• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Katherine Ryan basically toyed with him. It was funny. Especially given he's from the mean streets of Northampton

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Garbage sometimes makes its own way to the trash.

Also, dude wins an industry award and seems to sexually assault and harass a woman on stage and people are actually getting bent out of shape when some snide one-liner shitposts are made against him?

đź‘€

Agreed. Arists don't operate a different standards and shouldn't be allowed to do so just when they display talent.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like Ryan tweeted about it....

She's kinda downplaying his behavior imo. Not only to her, which she has the right to say whatever she wants about, but to the audience
Katherine Ryan's statement is... interesting.

She's taking the stance of a powerful woman and comic who wasn't flustered by the sexual harassment. But I don't see anything 'sweet' about his behaviour.

This tweet isn't downplaying his behavior at all, it's downplaying HIM. She doesn't call him 'sweet', she blows him off as meaningless.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Katherine Ryan's statement is... interesting.

She's taking the stance of a powerful woman and comic who wasn't flustered by the sexual harassment. But I don't see anything 'sweet' about his behaviour.
I'm pretty sure that the term sweet boy is being used sarcastically to emasculate him further.

No offense to you in case I've misinterpreted your post but I personally wouldn't use the word 'stance' in there as that implies that her being a powerful woman and comic is an act.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Yeah he has like no presence in the London rap/grime scene. He was banking on being a liberal media darling/crossover act.

Katherine is beloved in the UK. She probably didn't want to make it a big deal and tank this dudes career.

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
Who said it's the only option and why are you simultaneously removing nuance from a situation while also broadly criticizing people for doing so themselves?

Why is a small reaction post to assault and harassment an eternal pledge or desire to see them never succeed anywhere else in their life thereafter to you, instead of people being disgusted at someone acting in a disgusting manner and posting such on an internet message board.

I don't know if snide one-liner shitposts express disgust. Disgust would be reasonable.

(I don't love the internet)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I also think she doesn't want to be defined by this. She's a comedian, she's blowing it off as "he couldn't phase me if he tried", she's certainly not defending him. Her reaction on stage and in that tweet seem pretty obviously condescending towards him, which he certainly earned.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know if snide one-liner shitposts express disgust. Disgust would be reasonable.

(I don't love the internet)
Not sure what's particularly unreasonable about a handful of dismissive posts in response to an artist sexually harassing and assaulting a woman on stage, nor why it warrants whining about people cancelling people.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I know this dude is because of that dumb drug deala meme on Tiktok.

Anyway, a dumb thing to do. Hope he can learn from it

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
So I was actually there and some of the clips are missing a bit of context. That said, regardless of the context - how he acted was completely out of order.

Slowthai opened the show with a great performance with Mura Masa, later he accepted an award and Katherine Ryan made remarks about him being a 'beautiful tan passport' or something to that effect, joking about his skin colour and all of his tattoos. Saying he looked well travelled and acting thirsty for him, which is par for the course for her comedy material if you're familiar with her.

It all started when Katherine Ryan said something that I assume Slowthai didn't like and he heckled her, which she then goaded him and ended up calling him up on stage. It was all some weird awkward confrontation which went on for way too long and he was so drunk he was being pretty lecherous which was making everyone watching wince. Going by the stuff he was saying (in one of the videos in OP) I guess he took her jokey thirst comments seriously. She seemed to play it off as she would any other heckler by basically just rinsing him, and made him look a mug. He went back to his seat after a while and then for a lot of the show she was getting jabs in at him wherever she could - at one point she came out with a fake baby bump saying it was their child that they'd just made backstage, calling him Fastthai.

He was later the recipent of Hero of the Year where he gave a speech dismissing it all as a joke which is when someone in the crowd cut him off by shouting misogynist at him, and the rest is what's in the video in the OP.

It's a real shame he acted such a bellend - his album is absolutely fantastic and he's got a hell of a lot of potential. He was one of if not the most nominated act last night as well. Ryan seems to be dismissing it as just a comic/heckler situation, I guess we'll see what Slowthai responds with.

It's going to be one hell of a hangover for him for sure.

Last edited:

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Predictable "never heard of him"/"one song" etc yawn-inducing drive-bys, as always. But holy shit what a let down, what a fucking asshole. Great album still but no.

at one point she came out with a fake baby bump saying it was their child that they'd just made backstage, calling him Fastthai.

Man Katherine Ryan is such a legend. What did we do to deserve her!

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I was actually there and some of the clips are missing a bit of context. That said, regardless of the context - how he acted was completely out of order.

Slowthai opened the show with a great performance with Mura Masa, later he accepted an award and Katherine Ryan made remarks about him being a 'beautiful tan passport' or something to that effect, joking about his skin colour and all of his tattoos. Saying he looked well travelled and acting thirsty for him, which is par for the course for her comedy material if you're familiar with him.

It all started when Katherine Ryan said something that I assume Slowthai didn't like and he heckled her, which she then goaded him and ended up calling him up on stage. It was all some weird awkward confrontation which went on for way too long and he was so drunk he was being pretty lecherous which was making everyone watching wince. Going by the stuff he was saying (in one of the videos in OP) I guess he took her jokey thirst comments seriously. She seemed to play it off as she would any other heckler by basically just rinsing him, and made him look a mug. He went back to his seat after a while and then for a lot of the show she was getting jabs in at him wherever she could - at one point she came out with a fake baby bump saying it was their child that they'd just made backstage, calling him Fastthai.

He was later the recipent of Hero of the Year where he gave a speech dismissing it all as a joke which is when someone in the crowd cut him off by shouting misogynist at him, and the rest is what's in the video in the OP.

It's a real shame he acted such a bellend - his album is absolutely fantastic and he's got a hell of a lot of potential. He was one of if not the most nominated act last night as well. Ryan seems to be dismissing it as just a comic/heckler situation, I guess we'll see what Slowthai responds with.

It's not like he has been cancelled in the 'traditional' sense unless I missed it. It's been short enough of a time his agent/representative could be working on a public statement and now it's a matter of waiting in him to sober up.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
It's not like he has been cancelled in the 'traditional' sense unless I missed it. It's been short enough of a time his agent/representative could be working on a public statement and now it's a matter of waiting in him to sober up.

Oh yeah I imagine whoever represents him are having kittens right now haha. Skybet are taking bets on how he's going to issue his apology. It's just a big yikes situation all round.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Slowthai opened the show with a great performance with Mura Masa, later he accepted an award and Katherine Ryan made remarks about him being a 'beautiful tan passport' or something to that effect, joking about his skin colour and all of his tattoos. Saying he looked well travelled and acting thirsty for him, which is par for the course for her comedy material if you're familiar with him.

ah, so it looks like he just got outplayed at being the smartarse, her comments make much more sense now.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
could someone please describe what's actually going on in the videos in the op? i'm having trouble parsing what's being said and what sets the guy off?

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is trash and deserves to have his career tank with a public performance like that.

But people will defend assholes like this, look at Kanye.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
could someone please describe what's actually going on in the videos in the op? i'm having trouble parsing what's being said and what sets the guy off?

Hiraeth explains it better, go back a bit.

She cracked a few jokes at his expense, he tried to heckle and couldn't keep up with her without crossing the line.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
He got triggered, let's be honest he is probably not the smartest cookie in the packet, and getting put down by someone faster and quick witted it becomes a trigger point, then add in alcohol and drugs, boom career gone

expect a full apology and a donation of money somewhere

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
He's still a dick.. but the story completely changes out of context

twitter.com

Lola Coker on Twitter

“@NME what’s going on? 🤨 @slowthai @the1975 #NMEAwards2020 https://t.co/HodByVRJu7”

fleet

Jan 2, 2019

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Saw him trending on Twitter this morning and thought maybe there was new music..then i saw the videos. Fuck me. Shame, big fan, i saw him live a few years ago and he was great. He generally comes across as quite a sweet soul too in interviews etc.

No excusing that though, what the fuck was he thinking? Really let himself down. Katherine handled it very well.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
He's put out an apology:

twitter.com

NOBODY on Twitter

“.@nme please forward my award to @kathbum for she is the hero of the year. what started as a joke between us escalated to a point of shameful actions on my part. i want to unreservedly apologise, there is no excuse and I am sorry. i am not a hero. (1/2)”

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, reading the context given by Hiraeth and viewing the footage I can see how him being drunk and attempting to joke around could come across as actually being leery.

Just don't fucking drink if you can't control yourself and know when to stop.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Decent apology, I think.
Agree, seems embarrassed and understanding of the problem and behaviour. Apologises to others for whom the event might have prompted bad memories as well. Hopefully learns where his line is around alcohol moving forward because yeh, not your standard drunken mistake.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
The thing is, it's really, very easy to act in an appropriate manner.

That's totally unacceptable.

Especially when you're being recognised for your talents and for using your platform to speak truth about power.

What a waste.