• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Has it really been that long? Damn, time flies.

While I'm not opposed to HK getting something in the game ala Shovel Knight and Undertale, I don't feel it has influenced the indie scene quite like Touhou and Cave Story, though. These two series are legit japanese indie classics and should get a playable character before any other highly popular modern indie game imo
Oh I definitely don't disagree there, this was my original response:
Reimu deserves it the most but Hornet would be the hypest for me.

Shovel Knight would also be great.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Who the hell is Reimu and why there are so many people stating she should be in "by far"? I literally never heard of her or seen her aspect before this thread, and I have 50 indies on Switch and hundreds on Steam.
When you try to Literally Who an icon of the indie/doujin game scene that's been around for decades.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what classist means
When people talk about a character "deserving" to be in Smash, it almost always devolves into armchair sales talks and marketability rationalizations. Plus, many gamers in general still view indies as a lower class of games that don't deserve a spotlight as much as those from high profile companies. It's "be in the millions and highly marketed or get out."

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
thread should just be titled "Hollow Knight should be in smash" because thats the right answer.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It SHOULD be Shovel Knight, but since he's assisting this time around I will go with Hollow Knight instead. If its Reimu thats fine too.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Cuphead.

But the original dev (Studio MDHR) needs to add Cuphead as a handrawn character. No 3D.

QZbhwZil.jpg

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight , Shovel Knight, Goose, and The Beheaded/Prisoner from Dead Cells would all be great choices.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shantae, I don't care about the nonsense about her being in the game as a PNG file already. She has far closer ties to Nintendo than almost every DLC character with all of the early entries being exclusive to Nintendo handhelds, Smash doesn't have enough female fighters, her style and moveset fit right in and Wayforward would be keen to have her there so there wouldn't be a lack of music or skins unlike other guests (cough Cloud cough).
100% this.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Does Steve still count as indie? Because him

Honestly I think Sakurai should just rip the bandaid off all at once. Next Smash game should launch with multiple indie reps. Steve, Quote, Shovel Knight, Sans, etc.

May 5, 2018
I'd personally want Madeline from Celeste to be in Smash but I know that won't be happening. I'd be lucky to see Madeline/Badeline Spirits.

If we're talking indie games that are pretty dang huge that also deserve a spot in Smash...give me a Rocket League Car. F it go flow blown Daytona Car from Fighters Megamix in Smash but have the car from Rocket League.

Honestly he'd be an inspired character to include. His moveset could be very unique and tricky like the Villager.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Most of y'all haven't beaten Hollow Knight and it shows

image.png

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Shantae. Having a spirit in base game means nothing for DLC.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Yeah Reimu. Touhou has gotta be the biggest indie game series ever right? Or real close.

Also, im just gonna say it, fuck hollow knight, especially in this context. I already think the game is outright boring but giving up a ying yang ball summoning, ofuda shooting flying shmup shrine maiden to play as a funko pop manlet who does a sword slash, a bigger sword slash, shoots fireballs and, what, shinesparks? would be the lamest trade ever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Reimu. Touhou has gotta be the biggest indie game series ever right? Or real close.

Also, im just gonna say it, fuck hollow knight, especially in this context. I already think the game is outright boring but giving up a ying yang ball summoning, ofuda shooting flying shmup shrine maiden to play as a funko pop manlet who does a sword slash, a bigger sword slash, shoots fireballs and, what, shinesparks? would be the lamest trade ever.

This is the meanest thing I've ever read in my life.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with Reimu on this one. Touhou has basically been a pillar of the japanese indie scene for like two decades now, and Smash does need more female representation.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It just need to add more iconic gaming icons like Master Chief or Crash.
Why?

Smash isn't "Video Game All-Stars", all of the third-parties are pretty much just whoever Sakurai thinks would be cool. He even said in the Terry video that he doesn't even care if a character is particularly recognizable as long as they're fun to play as.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The MC from undertale could be interesting, with pacifist and genocide playstyles, I'm sure some interesting movesets could come about.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Not expecting him to ever be playable, but Goose would seriously be the best Assist Trophy ever.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I would've liked Shovel Knight, since that's the only indie game I've really played out of the recent ones but that's obviously not going to happen.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I could see Reimu, been around since 97 and has a huge influence on the Japanese indie game scene by having so many commercially available fan works in not only just games but all areas of media. Touhou is probably the only indie series that has commercially sold games done by official devs AND unofficial devs. Not too many people/companies are as lax on copyright like ZUN is.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Shantae "deserves" the spot I think. Shantae games are an OG indie title. Back on the Gameboy, Shantae was of such similar quality to first party games that a ton of people mistook it as a Nintendo game.

Shovel Knight would be the most fun I think, but assist trophy blah

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any indie char should be in smash, but if I had to choose one I think Quote would be most fitting: he's got a lot of history of Nintendo, is one of the oldest and most influential indies, is from a Japanese dev and still pops up in games from time to time.

If Reimu somehow gets in it'll be hilarious though, the salt would be incredible.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any indie char should be in smash, but if I had to choose one I think Quote would be most fitting: he's got a lot of history of Nintendo, is one of the oldest and most influential indies, is from a Japanese dev and still pops up in games from time to time.

If Reimu somehow gets in it'll be hilarious though, the salt would be incredible.
Quote has the uncomfortable situation of being technically owned by Nicalis because of that publisher's complete bullshit.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
-Shovel Knight is an assist trophy
-Shantae is a spirit
-Sans is a costume
If there was an indie character added right now, and all of these prior examples was disconfirmation, I would vote for Quote from Cave Story 100%. Curly Brace can be his echo fighter.

If all "rules" (pre-concieved declarations by fans following patterns) are off the table, then Shantae 1000%.