• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good feature, but having it always enabled for everyone but player 1 by default is a bad thing. There should be an option for what the default is set on. It's bizarre to me that only the auto steer is enabled by default, but the auto accelerate isn't. My family has played before and forgot to turn auto steer off, and definitely noticed a negative difference. Fortunately you can turn it off in the pause menu, but it is an annoyance. Having a simple option right there on the character select is great, but you should be able to choose whether it defaults to on or off.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get the stick out your ass fellas. It's great for younger players, I haven't argued it isn't, but if you're a grown ass man playing Mario Kart on my Switch I'm probably not going to let that slide.

A grown ass man wouldn't force this upon others the way you were describing (docking off the console to force it off).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm fine with it being on by default, but hate how convoluted it is to actually disable it, they should give you a prompt or make it easier to notice.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had the game for months and I didn't know how to turn it off. I stopped playing the game because of this, it was annoying.

lol killed the game on the Switch for me when I bought it on release. Had it for the Wii U too! It's a great feature for newbies at first, but even annoys them quickly in my experience.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
A grown ass man wouldn't force this upon others the way you were describing (docking off the console to force it off).

Let me explain just how tedious it is to explain to everyone in 4 player match that wants to play seriously but has no idea about these training wheels on by default:

"Hey guys, just push +/- to see your stats! Once you see your stats, you know how old Mario Karts had Manual or Automatic? Instead of that, here you actually need to disable these automated settings by pushing left bumper, Y button, and right bumper. Everyone got it? No, Player 3 it's left bumper.. no you still have it enabled... okay got it!"

And nobody I've ever played with has wanted those settings on, so why wouldn't I disable them going into a new match with new people? It's not how the games were played prior to this entry, why would I switch it up?

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
You will never convince me that a game tricking everyone into playing on easy unless you google why the game is playing like shit is a good idea

A prompt at the start would be enough for everyone to get the best experience for them
I understand your frustration, but I'll also never be convinced that the inconvenience of experienced gamers like yourself having to Google something outweighs the accessibility gains for millions of MK8D players.

The game could have an intro screen similar to Mario Odyssey, but that doesn't make the feature horrible just bc there's a way to improve it's implementation.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Hated it because it's on by default

Should be buried in the options menu not forced on everyone till they figure out why the game plays like shit

I can get the annoyance, but for the people who this is intended for, they wont know how to put it on.

I literally just finished playing with my roomates who dont play games, and that feature is a god send and lets them have fun playing against each other

If it wasnt a feature, theyd be flying off the edges and hating the game

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I understand your frustration, but I'll also never be convinced that the inconvenience of experienced gamers like yourself having to Google something outweighs the accessibility gains for millions of MK8D players.

The game could have an intro screen similar to Mario Odyssey, but that doesn't make the feature horrible just bc there's a way to improve it's implementation.

If any game requires a player to have to look outside of the game to find out why features are on or how to disable them, it's bad design. It's literally as simple as that. If any game has an easy and a normal mode, but defaults to easy and doesn't even tell the player there is a normal mode, and doesn't even indicate the game can be switched to normal, then it's shit tier design. I don't even understand how this can be debated

Again, the feature itself, isn't an issue, and I agree the feature is actually great. My issue is the implementation. It would even be improved if they put it on by default and then after your first race explained what it is and then just showed you how to turn it off if you wanted

I can get the annoyance, but for the people who this is intended for, they wont know how to put it on.

I literally just finished playing with my roomates who dont play games, and that feature is a god send and lets them have fun playing against each other

If it wasnt a feature, theyd be flying off the edges and hating the game

I don't deny it's a great feature, my issue is the implementation is awful. If you need the feature, it's great, if you're anyone else, and you don't know the feature is there or on by default, you get a confusing and frustrating experience

This is a problem that is solved by a prompt at the start saying 'do you want to select smart steering or normal steeling' with a brief definition on what they are, and who they're intended for

I don't buy that we need to trick children into not ruining the game for themselves at the expensive of everyone else

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
No. Having to explain to my non gamer friends how to turn them off every single time we play is the worst. I suppose it's fine that it's on by default when turning the game on for the first time, but you should then be able to decide you don't ever want them to be on.

Yeah. I had a tournment in my school and it was horrible having to fiddle with it everytime someone different held the controllers. I think this feature is absolutely brilliant and it really made the game substancially more accessible to casual gamers, but there should be an option like EASY/NORMAL mode we have on old Capcom fighting games when you select the character.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
They should just make a prompt for normal and easy modes after you pick a vehicle with normal being the default. If you can't even press right and A to pick easy mode then I don't think you can play video games at all.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should just make a prompt for normal and easy modes after you pick a vehicle with normal being the default. If you can't even press right and A to pick easy mode then I don't think you can play video games at all.

If they really wanted to be smart, it should be off by default, and then if you hit the side of the track a lot or stop moving at all or end up going backwards, it should automatically switch itself on

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I think MK8's actual best option is buttonless acceleration, since the control scheme becomes way too much uncomfortable and cumbersome on 150/200cc when you're forced to accelerate, drift and brake at the same time.

But yeah, accessibility options for little kids/casual friends are great and Nintendo is doubtlessly the developer that puts most efforts and thought torwards them.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Easily the best feature they added to deluxe. Should be the default for every racing game going forward.

Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand this gatekeeping bullshit when it comes to these features. MK8D is the first MK me and my Wife can play together and both have fun with. The small inconvenience of having to turn it off for me (one time) is well worth it seeing friends and family being able to jump in and not having to worry too much about being woefully under prepared.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you forcing your "non gamer friends" to turn it off?

They don't want it. They've played plenty of Mario Kart in their lives, and would like to use the traditional controls. But they've never played Mario Kart 8 or even used a Switch, so explaining to them how to change the controls back to how they want them is a pain.

Especially when I have to do it multiple times, every few weeks when they come over.