• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the knight from hollow knight

tenor.gif

with hornet as an assist trophy

aefa5055b8ad2c09e0560z3jry.gif

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Quote from Cave Story.

latest

Pretty much what I consider to be the first indie icon. His historical relevance combined with his awesome potential moveset make him a perfect fit.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
My heart says that the "indie rep" for Smash should be The Level 35 Boss, from Mafia City.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Hornet!

Because Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of all time, indie or not.

I would pick Hornet over the knight because she's like the Zero to the knight's Mega Man. By that I mean: the cooler more interesting hero with personality.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Actually known or is that one of many rules Smash fans made up over the years

Half and half.
Sakurai has been on record to say that he will avoid region exclusive characters in recent years when he recognized he was TOO MUCH on japan in his mind.
That being said it still is 70+ japanese characters against 3 western characters (diddy, K Roll and Banjo) and just 1 western ip (Banjo)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Actually known or is that one of many rules Smash fans made up over the years
Most of the "rules" that people complain about are logical observations based on past trends.

But to answer your question, yes, Sakurai has said in the past that he likes to highlight Japanese gaming through Smash. Plus, all of the third-parties in Smash are Japanese characters bar the one ex-Nintendo owned character, so it's pretty obvious how he feels.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not indie anymore but he had indie origins:

187654_minecraft-steve-transparent-background.png
While I think Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight would both be fantastic, only Minecraft Steve is really as iconic as is necessary to be the one to break through. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even like Minecraft. And I also fully recognize he's not an indie character anymore.

But this is definitely my answer. And his move list would be really unique.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Reimu is the only one I'd really want that also deserves it. Steve would either be super boring as a character or his moveset would actually be legitimately awful to play against, especially if they went with a building mechanic or something.

Jan 10, 2018
Half and half.
Sakurai has been on record to say that he will avoid region exclusive characters in recent years when he recognized he was TOO MUCH on japan in his mind.
That being said it still is 70+ japanese characters against 3 western characters (diddy, K Roll and Banjo) and just 1 western ip (Banjo)

Japan has much more of a mascot culture. There aren't that many western gaming mascots beyond Tomb Raider and these 70+ consist overwhelmingly of Nintendo characters. Also lets not forget, this whole third party thing started with Sonic and Snake. Sega has ironically excellent business relationships with Nintendo and Kojima personally asked Sakurai.
Most of the "rules" that people complain about are logical observations based on past trends.

But to answer your question, yes, Sakurai has said in the past that he likes to highlight Japanese gaming through Smash. Plus, all of the third-parties in Smash are Japanese characters bar the one ex-Nintendo owned character, so it's pretty obvious how he feels.

Extrapolations based on interpreted patterns and not based on actuals are... not wise.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% Minecraft Steve (should honestly already be in Smash).

Hollow Knight doesn't belong anywhere near the likes of Mario (yet).

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead or Steve. Steve would work really well in the sense that he could have many, many skins that look differently.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The only real answers are Steve (but he is not indie anymore) and Shovel Knight (who is an assist trophy).

No one else comes close.

No one knows who Reimu is.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly doesn't, but if it had to get one, it would have been Sans or the MC of Undertale or Shovel Knight. Though are off the table now though.

Hollow Knight is also a good answer.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Reimu deserves it the most but Hornet would be the hypest for me.

Shovel Knight would also be great.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
If Reimu doesn't bring Love-Colored Master Spark and U.N. Owen Was Her? then she shouldn't bother showing up at all.

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
There's not a single indie game that deserves a character in Smash in my opinion. Having an assist trophy is already big enough.
Joker is in the game. A character that has not appeared on Nintendo consoles. Why shouldn't someone like Hollow Knight not be eligible then?