• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
hlr7WD2.jpg

Why in the world did it take 86 posts to see this, I mean honestly...

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Reimu joins Smash.
But her design is based on her ZUNart representation in the official shmups.

Flecko

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
there will be a indie character maybe the following:

The Human, Undyne, or Papyrus from Undertale
Hollow Knight
Shantae
Plague, King or Specter Knight from Shovel Knight

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
quote from cave story deserves it most and could make for a pretty unique character with the various weapons + the weapon leveling system

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I get why people are saying Hollow Knight, Shantae, Celeste and some others, but quite frankly there can only be one... and if you're going to include an indie character, it HAS to be Quote, there's no two ways about it, Cave Story is the indie game that made indie gaming into an actual thing people care about, he deserves it more than any other indie character even if CS has since clearly been surpassed as a game.

latest

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Shovel Knight would be my pick, but I really like the Hollow Knight suggestions. A moveset using Soul as a mechanic that you get by hitting your opponent would be dope.

I wonder if Sakurai has ever written about a western indie game on his Famitsu columns.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why not Adol from Ys? Long-running series that's been around for decades and he's basically the mascot of Falcom. And Falcom is more of an indie company than some of the suggestions here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to develop something of a love/hate for Reimu.

On one hand I've come to absolutely love the pic, and could see her doing a lot of really weird shit, and with how much the internet blew up for Terry I can't wait to see the West go absolutely ape-shit over her.

On the other hand it'd further cement the impression that Sakurai's DLC picks are all catered exclusively to Japanese audiences, and it's upsetting to think about what that does to my wishlist and to the overall Western discussion.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
this is a really weird take considering banjo

A Western pick that was also super popular in Japan, showing up in the top 10 of Japanese polls as recent as last year.

There are other Western picks that'd qualify as well such as Crash Bandicoot but the hopes for a purely Western pick like Doom Slayer, someone that could potentially elucidate Japanese audiences like Hero and Terry did Western, looks slimmer.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm starting to develop something of a love/hate for Reimu.

On one hand I've come to absolutely love the pic, and could see her doing a lot of really weird shit, and with how much the internet blew up for Terry I can't wait to see the West go absolutely ape-shit over her.

On the other hand it'd further cement the impression that Sakurai's DLC picks are all catered exclusively to Japanese audiences, and it's upsetting to think about what that does to my wishlist and to the overall Western discussion.
At this point I don't really care if a character is western or eastern. There's no quotas to fill. Every character can be Japanese or none can be. I purely want Reimu from a gameplay/fan perspective. She'd be a way more interesting fighter (in my head) than say someone like Doom Guy. Hell, I hope the rumors of Gordon Freeman being in is true because his moveset potential is way more promising than Doom Guy.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I don't really care if a character is western or eastern. There's no quotas to fill. Every character can be Japanese or none can be. I purely want Reimu from a gameplay/fan perspective. She'd be a way more interesting fighter (in my head) than say someone like Doom Guy. Hell, I hope the rumors of Gordon Freeman being in is true because his moveset potential is way more promising than Doom Guy.

I don't care about quotas, I care about options. I want the roster as stuffed as it can possibly get. And so the idea that some options are just not on the table because the Japanese don't give a shit is not one I like to hear.

For the record, I could've picked Master Chief, Rayman, Scorpion, etc. to make my point. Doom Slayer's just a personal want. Don't know why you felt the need to shit all over that, man.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Used to want Quote, but now that Nicalis has corrupted the poor boy I'd rather get Touhou I suppose. Any of the other options I'd go for are already in in some way (spirit, mii costume, whatever)

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I don't care about quotas, I care about options. I want the roster as stuffed as it can possibly get. And so the idea that some options are just not on the table because the Japanese don't give a shit is not one I like to hear.

For the record, I could've picked Master Chief, Rayman, Scorpion, etc. to make my point. Doom Slayer's just a personal want. Don't know why you felt the need to shit all over that, man.
I understand options, but personally I jus want whoever is the most fun to play as. A lot of western characters are semi-popular in Japan, it's just down to Sakurai's decision if the character would be fun to play as. Remember, he's a fan of shit like Half-life, DOOM, Halo, etc..

Oh, I wanted Doom Slayer too. But the Gordon rumors... mmm I love DOOM but I'll take Half-Life anytime of the day.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think there will ever be a playable indie character. Mii costume Sans is the closest we'll get

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
91-knp5eUsL._SL1500_.jpg

Sakurai likes his left-field fighters, a character like Owlboy would generate buzz beyond his status as just being the "indie-character".

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Oh man I didn't even think about all the music she'd come along with. Insane amount of remixes out there.
I already mentioned Cave Story and Touhou, but I didn't even THINK about the music... it could be fun. I'd be surprised if none of the Smash compossers have done anything touhou-related already, even if just for fun.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I already mentioned Cave Story and Touhou, but I didn't even THINK about the music... it could be fun. I'd be surprised if none of the Smash compossers have done anything touhou-related already, even if just for fun.
I think ZUN is the most 'credited' video game composer... you can't be a video game music composer and NOT done a touhou remix at one point.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would've liked Shovel Knight, since that's the only indie game I've really played out of the recent ones but that's obviously not going to happen.

Well, Little Mac was promoted from assist to playable, so you never know. I guess it depends on how long Yacht Club Games keep the IP alive.

Unless you mean specifically in Smash Ultimate, then yeah, not going to happen.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Toby Fox freehanded some Touhou music, he's got the chops for it

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Shantae. Who cares if she's a spirit. Mewtwo was a trophy before being added as DLC in smash 4.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Reimu joins Smash.
But her design is based on her ZUNart representation in the official shmups.
This ain't even a bad thing. Zun has proven that he can be a competent artist when not drunk, which he always is when designing new characters.
Th15Marisa.png

Like Marisa looking like this in Smash would be pure perfection.

Last edited:

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I'd honestly prefer Nintendo make a "Smash Bros: Indie Edition" than add any one indie character to Ultimate

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
This ain't even a bad thing. Zun has proven that he can be a competent artist when not drunk, which he always is when designing new characters.
Th15Marisa.png

Like Marisa looking like this in Smash would be pure perfection.
people saying that "hu hu touhou characters should look like their in-game art" don't know how that's actually a great idea