• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't you know? Racing games are not games. The "games" part is an illusion

No matter how little you care about racing games, if you really think A Way Out deserve a spot in a top 25 over Forza, i don't know what to tell you
You do know that people could've simply just not played it right? A Way Out is probably my most disappointing game of the year, it'd still be higher than a game I didn't play and have no plans to, because I don't care about racing games and haven't for about 10 years now.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 was pretty enjoyable but i have no issue with where it's placed.

I'm glad to see Celeste so high. It's my current GOTY. I'm curious to see if anything from this year will top it - especially GoW, which I'm currently playing and enjoying.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Solid list and placement for everything in my books. Best one I have seen so far.

Also really appreciate the high Iconoclasts inclusion. Its an incredible game that didn't get as much coverage as some of the other titles through the year such as Celeste and Florance

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Good write ups for this list, definitely worth checking out if you just skimmed the numerical list and nothing else.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i love lists that do not just include the usual big AAA games in the top 10, and their RDR2 review was excellently written.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
seeing Florence in the top games of 2018 wow now I'm excited to try it.

Obra Dinn is too overwhelming for me. You literally have to pay attention. Haha.

Forgotton Anne looks superrrr interesting.

Also awww Dead Cells barely missed the top 10. it's #1 for me in 2018 forreal.

Celeste - - - i stopped playing with the introduction of the ghost thingy. hahaha.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I will never understand the love Spider Man is getting, with it's empty, dated, cookie cutter openworld.

gameplay is fun, story is pretty good and mature, traversal is really fun...

yeah the open-world isn't the best but you don't play spidey for the open-world. i legit have not liked a single side-mission in spidey at all.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And Hitman 2 was a rushjob with awful cinematics and no story. I enjoyed the core gameplay but #9?

I think if you're playing Hitman for the story then you're Doing It Wrong.

Hitman at this point is totally meta and taking the piss out cliched video game stories.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You do know that people could've simply just not played it right? A Way Out is probably my most disappointing game of the year, it'd still be higher than a game I didn't play and have no plans to, because I don't care about racing games and haven't for about 10 years now.

I will never play a fight game and I know Smash deserves a place on the list.

Race games are like any other genre and FH4 100% deserves a place on this list.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent list, Mon Hun is missing but that is okay. RDR2 should drop a few places still.
This entire list is filled with goodies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Obra Dinn is too overwhelming for me. You literally have to pay attention. Haha.

Yeah, I wish I could pull the article but there was a story about this some time back related to another game.

The upshot was that there are games where the "gameplay" part is right there on the screen in front of you. Mostly reflex stuff like shooters, platformers, etc.

Then there's titles where the gameplay takes place in your head. Where the stimulus on the screen makes the gears in your head turn. That's where most of the action takes place, using reason and making deductions with your noodle. You find this a lot with puzzlers, strategy games, etc.

Obra Dinn is the perfect example of a game where the gameplay is you playing detective in your head. Using real-world detective logic.

Simply amazing.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yeah, I wish I could pull the article but there was a story about this some time back related to another game.

The upshot was that there are games where the "gameplay" part is right there on the screen in front of you. Mostly reflex stuff like shooters, platformers, etc.

Then there's titles where the gameplay takes place in your head. Where the stimulus on the screen makes the gears in your head turn. That's where most of the action takes place, using reason and making deductions with your noodle. You find this a lot with puzzlers, strategy games, etc.

Obra Dinn is the perfect example of a game where the gameplay is you playing detective in your head. Using real-world detective logic.

Simply amazing.

i literally stopped playing after the 2nd body. lol. i'm not really in that place in my life right now to play something like this. literally an investment. ahaha.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should really play iconoclasts. Especially since it's already installed
Also into the breach over red dead is fucking awesome

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the hate about Spiderman.
- It does everything better than any other super hero game out there
- Tells a good Spiderman story.
- Gives space to other characters to grow
- Amazing traversal
- Really satisfying combat

I feel people who complain about the combat didn't try different suits, combos, abilities and gadgets. There is just so much variation there.

I understand the open world is not as detailed as some other games out there. But here the world is created for Spiderman to traverse in smoothly. It's the traversal which dictates the world design.

I think people forget how hard is to make a extremely polished superhero game and Insomniac has achieved all this in their first game. It's not perfect sure, but not awful some people make it out to be.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Seems like a really good list. Surprised RDR2 is that low, and I figured a few more AAA games would have made it, but seeing smaller/indie games get so much love is awesome. If we semi-arbitrarily smush some indie games that saw wider release this year, 2018 has to be the best year ever for indies and smaller games right?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any list that doesn't have RDR2 in the top 10 gets an automatic approval from me.

As someone who thought GOW3 was okay and disliked Ascension, God Of War was pretty ace. I like this version of Kratos.

Need to play Spider-Man soon.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI being forgotten again completely I see. Also, no Monster Boy, but I suppose they want their lists out early instead of actually waiting for all the releases this year.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
i literally stopped playing after the 2nd body. lol. i'm not really in that place in my life right now to play something like this. literally an investment. ahaha.

I can dig it.

You def have to be in the right head space (eh? eh?) to get into it.

I wish I had a nickle for every time I was hyped for months for an upcoming game, insta-buying the moment it went on sale, only to have it languish on the pile when I realized I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of experience at the moment.

Anyway, be sure to check back in with Obra Dinn when the mood strikes!

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
The number of RE users who simply want these lists to reflect their own opinions back at them is a little unsettling.

Is it really unsettlig?

I mean what else is there to talk about besides the aesthetics involved in how people would rank these things? That's all there is to do, unless someone's interested in why this particular publication had these particular choices.

I mean why even be on a discussion board?

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
It's just a list based on the opinions of a handful of people. It doesn't invalidate your own opinion and your opinion doesn't invalidate their list. Don't get your knickers in a twist. Just view these kinds of lists as recommendations and/or suggestions for games the author(s) think(s) are really worth your time. You might discover something cool.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018
I don't get the hate about Spiderman.
- It does everything better than any other super hero game out there
- Tells a good Spiderman story.
- Gives space to other characters to grow
- Amazing traversal
- Really satisfying combat

I feel people who complain about the combat didn't try different suits, combos, abilities and gadgets. There is just so much variation there.

I understand the open world is not as detailed as some other games out there. But here the world is created for Spiderman to traverse in smoothly. It's the traversal which dictates the world design.

I think people forget how hard is to make a extremely polished superhero game and Insomniac has achieved all this in their first game. It's not perfect sure, but not awful some people make it out to be.
I liked Spiderman a whole lot, but I think your first point is way off. The Arkham games do a much better job of contextualizing side quests and activities in a cool way. Azrael stalking you in Arkham City, the Pyg quest in Arkham Knight, the ManBat stuff in Arkham Knight, and the Hush missions in Arkham City all come to mind just off the top of my head. It's a small(ish) thing, but something I felt was sorely lacking in Spiderman. The Tombstone questline was neat, I just wish there was way more like it.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really unsettlig?

I mean what else is there to talk about besides the aesthetics involved in how people would rank these things? That's all there is to do, unless someone's interested in why this particular publication had these particular choices.

I mean why even be on a discussion board?

Maybe they could, I dunno, click on the link and read the write-ups? Grumbling about *insert popular game here* not being high enough for your taste is really annoying and nitpicky. The write-ups are what's important, not the order.

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I can dig it.

You def have to be in the right head space (eh? eh?) to get into it.

I wish I had a nickle for every time I was hyped for months for an upcoming game, insta-buying the moment it went on sale, only to have it languish on the pile when I realized I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of experience at the moment.

Anyway, be sure to check back in with Obra Dinn when the mood strikes!

yes, when i have some down time. i really just wanna sell all my AAA games on ps4 and just get all those indie games....or just go back to Dead Cells and feel miserable for sucking.

I'm thinking of getting Florence right now..continuing Celeste...man there are a lot of really good indie games out there..
ugh i wish the ps4 was portable so i don;t have to sit in front of the monitor and just lie in my bed or go wherever in the house and just play...