• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a dedicated Smash Bros topic about news and updates, but I personally feel this particular media blow-out today is of interest to people more than just those who follow Smash Bros news closely and deserves it's own topic.

Smash Bros Ultimate lifted a media embargo today, and a ton of footage from World of Light, Spirits Mode & Classic Mode (and many other things) in Smash Bros Ultimate are hitting today along with a lot of other new information you can gather through videos. I won't (and couldn't if I wanted to) post every one in the OP, but anyone feel free to link and discuss any of the videos coming out.

Here's a few that have already hit I'll choose to demonstrate:

Classic Mode Gameplay:

World of Light Gameplay:

IGN - Five Rounds from World of Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elgpe96ZF9A
Nintendo Wire - Spirits Mode Hands On: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-J6PsrJtUs
GameXplain - Palutena Guidance on King K. Rool Secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7y7xvJtYA

There's a LOT more and apparently more and more will be hitting all day. There's a lot to breakdown and pull from all the videos hitting, lots of new details, get to see Giga Bowser's boss in Classic Mode, and a lot more out there.

Feel free to post any of the various videos hitting right now, any observations, thoughts, or the like. I won't update the OP with everything, but I may post a few more of interest and observations myself.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of media had a hands-on event a few days ago. Now that the embargo is lifted they are sharing their thoughts on the game :

World of Light
World of Light is clearly a vastly better idea for Smash Bros. single-player than anything that's been seen before and it seems like it will take many hours to complete.

Spirit Battle
But if you don't have so much time the second single-player mode is called Spirit Battle and is designed for much shorter bouts. It works along similar principles to World of Light, in that you're battling spirits to earn the right to use them. [...] The intention is clearly to provide something new every time you return to the mode, with the anticipation of who you'll be facing increased further by an even deeper dive into the Nintendo back catalogue. For example, one of our favourite fights involved battling the three Elite Beat Divas from Elite Beat Agents, who were represented as recoloured female Corrins with jetpacks (which you can knock off and steal).

Classic
We literally had to be dragged off both modes, after 20 minutes on each, but even the third option was perfectly entertaining. It's simply called Classic and works pretty much the same as it has in the last few Smash Bros., where you battle a collection of related fighters (actual fighters, not recolours) before ending with an appropriately themed boss battle. We played as Mario in ours and ended up with Bowser who transformed into Giga Bowser as his final form.

General comments
The single-player modes are much better suited to both the gameplay of Smash Bros. and the status of the series as a sort of interactive museum of Nintendo (and a few others) history. But they're also entertaining simply because Smash itself is so much fun, and Ultimate more than ever.

Updating the OP...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for the single player content in this.
Race to the Finish is back!!

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
That race to the finish style bonus game in classic mode is kinda cool.

I still lament all the other modes we lost though. Thats gonna be something that could hurt the game in the long run.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Any news about coop in wol?

Gamexplain's video shows a slot for a P2 so yeah while it's not confirmed I'm almost certain the option will be there.

EDIT: At 4:32 in their WoL video.

EDIT2: Apparently not, they confirm it's single player only in another video. My bad!

Last edited:

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Single-Player looks incredible I think I'm slowly changing my view on it, even if I have no interest in exploring the mechanics of spirits and skills progression.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 3 weeks left, this is going to be a torture haha
Classic mode getting a platforming bonus game is reassuring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
World of Light sounds so goddamn bland. I don't know how the press is eating it up so much.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Gamexplain's video shows a slot for a P2 so yeah while it's not confirmed I'm almost certain the option will be there.

EDIT: At 4:32 in their WoL video.
I'm listening to their preview discussion and they said the Nintendo rep said it's single player only.

Edit: Actually it was the 10 new things video.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World of Light sounds awesome and the Spirits mode seems like a pared down version for quick on the go or pick up and play situations

really nice to see some legit single player in this game

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some previews and it seems like World of Light has little to no plot, eh...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maybe because they played it so they know what they're saying

If they enjoy random-ass versus fights against the same characters you already fight in every other mode, fair enough. I see no way that will actually be fun when Spirits Mode and Classic Mode are already there, though. Too many modes in the game are just "versus battles plus".

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
World of Light looks so much better than the past adventure modes, making it essentially a string of super event matches was a really good idea.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they went all out with Rathalos.

Not only are there fake flash bombs and pitfall traps in the form of Deku Nuts and, well, Pitfalls, it also looks you you can break parts of it off like in Monster Hunter.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
World of Light sounds so goddamn bland. I don't know how the press is eating it up so much.
Its a mission based rpg with a collection element and that you can play a little more freeform. That's going to appeal to people a lot more immediately than clunky attempts at turning smash into side scrolling platformers or beltscrolling brawlers.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If they enjoy random-ass versus fights against the same characters you already fight in every other mode, fair enough. I see no way that will actually be fun when Spirits Mode and Classic Mode are already there, though. Too many modes in the game are just "versus battles plus".
At this point there is no pleasing you with Smash. ALL of this is better than classic all stars you wish was there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Its a mission based rpg with a collection element and that you can play a little more freeform. That's going to appeal to people a lot more immediately than clunky attempts at turning smash into side scrolling platformers or beltscrolling brawlers.

Nothing about it is an RPG in any way. "Put stickers on your character to very slightly change things about them without actually changing anything meaningful" was already done in Brawl and that game at least attempted to do something more than just "event mode+".

It wouldn't be as annoying if Spirits Mode wasn't also Event Mode+.