• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): inappropriate off-topic trolling in a sensitive thread
Shouldn't have tried to force a baby game into a competitive fighter, could have avoided all this.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Ya know if all Katie wants is a genuine apology for what happened... Zero got off lucky. This is a situation where nobody's calling for the end of Zero's career and all they want is just a genuine acknowledgement that he himself messed up. I'm personally all for people growing as individuals but the fact that he won't apologize really makes me question if he's truly grown from that time period

Also it's bizarre as hell to me that the one smash player I hate reading about is managing to be the most level headed and respectful individual in this whole shitshow. Good job, Leffen.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how Nintendo and Sakurai feel, especially considering some higher ups and Sakurai have gone to the E3 Smash tourneys and likely met a few of these people. :/ This is so disturbing...I can't even imagine...

Jesus.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This is terrible. In some of these stories, people mention a "sky house". What's that? I tried to google it, but found no answer. was it a real house where some smash players lived all together?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know if all Katie wants is a genuine apology for what happened... Zero got off lucky. This is a situation where nobody's calling for the end of Zero's career and all they want is just a genuine acknowledgement that he himself messed up. I'm personally all for people growing as individuals but the fact that he won't apologize really makes me question if he's truly grown from that time period

dude no

if he did this shit then he should be done. full stop.

Feb 16, 2018
I wonder how Nintendo and Sakurai feel, especially considering some higher ups and Sakurai have gone to the E3 Smash tourneys and likely met a few of these people. :/ This is so disturbing...I can't even imagine...

Jesus.
They'll just ignore the competitive community more now then they did in the past, they now have a good reason to not be involved in any of this. Any hope for Nintendo to support the smash community has been thrown out the window.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I knew it would eventually get to Zero, since all these people basically lived together.

cloudzack117

Oct 25, 2017
A friend told me that he was harassing some kids some time ago, but he hasnt showed me proof, and he also REALLY hates Leffen so I dont know if I could trust him
It's crazy that for years guys like Hbox, leffen, and Salem have been viewed as the bad guys of smash when all this shit was going down. Only thing leffen is guilty of is trash talking

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hence why I say lucky because sexual assault of a 15 year old is indeed a horrible fucking thing and in all cases would deserve to destroy someone's career.

And it should here. What satisfies the victim and what is a reasonable punishment are not always the same thing.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
www.ign.com

Evo Online Canceled Following Allegations Against Former CEO - IGN

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat 11 will no longer be a part of Evo 2020 after misconduct allegations brought up against Evo organizer.

Just saw they updated their article with a response/statement from Nintendo.

Update 7/2, 9:09pm PT
Nintendo has issued a statement to IGN regarding the allegations that have arisen in the fighting game community, and in the Super Smash Bros. community.
"At Nintendo, we are deeply disturbed by the allegations raised against certain members of the competitive gaming community. They are absolutely impermissible. We want to make it clear that we condemn all acts of violence, harassment, and exploitation against anyone and that we stand with the victims."

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
A friend told me that he was harassing some kids some time ago, but he hasnt showed me proof, and he also REALLY hates Leffen so I dont know if I could trust him

Depends on what kind of harassing. Leffen used to be a huge shithead and everyone hated him. He's still not really a nice person, but he seems decent enough now.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I would note that this has all been the Brawl/Smash 4/Ultimate community. I'm not aware of anything like this surfacing in the Melee community
Yes it has. Don't start this. Westballz has been accused of multiple things in the past twelve hours including trying to go on dates with minors, groping Mang0's wife, etc. This is a disgusting fucking thing to say. Don't make it a game vs. game thing.

Also, what fucking game did D1 start on? Every single game has people who need to be outed and exposed.

OP
OP
WildEagle18

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Hello. I'm not the most familiar with the Smash community, but I would like to ask why these people lived together in this "sky's house."

If this was explained, please feel free to point out where so I can read.

This is terrible. In some of these stories, people mention a "sky house". What's that? I tried to google it, but found no answer. was it a real house where some smash players lived all together?

Its a house own by a smash player Sky. Sky was an influential figurehead in both the Smash 4 and Utlimate community. He also had the benefit of having a nice house that is close to many regionals. So he would often host parties or allow competitors to stay at his house.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I'm going to guess that they're talking about YouTuber Sky Williams who threw parties and shit at his house.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Yo, everyday is another disappointing one with the news we get about this community ...

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Its a house own by a smash player Sky. Sky was an influential figurehead in both the Smash 4 and Utlimate community. He also had the benefit of having a nice house that is close to many regionals. So he would often host parties or allow competitors to stay at his house.
I'm going to guess that they're talking about YouTuber Sky Williams who threw parties and shit at his house.
That makes sense. So that's why there are so many people that knew about this stuff. It makes it so much disgusting.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Why does this seem to be so prevalent in the smash community compared to other fighting games? What's so different with the high profile people in the smash community?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo is smart they will go beyond condemning these individuals and explicitly separate themselves from any of these competitive scenes and actively urge their customers to stay away. Their brand can't afford to be tied in with a pedophile den. They can't stop their games from being played competitively (right?), but they can issue warnings to protect their underage customers.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Leffen's only really guilty of being kind of a dick amd taking trash talking waaaaay too far, but that was ages ago and he's grown a lot since then.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo is smart they will go beyond condemning these individuals and explicitly separate themselves from any of these competitive scenes and actively urge their customers to stay away. Their brand can't afford to be tied in with a pedophile den. They can't stop their games from being played competitively (right?), but they can issue warnings to protect their underage customers.
Nintendo was already separate from the competitive community to a degree that many competitive players considered a fault. All of these events are just proving that Nintendo was right to never get that involved.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would note that this has all been the Brawl/Smash 4/Ultimate community. I'm not aware of anything like this surfacing in the Melee community
This is just wrong btw. Melee players SleepyK, DJ Nintendo, & The Moon have all been implicated, new info came out about MacD, and stories about Westballz and others appear to be coming up later today. While there are bound to be less stories in general about the Melee community, as it is smaller and trends significantly older, there are still plenty of examples of misconduct.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017

riq

Feb 21, 2019
As someone who has younger siblings, those messages are textbook Parent nightmare.
Fuck Zero and we really, really need to have a dedicated thread about rape culture. The fact that Smash community is experiencing this is more telling of a systemic problem than Smash specifically attracting predators.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

D1 was a prominent member of the Melee community, and DJ Nintendo, The Moon, and Westballz have had allegations made against them just recently.

The whole Smash community is toxic as hell.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo was already separate from the competitive community to a degree that many competitive players considered a fault. All of these events are just proving that Nintendo was right to never get that involved.

Right, I just mean they should go beyond ignoring them to actually warning their customers. Parents need to know that their children are at risk of being groomed and raped at these events. It's what I would do if I were in their shoes, and I say that as someone high up at a large company. I don't say that to brag, just to show that I'm professionally in a place where I would be making that kind of decision and not just some guy sounding off without knowing what he's talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this seem to be so prevalent in the smash community compared to other fighting games? What's so different with the high profile people in the smash community?
i don't think it's necessarily the case that there are fewer abusers. There's just a lot of info coming out now. There is absolutely a lot centered around the 2015-2018 Smash 4 scene right now, which may have just been bigger or trended younger, but I doubt we don't see allegations come out in other fighting games sooner than later

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus.

They even had Zero and Mkleo to play an invitational.

If Nintendo wasn't supporting the fighting scene enough before, imagine now.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What's wrong with the smash community? Like damn. But good that everything is coming out.