• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Bxde9fT.jpg

Now Featuring the 4th character!
1143416521id15773gol.jpg

IvIH0M1.png

And welcome to the Slay the Spire Official Thread now available for the PS4 and the Switch! (you know I would've made a Silent green version of the game if an Xbox one version was announced)

Price: $25/£19.49/20,99€
5njO3e6.png

General Gameplay:

Slay the Spire is a Rouge-like card game where you progress into rooms getting more cards and relics (passive effects that can help you in battle) trying to battle your way out.

This screenshot pretty much shows you the big meat of the game

xwIOrE6.jpg

There are a lot more elements in play but the game does explain the passive if you hover over the card or character(s) and generally playing the game and watching can give you a good sense of how things go.
Progress through a map and make your way to the boss.

For just a few tips:
  1. Don't take every card when offered the chance. You usually want to get an archetype rolling going through the game so think if this card will be helpful and hell you usually want to get rid of basic strikes and defends to not bloat your deck with them (unless you are running something that can use basic strikes i.e. perfected strike card deals more damage with the amount of cards with the name "strike" on them)
  2. At the end of each boss you are fully healed (unless you are playing accession mode at a certain level)
  3. Check the map at the start of the game and after each act. It will give you a good idea of where you want to go and what you can get along the way
  4. Most importantly, figure out the synergies and what type of deck you want to go with each run. You'll start to piece together the combos quickly.

lSAz4VK.png

1. Standard - This is the basic mode of the game where you make your way up the spire.
  2. Daily Climb - Once a day a universal run with its own rule sets are put out to everyone. See how well you can do against the community with the same run
  3. Custom - Bored of the game being too standard, just implement your own challenge run with Custom rule which lets you set the parameters for each run

Playable Characters:

updatedcharactersheetr8j03.png

The Ironclad
"The remaining soldiers of the Ironclads. Sold his soul to harness demonic energies."
A pretty straightforward class that can dish out solid offence with some good defensive cards (depends on how you build the character). His starting relic lets him heal 6 HP at the end of each combat. Personally the Ironclad is a perfectly good beginner character.

The Silent
Unlocked by completing a run as the Ironclad
"A deadly huntress from the foglands. Eradicate foes with daggers and poisons."
The next playable character and like the description she uses daggers and poisons to defeat her foes. Her starting relic makes her draw an additional 2 cards at the start of the combat. Her biggest plays are usually skill orientated but she can still pack a punch.

The Defect
Unlocked by completing a run as the Silent
"Combat automaton which became self-aware. Ancient technology allows manipulation of Orbs."
The 3rd playable character and can manipulate orbs offensively or defensively depending on the orb used (or ignore them depending on the deck you built). The defect also boasts an assortment of power cards that can turn things around.

New Character!!: The Watcher
Unlocked by completing a run as the Defect...I think
"A blind ascetic who has come to "Evaluate" the Spire. Master of the divine stances"
The 4th and final playable character, the watcher has the ability of switching between 3 stances. Wrath lets you deal double damage at the cost of taking double damage, Clam gives you 2 energy upon switching out and entering divinity nets you 3 energy while dealing triple damage.

Workshop support:
The steam version of this game supports workshop so you can add in new (anime) characters or mechanics.....or googly eyes...that works. To use the mods when launching the game select "Play with mods"

System Requirements:

Windows
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: 2.0 Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 256mb Video Memory, capable of OpenGL 2.0+ support
    • Storage: 1 GB available space
Mac:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 256mb Video Memory, capable of OpenGL 3.0+ support (2.1 with ARB extensions acceptable)
Linux+SteamOS:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 128mb Video Memory, capable of OpenGL 3.0+ support (2.1 with ARB extensions acceptable)
Switch:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Own a working switch
PS4:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Own a working PS4
Xbox One:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Own a working Xbox One

Screenshots:

Media

Thank you for reading through this thread and remember, the rug is not for sale.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
This was my pre-Tetris Effect GOTY last year until it got delayed out of the year (and it technically started early access in 2016....)
Can't wait for more people to try it!

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've put a decent number of hours into this game, and I love it. It scratches my strategy itch pretty well, cause there are a lot of important decisions every run.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Love that game, too bad my PC doesn't work anymore... i was playing nearly daily to that game...

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Finally got this during the Winter Steam Sale as it was supposedly the last time the game would be on sale for a while. It has basically replaced Hearthstone and Artifact as my go-to game of choice. I just completed a run as the Ironclad and am now working on beating it as the Silent. It's like a whole new game now as I have to learn all the new cards and see what synergies work best with her(?)

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic deck builder. Played it a ton last year and still keep coming back to the daylie climb. Shoe in for my top 10 2019

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best game I'm the worst at. After a few weeks of trying I have finally managed to kill the third boss... using a constructed deck. I suck.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"This screenshot pretty much shows you how the big meat of the game is."

Great sentence. Really looking forward to the Switch release.

0xBADC0FFEE

Principal Gameplay Programmer @ Splash Damage
Verified
Dec 2, 2017
London
I'm playing it on my GPD Win 2 <3 it's not a cheap handheld but I now have my whole steam library accessible on a tiny device and it's just great

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Played over 300 hours of it while in early access. With workshop support on steam, I foresee several dozens more hours. And I'll buy it on Switch too probably. Will be in my top 3 for sure this year

Jan 4, 2018
I've put over a hundred hours into this game and still pick it up every now and then. If you're thinking about getting this then please do. It's worth it, 100%. Gonna go home and play this after work today now that it's on my mind.

Also, yes I would kill for this game on mobile.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Already put 120+hrs into it. On Ascension 19 for all 3 classes. There really isn't too much out there like this game. Smartly designed, early access honed to a fine edge. If you enjoy card drafting or roguelikes, give this a shot.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel like I am doing so well, and then I get to the boss of the floor and get wrecked

I don't think I've ever been past the third boss

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like I am doing so well, and then I get to the boss of the floor and get wrecked

I don't think I've ever been past the third boss

One thing that really helped me is that the boss's damage scales somewhat to your current health, so it's sometimes beneficial to not completely top off at the bonfire before the boss.

Bosses also tend to be deck breakers, almost specifically designed to counter common strats like stacking debuffs or playing the long game.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that really helped me is that the boss's damage scales somewhat to your current health, so it's sometimes beneficial to not completely top off at the bonfire before the boss.

Bosses also tend to be deck breakers, almost specifically designed to counter common strats like stacking debuffs or playing the long game.

I know one of the floor one bosses, Hexaghost, had scaling damage based on your health, but I don't know if the other bosses do that. I know I try to keep low HP if I am fighting Hexaghost, but always try to heal up for the others.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I know one of the floor one bosses, Hexaghost, had scaling damage based on your health, but I don't know if the other bosses do that. I know I try to keep low HP if I am fighting Hexaghost, but always try to heal up for the others.

I could be wrong but I'm almost positive it applies to other bosses. Though most other bosses have attacks that are almost effectively OHKOs as the fights drag on.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Have over 200 hours playing it since it went into early access. Amazing game, and hope to see it grow more.

Did they have a relatively recent update to the dailies? They seem way easier now, as I'm finishing almost every one the last 2-3 weeks.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I like to think of it as bosses force you to build specific contingencies into your deck. Not all decks will work against every boss, so you're given the entire act to pivot your deck in that direction. The best decks are either hyperfocused to the point where they will beat any boss or flexible enough to adapt to most scenarios.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
One of very few games I bought in Early Access, and don't regret it at all.

That said, what all has changed? I think the last time I played was when The Defect was first released. Anything exciting since then, or just tweaks and balance changes?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've owned this game for a long time due to a Steam sale, and only just played it today for the first time due to it launching. Holy shit, what a pleasant surprise! I could definitely see this being the Dead Cells of card strategy games, it's super easy to understand, and really playable.

I think I'm gonna stop now though, because I absolutely want to own it on Switch. Even iPad would be an excellent place to play.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Such a quality game. Absolutely incredible. I'm not a fan of card games / deck builders usually, but StS got its hooks in me real good. I think this will be one that will be remembered for a good while as one of the great roguelikes during the current resurgence.

Nov 25, 2017
Great OT, thanks!

Just unlocked Ascension 14 with Ironclad. It was a bit chaotic, because I got this artifact that gives you random cards for every exhausted card, ruining any sort of coherent build - especially when status cards are involved.

One thing I have to admit to is occasional save scumming. When I'm about to loose but think I could have won with a different strategy, I save the game and the fight resets (with unchanged card order and RNG). It can be very satisfying to win completely unwinnable fights that way, gives me a similar feeling to beating an impossible "into the breach" map.

This sort of save scumming also works when one has accidentally made a bad purchase or picked the wrong boss reward. I have to think that the devs left this possibility in the game on purpose, as it would have been trivial to implement a safe system that saves the exact state without resetting.

My GOTY 2018 and probably also 2019.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
One of very few games I bought in Early Access, and don't regret it at all.

That said, what all has changed? I think the last time I played was when The Defect was first released. Anything exciting since then, or just tweaks and balance changes?

Besides balance changes and new relics, some new enemies got added to Act 3, there's finally an Act 4, complete with a final boss, but you need to collect keys during your run in order to access it. New events have been added. An endless mode with various modifers has been added; you can turn on as many modifiers as you'd like.

Anyways, am I the only one who hates the Ironclad? I understand his cards and how he is supposed to be played, but I struggle way more with him than the other classes. Defect is pretty much EZ mode for me, and I always enjoy playing as Silent. I'm up to A19 with Defect but still A12 with Ironclad, Silent iirc I'm at A15-A16. I don't play as much as I did before, but that's because I'm much busier.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp I couldn't have it on my list last year because it wasn't fully released, but this is fantastic news.

I highly recommend this game to ANYONE, and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if this ends up being my Game of the Year 2019, hundreds of hours sunk in so far and still just as fun as I first started.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
If you somehow haven't gotten this game and are interested, it's totally worth it, even with the higher price. I had to Force steam to remove it from my account because I was playing it too much, especially once they added Mod support. Worth every penny.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Get on board. This game has legs like you wouldn't believe. As replayable and consistently challenging as Isaac.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Besides balance changes and new relics, some new enemies got added to Act 3, there's finally an Act 4, complete with a final boss, but you need to collect keys during your run in order to access it. New events have been added. An endless mode with various modifers has been added; you can turn on as many modifiers as you'd like.

Anyways, am I the only one who hates the Ironclad? I understand his cards and how he is supposed to be played, but I struggle way more with him than the other classes. Defect is pretty much EZ mode for me, and I always enjoy playing as Silent. I'm up to A19 with Defect but still A12 with Ironclad, Silent iirc I'm at A15-A16. I don't play as much as I did before, but that's because I'm much busier.
Idk what it is about the Ironclad I am just not getting. He seems like the most straight forward character yet I can't seem to get anywhere with him. At least I managed to get to A17 with him but I really do not enjoy playing him as much as the Silent and Defect. Damage mitigation is immensely useful when building up your deck and the Ironclad suffers in that area where as the Silent excels at and the Defect is decent with before going buck wild (if you spec that way) at the final moments of a run