• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DtzC468XgAACIEx.jpg

A game hasn't been #1 in the yearly lists in years as PlayStation Store cards have constantly dominated the top of the charts.
I guess all Nintendo fans who already own a Switch bought one :)

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
normally I'd say "Amazon doesn't represent the industry as a whole, so whatever", but the fact it has actually outsold all PSN cards is genuinely impressive. That hasn't happened on Amazon in quite some time .

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The perfect Nintendo storm, Nintendo hardware that sells well and people mostly buy only a few Nintendo first party games on.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for Nintendo. And why 3rd party support on Nintendo will probably never be a huge thing. Because Nintendo doesn't want it to be.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The perfect Nintendo storm, Nintendo hardware that sells well and people mostly buy only a few Nintendo first party games on.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for Nintendo. And why 3rd party support on Nintendo will probably never be a huge thing. Because Nintendo doesn't want it to be.

Attach rates for Nintendo platforms are historically in line with other systems. So, the average person isn't just buying a few games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Being above all PSN cards on the day of release in December of all months is ridiculously impressive. This game's gonna clean up. I wonder if it'll break some records in the US, like biggest launch month ever for an exclusive game.

Jan 10, 2018
Based on my anecdotal evidence... yup, this will sell like crazy

I'd like think that you thought your post isn't even to see trough

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not only the US is excited.

If you have a Switch the Pro Controller is a no-brainer must-have in my opinion. Buttons and analog sticks on the Joycons are wayyy too small for proper gaming.

Still surprised people buy this game physically. If there is one type of game where it makes absolute sense to buy the digital version, it's an online-evergreen like Smash Bros.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This is going to sell like mad.

That fighters pass is also going to have an insane attach rate, going by the first fighter, so far.

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
It helps that Amazon has been sold out of the other Nintendo evergreens for a couple of weeks now. Nintendo seriously cant keep Zelda and Mario stocked? Or don't want to...

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

When a Nintendo system sells well the number of games sold has been high as well, though yeah their games do benefit the most.
i agree that Nintendo look at third parties as supplementary and to cover their weaknesses not to drive hardware sales in general, though they have tried that approach in the past (like the WiiU) and it didn't work very well for them like it did with others.

edit:

Day one sales are more impressive to me because those records are harder to break but yeah the launch month sales are gonna be nuts too.

I'm waiting for that 10m+ shipment number :P

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It helps that Amazon has been sold out of the other Nintendo evergreens for a couple of weeks now. Nintendo seriously cant keep Zelda and Mario stocked? Or don't want to...

Likely plays little part, if any. Smash Bros. has been hovering near the top of the yearly chart for the past four or five months.

OP
OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well there is a couple of promotions on the eShop recently for Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda, so it might be they are looking at growing digital adoption. Still puzzling

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there is a couple of promotions on the eShop recently for Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda, so it might be they are looking at growing digital adoption. Still puzzling

It's likely an issue with NoA and Amazon specifically (which isn't uncommon), as first party Switch titles are readily available at most other retailers.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I am seeing a videogame outselling those PSN cards in the yearly chart. Jesus Christ this is impressive. This game is going to do insane numbers o_O

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's reading things like this that make me really, really glad I preordered hahahahah

It'll be interesting to see just how much it actually ends up having sold. All those people to watch be happy with their awesome new game, keep online comfortably active so I can find matchups that won't destroy me, and recruit into my maniacal schemes to convince Nintendo to make another Kid Icarus game.

Aaaaah this is gonna be fun.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Thats wild because those PSN cards are always number 1. I don't think I've ever seen a time when I've looked that its been beaten for the year anyways.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't seen a game outsell PSN cars in at least 3 or 4 years, so this is seriously unprecedented/. I predict 25-30 million lifetime at this rate.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This is going to have a Brawl-sized launch, isn't it?

Didn't Brawl break the record for biggest debut sales in history or something?

Dec 11, 2017
I know a game is big when I have 11 copies pre-ordered. I have Best Buy Gamers Club Elite Plus and get games for my friends all the time, so that they save some money...and did just that with offering Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to them.

10 people pre-ordered through me, which is more than any game before. Other big titles have had 4, or 6 of my friends get their games from me, but this sucker is something else.

I have quite a few other friends that got the game by their own means, too. Everyone I know is talking about it. Every Nintendo Switch owner is getting it. Several people I know are buying the system this weekend, just to get the game.

4 million plus, world wide this opening weekend is going to be a cinch to pass. I am excited for the numbers to come in and in the meantime am really enjoying it! Have fun, all.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I'm sure smash will sell at least 3 million units this month in U.S. Isn't this the first year psn cards were unavailable for a significant amount of time on Amazon.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure smash will sell at least 3 million units this month in U.S. Isn't this the first year psn cards were unavailable for a significant amount of time on Amazon.

I think they were unavailable last summer but I don't recall them being unavailable for a "significant amount of time". They have been pretty much in the top 5 the whole year until now.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those glass screen protectors outsold Read Dead Redemption 2 (either console), on Amazon, for 2018?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
And yet the entuisiast response all year is that Nintendo is gonna have a down year. Uh huh.

Feb 22, 2018
I bought the game from the eShop. Whenever Nintendo does the PR for the game i wonder if they will include the eShop's numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.