• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone tried the new class yet?

I briefly tried her out for about 10 minutes. All the stance changes are pretty interesting. I just need to play more and unlock all the cards. Can't wait to figure out the new strats!

Edit- here's the new character, The Watcher. She's a martial artist monk with stance changes!

36f45ef431e5fcd80e4e48b221bd9fb14b4e4095.jpg

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wow. Can't wait to get it on the Switch.
Are there other cards changes ?
I know it might not be kept as it is but I'm looking forward to new ways to play.

On another topic, base game without ascension is really easy once you know how to play a bit better.

EEF-YbYU0AA6aDx

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Watched a bit of gameplay of the new character and good grief, the lack of individual card art makes the game so much harder. And I though turning on beta art was the real challenge.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
21 minutes and that deck ... is pretty amazing.
Thanks.
I wasn't trying to speed run by any mean lol.
I saw it while uploading the picture and wonder why I tried so hard before to get the achievement for a fast run ha ha.

Searing Blow on first battle sure helped. I though, eh, what the heck, why not. And of course Snecko Eye, for Bash and Searing Blow.
So I guess a good bit of luck. I was also able to remove so many cards I actually had only 4 at some point during act 3 got a last minute shrug it off +. This deck killed enemies to fast for them to do much and 3 cards being block helps with consistency. I could block only if Bash/Searing were too high cost or searing/block and so on depending on what was low cost.
A cost 0 shrug it off was especially cool to sometimes redraw a cost 0 searing or bash.

Too bad I couldn't do the "boss in one turn: at the same time. It was close but not enough.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just had a great run with The Watcher. I cleared A1 (still climbing the ladder), and wrecked pretty much anything. Retain and the power that reduces the cost of Retain cards by 1(2 when upgraded!) felt really good. When I entered the fight against The Awakened One in Act 3, a duplication potion + the new relic that doubles the effects of potions allowed me to play Deva Form+ twice, and I ended up gaining 24 plated armor. From then on, it was all a matter of holding onto retain cards, letting them scale up in power (Windmill Strike) while also reducing their cost. I had Letter Opener and would do damage just by playing blocks every turn while waiting to enter Divinity and unleash a round of burst damage.

Here's my deck and the seed if anyone was interested:

MSHq2B9.png

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thanks.
I wasn't trying to speed run by any mean lol.
I saw it while uploading the picture and wonder why I tried so hard before to get the achievement for a fast run ha ha.

Searing Blow on first battle sure helped. I though, eh, what the heck, why not. And of course Snecko Eye, for Bash and Searing Blow.
So I guess a good bit of luck. I was also able to remove so many cards I actually had only 4 at some point during act 3 got a last minute shrug it off +. This deck killed enemies to fast for them to do much and 3 cards being block helps with consistency. I could block only if Bash/Searing were too high cost or searing/block and so on depending on what was low cost.
A cost 0 shrug it off was especially cool to sometimes redraw a cost 0 searing or bash.

Too bad I couldn't do the "boss in one turn: at the same time. It was close but not enough.

So I had a chance to pick Snecko Eye after the act I boss and I built a deck around it. I narrowed my deck down to high-cost cards (Bludgeon, Flame Barrier, Clothesline, Uppercut and Bash), and yeah, I ran through the last two acts. I had a Whirlwind from early act I that was useful to the end thanks to having turns where my other casts were 0 cost cards.

Up until now I've skipped that relic every time, but if you design around it, it's extremely powerful.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The Watcher is interesting as hell, super fun and I haven't even wrapped my head around playing her right yet.

So I had a chance to pick Snecko Eye after the act I boss and I built a deck around it. I narrowed my deck down to high-cost cards (Bludgeon, Flame Barrier, Clothesline, Uppercut and Bash), and yeah, I ran through the last two acts. I had a Whirlwind from early act I that was useful to the end thanks to having turns where my other casts were 0 cost cards.

Up until now I've skipped that relic every time, but if you design around it, it's extremely powerful.
Once one realizes the power of Snecko, you can't go back.

All praise Snecko.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

Actually, even without having high cost cards only, a good draw deck and/or with mummified hand (playing a power card reduce to 0 the cost of a random card in your hand) or Dead Branch (exhaust card replace themselves with a new random card) for example could be quite safe/powerful too.

That's why you can still consider it with the Silent when you're not full of backstab I guess.
But on higher difficulty I'm not sure you can just go for a shiv/backstab deck and call it a day.

I was also not considering it before but I learned that a lot of higher cost cards, despite being harder to play obviously actually helped much more than I thought like Glacier, Backflip, Flame Barrier as you mentioned.
And be able to draw hands bigger than 5 cards in most turns is also quite vital to access the right/best cards always when you need.

Thus... making sneko eye a bit better, thanks to high difficulty forcing me to chose cards more seriously.

Obviously if you have ONLY 0, 1 cost cards and 0 relic or cards even close to help your draw or energy then it might not be optimal at all. But if in front you get the bell, the hovering kite and you're not prepared at all for any of these, it might be a last resort to still take Sneko and build around it directly after.

Snecko is one of my wanted boss relic.
Holy crap. Time to take ALL of the Power Through.

Once one realizes the power of Snecko, you can't go back.

All praise Snecko.
Lol first time we'd be so happy to get a hand of 10 wounds (after a bad evolve draw or something).

Snecko best boss relic B).

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
me: hey I haven't played Slay the Spire, how about I quickly play one act

later on my Switch crashes, I look at the time and oh it's 5am

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So now I just always take a couple high cost cards out of the gate for Ironclad.

If I don't pull Snecko eye on the first boss, then I keep my eye out for Forethought, Enlightenment, Madness or Mayhem at the shop, or Madness from the Winding Halls event. If keep my deck to a reasonable size, I'll still be able to cast them for 1 or 0 when those cards come through, even if I'm still stuck at 3 energy. It hasn't screwed me ... yet.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
How is the Switch version of the game? I've been playing on the Xbox and having a lot of fun, but I want to play it on the go

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How is the Switch version of the game? I've been playing on the Xbox and having a lot of fun, but I want to play it on the go

Same game, but it's a card balancing patch or two behind.

There are some minor issues:
  • The text is a little small in portable mode.
  • It still doesn't have online leaderboards.
  • There is some slowdown when the cards get shuffled from discard into your deck.
  • There are rare crashes but you don't lose progress, you just start the game up and continue.

It does support touchscreen play, but ...
The stick button control scheme is totally adequate to play the game.

Personally, I love the Switch version. I split my play time about equally between the Steam version and the Switch version now.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Had like 8 curses, 4 Burns, and constantly generating a few Wounds and Dazes, with the beta Fire Breating+ which does 10 damage every time one gets drawn.

Just stack card draw and it's a blood bath.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017

• There is some slowdown when the cards get shuffled from discard into your deck.
  • There are rare crashes but you don't lose progress, you just start the game up and continue.

Personally, I love the Switch version. I split my play time about equally between the Steam version and the Switch version now.
Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound like a hindrance at all. I think playing on the going is ideal for this type of game (for me anyway).

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea there was a new class added. She's... weird. I need to unlock more cards but I'm not really in love with the gimmick atm.

Follow Up chains are fun as shit, though.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
70781744_613685815827767_426039289516654592_n.jpg
70776127_2104093079885317_8412832706471133184_n.png

am i crazy or are these very similar?

100% intentional. I don't recall the source (and don't care to look), but the dev themselves said that they thought Hakumen was cool so they replicated it (or something to that effect). Pretty sure it was on a steam forum post, though I only looked it up when the game first got really popular in beta like 2 years ago cause I saw the Chad and had the exact same thought.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't sound like a hindrance at all. I think playing on the going is ideal for this type of game (for me anyway).
Someone on Discord told me the updates were late on "consoles" so I assume every console versions are the same right now.

I personaly only get crashes when I abuse the save and retry after I played like an ass during a battle and feel like a coward.

The rest works perfectly. Even the text size to me. I have very mediocre eyes and I never felt it was too small. So it's probably not FE3H bad or something lol.
Are leaderboards only removed on Switch ?

Can't wait to get the next update if at least to remove some of the meh boss relics and get a good fire breath.

I mean, when you get the rhino, fountain and the bell or bird cage or the hovering kite (which often makes the energy useless as you have nothing to play without extreme draw engine). Eeeeeeeh...

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Edit : hooray ! First victory in Ascension 20 with Defect. Didn't tackle the heart yet. I want to be more confident.

EFAoFlpUEAA8yJz

Feels good. Snecko Eye best relic.
I took it with only 2 cost 2 cards and everything else 1. Still amazing cause it has the +2 draw.
Add some more draw and an early enough Glacier makes it so good.
Of course the many Defrag and late Echo Form just gave the final blow.
I was basically just missing loop.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Edit : hooray ! First victory in Ascension 20 with Defect. Didn't tackle the heart yet. I want to be more confident.

EFAoFlpUEAA8yJz

I took it with only 2 cost 2 cards and everything else 1. Still amazing cause it has the +2 draw.

Wow, congrats! I've been trying for months with the Defect but still no luck.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, congrats! I've been trying for months with the Defect but still no luck.
Thanks.
I was having runs so terrible I thought I'd never make it.

I tried to focus on chosing good paths with some ways out depending on how things went. So I'd do 3 Elites if good, less if not.

Took the 1hp enemies despite becoming useless later, because of a path full of question marks up to a bonfire and an Elite. Made killing 3 Elites much easier and keeping HP high during the first half.

But I was also lucky to get Snecko, quick defrag and focus relic. It sure helps tremendously.
It seems really important to ponder risk vs relic and project your deck into future battles. The first act is heavily important for the end. More than I thought.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

EFAoFlpUEAA8yJz

Wow! Really nice job. I'm still working my way to 20.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Well this is my new Switch obsession lol...love CCGs and roguelikes so I knew this would be up my alley, just hadn't had a chance to get to it before tonight and now I'm hooked...

Hell I'm having a blast with just the base game...haven't even started building/curating decks yet, can see this getting even more fun once I do that and start messing with other metas.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That's the change which is coming in the next patch - I was referring to the balance changes the PC got four months ago. It included lowering the penalty for beserk amongst other things:

Berserk card buffed. Self Vulnerable 3 -> 2.
Blood Potion buffed to heal 10% -> 25%.
Bottled Flame no longer appears if all of your Attacks are starter cards.
Bottled Lightning no longer appears if all of your Skills are starter cards.
Heel Hook+ card buffed. 7 -> 8 damage.
Bullseye card buffed. Lock-On 1 -> 2.
Bullseye+ card buffed. Damage 10 -> 11.
Colosseum event now appears only at the top half of Act 2.
You no longer run into The Cleric or Beggar events if you do not have enough gold.

Really frustrating that the switch version *still* hasn't had these updates. I love the game but the console support is shit.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I need to get back in this game and knock some ascencion levels before the new character comes around. "Only" completed act 3 with all 3 characters, I guess act 4 should be an objective to aim for too.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Snecko Eye is probably the best thing in the game but I don't like taking it because I have less fun with it than other relics. I'm weird.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm so bad at Ironclad compared to the other two classes. It takes me like 5+ attempts per ascension level vs. 1-2 for the other two. Trying to watch high level runs to figure it out but still not really clicking.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
A huge turning point for Ironclad with me was going from 'Corruption is too risky' to 'holy shit Corruption is amazing'.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so bad at Ironclad compared to the other two classes. It takes me like 5+ attempts per ascension level vs. 1-2 for the other two. Trying to watch high level runs to figure it out but still not really clicking.

Have you watched Jorbs' overexplained runs? They helped me get Ironclad into high ascensions.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah I'm aware Corruption is busted but sometimes I'm just not getting it soon enough (haven't seen it in my last three runs). I'm bad at balancing aggression vs defense while relying Burning Blood. My builds just aren't coming together by the second act. Also I really love to push it with challenging elites heh

Have you watched Jorbs' overexplained runs? They helped me get Ironclad into high ascensions.

I'll watch, thank you.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man last night's (I think it changed over) Daily Run with the Orb guy and starring with all Gold Cards was super fun!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I feel like being really successful with Ironclad is all about Corruption builds.
Nah. Went to Ascension 20 with Ironclad and didnt have Corruption all the time.

Actually, look at my 3 last Ascension decks, to go from 17 to 20 :

EFs5UG1UUAI5Fk6
EFs5UG4VAAE3TxL

EFs5UGvUUAE5aa1

I checked previous runs and I had maybe 3 or 4 with corruption in a row, followed by another 3 or 4 without.
So yeah, it's a strong card, but not needed or amazing all the time.

YESSSS!

I hope my old runs count. I've got decent Act IV scores on all three characters.

EDIT: My old scores, streaks, and fastest runs don't count. Looks like it's time for some more Act IV.
Lucky me I began daily runs more or less right after the update got released.
I'm usually in top 15. Best time was yesterday being 2nd. But I don't know if many people participate and if it's Switch only or shared.

I prefer not to check for normal runs as I feel like I'm still pretty bad at Ascension 20.

It also had been a while since I killed the heart so I'm scared lol.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Did a couple of Act IV runs to get on the new Switch leaderboards.

The leaderboards are ... underpopulated, at the moment. My Defect score of 1433 was rank 145, and I assume that's worldwide.

EFuFqDlU8AAfML-