• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like the new Slack logo?

• Yes

Votes: 102 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 258 62.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 55 13.3%

• Total voters

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People never like new things. I think it's fine, and trust the designers at Slack worked diligent on a direction they wanted for the logo and are likely more talented than 99% of the people here shitting on it.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Busier than their old logo, and lacks any clear "upgrade" over their old logo. Nothing about their old logo looked outdated.

Bad move.

Jan 15, 2019
Seems fine to me. Reminds me of a top-down view of a water fountain. No idea how that relates to slack, but it doesn't bother me.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the update on the Play Store and thought it was a joke. Then I read the blog post and I understand their thinking, but still not the new logo itself.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, if you draw a swastika on it and look at it in a mirror, it looks a bit like a swastika!

saint

Oct 27, 2017
trash tbh

Kinda looks like a swastika
18940.jpg

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It looks more corporate somehow, and its less pleasing visually. The previous logo didn't need a redesign. So overall I think it's a bit of a failure.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
New logo looks better, 4 people with speech bubbles, much easier for single color readability and much more brand / printer friendly.

The old logo was 8 different colors with no clear separation and no distinction. The new logo certainly has cleaner lines and a more corporate look, which is important since they go public soon. This is an improvement.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
jeeeeez the swastika take is a reach and a half. I also like the person that drew it in, because you just filled in blank space and ignored other blank space to make it happen.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The swastika thing is kind of a reach, but the new logo is just straight up bad and I don't know why companies insist on continuing to do this shit. There was literally no reason to change the logo other than someone getting antsy one day and deciding to do it.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
The last design was the pound sign / hashtag. THIS is less distinctive than something on your keyboard?

The reason it was a hashtag is it's because it's used extensively in the app. The new logo doesn't appear to represent anything - maybe speech bubbles at a stretch. I can see why they changed it, but they could have done better.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Slack is great. I'm working on projects with a group scattered across North America and it easily keeps everyone on task.

The new logo is strictly worse, but I also don't care, so whatever.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason it was a hashtag is it's because it's used extensively in the app. The new logo doesn't appear to represent anything - maybe speech bubbles at a stretch. I can see why they changed it, but they could have done better.

The worst part about having the logo visualize speech bubbles is that slack doesn't even have message bubble. It might be a more utilitarian logo in implementation but the identity is diminished

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised they went in this direction. Seems so noisy.

The only reason I could see them going for a more complex, noisier logo is that it's tough to protect their IP on a symbol that's part of the public domain and used everywhere to have a very different meaning. Most people identify the pound/hash symbol either as a number sign (#1) or as a hashtag (#NotAllPenguins), and while pound/hash can be used as a hashtag within slack, it's not really the primary functionality of slack, and it could give an impression that the product is a social media product instead of a workplace collaboration/communication tool.

Still, it's kinda rare to see companies making more complex logos these days.

I voted 'Undecided' because everybody hates new logos and then you quickly come to get used to them and then in most cases you eventually realize the new logo is better than the old logo, and you later think "ugh, that old logo is SO ugly, I'm glad I always hated it" ... then they introduce a new logo and the cycle repeats.

Last edited:

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really surprised they went in this direction. Seems so noisy.

The only reason I could see them going for a more complex, noisier logo is that it's tough to protect their IP on a symbol that's part of the public domain and used everywhere to have a very different meaning. Most people identify the pound/hash symbol either as a number sign (#1) or as a hashtag (#NotAllPenguins), and while pound/hash can be used as a hashtag within slack, it's not really the primary functionality of slack, and it could give an impression that the product is a social media product instead of a workplace collaboration/communication tool.

Still, it's kinda rare to see companies making more complex logos these days.

I voted 'Undecided' because everybody hates new logos and then you quickly come to get used to them and then in most cases you realize the new logo is better than the old logo, and you later think "ugh, that old logo is SO ugly"

All the channels are prefixed with the pound sign though(which itself is a holdover from IRC). I think it's closer to their actual functionality than you're describing

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
All the channels are prefixed with the pound sign though(which itself is a holdover from IRC). I think it's closer to their actual functionality than you're describing

Oh, that's true, forgot about that. I wonder if maybe they're going to start to move away from that... There's really no reason the channels are prefixed with it, and I think most people still identify # as a hashtag on something like Twitter, so if you're not a customer you might get the impression that Slack is similar to Twitter or serves the same purpose.

Or, who knows, maybe they got sued by Bell Labs.

I liked the old logo more (Well as of today I do, I'm sure I'll get used to the new one and then forget about the old one), but just trying to rationalize why they'd go or a way noisier, more complex, less familiar logo in this day and age when almost every new logo design goes in the opposite direction.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's true, forgot about that. I wonder if maybe they're going to start to move away from that... There's really no reason the channels are prefixed with it, and I think most people still identify # as a hashtag on something like Twitter, so if you're not a customer you might get the impression that Slack is similar to Twitter or serves the same purpose.

Or, who knows, maybe they got sued by Bell Labs.

I liked the old logo more (Well as of today I do, I'm sure I'll get used to the new one and then forget about the old one), but just trying to rationalize why they'd go or a way noisier, more complex, less familiar logo in this day and age when almost every new logo design goes in the opposite direction.

I definitely empathize with their design teams, who knows how the conversations played out. FWIW they got an agency to do this redesign so it didn't all come internally (although I'm sure there's close collaboration obviously).

They also rolled it out simultaneously world wide which is no small feat.

My current company went through a brand refresh recently and While it's stupid those kind of decisions are hardly democratic.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
What the hell was wrong with the old logo?

They detail that in their blog post.

The old design had overlapping colors, so there were about 11 distinctive colors in the logo, making it hard for people to easily reproduce and it was too often done incorrectly. Also, they didn't like when people didn't put the logo on the correct 18 degree axis tilt.

They also had several logos across devices because of this (a simple black & white one, a plain "S" design without the pound/hash symbol, etc).

So they wanted something with a simpler color design with no tilt.

https://slackhq.com/say-hello-new-logo

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They detail that in their blog post.

The old design had overlapping colors, so there were about 11 distinctive colors in the logo, making it hard for people to easily reproduce and it was too often done incorrectly. Also, they didn't like when people didn't put the logo on the correct 18 degree axis tilt.

They also had several logos across devices because of this (a simple black & white one, a plain "S" design without the pound/hash symbol, etc).

So they wanted something with a simpler color design with no tilt.

https://slackhq.com/say-hello-new-logo

Blaaaaaaah. Inferior.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like it. People meeting at a table.

The old hashtag was good too but you can't really use a hashtag as your logo these days, it has too many other places where that is a key thing (Twitter, Discord, on and on).

Mostly I'm just glad we're getting away from the single large letter "icons" for mobile apps, it was a little lame for a bit there.