• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
We do have a tiny bit of a visual idea how the characters, thanks to Spring Man already being an assist trophy.

I'd be shocked if their reach doesn't beat the Belmonts in terms of attack.
My guess is they will have the longest attack that aren't straight up projectiles, though they more or less will be projectiles in function. Probably similar to Link's boomerang in terms of aiming range and returning back to the player (though I imagine they'd do minimal if any damage on the way back).

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
ARMS character abilities are definitely not subtle in the context of the game, which is why they'll pick a character like Min Min with an interesting gimmick that translates well to Smash instead of "he parry" Spring Man or "she jump a lot" Ribbon Girl.

It's not supposed to be a gotcha. The Koopalings' depiction in Smash does not reflect their depiction in any of the other games they appear in, which includes piling up in a massive Clown Car for a few minutes in New Super Mario Bros. 2. This is your argument, not mine. You're making excuses where it suits you.

I'm not even going to touch the "nitty gritty who-cares slavish fanboy stuff" comment. I'd say putting the Koopalings in mass-produced Clown Cars and letting them transform into Shadow Mario is a far more significant departure from the source material than Ninjara standing a bit more upright than he should.

It's literally a gotcha. "Oh, if characters being different is so important then why didn't Sakurai make 7 unique Koopaling movsets?" I dunno, maybe because that would be a ridiculous waste of budget? Do I actually have to sit here and explain why a cast of fighting game characters with vastly different body types, animations, and abilities shouldn't all be stuffed into the the same set of hitboxes and generic attacks whereas a bunch of mini Bowser clones whose greatest functional difference is their hairstyle could be comfortably combined into one vehicle-based character without much issue?

Might as well not even bother making a new character, just throw Min Min's model over Little Mac. All she does is punch anyway!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If character abilities are a core part of the game along with the ARMS themselves, I don't really think it's crazy to at least have that represented in the game in some form. They even marketed the game that way. I agree that they already have a ton to work with for a moveset, so that's why I think it's weird for them to go the alt route and give characters abilities they don't use at all in the game. I'm all for giving characters uppercuts or something they don't use just to flesh out some areas, but homogenizing the roster makes no sense to me. It's an arena fighter that has a focus on movement. That stuff seems like it doesn't matter but it does.
Nailed it.

If character-specific abilities didn't matter they wouldn't even have bothered making more characters post-launch.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My comprehensive breakdown of each character's chance of getting in:

I don't believe in the Koopaling theory for this. I fully think we're gonna get a King of Fighters deal where everyone fights over it and only one gets in. I'm going to break down each character and try to decide who's most likely.

Spring Man

He's the main dude. Not really special or interesting, but he's the main guy.

Things going for him (Pro):

• Represents the franchise.
  • Already has a model and a lot of animations ready.
  • Could be a good "combo" addition along with Ribbon girl where they each split a spot.
Things going against him (Con):

• They would have just told us already if it were him.
  • They wouldn't have THIS long of a development time if it were him.
  • He seems like a character you'd have at launch, not an interesting DLC inclusion.

Overall chance: Pretty good. He's the main guy, so no matter what, it's a decent chance.

Ribbon Girl

She's... the girl main character. Not really much to say.

Pro
  • She's definitely in if Spring Man is in.
  • Having an extra jump is smash friendly special ability.

Con
  • Same cons as Springman. They wouldn't keep us in suspense if it were just her.

Chances: Pretty good. Same boat as Spring-Man.

Ninjara

The fast ninja dude. Popular online. Standard cool guy.

Pro
  • He's pretty popular.
  • Is the type of character Sakurai likes.

Con

• The ARMS character will almost certainly be a distance based zoner, but he's all about speed and agility. That works in the context of ARMS, but in Smash that's a massive design clash. His inclusion doesn't hold water in light of this.

Chances: Not great.

Master Mummy

The biggest, slowest bruiser of ARMS.

Pro

• Could have an interesting mummy based moveset as a surprise pick.

Con

• Come on.

Chances: Almost certainly not him.

Min-Min

The Ramen, kung fu girl. Very popular.

Pro

• Extremely popular as I mentioned before.
  • Won the Party Crash in late 2019. May or may not mean something.
  • Has a heavy emphasis on kicks in her moveset, which translates well to Smash.

Con

• Can't think of any. I don't like her though, is that a con?

Chances: Very good unfortunately.

Mechanica

The cute Robo girl.

Pro

• Unique build
  • Surprising in the way the mummy is, but not quite as unlikely.
  • Robot suit creates high levels of moveset potential.

Con

• Doesn't really capture the spirit of the series since it's just a regular person in a suit using robot arms, and not a weird freak with stretchy arms like most of the other characters.

Chances: Not bad, not good.

Twintelle

The extremely popular "thicc" celebrity of ARMS.

Pro

• Extremely popular.
  • Has regular human hands apart from her main tools of attack, likely easier to program.
  • Her slow down ability is very similar to something that's already in this games' engine.

Con

• Doesn't really represent the spirit of ARMS. Like Mechanica, she is not a weird freak with springy arms.

Chances: Very good, due to her sheer popularity and how well she'd translate into Smash.

Byte and Barq

The puppet fighter of ARMS.

Pro

• Puppet fighters aren't new to Smash. Might be a fun addition the devs would like to add as another iteration of a model the started with Rosalina.

Con

• Extremely difficult to make a character like this. Not popular enough to warrant making 2 movesets over.

Chances: Not good.

King Cobra

He's a pro sports skater snake streamer dude or something.
(Sssay that three times fast)

Pro

• Uhhhh?

Con

• It won't be this dude.

Chances: None.

Helix

He's a slimy lab experiment.

Pro

• Potentially interesting moveset I guess?
  • Piranha Plant factor as the first of the DLC character being a WTF character.

Con

• They wouldn't dare... would they?

Chances: Not impossible... and that may be enough!

Max Brass

The Jock and the original end boss. Reminds me of Captain Falcon.

Pro

• Extremely representative of ARMS while not being Spring Man.

Con

• Can't think of anything in particular. I don't think it'll be him, but I don't see why not.

Chances: Decent.

Lola Pop

The cute clown of ARMS.

Pro

• Would add much need clown representation to Smash brothers.
  • Her inflation ability feels tailor made to be her counter down b.

Con

• Doesn't exactly stand out.

Chances: Not good, not bad.

Misango

The Aztec inspired masked buffer.

Pros

• This is subjective, but he just has "the look".
  • His signature mechanic seems tailor made for Smash. Basically monado arts on a zoner.
  • Canonically obsessed with fighting, very representative of his franchise.

Cons

• Not exactly a main character.
  • Not really popular.

Chances: You know what? I think he's got a great shot. That's my hot take. He's the Dark Horse.

Springtron

Robot version of main character.

Pro

• He's a Spring Man alt potentially and that's it.

Con

• He lives and dies on Spring Man's inclusion.

Chances: Decent only because he's a robot clone of the main character.

Dr. Coyle

The "main villain" of ARMS, even though she's not really evil.

Pros

• Is a floaty, technical, zoning character that is the exact archtype any ARMS character would fall under in Smash.
  • Is also obsessed with fighting and ARMS in general, captures the spirit of the franchise.
  • Most moveset potential by far. Also the only ARMS character with an obvious and unique Final Smash that isn't just a punch combo (Hedlok).
  • Is the best ARMS character.

Cons

• Is the "villain". Not historically a pick for DLC.

Chances: Pretty good. Not as bad as people think, I have a feeling they're not going to do what they did with Terry this time.

What do you guys think they'll do?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally a gotcha. "Oh, if characters being different is so important then why didn't Sakurai make 7 unique Koopaling movsets?" I dunno, maybe because that would be a ridiculous waste of budget?
I didn't say anything like that. Obviously the Koopalings wouldn't have been included as unique characters. They're just bonuses. The same logic would apply to any of the ARMS characters hypothetically included as alts. If it comes down to just Spring Man by himself or Spring Man with good enough alternates of Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, I think Sakurai would go for the latter approach. I'd be happier to play as an imperfect Min Min than no Min Min at all, just like I'm happy to play as Alph and the Koopalings.

a bunch of mini Bowser clones whose greatest functional difference is their hairstyle
I was really hoping there was some substance to your argument. Oh well.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping there was some substance to your argument. Oh well.

Likewise, Mr. "Doesn't actually play ARMS but feels uniquely qualified to tell a Rank 15 player how the characters all actually play the same and could easily be skins".

I'm not saying there's absolutely no way they could have made decent Koopaling movesets. They have some pretty cool fights in NSMB2. I'm just saying that it makes a hell of a lot more sense for the very aesthetically similar Koopalings to have been implemented the way they were than it would for ARMS characters to all use the exact same animations, the same ARM loadouts, and completely lack the significant special abilities that make them unique.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
My guess is they will have the longest attack that aren't straight up projectiles, though they more or less will be projectiles in function. Probably similar to Link's boomerang in terms of aiming range and returning back to the player (though I imagine they'd do minimal if any damage on the way back).
Same. I'm also very interested in how they handle grab attacks. Will they share a similar long range? Will characters be able to attack their grab and disable their ARMS usage temporarily? All things to consider.

This character will definitely be extremely interesting not just from a moveset standpoint, but from a competitive one as well. I really want to see if they implement the different arm types and ailments, along with what you two said.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Likewise, Mr. "Doesn't actually play ARMS but feels uniquely qualified to tell a Rank 15 player how the characters all actually play the same and could easily be skins".
I've played ARMS. I don't think I need to reach Rank 15 to know how the characters function. There's not a whole lot going on.

And I didn't say they play the same in ARMS. I said they could feasibly be consolidated into a single move set in Smash representative of the spirit of ARMS: an athletic human with extendable arms and a variety of interchangeable wacky gloves. The alts wouldn't be 100% accurate, but none of the alts currently in Smash are.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe in the Koopaling theory for this. I fully think we're gonna get a King of Fighters deal where everyone fights over it and only one gets in. I'm going to break down each character and try to decide who's most likely.

Spring Man

• Could be a good "combo" addition along with Ribbon girl where they each split a spot.

• He seems like a character you'd have at launch, not an interesting DLC inclusion.

Overall chance: Pretty good. He's the main guy, so no matter what, it's a decent chance.

Ribbon Girl

Pro

Con
  • Same cons as Springman. They wouldn't keep us in suspense if it were just her.

Ninjara

Pro
  • He's pretty popular.

Con

• The ARMS character will almost certainly be a distance based zoner, but he's all about speed and agility. That works in the context of ARMS, but in Smash that's a massive design clash. His inclusion doesn't hold water in light of this.

Hard to disagree with these

Master Mummy

Pro

Con

• Come on.
lmao

Pro

Con

Lord I wish it was a con

Pro

• Extremely popular.
  • Has regular human hands apart from her main tools of attack, likely easier to program.
  • Her slow down ability is very similar to something that's already in this games' engine.

Con

• Doesn't really represent the spirit of ARMS. Like Mechanica, she is not a weird freak with springy arms.

Chances: Very good, due to her sheer popularity and how well she'd translate into Smash.

Can't really disagree with this either, though i'm starting to wonder about her overall chances

King Cobra

Pro

• Uhhhh?

Con

• It won't be this dude

Ahahahaha

Pro

Con

• Can't think of anything in particular. I don't think it'll be him, but I don't see why not.

0% chance this dude gets in over Springman

Misango

Pros

• His signature mechanic seems tailor made for Smash. Basically monado arts on a zoner.

Cons

• Not really popular.

Chances: You know what? I think he's got a great shot. That's my hot take. He's the Dark Horse.

That mechanic of his pretty much his only ticket in

Pros

• Is a floaty, technical, zoning character that is the exact archtype any ARMS character would fall under in Smash.
  • Is also obsessed with fighting and ARMS in general, captures the spirit of the franchise.
  • Most moveset potential by far. Also the only ARMS character with an obvious and unique Final Smash that isn't just a punch combo (Hedlok).

Cons

Chances: Pretty good. Not as bad as people think, I have a feeling they're not going to do what they did with Terry this time.

If they were adding 2 ARMs characters, she would be a stellar addition

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Byleth doesn't even have actual skins based on other characters and yet still stole their signature legendary weapons. I think the kick attack for example is the kind of extra ability they could throw in just to fill an ARMS moveset, even if the character isn't Min Min.
Pretty sure any character in Three Houses can equip all legendary weapons except they get penalties so that doesn't count
They appear in that clown car for cutscenes. They all get individual battles with unique abilities that then proceed to get completely ignored by their Smash representation. Even their magic rods as skins were only added in Ultimate.
"Unique abilities" you wouldn't believe that from the fact that the moment you hit them they may as well be re-skins of each other

Unlike ARMS fighters who are unique, the Koopalings only work as a group and no one cares for them individually so using them as a counterpoint doesn't work

Last edited:

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that there are some tension here over the disagreements tho. If there are disagreements then just leave it as and we will see who is right or not when the character(s) got announced. To be honest, I'm totally okay with it if they decided to do multiple in one or specific characters like Spring Man, Min Min, and Twintelle.

On other subject; just let me remind yall about prediction contest.

www.resetera.com

Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Fighters Pass VOL. 2 | Prediction Contest

I would like to invite everyone to join this contest: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol.2 Roster Prediction Contest. The point of this contest is that people would have to predict most accurate roster for Fighters Pass Vol. 2 in order to win the contest. I would like to remind...

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
My dream would be to have Mechanica as a fighter. But I know that will never happen.

I'd love for this to synergize with an ARMS two, or an ARMS expansion pass with new characters, modes, story mode and more activities.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't agree that multiple ARMS character should be consolidated into a single character without gameplay differences.

It's about context for me. They're different characters in a fighting game. The whole point is that they have some different abilities in order to appeal to a variety of players. Like Ryu and Ken for example... you could feasibly give them the same gameplay, but it just feels wrong, you know? Because the whole point is that they're slightly different.

It also feels like it does a bit of a disservice to ARMS the game. To ignore the detailing on its characters.

Anyway, I'm hoping Smash finally breaks its pattern of putting in the main character first. I hope we just get Min Min or Twintelle or something. It would feel so out-of-place compared to the other Smash characters, but it would be cool. I prefer Smash gives us the fan favorite characters rather than having to put in the main ones. And do a bit for diversity.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
New theory - It will be Twintelle precisely because she does not use her actual Arms. Why? Cause it makes for the easiest Kirby hat, which Sakurai has already told us is kind of a pain in the ass to implement (legit I believe is the reason why so many neutral b are charge moves). Neutral B will be flurry rush. Usually we would think that would be a final Smash but since we have an assist trophy that does it than I think they will come up with something new. Maybe involving Hedlok? Or like Gamexplain suggested where they take from the mini game modes and dunk you into a basketball hoop lol

Jul 3, 2019
It's totally between Twintelle or Min-Min.
I could see them going with Min-Min just based on winning that last big online ARM's event.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
We aren't thinking this will be one of those 8 in 1 characters?

584785-SmashUltimateArms.jpg

I think it would be really fucking cool if character 6 were actually like 4-6 Arms characters, separate slots, all echoes of one main fighter, which would likely be Springman or Ribbon Girl.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I think it would be really fucking cool if character 6 were actually like 4-6 Arms characters, separate slots, all echoes of one main fighter, which would likely be Springman or Ribbon Girl.

That would be crazy if we actually get 8 but I can't really see that. But it's a possibly tho.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

This is the most likely case (it'd be like with Hero), but it doesnt stop people from insisting that it HAS to be Twintell because Spring Man is apparently the worst thing ever.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New theory - It will be Twintelle precisely because she does not use her actual Arms. Why? Cause it makes for the easiest Kirby hat, which Sakurai has already told us is kind of a pain in the ass to implement (legit I believe is the reason why so many neutral b are charge moves). Neutral B will be flurry rush. Usually we would think that would be a final Smash but since we have an assist trophy that does it than I think they will come up with something new. Maybe involving Hedlok? Or like Gamexplain suggested where they take from the mini game modes and dunk you into a basketball hoop lol
Final Smash will 100% be Hedlok unleashing a volley of multiple ARMS finishing with the giant explosive orb attack.

I don't think the Kirby theory holds much water personally, if anything I think Twintelle would make it more complicated because that'd mean her hair would have to display the ARMS at all times. If Kirby copies someone like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl or Min Min though, chances are they'd just give him the character headpiece and that he'd spawn whatever ARMS is used as a neutral special.

I doubt this will be the case mainly because I don't see Nintendo putting that much resources to represent a game that's already hard to translate into Smash, is new, and has questionable long-term staying power as a series (ARMS was a success but that mostly puts it as a B-tier Nintendo series). It's incredibly ambitious and optimistic, but I've been proven wrong before and it'd be interesting to see.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Spring Man

Ribbon Girl

Pro

Con

Ninjara

Pro
  • He's pretty popular.

Con

Master Mummy

Pro

Con

• Come on.

Chances: Almost certainly not him.

Min-Min

Pro

Con

Mechanica

The cute Robo girl.

Pro

• Unique build
  • Surprising in the way the mummy is, but not quite as unlikely.
  • Robot suit creates high levels of moveset potential.

Con

• Doesn't really capture the spirit of the series since it's just a regular person in a suit using robot arms, and not a weird freak with stretchy arms like most of the other characters.

Chances: Not bad, not good.

Twintelle

Pro

• Extremely popular.

Con

Byte and Barq

The puppet fighter of ARMS.

Pro

• Puppet fighters aren't new to Smash. Might be a fun addition the devs would like to add as another iteration of a model the started with Rosalina.

Con

• Extremely difficult to make a character like this. Not popular enough to warrant making 2 movesets over.

Chances: Not good.

King Cobra

Pro

• Uhhhh?

Con

• It won't be this dude.

Helix

He's a slimy lab experiment.

Pro

• Potentially interesting moveset I guess?
  • Piranha Plant factor as the first of the DLC character being a WTF character.

Con

• They wouldn't dare... would they?

Chances: Not impossible... and that may be enough!

Max Brass

Pro

Con

Lola Pop

The cute clown of ARMS.

Pro

• Would add much need clown representation to Smash brothers.
  • Her inflation ability feels tailor made to be her counter down b.

Con

• Doesn't exactly stand out.

Chances: Not good, not bad.

Misango

Pros

Cons

• Not really popular.

Springtron

Robot version of main character.

Pro

• He's a Spring Man alt potentially and that's it.

Con

• He lives and dies on Spring Man's inclusion.

Chances: Decent only because he's a robot clone of the main character.

Dr. Coyle

Pros

Cons

What do you guys think they'll do?

I mostly agree. I'm expecting some combination of Spring Man/Tron, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Twintelle.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This is the most likely case (it'd be like with Hero), but it doesnt stop people from insisting that it HAS to be Twintell because Spring Man is apparently the worst thing ever.
I mostly agree. I'm expecting some combination of Spring Man/Tron, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Twintelle.
I doubt it, but not because of a Twintelle or Min Min thing. Having them all be one character would diminish the uniqueness of each character. Not to mention that they're putting so much effort into the mechanics of the character, to the point where we have to wait until June. Having 4+ different alts on top of that would be an insane amount of work.

It works for Hero because they're all self-inserts already. That's not the case for the ARMS cast.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I doubt it, but not because of a Twintelle or Min Min thing. Having them all be one character would diminish the uniqueness of each character. Not to mention that they're putting so much effort into the mechanics of the character, to the point where we have to wait until June. Having 4+ different alts on top of that would be an insane amount of work.

It works for Hero because they're all self-inserts already. That's not the case for the ARMS cast.

I'm not expecting a Jr/Hero situation but I think we will get more than one character somehow, whether that's echoes or alts I'm not sure. I'm personally leaning on a Fox/Falco level clone, where we might get Sping Man and Ribbon Girl as a Byleth-style fighter (or Ribbon Girl as an echo) and either of the other two as a related but mechanically different fighter.

Maybe the better comparison is Villager/Isabelle? They're very similar but also very unique. That's what I'm expecting.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not expecting a Jr/Hero situation but I think we will get more than one character somehow, whether that's echoes or alts I'm not sure. I'm personally leaning on a Fox/Falco level clone, where we might get Sping Man and Ribbon Girl as a Byleth-style fighter (or Ribbon Girl as an echo) and either of the other two as a related but mechanically different fighter.

Maybe the better comparison is Villager/Isabelle? They're very similar but also very unique. That's what I'm expecting.
Isabelle is a semi-clone of Villager, her work-load is closer to that of a unique character than an echo fighter (correct me if I'm wrong).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Isabelle is a semi-clone of Villager, her work-load is closer to that of a unique character than an echo fighter (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think you're correct. I think that could work were they to want to bring in multiple ARMs reps beyond Spring/Ribbon. They could presumably reuse a lot of animations/models for the ARMs themselves as well as a few other things to have two characters for the price of 1.5. Or 3 if they do Spring/Ribbon as one.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The dream: some Mii Fighter-esque Arms fighter that you get to build and choose a base + Arms for.

The reality: the fighter is Min Min and all the other fighters join as Mii Costumes

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Theory. It's 8 characters...controlled by Headlock. Have them all be controlled by Headlock and make Headlock's gimmick (4 arms) the main gimmick. Then you can ignore the other fighter's quirks and have multiple characters while still following ARMS lore.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I was thinking the ARMS Smash Ultimate reel containing 15 characters =>

8 playable skin-alt characters, and an additional 7 of them are Echo Fighters. A total of 15 characters.