• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Made it to Act 4 Ascension 1 on my first attempt with Silent. Even barely reached the final boss with 2 HP. The run obviously ended there.
My deck felt pretty weak until the second half of act 2. It started coming together there.
Double shiv + that card that deals 10/14 damage after you play 5 cards + some poison synergies carried me pretty far.

Not sure there's much to come back to now, though. I probably won't be able to beat act 4 unless I get incredibly lucky.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
So weird... I've put quite a bit of time into the Switch version, and beat the game on my very first run w/ Ironclad, but just can't seem to do it with Silent and Defect, although I've had some great runs with them when I pull good cards and relics. I hate the runs w/ Silent when I can't seem to get any poison or shiv synergies, and same with Defect when I'm getting diddly-squat with orbs. Ironclad might be the least interesting, but seems to be the most consistent in terms of viability. And I just love those hands where I have no block strat and the enemy is going to hit me for like 50+. LOL Game is still amazingly fun to play. I don't feel this way about most roguelites.
I feel the exact same for Silent and Defect. I almost always have to start out on the defensive with these 2 early on. Synergies are slow to build up with these classes. If I encounter the red demon or conch elites early in A1 without a viable strat, I'm most likely fucked.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the exact same for Silent and Defect. I almost always have to start out on the defensive with these 2 early on. Synergies are slow to build up with these classes. If I encounter the red demon or conch elites early in A1 without a viable strat, I'm most likely fucked.
The first few times I played Defect, I think the game knew LOL, because my pulls were amazing. Had it to where I had max orbs pretty early on, I was rotating orbs out constantly, and wiping most encounters out with little trouble. At that point, I was thinking this was going to be my favorite character to play. Of course, you sometimes get those hands that just don't go well... you'll get a good defensive hand when the enemy isn't attacking, and then draw like ONE defense card when they come at you with everything they got. Oh yay, now I have 4HP, no potions, no tail, etc. I've been paying closer attention to my potions, but it never seems to be enough... every run since those early ones has been a huge struggle where I'm not even making it to Act 3.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So far I've had the easiest time with Silent.
It might have been luck, though. It either goes really well or turns bad pretty early on.
Defect might be the most fun, though.
Had the most trouble and least fun with the warrior character. The only great run I had was a crazy strength build but I had access to green cards for cheap, high damage.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I feel that runs can be a bit random on all 3, you can have the best run but then get an elite that kicks your ass due to your specific deck not having a good synergy with the encounter. I've had runs with great decks where i feel really OP and then just suddenly hit a wall.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
One thing I'd really like to see addressed: The Silent needs another card that boosts Dexterity.

The Ironclad and The Defect both have multiple cards that let you gain their main stat, but The Silent only has Footwork.

I had a run today that I was sure I was going to lose until I got 2 x Footwork in the last half of Act III.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy how this game changes the more you play.

I couldn't win much with Silent and had easy time with the 2 others.
And now I'm at Ascension 9 with Defect and Silent but struggle at 7 with Ironclad.

I think it's partly because of how they both have a better starting deck.

Can't wait to see the fourth character.
The first few times I played Defect, I think the game knew LOL, because my pulls were amazing. Had it to where I had max orbs pretty early on, I was rotating orbs out constantly, and wiping most encounters out with little trouble. At that point, I was thinking this was going to be my favorite character to play. Of course, you sometimes get those hands that just don't go well... you'll get a good defensive hand when the enemy isn't attacking, and then draw like ONE defense card when they come at you with everything they got. Oh yay, now I have 4HP, no potions, no tail, etc. I've been paying closer attention to my potions, but it never seems to be enough... every run since those early ones has been a huge struggle where I'm not even making it to Act 3.
That's where drawing cards shine. You can really manage the deck to reduce luck considerably if you build it well (and get decent relics. Building cash and visiting a few shops can sometimes deliver the right missing card/relic to go from "probably won't last" to "got a good chance at it now".
I always just go for one after a bonfire (and if I didn't get 0 attack cards cause that's all you should take beside an occasional rare skill) because it always seemq more efficient to get through these elites with strong offense over defense.
All 3 fights punish you severely if you're slow or defend too much.

So if I just try to find 2 to 4 good attacks (not too many high cost) and no skills beside rare obvious perfect cards I know will help.
Power cards are tricky. I take if it helps getting an attack burst (like focus for Defect) and of course Noxious Fumes and such that are always amazing.

I made it through act 3 with all characters pretty quickly, act 4 though? shesh, must have put over a hundred hours in to that act alone, came close a couple of times, but nope.
You never beat the heart ?
Or is it the 2 before ?

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I never seem to have enough life left after the boss before the final boss in Act 4 (the two facing you) to get very far into it.
Hmm...
I could see that as they can be very dangerous.
I wish I could give you a specific advice to help for them but I've been doing ascension runs for a long while and skipped act 4 each time.

Usually how many cards do you have at the end of a run ?
Do you sometimes/often skip card gift at the end of battle ?
Is there a character you feel better with ? If yes, which cards do you take/like the most ?
Oh and which event do you usually chose with the whale ?

Answer if you want lol.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...
I could see that as they can be very dangerous.
I wish I could give you a specific advice to help for them but I've been doing ascension runs for a long while and skipped act 4 each time.

Usually how many cards do you have at the end of a run ?
Do you sometimes/often skip card gift at the end of battle ?
Is there a character you feel better with ? If yes, which cards do you take/like the most ?
Oh and which event do you usually chose with the whale ?

Answer if you want lol.

Usually how many cards do you have at the end of a run ? somewhere between 20 and 30 maybe?
Do you sometimes/often skip card gift at the end of battle ? Quite often
Is there a character you feel better with ? If yes, which cards do you take/like the most ? Defect, depends how I am playing, usually heavy on the lightning orbs and focus cards, but I also seem to do alright when I do a hybrid lightning and ice orb deck.
Oh and which event do you usually chose with the whale ? Usually max hp if it's there, never change relic as I think (?) the assigned relic is key to the defect.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
You've now unlocked a new game feature: pick up three keys in your future runs to unlock Act IV (once per run). I wish the game would have explained that, since so many new players get confused by it.

Do you need to keep doing that every run? Does it only unlock if you get to the end of Act 3 in the run with the keys? Little things about this game is frustrating, I do enjoy it, it's my passive entertainment game, I have it on one screen while watching youtube/listening to podcast on another.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Do you need to keep doing that every run? Does it only unlock if you get to the end of Act 3 in the run with the keys? Little things about this game is frustrating, I do enjoy it, it's my passive entertainment game, I have it on one screen while watching youtube/listening to podcast on another.
You only have to do it if you want to access Act IV on that run, it's part of the challenge of reaching and beating that act. If you just want to play through normally or beat ascension levels, feel free to leave that part of the game alone.

One key comes from bonfires, one from chests, and one from an elite that's visible on the map, so it doesn't take that much extra attention.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I had never heard of Monster Slayers until now but I just watched a video, and yes, they seem similar. They're both games where you start a run with a deck of cards, and then upgrade those cards or add new cards to your deck.

There are some differences: the enemies in StS don't play cards, they just use abilities. Enemies in StS always show their intents (if they're going to attack, how much damage they'll do) so every turn has a puzzle-like aspect to it. StS doesn't have AP, it just has "energy" which looks like mana in Monster Slayers.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I had my first clear ever last night. Such an amazing feeling when I saw that boss health bar drop to 0. So that's Ironclad done -- now to move on to the other two.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I had never heard of Monster Slayers until now but I just watched a video, and yes, they seem similar. They're both games where you start a run with a deck of cards, and then upgrade those cards or add new cards to your deck.

There are some differences: the enemies in StS don't play cards, they just use abilities. Enemies in StS always show their intents (if they're going to attack, how much damage they'll do) so every turn has a puzzle-like aspect to it. StS doesn't have AP, it just has "energy" which looks like mana in Monster Slayers.
Thanks for the answer.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Usually how many cards do you have at the end of a run ? somewhere between 20 and 30 maybe?
Do you sometimes/often skip card gift at the end of battle ? Quite often
Is there a character you feel better with ? If yes, which cards do you take/like the most ? Defect, depends how I am playing, usually heavy on the lightning orbs and focus cards, but I also seem to do alright when I do a hybrid lightning and ice orb deck.
Oh and which event do you usually chose with the whale ? Usually max hp if it's there, never change relic as I think (?) the assigned relic is key to the defect.
Maybe you could give me the seed of one of your "almost succesful" runs. I'd like to see how it looks.

Just to be sure, you're not playing on any ascension difficulty, right ?

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Can any1 point me in the right direction for some tipps for the ironclad ?
Played some games with him ( at least 20+) and never get passed act2
With the silent i get in the first run to act 3 and now i am afraid to lose the progress :)
Nevertheless, my deck is even not optimal . Just a lot of card draw and poison.
Thanks already !

Cheers

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really struggle with the ironclad, so my thoughts maybe rubbish, but...

I think the playstyle is very attack focused, and any attempt to turtle up will fail (at least IME), you need big heavy attacks and finish the battle as quickly as possible, because the defensive options appear limited.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Um, Ironclad has probably the best defensive options in the game. One of its strongest deck archetypes is based purely on defensive. It's got Juggernaut, Blockade, Mettaliscize, a card that doubles your block, a card that inflicts damage based on your block and a whole host of other options.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um, Ironclad has probably the best defensive options in the game. One of its strongest deck archetypes is based purely on defensive. It's got Juggernaut, Blockade, Mettaliscize, a card that doubles your block, a card that inflicts damage based on your block and a whole host of other options.
Even with it's 6hp heal, I can never find enough block to get me very far, maybe it's just bad RNG luck.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of Ironclad's best block cards are powers or exhaust cards, but honestly the only times I've ever beaten Act IV with Ironclad I've been on a Barricade deck. You do tend to take some hits while setting up, but after a point you just become unstoppable.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I got to the heart but I don't know how I'm supposed to do that fight. Biggest problem in that boss and the previous one is that they give you a lot of unplayable cards, my deck had ~20 cards and like 5 of them were power cards.

My whole run was somewhat smooth thanks to the power cards (all upgraded throughout the run), I had 3 cards which generate 4 block at the start of the turn, one that made block not disappear at the start of the turn and another that did 7 damage everytime I blocked. Also 2 rage cards that cost 0 and give me 5 block everytime I attacked, which meant I was gaining 5 block and dealing damage+7 when I attacked. I had some good block cards too.

I was able to tank some crazy damage with them while also dealing a lot of damage, but since I got so many unplayable cards during the fights it reached a point where I only had like 1 or 2 cards to play despite having 4 energy...

This tells me that you most likely need a much bigger deck to tackle these fights which sucks because the bigger your deck is the more the game becomes luck based and it's hard to make a strategy. Bummer.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I got to the heart but I don't know how I'm supposed to do that fight. Biggest problem in that boss and the previous one is that they give you a lot of unplayable cards, my deck had ~20 cards and like 5 of them were power cards.

My whole run was somewhat smooth thanks to the power cards (all upgraded throughout the run), I had 3 cards which generate 4 block at the start of the turn, one that made block not disappear at the start of the turn and another that did 7 damage everytime I blocked. Also 2 rage cards that cost 0 and give me 5 block everytime I attacked, which meant I was gaining 5 block and dealing damage+7 when I attacked. I had some good block cards too.

I was able to tank some crazy damage with them while also dealing a lot of damage, but since I got so many unplayable cards during the fights it reached a point where I only had like 1 or 2 cards to play despite having 4 energy...

This tells me that you most likely need a much bigger deck to tackle these fights which sucks because the bigger your deck is the more the game becomes luck based and it's hard to make a strategy. Bummer.

You don't necessarily need a bigger deck, but you do need a way to deal with the extra cards the heart gives you, so you need card draw, or discard, or exhaust. Remember, the dazed and void will exhaust if they're still in your hand at the end of your turn.

FYI: Ironclad's Evolve is a hard counter to the extra status cards the heart gives you.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
You don't necessarily need a bigger deck, but you do need a way to deal with the extra cards the heart gives you, so you need card draw, or discard, or exhaust. Remember, the dazed and void will exhaust if they're still in your hand at the end of your turn.

FYI: Ironclad's Evolve is a hard counter to the extra status cards the heart gives you.

That never occured to me, now I feel dumb lol. Thanks for the tip!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm trying it. Lost once at the 3rd boss playing a bit too fast. Also took far too many cards and not many burst damage/block. Gonna try again a bit more focusing.

Here is one of my winning with the defect one so you can check how far you get. I can also post the review of it so you see the cards and relics if it can give any help for some reason.

EBf4sLuUIAECXVH

2RHD85VDIU1TE

But I feel like Silent runs might be more productive when it comes to getting better. Not sure how to explain why though lol.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Switch version updated this morning, any notes? It was a super fast download and I only checked and saw no online leaderboards, so I have no idea what they did.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Switch version updated this morning, any notes? It was a super fast download and I only checked and saw no online leaderboards, so I have no idea what they did.

I'm away from my Switch now, but people on the subreddit are saying Bullseye got fixed, Ascension selection got fixed, and someone said slowdown in the Lagavulin fight is fixed now.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Still no leaderboards with the new Switch patch. I wonder if they added any of the card balance changes from the last PC patch.

EDIT: It looks like the double campfire bug might be gone now. I haven't seen it on any runs post-patch.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Here are the Switch 1.02 patch notes, courtesy of the subreddit:

Fixed Lock-On bug

• Fixed crash when starting a new run after the player had played the game for many runs

• Fixed double rest site issue

• Fixed Ascension text not being placed properly

• Fixed gameplay pause for Lagavulin and Hexaghost

• Fixed issue where some data would be copied to new save slot

• Fixed issue where the first save slot would load incorrectly in some cases

• Fixed preferences not saving when changed during a run

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Still no leaderboards with the new Switch patch. I wonder if they added any of the card balance changes from the last PC patch.

EDIT: It looks like the double campfire bug might be gone now. I haven't seen it on any runs post-patch.
I've seen lots of double campfires on the PC version, in the last time I even played it. I wonder if they just patched in double campfires in the most recent PC update.

Or did the devs specifally state, that was a bug?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Made it to Act 4 Ascension 1 on my first attempt with Silent. Even barely reached the final boss with 2 HP. The run obviously ended there.
My deck felt pretty weak until the second half of act 2. It started coming together there.
Double shiv + that card that deals 10/14 damage after you play 5 cards + some poison synergies carried me pretty far.

Not sure there's much to come back to now, though. I probably won't be able to beat act 4 unless I get incredibly lucky.
I used to think that but I killed the heart several times since then and went a bit far in ascension.
Try to only pick cards you'll need very soon and/or to cover something you need :
- Do you have one do deal with groups
- Do you have something for attack burst
- Do you need card drawing to quickly get to key attack/block/defense/power cards, just have decent choice every turn or even to use all your energy.
- do any of the new card synergies with you relics
- If I pick this one will it really help or is what I have enough until another really key card

And there are some cards to remove as well as trying to get a good amount of relics to be sure to get a few synergies.
I feel that runs can be a bit random on all 3, you can have the best run but then get an elite that kicks your ass due to your specific deck not having a good synergy with the encounter. I've had runs with great decks where i feel really OP and then just suddenly hit a wall.
That's why you have to be prepared for everything or avoid what you know you won't be able to beat.
After a while you begin to know which Elites appear on which floor so you can be more cautious.
You can reliably get to Act 4 most of the time if you're methodic.
Can any1 point me in the right direction for some tipps for the ironclad ?
Played some games with him ( at least 20+) and never get passed act2
With the silent i get in the first run to act 3 and now i am afraid to lose the progress :)
Nevertheless, my deck is even not optimal . Just a lot of card draw and poison.
Thanks already !

Cheers
I'd say Ironclad's problem is his initial deck.
Bash is not a very good card. If you can, ditch it for other vulnerable cards like Thunderclap, uppercut or shockwave.

EDIT : Doing a run right now to add some specifics soon :
So i finished the run but forgot one of the keys to go to the heart but I probably could have at least beaten the Elite in act 4.
I didn't have a specific deck but a mix of strength and block.
I took too many attacks overall especially since Immolate carried the attack in most battles.

A block deck is not easy to do at first as you can't build it in the first effectively. You need good attack cards (1 to 3 depending on effectiveness and type) before the first Elite battle. A bonfire also helps. I'd recommend Pommel Strike, Bludegon (especially with 4 energy and ways to make the enemy vulnerable or double tap), I'm not a good perfected Strike user but it can be strong, especially upgraded. Thunder Clap or Upgraded Bash depending on your deck can help.

If you're getting some strength multi hit attacks are very strong obviously so if your early attack choices were multi hit you can try to hunt some strength but don't especially force one synergy to early if you're missing some key elements. It might never come which would make your deck not even half a deck.

Getting an upgraded True Grit at some point can be very effective to deal with status and curse.

Ironclad is also energy hungry so if you can't get a good energy relic you have to be smart. Good boss relics I'd say :
- Astrolabe (if no energy relic available)
- Busted Crown (end of act 2 with a deck already good)
- Coffee Dripper (not the best energy choice but if you can easily recover hp or never take any damage go for it)
- Cursed Key (with good card draw and just but selling/removing the curse you negate it so, very good)
- Ectoplasm (gold is useful, but isn't doing anything in battle and you can gather some ok money before getting it, one of the best relics)
- Mark of Pain (better with a deck you can control well, with lots of drawing, like pommel Strike and Exhaust)
- Fusion Hammer (when your key cards are already upgraded)
- Sozu (you can live without potions and even already have a full pack)
- Velvet Choker (If you can't play so many cards every turn or can do fine with just 6)
- Snecko Eye (with a good amount of 2+ cost cards it's extremely good)
- Runic Cube and Pyramid are both good, especially pyramid but mostly if you can get rid of cards easily (True Grit, Second Wind...)

If you want to try the run to see if you can go far : 2UV5RMJ3BGS0Q.

Last edited:

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Here are the Switch 1.02 patch notes, courtesy of the subreddit:

Fixed Lock-On bug

• Fixed crash when starting a new run after the player had played the game for many runs

• Fixed double rest site issue

• Fixed Ascension text not being placed properly

• Fixed gameplay pause for Lagavulin and Hexaghost

• Fixed issue where some data would be copied to new save slot

• Fixed issue where the first save slot would load incorrectly in some cases

• Fixed preferences not saving when changed during a run

On PC version they buffed Berserk from 3->2 vuln to 2->1 vuln and I really wish they would update that on switch because it actually makes the card playable.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
On PC version they buffed Berserk from 3->2 vuln to 2->1 vuln and I really wish they would update that on switch because it actually makes the card playable.
Wow it was already good for me before but if they reduce the vulnerability it'll be so strong.
I was always using it at the right moment or with artifact potions and it was quite amazing.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've seen lots of double campfires on the PC version, in the last time I even played it. I wonder if they just patched in double campfires in the most recent PC update.

Or did the devs specifally state, that was a bug?

Devs said it was a bug.

I've never had a double campfire (that is, two campfires in a row on the same path, right before the boss) on the PC version. On the Switch I would see one about every other match.

Though, I didn't start playing the PC version until right after the full release.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
NEW CHARACTER INCOMING!

Character Four: Beta Date

Aug 15 @ 12:17pm - Dinosaurs

Hey everyone,

We've got a few things to share!

Character Four Steam Beta
Testing and balancing for the 4th character will be available on the Steam Beta branch on September 9, 2019.
As much as we would love to test it out on all the platforms, the logistics and patching process is only possible through Steam.

Once testing and polishing is complete, this free DLC will be available on Steam and all the other platforms!

Now Available on Xbox One
Speaking of platforms, we're now available on Xbox One through either the Xbox Game Pass or the Microsoft Store![www.microsoft.com]

LibGDX 1.9.9 Version
We're pushing out a special build of Slay the Spire with a game engine update.
This build upgrades our game from LibGDX 1.9.2 -> LibGDX 1.9.9. This update gives multi-monitor support, DPI scaling fixes, improved performance, updated controller support, and allows screenshake to perform correctly in 16:10 aspect ratios.

Due to a few backwards compatibility issues we're pushing this build out in a separate branch titled LibGDX199 and this build will be updated alongside the beta branch until we confirm it's safe to merge into the beta branch. This can be found in the game's BETA tab in the same way you would access the beta branch.

Note: Save files for the beta branch are shared with the saves in the LibGDX199 branch.

The news page also includes these icons, presumably the achievements for the new character:

dffc9233f29b9f9ee3566aa72e5449a8c468a9f3.png

FYI: if you want to access the beta branch for Slay The Spire on Steam, right click the title in your Library, go to the Beta tab, then simply select "beta- Beta branch for testing new content" from the dropdown menu. In addition to being able to test out the new character, you also get patches earlier than the normal build (devs have been releasing weekly patches, IIRC). It's pretty much indistinguishable from playing the normal build, I've always been on the beta branch.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Completed my first run with the first character without dying. The game has that just-one-more-point-on-the-map addictiveness to it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got the "Ooh, donut!" Cheevo on an ascension 4 run on the Switch. It was absolutely luck, planning it would take a super genius.

Beat the run as well, barely.

OP
OP
TeamLeftMatch

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
4 days late to the announcement but Slay the Spire is now available on the Xbox one, it is available on gamepass as well for both PC and console. I'll update the OT when I can and maybe get a mod to update the title as well. Happy slaying everyone

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
This is a game I never would've tried if it wasn't for Game Pass. Played about 4 hours over the weekend and really enjoying it. Got up to the Act 3 boss, in my latest run.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Hello folks. I've been eyeing this game for a while and now I'm looking to pick it up since Fire Emblem is nearing its conclusion. How is the Switch version right now? I know it was rough at launch, and I can see some patch notes posted above, but what's your experience been with it since those patches hit? Smooth sailing or should I keep waiting?

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Hello folks. I've been eyeing this game for a while and now I'm looking to pick it up since Fire Emblem is nearing its conclusion. How is the Switch version right now? I know it was rough at launch, and I can see some patch notes posted above, but what's your experience been with it since those patches hit? Smooth sailing or should I keep waiting?
The water's just fine - dive right in! I've played many, many hours since the last patch and haven't seen any major issues.