• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War and Spider-Man at the top? Idk about that, RDR2 being so low is also side eye worthy..

Spider-Man is my favorite fictional character in the world but those forced stealth missions dropped that game from a 100 to a 79 for me. Hopefully that and forced puzzles are stripped from the sequel.
Couldn't you disable the puzzles from the menu?

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm surprised so many critics love the story and non-Spiderman bits of that game. I'm not against the premise and it's certainly an effective way to flesh out the characters, but I agree that the gameplay during those sections left a lot to be desired.

Speaking of only story, I think it's probably the best representation of Spider-Man/Peter Parker out there, story-wise, coming from someone that always had a connection to the character. You can have a point about gameplay, and definitely open world, I think the story and web-slinging were just top-tier than can help overlook those flaws.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Monster Hunter is certainly an omission, but we can't expect everyone to play every game out there all the time.

Overall a pretty solid list

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not having Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom makes their list suck. I know it just came out in December but they also shouldn't be making year lists before everything's out anyway.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up Paratopic (not Paratropic, OP) and I discovered that one of the devs is our very own DocSeuss! At least I think so, based on the Twitter name and avatar. Will definitely check that out sometime.

Also a bunch of good indie representation up there. Good to see Into the Breach and Obra Dinn taking up spots in many lists. I'd completely missed Legendary Gary and Forgotten Anne, glad to have discovered them!

Yup, that's me! Heterotopias did a great writeup on us. AV Club has us in their GOTY list too. Personally I rated us a B on my GOTY list (which just ranks everything I finished lol) because we didn't have any shotguns.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I think so. It's some of the most intelligently designed games I've played. You really need to analyze almost every detail in the scene of death to determine how these specific people on a East India Trading Company ship met their fates. It's one of the best "brainstorm" games I've played.
I think it is.

For a mystery / detective game it gives the player a ton of freedom, it's gameplay is entirely unique and it's incredibly satisfying. It's the only game that I lost track of time playing this year.

Edit: also really glad to see The Missing on the list too.
Lucas Pope matched the quality of his previous work, Papers, Please, despite the fact that he created a game that is completely different in its scope and mechanics. So yeah, I'd say it's that good.
Absolutely. Not just arguably the best detective game ever made, but also one of the best puzzle games

Damn. Is this JUST on PC?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Spider-Man #2? Despite the generic open world and lame stealth missions? Nah fam.

And Hitman 2 was a rushjob with awful cinematics and no story. I enjoyed the core gameplay but #9?
I mean, literally no one plays Hitman for story and cinematics.

Honestly I wouldnt even care if they took out that portion for good.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Nice seeing Gris one the list yay! Also Sider-Man deserves more love considering what Insomniac achieved. The story and the ending specially was fantastic.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I mean, literally no one plays Hitman for story and cinematics.

Honestly I wouldnt even care if they took out that portion for good.
The mainline story, sure, but I think people really underestimate how much narrative chop (modern) Hitman really has. I'm around 70+ hours into H2 and I'm still finding new dialogue, new locations, and learning more about the marks and many characters that surround them. The writers at IO clearly had a lot of fun dreaming up a conspiracy that takes all sorts of Black Mirror-esque locations and future tech, and then finding ways to get a bunch of shady characters to cross paths along the way.

That said, the person you were quoting was just so offbase calling Hitman 2 a "rushjob." Hitman 2 may not have the CG cutscenes, but it has clearly put its budget where it matters, finding good to great VO for their diverse locations, and bringing new mechanics and upgrades across both Season 1 and 2.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Overall a decent list but I'm sad Kingdom Come: Deliverance is getting overlooked on all of these best of the year lists, it's a legit good rpg set in a historical backdrop that we simply don't get in gaming, especially one that detailed.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The mainline story, sure, but I think people really underestimate how much narrative chop (modern) Hitman really has. I'm around 70+ hours into H2 and I'm still finding new dialogue, new locations, and learning more about the marks and many characters that surround them. The writers at IO clearly had a lot of fun dreaming up a conspiracy that takes all sorts of Black Mirror-esque locations and future tech, and then finding ways to get a bunch of shady characters to cross paths along the way.

That said, the person you were quoting was just so offbase calling Hitman 2 a "rushjob." Hitman 2 may not have the CG cutscenes, but it has clearly put its budget where it matters, finding good to great VO for their diverse locations, and bringing new mechanics and upgrades across both Season 1 and 2.
Yeah, there's a lot of narrative within the level itself, everything surrounding the assassination target. IO does a really great job at that.

Well I guess I wasnt being specific enough in my original post. Meant to say the overarching narrative, with the cutscenes after each mission. I doubt many people even care about that.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In terms of gameplay and traversal, it absolutely is.

I can't believe people actually willingly did those puzzles, I skipped them every single time.

The gameplay is better in Spider-Man yet you willingly turned off one of its gameplay mechanics? The fact you can even turn them off speaks about that.

I enjoyed Spider-Man and I do get your point. The swinging and combat was great but there isn't a universe that exists where it's a better game than red dead 2.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is better in Spider-Man yet you willingly turned off one of its gameplay mechanics? The fact you can even turn them off speaks about that.

I mean, it was just puzzles lmao, not exactly a highlight of the game, should be obvious what I'm referring to here in regards to finding Spider-Man's gameplay more enjoyable than RDR2's. But since you brought it up, I sure wish RDR2 had something similar at times...

The swinging and combat was great but there isn't a universe that exists where it's a better game than red dead 2.

For you, that is the case. For me, not so much. It's called an opinion.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I enjoyed Spider-Man and I do get your point. The swinging and combat was great but there isn't a universe that exists where it's a better game than red dead 2.
There is even a universe where Sea of Theievs is better than RDR2 for someone, it's time to accept opinions.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Different opinions, obviously.
Spider-Man doesn't deserve 2nd place. Also, placing Guacamelee and Hitman and Subnautica above RDR2 is just fishing for controversy. "Look at us, we're different!" Doesn't matter that it makes zero sense, as long as it's different :P

Lol, so pretty much what I thought.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man doesn't deserve 2nd place. Also, placing Guacamelee and Hitman and Subnautica above RDR2 is just fishing for controversy. "Look at us, we're different!" Doesn't matter that it makes zero sense, as long as it's different :P
Ah yes, the unfathomably completely nonsensical possibility that people find those games more enjoyable/impressive/memorable and/or resonant and impactful than [insert popular AAA game]. Trying to be controversial is the only logical conclusion

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ah yes, the unfathomably completely nonsensical possibility that people find those games more enjoyable/impressive/memorable and/or resonant and impactful than [insert popular AAA game]. Trying to be controversial is the only logical conclusion

Your guess is as good as mine. Unless you can somehow prove they actually enjoyed those games more in exactly that order (and it better be measurable), your belief in making that list in good faith has exactly the same weight as my belief they fish for controversy.
Opinions, man.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Forgotton Anne is a dumb name for exactly this reason.
Maybe. But if someone's going to make a thread about this list, then you'd expect them to spell it right, especially when it's the very fist line of the OP. Slant Magazine did spell it right, after all.

People spelling it wrong are expected. There's still people misspelling Soul CalibEr, 20 years down the line.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Your guess is as good as mine. Unless you can somehow prove they actually enjoyed those games more in exactly that order (and it better be measurable), your belief in making that list in good faith has exactly the same weight as my belief they fish for controversy.
Opinions, man.
It's not a guess. It's the inherent nature of what these lists are, further shown by the writers literally telling you why the games resonanted with them

Your belief is flawed and weightless the instant you baselessly jump to agenda and controversy when countless individual and publication rankings, and this very list, have shown these are a matter of subjective personal tastes

Is this only a games thing for you? Or are Best Of movies lists that put indie and such films ahead of popular blockbusters also just trying to be controversial?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's not a guess. It's the inherent nature of what these lists are, further shown by the writers literally telling you why the games resonanted with them

Your belief is flawed and weightless the instant you baselessly jump to agenda and controversy when countless individual and publication rankings, and this very list, have shown these are a matter of subjective personal tastes

Is this only a games thing for you? Or are Best Of movies lists that put indie and such films ahead of popular blockbusters also just trying to be controversial?

I actually don't care that much, I don't need external validation of my taste.
I just think this list is silly, but I don't dig too much into their motivation, if this is how they enjoyed the games, more power to them. It's baffling to me how anyone can value Hitman 2 more than RDR2, but sure, people are different.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't care that much, I don't need external validation of my taste.
I just think this list is silly, but I don't dig too much into their motivation, if this is how they enjoyed the games, more power to them. It's baffling to me how anyone can value Hitman 2 more than RDR2, but sure, people are different.
Same reason I value Upgrade and Overlord more than Infinity War?

I'm baffled that you're baffled that people value things differently for different reasons

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
lol Hitman 2 for me is miles better than RDR 2.