• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Of course, there's always that little voice inside of me that says, "I want to work on things that aren't Smash Bros.," and I listen to it. But even so, if it's apparent that my games have even a little bit of personality in them and the player is able to appreciate that, then I'm grateful.

Still, it's Nintendo that decides whether a new Smash Bros. game will be made or not. When I get that request, it's my job to make that my top priority without thinking too much about other things. As it stands, I have a ludicrous amount of directing to do – my work is incredibly extensive, and I don't think that'll change any time soon! At the very least, it isn't unreasonable to say that there won't be another Smash Bros. for awhile after this one is finished."

SOURCE (via Siliconera)

From this, I gather that, judging solely by him saying "a new Smash won't happen for a while after Ultimate is done", he might work on some other things between this one and the next Smash. I hope he does, too- I love Smash, a lot, but Sakurai's own pet projects, such as Meteos, Kirby Air Ride, and Kid Icarus Uprising, have been fantastic, and I would like to see more of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would be fools to not offer him his own project like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Kid Icarus was probably nintendo's Most ambitious title to date when it released, would be nice to see him give the franchise another go or something new.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I love Smash but Sakurai needs to be freed from that series. Let the man work on something else ffs.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the name Smash Bros. Ultimate makes it sound like they're making this the definitive version, at least for a few good years. Their plan is likely to have DLC and have it last the Switch's lifespan, and in the meantime Sakurai can work on something else.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, with Ultimate's announcement, I think it's quite clear that it will be the last one for a little while.

I think it's very likely that we get a new Sakurai game that isn't Smash on the Switch, whether it's Kid Icarus 3 or a brand new series.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Given how soon Ultimate is coming after 4, my guess is that Nintendo will let Sakurai do whatever the fuck he wants for a bit and let Ultimate be the defacto Smash game for many years to come. It'll have some great exposure for the FGC scene and it'll be a ever green title for Nintendo.

But I would absolutely adore a Kid Icarus: Uprising sequel. That's a whole new genre Nintendo can really sink its teeth into and that Multiplayer mode should be expanded upon.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Smash but Sakurai needs to be freed from that series. Let the man work on something else ffs.
He's not a Nintendo employee, he returns out of his own volition. He always accepts working on a new Smash game because he personally feels it's a special opportunity for him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with Ultimate's announcement, I think it's quite clear that it will be the last one for a little while.

I think it's very likely that we get a new Sakurai game that isn't Smash on the Switch, whether it's Kid Icarus 3 or a brand new series.
Uprising was Kid Icarus 3 lol

Sakurai generally does not like working on sequels, so I hope it is a brand new game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As much as I want Sakurai to do other stuff once Ultimate is done, wouldn't he still have to be on the staff for DLC? Granted, DLC isn't confirmed right now, but it's a pretty safe bet (especially considering that the roster will likely be dated at launch with when the base roster was finalized).

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Well yeah, nowadays there are plenty of people to take over Smash directing duties, especially how stagnant are the smash games lately. He would be better off making new games for Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony given how he is a third party.

Kid Icarus was probably nintendo's Most ambitious title to date when it released, would be nice to see him give the franchise another go or something new.
I love Kid Ikarus as much as the next guy but lets not get carried here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, nowadays there are plenty of people to take over Smash directing duties, especially how stagnant are the smash games lately. He would be better off making new games for Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony given how he is a third party.
He will probably always stick with Nintendo only.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like he's been talking about only supervising on the next Smash Bros. for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last one with Sakurai directing.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
tbh I don't get why he needs to be so deeply involved as a director. smash bros. doesn't strike as the sort of game that needs the singular vision of the artist. for melee and 64, i get it, it's the foundation.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I will purchase everything Sakurai does, so I'm definitely open for new KI:U-like projects. In fact, I want more of those.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. He needs a break after he finish smash ultimate. I want him to do another Kirby Air Ride. But he is not at HAL anymore. I hope someone else at HAL will bring it up to Nintendo and hopefully they will approve it one day.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want Sakurai to do other stuff once Ultimate is done, wouldn't he still have to be on the staff for DLC? Granted, DLC isn't confirmed right now, but it's a pretty safe bet (especially considering that the roster will likely be dated at launch with when the base roster was finalized).
It would likely have less enough involvement not to strictly deter him from other projects. Even Smash 3DS and Wii U likely had him involved in the planning stages while he was nearing the end of his work on Kid Icarus Uprising.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo would be fools to not offer him his own project like Kid Icarus Uprising.

The fact that it hasn't been ported to a console yet is a crime. If was a super game game with great multiplayer, but actually paying it was physically painful because of how the controls were set up .

Nov 20, 2017
He really needs to be let off the rails with a brand new IP for Nintendo. I think he's earned that creative outlet, and he certainly has the work ethic to make it something special.

Cynically, they need new IP for the next smash anyways

There are other teams that can give us the DLC and a Kid Icarus sequel on Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the few names that has me immediately buying everything he puts out, no questions asked.

Kid Icarus Uprising was one of the top 5 Nintendo games ever made for me. I really can't wait to see what he's onto next.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please make a Kid Icarus Uprising sequel on Switch using controls that aren't absolute garbage and it'll be great.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Victim of his own success. But i appreciate him for it. Thank you sakurai-san (bows)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Does Sakurai need to be there for the DLC?

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'd love to see a new game from Sakurai, and not necessarily another Kid Icarus.

Although a Kid Icarus Uprising remaster would be nice, that game deserves a better control scheme.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
From this, I gather that, judging solely by him saying "a new Smash won't happen for a while after Ultimate is done", he might work on some other things between this one and the next Smash. I hope he does, too- I love Smash, a lot, but Sakurai's own pet projects, such as Meteos, Kirby Air Ride, and Kid Icarus Uprising, have been fantastic, and I would like to see more of them.

I still think he might have enough time to make two different games after Smash Ultimate.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, that quote seems to strongly imply that although the next Smash game is definitely long after Ultimate, Sakurai seems committed to remain at the helm. As of now, at least, anything can change of course.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see his designs for Battlefield, especially the new one, and Final Destination it just makes me want him to make an original game on an HD console, he clearly has a very distinct style that looks super cool to me, what we see of that style in Kid Icarus Uprising is amazing but I feel he was held back by what the 3DS could do, visually at least.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it if he went back to Kid Icarus, or revived a dormant IP like Custom Robo. Of course, one of the last original projects he worked on turned into Smash, so maybe it's worthwhile to let him come up with his own IP.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game director next to shiggy. I'll be satisfied if this is the last smash for a bit. Dude deserves a break and has made a very very excellent fighter series.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai should know Nintendo will ALWAYS request for a new Smash Bros. game lol. He's not doing himself a favor.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
More Kid Icarus, Sakurai, PLEASE. That game's cast was too amazing for it to be a one-off.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
You can feel he is putting all his soul into his works, he definitely need some rest.
Kid Icarus Uprising was amazing so I'm really looking forward to what he'll do next.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
He could say no to Smash? I'm glad he says yes to Smash. The keys will have to be handed over to someone else, eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
And fun fact, Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of the few Nintendo games that had fully-unionized voice acting.
Did W101 also have it?
But, yeah, it shows. VA is really nice for what it's going for
Well, it's definitely Nintendo's most ambitious portable title—not counting games made for both portable and large screen play, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS or basically anything on Switch.
"When it was released".
Before Xenoblade (in NA), before bigger Wii U games, etc