• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I'm disappointed as the next person about yet another Fire Emblem character but it takes a special kind of entitlement and lack of self awareness to take it out on the VA.

Nov 17, 2017
I read the comments on his timeline and they were mostly overwhelmingly positive? I don't get this thread, in fact I'd say it's quite misleading if the tweets in the op are the worst there is
Yeah, I only read the posts OP shared and they weren't even bad (2 of them are mostly positive and still congratulating the guy) but now I've scrolled through a bit of the Twitter thread and it's almost all just people congratulating him and generally being very happy for him.

For sure. I tend to be a super sensitive person. I won't pretend like this thread wasn't created as the product of an emotional reaction.
Well perhaps it's changed since you made the thread but it seems mostly positive on that post now.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The first one makes sure to separate the actor from the dumb opinion. The second one is pretty benign noise. The third one isn't even negative? This is supposed to be representative of the "terrible" smash community?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The schadenfreude of the Niosi situation is truly the best part of the Byleth Smash reveal. Brags about voicing a likely Smash candidate, gets fired for that and his domestic abuses, then Byleth gets into Smash with the new voice. Just delightfully karmic.
Ah, karma. It's a beautiful thing.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Well perhaps it's changed since you made the thread but it seems mostly positive on that post now.
There are definitely more cumulative comments on his status now than there were when I woke up this morning, and the majority of them are positive.

Even when I woke up, though, most of the comments were positive, it was just the nagging outliers who showed up about every other scroll who blew my mind. You'll notice the title says that angry players try to shit on him. I didn't say "smash community shits on him." I never meant to convey that the thread was GG-level mass trolling. I was just disappointed, needed to vent my disappointment, and wanted to rally some troops to go drown out the assholes.

Y'all don't have to come into the thread if it's not dramatic enough for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.... read through all those replies and barely see this overwhelming shitting on the voice actor responses this thread has brought forth but good for him living out his dream. This thread, imo ,seems petty.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Were there really people upset about Niosi?

The typical outrage merchants (namely OneAngryGamer) roused up some anger, although thankfully it never blew up ala Vic Mignogna. I had the unfortunate experience of a witnessing an article or two on Facebook feed thanks to a Nintendo group I follow (naturally, the relevant posts blamed us for that, ahaha).

In retrospect, it'd should been obvious it was sour grapes from the Smash reveal.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting some legitimately awful in the examples provided in the OP, but these are pretty tame. They're snarky more than completely toxic and hostile.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
A vast majority of the comments were positive and even these are tame. Given how disappointed some were in the choice, i was expecting the standard video game Twitter vitriol.

Nov 17, 2017
There are definitely more cumulative comments on his status now than there were when I woke up this morning, and the majority of them are positive.

Even when I woke up, though, most of the comments were positive, it was just the nagging outliers who showed up about every other scroll who blew my mind. You'll notice the title says that angry players try to shit on him. I didn't say "smash community shits on him." I never meant to convey that the thread was GG-level mass trolling. I was just disappointed, needed to vent my disappointment, and wanted to rally some troops to go drown out the assholes.

So even when you woke up it was mostly positive but you still felt the need to "rally some troops to go drown out the assholes?" That just makes it seem like you cherry-picked anything that wasn't 100% positive and blew it up to be something more than it was. It doesn't look like you had much material to work with either, the posts you chose hardly seem angry or made in an attempt to shit on the VA.

Also you made a dramatic thread title. Of course people are going to come in expecting something bad. It kinds of seems like you just want people to come in this thread to echo how shitty they think Smash fans are since you're not-so-subtly telling me to leave the thread if I disagree with you.. You have to expect people to criticize or disagree with your premise if it's not accurate.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah a few people are being babies about it but when I clicked the Twitter link many people are positive. I don't think the complainers are as wide spread as the op is leading us to believe.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The body of your OP betrays how you feel, technicality of a three letter word aside. And now you have two pages of people driveby posting stuff like "ah fuck the smash community, I knew it was toxic garbage". You have a responsibility as a thread creator and your thread is misleading cherrypicking at best.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People on Twitter can be toxic, more at 11.

I get being disappointed, I was somewhat too, but people really love to attack people over it.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
If anything, everybody should be laughing at the Brawl Taunts guy who got fired before he had the chance to be in Smash.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
The body of your OP betrays how you feel, technicality of a three letter word aside. And now you have two pages of people driveby posting stuff like "ah fuck the smash community, I knew it was toxic garbage". You have a responsibility as a thread creator and your thread is misleading cherrypicking at best.
I made the thread I wanted to make. You can chat about the topic, you can report the thread, or you can leave. I don't think thread-whining is an option. If mods close the thread I won't be salty.

Otherwise, yeah, it's gratifying for me to see other people here who felt the same way I did, and want to chime in with a word of support. It's just a discussion, my dude, and I framed it the way I wanted to frame it. It was based on a raw emotional reaction I had to something that happened in the gaming space. If y'all didn't keep bumping the thread it would descend to the latter pages of the topic list really quickly, I bet.

ON-TOPIC (since I have a break from work, now):
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that this is a symptom of a larger, community-wide issue that we all face. It's comments like these, in places like this (the replies section of someone celebrating a personal and professional achievement) that corroborate the narrative that gamers generally are entitled, solipsistic assholes who can't stand to let anyone enjoy something that they perceive as threatening their own self-interest.

Sometimes there isn't even a clear line that can drawn between the aggrieved party's interests, and a decision made by a publisher or developer. Often the toxic demographic of the gaming community goes out of its way to masquerade as representative of the majority in the comments sections of mundane news articles. The same kinds of people who showed up in this dude's replies are the kinds of people who wait, salivating, for any news outlet to make any mistake so that they can put that mistake on the tallest digital pedestal they can, and insist that all reporting and games journalism is a scam.

I have to wonder if this entitlement is borne from younger people spending years of their free time wholly entertained and occupied by AAA games that give them almost everything that they want as a rule. The GaaS model is set up such that players are always wanting something, then always about to receive it, then almost always receiving it (by chance or by flashing some cash).

I dunno man. For "normal" people like us (most of us), it's not an issue. We don't have an issue employing tact and feeling empathy. For a troubling percentage of the community, though, it is an issue. And when they feel like they're not being gratified the way that they deserve to be, they go to great lengths to make sure that they can bring others down on a personal level.