• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, I poorely edited my last message, worse than what it was not well letting me do (not possible to have embed 2nd picture.
I finally won the A20 heart with a character.
Broke my losing streak the very next game.

EGmlgZIUEAEohrT

The only really exceptional thing that happened was that I got to kill two 1hp elites in act I thanks to a very lucky map arrangement.

Oh, and I got to get rid of all but one of my strikes and defends.
Wait... did you skip boss relics beside cursed key ?
O.O
What is that sorcery of a deck ?

Very very nice win considering what you have here.
It doesn't feel strong/easy to win at first sight.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, I poorely edited my last message, worse than what it was not well letting me do (not possible to have embed 2nd picture.
I finally won the A20 heart with a character.

Congratulations!

Wait... did you skip boss relics beside cursed key ?
O.O
What is that sorcery of a deck ?

Very very nice win considering what you have here.
It doesn't feel strong/easy to win at first sight.

I took Frozen Core for my first relic.

It was actually a pretty easy win. I consider most of those cards to be good picks and all the strikes and defends got weeded out.

I'm still torn on "Go for the Eyes". Weak is a really powerful debuff, but if you happen to draw GftE on a turn when the boss isn't attacking you're just F'd.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Congratulations!

I took Frozen Core for my first relic.

It was actually a pretty easy win. I consider most of those cards to be good picks and all the strikes and defends got weeded out.

I'm still torn on "Go for the Eyes". Weak is a really powerful debuff, but if you happen to draw GftE on a turn when the boss isn't attacking you're just F'd.
Pyramid, all for one, hologram, rebound, seek, equilibrium...

I had an amazing, aaamazing run yesterday on A20 with defect where I took a claw and beam cell, then got all 3 kunai 3 attackes relics, picked 2 more claw, go for the eyes and had also an upgraded base card costing 0. Got pyramid on second boss. It was glorious. I no damaged Time Eater, had a harder time with Awakened (cause lots of powers) but... forgot the campfire key to the heart. I was sad : (.

And go for the eye worked most of the time. Act 3 boss attack all the time except maybr Time Eater a bit. And there are a few ways to control the card ^^. Just don't pick it up early except maybe for gremlin nob. But hope it doesnt show on your starting hand. Actually not in the second either except if upgraded...

Not a card to pick all the time that's for sure, but often useful.

Last edited:

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Is thete a way to continue a won run in normal mode (getting the seed or something like that)? Got a great deck right now and would love to use it a bit longer.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is thete a way to continue a won run in normal mode (getting the seed or something like that)? Got a great deck right now and would love to use it a bit longer.

If you completed the run, either by beating Act 3 (with/without Act 4) or losing, the run is over. You can always use the seed from that run to do it again, but you'd start from Floor 1 of Act 1 with your base deck. You can't take your deck to new runs, since this is a rogue-lite run based game. But you can always play Endless Mode, since you just loop back to Act 1 after completing Act 3.

Nov 21, 2017
I am usually not a fan of deck-building games, but I got this for the Switch and I haven't been this hooked on a game in ages. Its absolutely amazing. The best roguelite there is as far as I am concerned.

I bought it yesterday and have already put in 10 hours, which is crazy for me.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
If you completed the run, either by beating Act 3 (with/without Act 4) or losing, the run is over. You can always use the seed from that run to do it again, but you'd start from Floor 1 of Act 1 with your base deck. You can't take your deck to new runs, since this is a rogue-lite run based game. But you can always play Endless Mode, since you just loop back to Act 1 after completing Act 3.
Ah, to bad. With the relics and cards I can perfectly blockkill everything and I would like to have a challenge with that deck. Whatever, it's easy to build. Thank you.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Ah, to bad. With the relics and cards I can perfectly blockkill everything and I would like to have a challenge with that deck. Whatever, it's easy to build. Thank you.
Wouldn't make sense since the purpose of the game is to adapt to what you find, do the right choices knowing what's coming.

But I guess more options wouldn't hurt.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't make sense since the purpose of the game is to adapt to what you find, do the right choices knowing what's coming.

But I guess more options wouldn't hurt.

A deck plus relic set that beat A20 could definitely beat A0, but would it be possible the other way around, assuming you get the same act bosses? I feel like you can forgo defense and be more reckless with offense in A0, but you need to build while keeping survival in mind for A20. I guess if it was a Barricade/Block and Poison/Frost Orb with Inserter deck, it'd work.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
A deck plus relic set that beat A20 could definitely beat A0, but would it be possible the other way around, assuming you get the same act bosses? I feel like you can forgo defense and be more reckless with offense in A0, but you need to build while keeping survival in mind for A20. I guess if it was a Barricade/Block and Poison/Frost Orb with Inserter deck, it'd work.
Of course, but I meant you never get 100% the same.

Barricade is much more complicated to use in A20. You take so much damage and enemies scale faster. It hardly can be the main card of the deck.
Block and poison is the safest of the 3 as the time to set up gets very good block from Silent.
Frost orb can't do much without a very good setup beside.

So the point would be to have the exact same run but with higher ascension ? Could be a good mode to unlock maybe...

I still feel it's not really useful. You can easily know if you were blocking for enough/too much and killing quickly also. And with that as a base you know how stronger enemies can be facing your deck.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

It's a run based game, so all you can do is file it away in your run history and think of it fondly. :)

You can always re-run the game with the same seed if you'd like to experience it again.

Feel free to post a screenshot of that run's run history here, the posters in this thread always find that interesting. We'll see your deck comp and have a general idea how it went.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Second time I kill the 2 Act 3 boss with Defect... and forget the red key from campfire.

Aaaaaaah !

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Turns out the runs where I die the earliest are the ones without enough block.

It's also really important to gather any ways to make sure you get as little as possible of bad turns (low amount of cards, no good ones, curses, status...).

Not easy at all ha ha.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's the Switch implementation? I fancy having this mobile but twenty five quid feels a bit steep (especially to double dip)

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
How's the Switch implementation? I fancy having this mobile but twenty five quid feels a bit steep (especially to double dip)
  • Playing with a controller works quite well once you get used to it.
  • It performs better than at launch, although occasionally hitches during certain animations including player death. I haven't had it crash since early patches hit.
  • It's behind the PC version in terms of balance patches.
  • Playing on a lunch break or in bed feels great.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Really good. Performance isn't great compared to the PC version, but it's completely adequate for a turn-based game.

The interface is fine. The controls are intuitive, and there's a a full touch-screen implementation.

I own Switch and PC versions of StS and I've put 170 hours into the Switch version. It's perfect for playing in bed or, uh, when on the throne.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've only played on Switch but have been watching streams of recent gameplay and damn I'm keen to play with some of the new relics/potions and card changes.

I'm up to A14 with each class, going from 10-14 was reasonably easy, I know A15 onward is the real gauntlet.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It took me long enough but I finally got my first ascension 10 win, with The Defect.

Did it on the PC version, which, despite not having the convenience of being portable really is the definitive way to play the game.

EJmxY0nXsAcrj2O

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Played this on Game Pass but am I crazy being annoyed by how the cards in your hand are only displayed in upper half and you always have to go through each of them to see the interesting part ? I mean there's a lot of space but no, cards have to be minimized at the bottom of the screen...

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Played this on Game Pass but am I crazy being annoyed by how the cards in your hand are only displayed in upper half and you always have to go through each of them to see the interesting part ? I mean there's a lot of space but no, cards have to be minimized at the bottom of the screen...

This is pretty standard for card games in general, including physical ones, where fanning your hand out also covers up all the text. The more you play the more you'll start recognising cards by art alone and you won't need to read them as much.

Take a look at Hearthstone for another example of the same thing.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
This is pretty standard for card games in general, including physical ones, where fanning your hand out also covers up all the text. The more you play the more you'll start recognising cards by art alone and you won't need to read them as much.

Take a look at Hearthstone for another example of the same thing.
I guess I'll try to push through it. It's just that sometimes, card have effects so it can change some outcomes. Too bad they couldn't do better, they only have 5 cards to display ! :)

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The switch version is literally 6 months out of date right now. It's actually really frustrating because the balance patch that came out months ago that fixed some really annoying problems hasn't been applied yet.

As much as I adore the switch version, I couldn't in good faith recommend it because the developers are treating it like absolute shit and have been doing for a long time.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
does the Switch version of Slay the Spire have touch controls and does it update weekly?
Touch controls work great, it is not up to date with PC.

The switch version is literally 6 months out of date right now. It's actually really frustrating because the balance patch that came out months ago that fixed some really annoying problems hasn't been applied yet.

As much as I adore the switch version, I couldn't in good faith recommend it because the developers are treating it like absolute shit and have been doing for a long time.
Are other platforms getting constant updates? Pretty sure the other consoles are behind too because the dev said they're waiting until the Watcher is done before updating. The PC stuff is beta.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

It's literally TWO guys. They're working on the new character. I can give them a lot of grace for ignoring the port of the Switch version. They at least updated in leader boards, that was nice. But yeah, I'm fine with everything else. I have it on PC too, I still play mainly on Switch because it's more portable.

I recommend this game on a TI Graphing Calculator if someone were to port it there. It's amazing, no matter how you have to play it, everyone should play it. It's my GOTG, and it will be my first ever Indie to win the coveted adam prime ResetERA GOTY award!!!!!11one!

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally TWO guys. They're working on the new character. I can give them a lot of grace for ignoring the port of the Switch version. They at least updated in leader boards, that was nice. But yeah, I'm fine with everything else. I have it on PC too, I still play mainly on Switch because it's more portable.

I recommend this game on a TI Graphing Calculator if someone were to port it there. It's amazing, no matter how you have to play it, everyone should play it. It's my GOTG, and it will be my first ever Indie to win the coveted adam prime ResetERA GOTY award!!!!!11one!

The fact that its two guys doesnt make the version thats six months behind any cheaper. If you're selling it for the same price on multiple platforms you should be trying to keep them roughly up to date with one another.

Oct 25, 2017
I still have not bought this game but I got the origin game pass and this was on it so I am starting fresh again for the third time lol... daily challenge was very fun. 50 random cards. I got the extra relic on elite monster kill and one of the special rules is you can ignore paths the whole game so I killed every elite and had too many relics to keep track of at the end.

I really should buy the game by now... but I seem to keep getting access to it anyway via game passes.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I am absolute shit with the new class. Finally got halfway through act 3, but I still didn't feel great about it. Really feels like she lacks great defensive options, and balls to the wall offense doesn't really work with bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
Did the daily climb today with the draft and... (ironclad) just made a super sick deck with strength building cards and heavy blade plus whirlwind (with +2 charge relic) and I basically killed everything in 1 or 2 turns. Finally boss took 3 turns due to being the boss that becomes untargetable after you kill it the first time (which it died during his turn so I had a turn of doing nothing).

Man, I am absolute shit with the new class. Finally got halfway through act 3, but I still didn't feel great about it. Really feels like she lacks great defensive options, and balls to the wall offense doesn't really work with bosses.

The new class is already out? It is not in my version... off origin.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
But it does look like I can start picking Berserk when I'm playing on Switch. :)
Lock-on getting to 2-3 is also nice on Defecg, for Act 1 at least.
I tried once with the new patch yesterday and finished a A20 Defect. It was a great run.
At the end of Act 2 I had only 1 strike remaining.
And U was able to keep every power during Awakened to not raise its attack, before using all at phase 2.

I think this new update helps a lot with act one and 2. You get colosseum later (so you're stronger), no more bottled basic cards, no mire clercic with no money...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Up to A19 with everybody, home stretch. Defect took a long time, one run had a perfect power + mummified hand deck but Awakened One put an end to that.

New update definitely helps overall although I noticed a few visual bugs introduced. Can't wait for even more stuff. I think once I beat A20 with everyone I'm gonna wait and do it again on PS4 when The Watcher drops.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Slowly working my way up through ascension levels, I've made it to A5 with the 3 characters available on Switch. This game is fantastic. Such a wonderful blend of card-based RPGs and rogue-likes. Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention.

I love how each character plays so differently while still retaining the same fundamental core mechanics. I like dishing out incredible damage as Ironclad, stalling enemies as I slowly build poison tanking hits as Silent, and generating a barrage of orbs with various effects as Defect. This might be my favourite game of the year.

Is there anything else like this out there?