• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Huh. Maybe they've been secretive about Joker in Smash because there's going to be a Girl Joker in the P5 revision, & they're pulling a Wii Fit Trainer? I mean, if that leaked list is real, we'd at least be getting feminine costumes for 3 of the characters at this point, even if none of them are predominantly women.

4 if they add Crash.
Actually, you may not be far off. Atlus hasn't been typically shy about how they handle canon names (they stuck with the Ren Amamiya name for P5D, while ASW uses the name Ren on social media & likely P5A whenever that happens). So while I was cool with the decision to just use Joker as his name in Smash, I was a bit surprised given how Atlus used canon names in other games in the past. If we are getting a female variant of Joker/Ren in Smash by extension of P5R, it would explain why they would just go with Joker (unlike Makoto, the canon name of the P3 protagonist, Ren is more of a masculine name if I recall correctly).

I could be over-thinking it & Atlus went with the Joker name to not step on the toes of anyone's ideal name within P5 itself, but it would make sense if we are actually getting a FemJoker/Rin in Smash.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2389683-wayfarersclothes.png

Vs
Hero3male.png

C'mon.
Chibi all day

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Huh. Maybe they've been secretive about Joker in Smash because there's going to be a Girl Joker in the P5 revision, & they're pulling a Wii Fit Trainer? I mean, if that leaked list is real, we'd at least be getting feminine costumes for 3 of the characters at this point, even if none of them are predominantly women.

4 if they add Crash.
This lowkey makes me super hyped.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wait, scratch that, it could be for Ann in Joker's Final Smash (Erika Harlacher did record lines for the reveal at The Game Awards, after all). But I guess it depends on how other Final Smash assist characters are handled.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Wait, scratch that, it could be for Ann in Joker's Final Smash (Erika Harlacher did record lines for the reveal at The Game Awards, after all). But I guess it depends on how other Final Smash assist characters are handled.

Didn't they all have lines, though. "Jack" & "Jane" seems too specific. Are there Jane Frosts in SMT?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why there would be ponytail data for Ann because Joker's FS could just be like how it is in P5 and just show him jumping up, flashes of him and the other Phantom Thieves, and shadowy figures beating down the opponents caught in the FS. Of course maybe they could involve the team but I don't see why they'd do that if it were to be an accurate recreation of the All out Attack. Also it being Ann doesn't explain why it's called Jane

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not sure why there would be ponytail data for Ann because Joker's FS could just be like how it is in P5 and just show him jumping up, flashes of him and the other Phantom Thieves, and shadowy figures beating down the opponents caught in the FS. Of course maybe they could involve the team but I don't see why they'd do that if it were to be an accurate recreation of the All out Attack. Also it being Ann doesn't explain why it's called Jane
True, though my theory as to the use of the Joker name indicating a potential female variant was a bit farfetched in retrospect.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm gonna bet on their being a female MC for joker. Mainly because for the upcoming rumored port, that would be the way you sell the game again to anyone who has already played and beat it. A lot of people aren't going to double dip on a 90+ hour game to play the same content but portable. But they would if there's something like a whole new aspect to the campaign. Especially if it's moreso than what Persona 4 Golden offered. Plus the whole "we want a female MC" has been something people have wanted for awhile now.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the file is tied to Joker's seventh costume (signified by the C06 part), though it might just be duplicated for multiple alts so who knows. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out what it is.
Calling it now:

P5R is revealed alongside Joker in Smash and has a Female Protagnist.

F!Joker debuts as an alt alongside M!Joker.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they do a FeMC will it literally be a female version of Ren or would it be like P3 where it's a separate female character design?

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
True, though my theory as to the use of the Joker name indicating a potential female variant was a bit farfetched in retrospect.

Why? If most other cameos of Joker don't use the name "Joker" & instead opt for the characters name, & if Ren is a masculine name (Suggesting a feminine Joker would have a different one), then that makes a lot of sense to me that Smash would be the one exception that just calls them "Joker."

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you may not be far off. Atlus hasn't been typically shy about how they handle canon names (they stuck with the Ren Amamiya name for P5D, while ASW uses the name Ren on social media & likely P5A whenever that happens). So while I was cool with the decision to just use Joker as his name in Smash, I was a bit surprised given how Atlus used canon names in other games in the past. If we are getting a female variant of Joker/Ren in Smash by extension of P5R, it would explain why they would just go with Joker (unlike Makoto, the canon name of the P3 protagonist, Ren is more of a masculine name if I recall correctly).

I could be over-thinking it & Atlus went with the Joker name to not step on the toes of anyone's ideal name within P5 itself, but it would make sense if we are actually getting a FemJoker/Rin in Smash.
I think they just went with Joker because he's in his Phantom Thieves garb and that's what the other characters would call him anyway.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why? If most other cameos of Joker don't use the name "Joker" & instead opt for the character's name, & if Ren is a masculine name (Suggesting a feminine Joker would have a different one), then that makes a lot of sense to me that Smash would be the one exception that just calls them "Joker."
Perhaps that's the case. At least in Makoto Yuki's case, his name was decided after P3P was a thing & we got P3's FeMC. If Persona 5 R is to get a female version of Ren/Joker, the decision would have been made after Atlus settled on the name Ren for the anime onwards.

I think they just went with Joker because he's in his Phantom Thieves garb and that's what the other characters would call him anyway.
You're probably right, more so than my own more reasonable explanation (the "not step on the toes of anyone's ideal name within P5 itself" reason).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the file is tied to Joker's seventh costume (signified by the C06 part), though it might just be duplicated for multiple alts so who knows. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out what it is.
Smash is really inconsistent with alternate costumes. Cloud, Corrin, Inkling, Robin, Villager and Wario have their costumes alternate, as you'd expect. Mario on the other hand has his two alts at the very end. Olimar also has his Alph alts at the back half. Ridley's... are weird. Meta Ridley is the second alt available, but after that there's a costume gap in Meta Ridley until the eighth.

I wouldn't read too into where the costume is placed. It could literally be for any reason.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Smash is really inconsistent with alternate costumes. Cloud, Corrin, Inkling, Robin, Villager and Wario have their costumes alternate, as you'd expect. Mario on the other hand has his two alts at the very end. Olimar also has his Alph alts at the back half. Ridley's... are weird. Meta Ridley is the second alt available, but after that there's a costume gap in Meta Ridley until the eighth.

I wouldn't read too into where the costume is placed. It could literally be for any reason.
Oh, I wasn't trying to say the placement is weird, I just think the fact that the file (seemingly) only exists for that one costume slot is strange. I feel like a FeMc (like people are speculating this is pointing towards) would probably have four alts, and wouldn't be the seventh alt (based on how characters like Robin and Corrin go about it), but as you said, costume order is fairly inconsistent.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is very interesting, but it doesn't feel like there's enough to go on just yet.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Would feel bad for Atlus if FeMC leaked because of Smash and gain traction on social media, considering their stance on spoilers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when Atlus' Persona event is in March? Or are we still waiting for more details?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I wasn't trying to say the placement is weird, I just think the fact that the file (seemingly) only exists for that one costume slot is strange. I feel like a FeMc (like people are speculating this is pointing towards) would probably have four alts, and wouldn't be the seventh alt (based on how characters like Robin and Corrin go about it), but as you said, costume order is fairly inconsistent.
It is weird admittedly but at the same time the alternative that people speculate (that it's related to Ann/Final Smashes) seems even more unlikely since that implies they'd only have a Final Smash for one of the costumes ready when it'd most likely be universal. I think it's just that whatever "Jane" entails isn't fully implemented yet and just currently inhibits a generic costume slot.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's possible the other costumes aren't done yet

Or female Joker came so late that they were only able to give her one costume slot?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
It is weird admittedly but at the same time the alternative that people speculate (that it's related to Ann/Final Smashes) seems even more unlikely since that implies they'd only have a Final Smash for one of the costumes ready when it'd most likely be universal. I think it's just that whatever "Jane" entails isn't fully implemented yet and just currently inhibits a generic costume slot.
Yeah, I have a feeling that, whatever it is, just isn't implemented fully yet (which is why I brought up the idea that the files will be duplicated for other alts in my original post). With everything known right now, I think it's too unclear to come to any specific conclusion. It might not even be used when Joker actually releases.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Female Joker and Hero alts would help alleviate what's most likely to be 5 males in the fighter pass.

Unless one is KOS-MOS or something...

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Persona 5R? Persona 5 Ruby or Reloaded? I personally prefer Ruby. It can refer to the additional treasure target.

I think the female joker will be additional character like Marie. I have a theory that she will be a playable character during revelation arc.

At this point the demand is high, if demand can reveal ff7, why not p5r?

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that there would be a code per costume that allows certain party member having their finisher pose in Smash Bros. I know it seems unlikely but it would be cool if it happens.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Female Joker in a Persona 5 rerelease would be so much work that it would basically be a new storyline altogether. So many scenes would have to be rewritten and redone (there's already an hour of animated cutscenes in the original game). I personally don't think Atlus would go for it on a version that is almost guaranteed to sell less than the original, but I've been wrong before.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still say we can't write off Fate/Grand Order characters. I bet Nintendo wants to build that mobile bridge.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
It could honestly just be 'Persona 5 is huge, adding Joker would be fun and give us a lot of buzz.' Like, the game is super popular both in Japan and the West. Atus likely being easy to work with, the planned port, and Joker's general popularity all probably played a role. Joker also, compared to other choices, has a larger movepool than, say, a RE rep, and less legal hurdles than Sora. He's just a solid first DLC pick.
Oh I can see why Joker is being added (especially if the port rumors are true), but I am curious to know how Nintendo decides between "characters as a form of advertisement" or "big name series being added". It's most likely a mix of both like what Imran said.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's weird.
It seems like Nintendo is... Somehow... Listening to the feedback... It's not normal.
What now ? Xcloud on switch ?!?! Lol I know I'm dumb
It seems like that but I bet HRC was always intended for the game and just prioritized behind other aspects, so was eventually relegated to post-release DLC.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It seems like that but I bet HRC was always intended for the game and just prioritized behind other aspects, so was eventually relegated to post-release DLC.

Yeah it makes sense
By calling it "ultimate" they were probably intending to put all modes in it.

Anyway, can't wait for 3.0, this will be a meaty update.
Hopefully they can do something about online too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.