• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ontoue

Oct 27, 2017
so who decided this was about political correctness, or is that just the catch-all term for activism I don't like

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus, how hard is it to get that the same should happen with Jane? No-one has a problem with kids will be kids. Why is it so hard for people to realize that changing one easy word can clarify what you "really mean"? Or do you really mean that only boys are allowed to get hopped up on Oreos and stomp on toys?
What if I only have a son and not a daughter? I cant buy gender specific shit?

Some of the responses on here are some bull shit. Punish everyone because some people say and do stupid shit. You all sound like Trump.

Oct 25, 2017

Some of the responses on here are some bull shit. Punish everyone because some people say and do stupid shit. You all sound like Trump.

What are you going on about? I have two sons and never saw clothes excusing their behavior because they are boys. You want to by buy it so bad, call the company and pitch your reasons why they should start selling it again. I never said it should be law, just agree that it's bad taste and good that they killed it.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017

Who is stoping you? If it means that much to you than go call the company about it and honestly getting rid of a toxic phase is kinda reverse trump but you do you

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What are you going on about? I have two sons and never saw clothes excusing their behavior because they are boys. You want to by buy it so bad, call the company and pitch your reasons why they should start selling it again. I never said it should be law, just agree that it's bad taste and good that they killed it.
I'm going on about all the self righteous bull shit. The generalization about anyone who uses the phrase. Welp, a judge said a kid raped someone, hand waving it to boys will be boys so anyone who's ever used the phrase must be a rapist or bully. Just like every Muslim is a terrorist and Hispanic a rapist, according to Trump. I dont want the fucking shirt. I'm just tired of everyone on this forum being labeled an asshole because they happen to disagree. The slogan isnt meant to excuse shitty behavior, it's meant to be a cute shirt saying the kid is a little rascal. I swear, a shirt could say daddy's little princess or mommy's little prince and there would be an uproar here saying there should be one shirt that says parents little royalty or some stupid shit.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who is stoping you? If it means that much to you than go call the company about it and honestly getting rid of a toxic phase is kinda reverse trump but you do you
Perfect example of my above post. Toxic phase? Give me a fucking break. It's not racist or sexist or offensive in any way. Just because you say it is and can provide a handful of examples where it was used to handwave away shitty behavior doesn't make it true.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That phrase is used to normalize toxic masculinity at the same time as it conditions boys that bad behavior is part of their nature, and therefore excusable. It's basically an informal permit for impunity.

Obviously it's not like a nice boy who wore that shirt would turn into a nasty misogynist, but why add another pebble to the pile of bad influences your kid has to weather?

"Boys will be boys" is a dismissive shrug in the face of attitudes and behaviors that should be corrected, not ignored or encouraged.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Perfect example of my above post. Toxic phase? Give me a fucking break. It's not racist or sexist or offensive in any way. Just because you say it is and can provide a handful of examples where it was used to handwave away shitty behavior doesn't make it true.

Over you offering no examples ok boo you do you. We trump now lol

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (5 days): hostility, offensive comparisons that downplay racism. History of similar behaviour.
Over you offering no examples ok boo you do you. We trump now lol
Go ahead and laugh. I'm not the one making sweeping generalizations over an innocent slogan. And yes, you are acting like trump. I'll again use my every Muslim is a terrorist example. I can provide proof that there are Muslim terrorists. Does that mean they all are? You could literally do that for anything. An active shooter played video games? Ban video gangs. An illegal immigrant killed a person? Ban illegal immigrants. A rapist said boys will be boys? Ban the slogan boys will be boys. Do you see how stupid that is?

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That phrase is used to normalize toxic masculinity at the same time as it conditions boys that bad behavior is part of their nature, and therefore excusable. It's basically an informal permit for impunity.

Obviously it's not like a nice boy who wore that shirt would turn into a nasty misogynist, but why add another pebble to the pile of bad influences your kid has to weather?

"Boys will be boys" is a dismissive shrug in the face of attitudes and behaviors that should be corrected, not ignored or encouraged.
https://peekkids.com/girls-will-be-girls-tee

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Go ahead and laugh. I'm not the one making sweeping generalizations over an innocent slogan. And yes, you are acting like trump. I'll again use my every Muslim is a terrorist example. I can provide proof that there are Muslim terrorists. Does that mean they all are? You could literally do that for anything. An active shooter played video games? Ban video gangs. An illegal immigrant killed a person? Ban illegal immigrants. A rapist said boys will be boys? Ban the slogan boys will be boys. Do you see how stupid that is?

Nope but of course you are missing the context of the entire discussion. As I said you do you boo lol cos frankly you are not worth the time since not of what you mentioned even remotely comes close to the topic at hand.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope but of course you are missing the context of the entire discussion. As I said you do you boo lol cos frankly you are not worth the time since not of what you mentioned even remotely comes close to the topic at hand.
You're right, saying the exact same thing but changing the subject is not remotely close to the topic at hand. It just gets in the way of your soapbox.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's a variation on the phrase supposed to prove? That a cutesy reference to a problematic codification of gender norms is totally cool because, hey, suddenly the genders are flipped?

Nah.
Considering the post I quoted stated the phrase toxic masculinity and conditions boys that bad behavior is excusable, I'd say it proves a lot. The post didn't say the phrase is toxic to kids in general or conditions kids that bad behavior is excusable. A lot of posts in this very thread state that a shirt that said kids will be kids is perfectly acceptable but boys will be boys is sexist. Yet you single out the boys will be boys part.

Here's a news flash. Boys and girls are different. There are genetic differences, different ways they perceive things, different ways they respond to things, etc, etc. So the phrase boys will be boys, girls will be girls, kids will be kids, and any other stupid slogan you want to say (parents will be parents, teachers will be teachers, teenagers will be teachers) they are all fucking true. Again, just because an asshole excuses the behavior using the slogan, it doesn't mean the slogan should be banned. Ban the assholes. Cuz they'll just come up with other stupid shit to say to handwave away bad behavior.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'm going on about all the self righteous bull shit. The generalization about anyone who uses the phrase. Welp, a judge said a kid raped someone, hand waving it to boys will be boys so anyone who's ever used the phrase must be a rapist or bully. Just like every Muslim is a terrorist and Hispanic a rapist, according to Trump. I dont want the fucking shirt. I'm just tired of everyone on this forum being labeled an asshole because they happen to disagree. The slogan isnt meant to excuse shitty behavior, it's meant to be a cute shirt saying the kid is a little rascal. I swear, a shirt could say daddy's little princess or mommy's little prince and there would be an uproar here saying there should be one shirt that says parents little royalty or some stupid shit.

Try arguing in good faith instead of batting at strawmen. No one is saying what you're whining about.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was groped by an asshole went to security and got the boys will be boys bullshit. That phrase can die in a fire.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You're right, saying the exact same thing but changing the subject is not remotely close to the topic at hand. It just gets in the way of your soapbox.

Oh right, claiming an entire religion is composed of terrorists is the same thing as objecting to the use of a phrase.

Don't compare criticism of sexist ideas like boys being excused from bullying, violence, and harassment based on their sex to the oppression of minorities.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh right, claiming an entire religion is composed of terrorists is the same thing as objecting to the use of a phrase.

Don't compare criticism of sexist ideas like boys being excused from bullying, violence, and harassment based on their sex to the oppression of minorities.
So it's okay for you and others to state as fact that the saying boys will be boys excuses all boys from bullying harrassment and violence and therefore should be banned because for reasons anyone associated with the phrase will turn out to be a sexist bully but I cant compare that to anything? Got it.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the post I quoted stated the phrase toxic masculinity and conditions boys that bad behavior is excusable, I'd say it proves a lot. The post didn't say the phrase is toxic to kids in general or conditions kids that bad behavior is excusable. A lot of posts in this very thread state that a shirt that said kids will be kids is perfectly acceptable but boys will be boys is sexist. Yet you single out the boys will be boys part.

Here's a news flash. Boys and girls are different. There are genetic differences, different ways they perceive things, different ways they respond to things, etc, etc. So the phrase boys will be boys, girls will be girls, kids will be kids, and any other stupid slogan you want to say (parents will be parents, teachers will be teachers, teenagers will be teachers) they are all fucking true. Again, just because an asshole excuses the behavior using the slogan, it doesn't mean the slogan should be banned. Ban the assholes. Cuz they'll just come up with other stupid shit to say to handwave away bad behavior.

Once again, no-one said to ban the phrase. Everything that needed to be said had been. You go on thinking I'm a bad person for taking objection to the phrase, and I'll keep thinking it's not cute and it's toxic. And yes, the little princess shit is just as bad.

Last edited:

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Try arguing in good faith instead of batting at strawmen. No one is saying what you're whining about.
I'm not trying to argue for or against muslims being terrorists or active shooters being video game players or any of that bullshit. I'm saying that banning a phrase because some asshole uses it out of context is stupid.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Once again, no-one said to ban the phase. Everything that needed to be said had been. You go on thinking I'm a bad person for taking objection to the phase, and I'll keep thinking it's not cute and it's toxic. And yes, the little princess shit is just as bad.
I dont think you're a bad person. I just dont think you should let the actions of a few dictate what you should find acceptable or not. I dont even own the shirt nor do I care to. In fact, I don't think I've ever said the phrase in my life. But if I did, I'll be damned if I let myself feel bad about it because some judge used it to excuse a rapists behavior. It's not like the phrase is hate speech or anything. Someone earlier in the thread used the term porch monkey and stated some people in the south dont even know its racist because its used so commonly. That shit is ignorant and inexcusable. But saying this is toxic, I'm sorry, that's just incorrect. Same for your stance on the my little princess shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you're a bad person. I just dont think you should let the actions of a few dictate what you should find acceptable or not. I dont even own the shirt nor do I care to. In fact, I don't think I've ever said the phrase in my life. But if I did, I'll be damned if I let myself feel bad about it because some judge used it to excuse a rapists behavior. It's not like the phrase is hate speech or anything. Someone earlier in the thread used the term porch monkey and stated some people in the south dont even know its racist because its used so commonly. That shit is ignorant and inexcusable. But saying this is toxic, I'm sorry, that's just incorrect. Same for your stance on the my little princess shit.

Did you miss all of the posters in this thread who have had that term used on them to excuse terrible/disgusting behavior inflicted upon them? Now apply that to society at large. It's not just one judge.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So it's okay for you and others to state as fact that the saying boys will be boys excuses all boys from bullying harrassment and violence and therefore should be banned because for reasons anyone associated with the phrase will turn out to be a sexist bully but I cant compare that to anything? Got it.

I think criticizing a phrase's predominant usage (that of excusing bad behavior in young males as a natural extension of their gender), a phrase that has been used so frequently to justify adhorrent behavior that it was parodied on the Simpsons in the 90s, is not at all equivalent to categorizing all Muslims as terrorists.

I'm sorry, but you can't pretend to be ignorant of the history of the idiom and what it's been used for.