• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 6 days, 1 hour, 12 minutes, 27 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Smash needs an indie representative. Who should it be?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Quote from Cave Story.

Pretty much what I consider to be the first indie icon. His historical relevance combined with his awesome potential moveset make him a perfect fit.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Hornet!

Because Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time, indie or not.

I would pick Hornet over the knight because she's like the Zero to the knight's Mega Man. By that I mean: the cooler more interesting hero with personality.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Actually known or is that one of many rules Smash fans made up over the years
Half and half.
Sakurai has been on record to say that he will avoid region exclusive characters in recent years when he recognized he was TOO MUCH on japan in his mind.
That being said it still is 70+ japanese characters against 3 western characters (diddy, K Roll and Banjo) and just 1 western ip (Banjo)

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
Actually known or is that one of many rules Smash fans made up over the years
Most of the "rules" that people complain about are logical observations based on past trends.

But to answer your question, yes, Sakurai has said in the past that he likes to highlight Japanese gaming through Smash. Plus, all of the third-parties in Smash are Japanese characters bar the one ex-Nintendo owned character, so it's pretty obvious how he feels.

Peltz

Oct 26, 2017
He's not indie anymore but he had indie origins:

While I think Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight would both be fantastic, only Minecraft Steve is really as iconic as is necessary to be the one to break through. I’m saying this as someone who doesn’t even like Minecraft. And I also fully recognize he’s not an indie character anymore.

But this is definitely my answer. And his move list would be really unique.

Kanmurukillua

Jan 28, 2019
Reimu is the only one I'd really want that also deserves it. Steve would either be super boring as a character or his moveset would actually be legitimately awful to play against, especially if they went with a building mechanic or something.

Jan 10, 2018
Half and half.
Sakurai has been on record to say that he will avoid region exclusive characters in recent years when he recognized he was TOO MUCH on japan in his mind.
That being said it still is 70+ japanese characters against 3 western characters (diddy, K Roll and Banjo) and just 1 western ip (Banjo)
Japan has much more of a mascot culture. There aren't that many western gaming mascots beyond Tomb Raider and these 70+ consist overwhelmingly of Nintendo characters. Also lets not forget, this whole third party thing started with Sonic and Snake. Sega has ironically excellent business relationships with Nintendo and Kojima personally asked Sakurai.
Most of the "rules" that people complain about are logical observations based on past trends.

But to answer your question, yes, Sakurai has said in the past that he likes to highlight Japanese gaming through Smash. Plus, all of the third-parties in Smash are Japanese characters bar the one ex-Nintendo owned character, so it's pretty obvious how he feels.
Extrapolations based on interpreted patterns and not based on actuals are... not wise.

XandBosch

Oct 27, 2017
100% Minecraft Steve (should honestly already be in Smash).

Hollow Knight doesn't belong anywhere near the likes of Mario (yet).

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The only real answers are Steve (but he is not indie anymore) and Shovel Knight (who is an assist trophy).

No one else comes close.

No one knows who Reimu is.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly doesn't, but if it had to get one, it would have been Sans or the MC of Undertale or Shovel Knight. Though are off the table now though.

Hollow Knight is also a good answer.