• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
There's not much to go on right now beyond 9 or so fighters obscured by flame, but I can't help but worry about this new iteration.

It's with that trepidation that I ask, "What's your biggest fear about the new Smash?"

I've got a few.

1: With the ongoing support of the 3DS through 2019, and with titles like Captain Toad 3DS releasing day-and-date with their Switch counterparts, I fear that the game will have a 3DS iteration. Why is that a fear? Because it may create a tech limitation bottleneck that stops the game from its more ambitious characters (or hell, series regulars like Ice Climbers) as it did for Smash 4.

2: Tripping returns. This is more just a nightmare, but the random algorithmic trip system from Brawl rears its ugly head in another attempt to court a broader market, emphasizing the "party" and playing down the "e-sport." It could even be other means to casualize the experience. "Items always on," "Stage hazards always on," et cet. Backstepping from those advancements in 4.

3: Roster halved. Like Snake's absence in 4, I'd hate to lose Mega Man, Pac Man, Ryu, and Cloud. It feels like gaming history. It feels consequential. And with no real competition (RIP PSASBR), Smash has a heavy weight on its shoulders to represent a who's who of gaming, and make them slug it out.

4: Characters locked behind Amiibo, those Amiibo disappearing from purchase. Like Twilight Princess Link who summoned Epona and who disappeared from retail and skyrocketed in second-hand pricing post Breath of the Wild, I worry something similar could happen here. Amiibo may hasten the unlocking of fighters considerably, making the game a chore to play with friends who've yet to complete their roster.

What're your Smash Switch fears? What're your thoughts on mine?

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say all those fears are pretty irrational, it's unlikely any of them will happen.

I worry that Nintendo play it too safe with Smash Switch and just make some small adjustments to the previous version, with a couple of new maps and characters thrown in. I want to see exciting new modes!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
My biggest fear is personally that I get sucked up by the hype and friends all playing it, and actually buy another Smash game again which I won't enjoy much and feel like I wasted my money on within a month. At least the Wii one was useful for jailbreaking the system and the 3DS one was so ugly I managed to control myself. With the Switch being capable of so much more and having online, I'm really scared of being sucked in by hype and getting burnt again. :(

Hopefully Monolithsoft isn't working on some story mode, because then I really won't be able to resist. Ugh.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have 3 fears:

- Being a port. It is really time for a new Smash.

- 3rd party characters. For me, they are irrelevant in Smash world. We should have only Nintendo chars.

- Break the Targets. I do not want bomb the targets, I want individual break the targets.

I am not a hardcore Smash player. I think that Smash need some changes. We do not need 50+ fighters. 35 would be nice.

This is just my very personal opinion. You do not need to agree with me, but please, respect my right to have an opinion.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That baseless and reactionary threads like this will be created until we have footage. There's nothing to be afraid of and no need to create false concerns for yourself, why not just enjoy the announcement?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Good news is, I am pretty sure that logically, all of your fears OP, are irrational.

My biggest fear is that it's a port, but I'm 95% confident that it's a brand new title.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Pearl, Marie, Marina, Callie & Octolings inkling alts. And no DJ Octavio in the Splatoon Stage.

(Off the Hook & Squid Sisters alts)

its_Ditz

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sakurai giving in and catering to the competitive Melee-crowd

Oh boy, I´m already dead, am I not?

Habimaru

Oct 29, 2017
That it will probably still act as the Wars saga does not exist save for recycled content from Brawl.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
1) They don't improve the menus.

2) Online isn't improved. 1v1 only being on Final Destination style maps got old fast and I always found the 4 way stuff too laggy. Better matchmaking and more variety please.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
all thius "god I hope its not a port" stuff is irritating me. Theres no doubt that its going to have

- some new levels
- some new characters

Short of a new single player mode that I will spend all but 5 mins with, theres nothing to be gained by making 'a whole new smash'. Like MK, the game has peaked.

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Good news is, I am pretty sure that logically, all of your fears OP, are irrational.

My biggest fear is that it's a port, but I'm 95% confident that it's a brand new title.

I hope it's a port. It will give them more time to focus on content, and games like Bayonetta running on Switch have shown the power differential is incremental at best. Smash 4 was amazing, use the same assets and designs.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) Ike not top tier

2) A little bit too hard to kill things

3) A little bit too easy to recover

4) No great single player mode

5) No ranked online mode

6) No new mechanics

7) Cloud, Bayo and Ryu not coming back

8) Ike not top tier

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all thius "god I hope its not a port" stuff is irritating me. Theres no doubt that its going to have

- some new levels
- some new characters

Short of a new single player mode that I will spend all but 5 mins with, theres nothing to be gained by making 'a whole new smash'. Like MK, the game has peaked.

lol at this "game has peaked" nonsense I keep hearing. It's still a step down from a, what, 17 year old game?

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
DLC being just as awful as it was the last time. The DLC caused me to sell my copy of the Wii U version.

Honestly, hoping for a port on Switch has more to do with having acces to all the content from last time. It's the reason HW:DE looks so enticing.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That they cut Ganondorf and have online play akin to Brawl instead of improving upon the pretty good online in Smash U.

Happily though I think these are unlikely so my next would be... Snake doesn't return.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
The wish lists. The predictions. The fan furore and continual cycle of dissatisfaction, ennui, and whining.

Smash fans are literally the worst.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My fear is from the community more then anything.

And that Sakurai might listen to the esport community when making this game. I don't care what hardcore player you ask, but the more competitive you make the game the less fun it becomes.

I can't even allow my friends to play anymore and when I do I just don't play because of how boring it is.

There's more to smash then: 3 stock, fox, final destination, no items.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
That the starting roster is 20 again and all the cool DLC characters from 4 aren't coming back.

Also they strip any semblance of SP left from 4 and it's Pure Multi. I want them to bring back Adventure Mode.

Also if they ramp up FGC aspects a bunch. We don't need Omega versions of levels, and it doesn't need to be like Melee.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Non that I personally worry about, but competitive Smash: Bayonetta returns.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly assumed this would just be a port with a few additional characters. Huh.

Well my only fear is that it would play like Melee. As long as they avoid that, I'll be happy.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why are people afraid of it being a port, it clearly is a brand new game.

Yeah, I mean it's Sakurai we are talking about.

That man wasn't satisfied to do a simple port for the Smash Bros games that launched 2 months apart, so on what basis are we fearing that now, 4 years later, we would only be getting a port?

That's not how Sakurai works.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Classic mode will be ruined by 8 player smash again like it was in Smash 4 Wii U.
There will be no adventure mode or story mode
There will be a story mode but it will have bland generic stages and no dialogue like SSE.
Event mode will suck again like it did in Brawl and Smash 4 Wii U
Online play will be garbage again
There won't be a stage hazard toggle (Omega stages were shit. Let me customize stages just like everything else in the game)
There will be less than 15 newcomers
None of the newcomers I want will get in

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai giving in and catering to the competitive Melee-crowd

Oh boy, I´m already dead, am I not?
tbTDCY4.jpg

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I guess my fear is that I'll fool myself again that I might get into it this time around. I don't really like competitive games, so unless it has a meaty singleplayer or co-operative component, there won't be much to it for me. I like unlocking things, but I understand that this is a part of the series that people do not enjoy, as it gets in the way of the immediacy of the aforementioned competitive angle.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest fear with Smash 5 is that it will not be "revolutionary" enough to justify the sequel. I kind of feel like the game-play and graphical design of Smash 4, especially in HD on the Wii U, was the apex of the series in the current design. I see no reason why they couldn't have "Rocket League'd" it on the Switch and just continuously iterated on Smash 4 as the base game continuously adding more modes, characters, and stages.

A lot of people in this thread are clamoring for a sequel and I just hope the gameplay mechanics change enough to justify it--else you run the risk of fracturing the base for tournaments and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.