• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

tenor.gif

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i bought Yoku's at launch and had a great time with it.

never played a Metroidvania pinball game before :-P

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I will never play a fight game and I know Smash deserves a place on the list.

Race games are like any other genre and FH4 100% deserves a place on this list.
Nah, nothing deserve anything just because, they didn't even review FH4, it's likely they didn't play, if you have no opinion on something it's not making your GoTY list.
Now, you could argue these site should play all the big hitters (assuming they just haven't) of the year before making the list, which I'd agree with.

Last edited:

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Am I missing something with Iconoclasts? I guess it could just not be for me but the game seems just kinda...fine. A tier above something like Owlboy for me but definitely far below Celeste/The Messenger/Dead Cells for me. I about halfway through the game right now and nothing seems to really stick out a whole lot.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay? What are we supposed to get out of your post or respond to what you just wrote? His opinion is an outlier, but it is his opinion, even punctuated by the "Personally."
You've added a lot to the discussion. Thanks. Point being he didn't see why it got the praise it did. I told him why. He disagrees. Most people don't. End of story.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iconoclasts is so high on the list put a smile on my face. Really enjoyed that game much more than celeste

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Are you daring him? Are you double-daring him?

Anyway, Forgotton Anne, Yoku's Island Express, Dandara and Octahedron all got a mention, so I'm happy with that at least...I think those are four really good games that are going to get overlooked by many both now and in retrospect sadly.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed Spider-Man and it's too high. Top 5, sure but not number 2. RDR2 is too low and FH4 continues to get snubbed.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Looks nothing like my list, but that's fine. I think Vampyr and Kingdom Come: Deliverance should be on the list.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Lots of stuff on here I'd been eyeing but hadn't committed to yet.

25. Forgotten Anne
22. GRIS
19. Yoku's Island Express
15. Into the Breach
12. The Messenger
8. Celeste
7. Guacamelee! 2
6. Subnautica
4. Iconoclasts
3. Return of the Obra Dinn
1. God of War

That's a good 10 game recommendations for me to follow-up on, basically.

I love these lists from non-gaming outlets.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I honestly think that this is the best Game of the Year list so far!

I love the diversity on display, the range of different genres, the quality of these games — be it big like Spider-Man and God of War or small like Donut Country and Guacamelee! 2 — as well as being a genuine surprise to go through compared to the predictability of other 'safe' lists.

The only thing I would personally disagree with with regards to this thread is to those whom say that this is somehow an 'awful' list...

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
That's a good 10 game recommendations for me to follow-up on, basically.

I love these lists from non-gaming outlets.

?

Slant Magazine has a whole section devoted to games and they review a bunch of releases every year.

I'm surprised RDR2 made the list at all, given how lukewarm the review was. But, as an outlet, they've shown how their critical reviews can be far removed from their year end lists (e.g. they put Wolfenstein 2 on the year-end list for 2017, and then later one of their reviewers gave the game a 3/10).

Happy to see how diverse their list is, though. Slant, RPS, Kotaku...outlets that are willing to accept that indies can match and exceed AAA development despite having small teams and smaller budgets. Those are the types of outlets I respect.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Iconoclasts so high in a list makes me very happy. I haven't played the big budget releases of 2018, but Iconoclasts is one of the best indies of the year

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
GoW wouldn't be my no 1 (then again, mine's is probably Vampyr, so I realise I'm pretty much alone in that thinking), but between this list and Paste's, I've got a shitload of indies to be checking out sooner rather than later.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Lmao RDR2 at 16 and No Spider Man. But then i remember its Slant so good for clicks i guess

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
But the distinction I'm making is that Slant has never been a pure gaming outlet, and so has never had the culture of one, and we'll therefore see games rise to the top that you wouldn't see from a place like IGN.
I see that distinction, I'm just going against it because there are plenty of sites that put more of a focus on indie developers, and many of them are focused solely on gaming. RPS, Kotaku, Killscreen (RIP), Cliqist, among many others. I will agree that A.V. Club, The Guardian, and the New Yorker tend to have really interesting lists too. We're on the same side.

Lmao RDR2 at 16 and No Spider Man. But then i remember its Slant so good for clicks i guess

Right, because Slant so clearly operates off of click-bait journalism. /s

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I really should get around to playing Obra Dinn.

I thought The Messenger was pretty mediocre. Different tastes and all, but I think Into the Breach is way, way more enjoyable and thoughtful than The Messenger is.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I love how their opening is basically talking about the reactions in this thread.

Just as useful, though, is to be able to champion the unsung in the face of consensus. We can laud the expansive world of Red Dead Redemption 2 and the underwater alien vistas of Subnautica in the same breath. This list recognizes games many of us love, but it devotes as much space to ones a few of us are passionate about: the outsider art of Arbitrary Metric or Hidetaka Suehiro, the RPG-mirrored journey of a man named Gary, a cooperative prison break, a pulsating neon-tinged platformer. We prefer to think of consensus less as a means to silence dissent than as a way to hack away at the brush and clear a path for our own individual passions, as well as leave space for you to find your own. Steven Scaife

It's a great list with a great selection of games of all kinds and sizes. Use this opportunity to try new things and expand your tastes, instead of dismissing them.

Can't wait to see this forum's reaction to the Giant Bomb top 10 list.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Agreed with one and two, though I'd personally swap them. I simply enjoyed Spider-Man more from a pure entertainment perspective. God of War is incredible in its own rights, however.

God of War and Spider-Man at the top? Idk about that, RDR2 being so low is also side eye worthy..

Spider-Man is my favorite fictional character in the world but those forced stealth missions dropped that game from a 100 to a 79 for me. Hopefully that and forced puzzles are stripped from the sequel.
I wouldn't go that far, but yeah—easily the weakest part of an otherwise incredible experience.