• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Joker is in the game. A character that has not appeared on Nintendo consoles. Why shouldn't someone like Hollow Knight not be eligible then?
Joker has had spin-offs that are on Nintendo consoles, but more importantly, he's from a big Japanese gaming company that's had a great relationship with Nintendo for a long time.

That alone puts him in a different league that someone like Hollow Knight in terms of likelihood.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Steve from Minecraft

Sans from Undertale

220px-Sans_undertale.jpg

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say it needs one at all and it'd be a rough wait to the next character for me, but Shantae seems to be the right combination of feasible and interesting.

Red from Transistor would be coolest.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Shantae, I don't care about the nonsense about her being in the game as a PNG file already. She has far closer ties to Nintendo than almost every DLC character with all of the early entries being exclusive to Nintendo handhelds, Smash doesn't have enough female fighters, her style and moveset fit right in and Wayforward would be keen to have her there so there wouldn't be a lack of music or skins unlike other guests (cough Cloud cough).

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
After reading 99999x "Hollow Knight"....does the main character even have a name? I don't think he is ever named. The Hollow Knight is the boss at the end, not the main character.

But yeah...anyway...+1 Hollow Knight

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Reimu, definitely

indie rep AND a proper shmup rep

edit: and it means we'd probably get another toby fox remix in smash

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading 99999x "Hollow Knight"....does the main character even have a name? I don't think he is ever named. The Hollow Knight is the boss at the end, not the main character.

But yeah...anyway...+1 Hollow Knight

He's just called the Knight.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Indies excel at the environmental puzzle genre and have since forever, so I'd like to see a character who reflects that. Chip/Melinda from Chip's Challenge maybe, or DROD's Beethro Budkin are my first thoughts, but maybe just the warehouse keeper from Sokoban would be indie enough, or the Lode Runner.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Shantae has huge appeal to eastern and western fans. Reimu is big in Japan but way more niche everywhere else. Shantae can also be put into Smash and still feel accurate to her games, but you can't really replicate that bullet hell origin of Reimu. Are any of the Touhou fighting games official?

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Are any of the Touhou fighting games official?
all of them that i know of
there's probably fan ones but the only ones i've ever seen mention of (immaterial and missing power, scarlet weather rhapsody, touhou hisoutensoku, hopeless masquerade, urban legend in limbo, antinomy of common flowers) are official

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I literally had to google who that is 😂

The touhou girl

I should play one of the games...not sure where to start
The newest game is a fine during starting point. Touhou 17.
Shantae has huge appeal to eastern and western fans. Reimu is big in Japan but way more niche everywhere else. Shantae can also be put into Smash and still feel accurate to her games, but you can't really replicate that bullet hell origin of Reimu. Are any of the Touhou fighting games official?
Yes, all official.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Shantae. 18 year-old franchise that has all five of its entries all on or will be one Nintendo systems with the first three originally exclusives and the fourth still launching on a Nintendo platform. WayForward has also done a ton of games on Nintendo platforms in general even launching the the Shantae sequel on DSiWare one of the earliest places to get indie game on Nintendo platforms.

All that history plus interesting possible moveset with hair whips and animal transformations. Also is another female fighter.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I think a Level 5 character would be more worthy than any indie, as indies are normally one-offs. Including a popular indie from nowadays would later feel like including the guy from Little King Story or Zack from Zack & Wiki. Good games for their era, but they don't represent a long franchise. Retro characters feel different to me in that sense, though, but I did feel like that about Shulk or Rosallina when they got in.

Anyways, if we go by popularity in Japan, I think it's either Cave Story, Undertale or Touhou.

Well said, i agree. But there are a few exceptions who would fit like Shantae.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all of them that i know of
there's probably fan ones but the only ones i've ever seen mention of (immaterial and missing power, scarlet weather rhapsody, touhou hisoutensoku, hopeless masquerade, urban legend in limbo, antinomy of common flowers) are official
There is Kobuto V: Burst Battle for fan games which I avoided because of the skeevy art.

I literally had to google who that is 😂

The touhou girl

I should play one of the games...not sure where to start
Ten Desires is often recommended as one of the easiest ones. You can even play it on Easy without missing anything.

Luna Nights is an awesome fanmade metroidvania.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Both Knights (from Shovel and Hollow) are perfect for the job and they represent the best of indie gaming.

BTW... Prior of those two... We need Bomberman on the roster (I know is an AT). He deserves so much his spot on Smash.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Reimu and Quote (Cave Story) are my answers. Both are the grandfathers of the japanese indie scene and are quite popular to this day. Flavour of the month picks like Hollow Knight, Madeline etc don't really make sense to me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Reimu and Quote (Cave Story) are my answers. Both are the grandfathers of the japanese indie scene and are quite popular to this day. Flavour of the month picks like Hollow Knight, Madeline etc don't really make sense to me.
I don't know if that's fair, Hollow Knight's third birthday is next month so it's hardly still in a honeymoon period. It's easily earned a place in the indie pantheon beside Undertale and Shovel Knight which both have something in the game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if that's fair, Hollow Knight's third birthday is next month so it's hardly still in a honeymoon period. It's easily earned a place in the indie pantheon beside Undertale and Shovel Knight which both have something in the game.

Has it really been that long? Damn, time flies.

While I'm not opposed to HK getting something in the game ala Shovel Knight and Undertale, I don't feel it has influenced the indie scene quite like Touhou and Cave Story, though. These two series are legit japanese indie classics and should get a playable character before any other highly popular modern indie game imo

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Who the hell is Reimu and why there are so many people stating she should be in "by far"? I literally never heard of her or seen her aspect before this thread, and I have 50 indies on Switch and hundreds on Steam.