• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 21, 2017
With a lot of classic games getting representatives in Smash, it seems we need at least one playable Indie.

However, who's available?

-Shovel Knight is an assist trophy
-Shantae is a spirit
-Sans is a costume

The first three that came to mind are already used and i'm curious who i'm missing.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
There's not a single indie game that deserves a character in Smash in my opinion. Having an assist trophy is already big enough.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Considering how Sakurai works, it will probably be Reimu from Touhou since he known to favor japanese stuff

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
18j2m19onu6s6jpg.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Hollow Knight for sure. The moveset it already there and would require very little tweaking to pull it off.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
weird to see people not from creepy chan sites cape for shantae, those games aren't good but they definitely have a lot of fan service

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Hollow Knight would be my personal answer, but Shantae seems the most fitting as she's been around a super long time. I'd also love Quote, but I don't think that would ever happen

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Quote and Curly Brace from Cave Story would fit in nicely, I think.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Quote is like the original Nintendo Indie character. Cave Story was an indie darling on the Wii before it was cool to be an indie game on a Nintendo console.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight make the most sense. I don't see any getting in with the dlc to be honest, and I expect if a character got in for the next game it'd most likely be shovel knight given SK already has the most prominent indie role in the game and Nintendo has a closer relationship with yacht club (publishing the games in Japan) than they do with pretty much any other indie studio

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Commander Video, that's why he disappeared from Smash after Smash 4. He'll even have Charles Martinet to narrate

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If not the goose, then the bomb chicken. If neither, the dude from the title screen of GALF in Golf Story

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Knowing Sakurai, it would probably be Reimu (who I wouldn't say no to). There are also great options with Hornet & Madeline.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted it to be Shovel Knight or Shantae. Shovel Knight was a massive success on Nintendo systems when it came out and IMO I view it to be a sort of a symbolic representation of Nintendo's welcoming of Indies during the Wii U flop days. I also wanted Shantae since that indie's been on Nintendo systems since the Gameboy Color, which really can't be said for any other prominent(ish) indie on Nintendo systems.

Both those choices didn't make the cut. In my eyes that means that Nintendo isn't really too bothered with having an "indie rep" in Smash Ultimate. There's literally none that are more worthy than Shovel Knight or Shantae, impact wise. Hollow Knight is phenomenal but there isn't a solid prior relationship with Nintendo like Wayforward or Yacht Club Games have with Nintendo. It was just a really great indie that was announced for switch and took a long-ass time to get there.

Idk. I love me some Hollow Knight but I'd get crabby if I find out that Hollow Knight gets in when Shovel Knight or Shantae are still on the sidelines. The indie rep from smash should represent Nintendo's efforts in the indie space in particular, as well as the indie rep having their game on the Switch system. With those in mind, idk of any more worthy than those already included.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shantae

She's like the closest thing to a Megaman/Banjo for indies could have and has been requested for a good while. I could see why Nintendo could think an indie character is a gamble so why not go with a popular request?

Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Kris (Deltarune), Reimu, and Quote would be sick too. Really indies being in Smash would be fantastic there's no reason to treat them as lesser and undeserving of proper playable representation

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's not a single indie game that deserves a character in Smash in my opinion. Having an assist trophy is already big enough.
For better or worse, I feel like this may be how Sakurai sees it since we got so many big-name indie characters relegated to Assist Trophy/Spirit/Mii Costume roles. Then again, we got Terry before Jin or Heihachi, so it could go either way. Though at least in Shantae's case, her spirit was Day 1, so perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for her.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda been Shovel Knight. Such a great, quality game that taps into the original Nintendo aesthetic and improves upon it.

I doubt if Cuphead counts since the studio is owned by Microsoft I think, but Cuphead with Mugman as an alt would be just the best.