• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
YES finally more Nintendo characters as it should be (I may be in the minority, but Byleth made me very happy, and now an ARMS character?!? *swoon*)

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
If it was a character with alt skins I feel like they would have just announced it (unless the cg trailer isn't ready). I'm leaning towards new character.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
According to the ARMS Wiki:

Assuming this is true(I haven't played Arms), the "ARMS" in question aren't the fighters' organic limbs but the weapons that are attached to the robotic limbs.

Which means Twintelle is still elegible.
No, the extendable arms are actually part of these fighters' bodies (outside of mechanical ones like Mechanica's). The basic story behind these mutations is that these fighters used to be normal people but then woke up one day with these coiled arms lol.

The "ARMS" refers to the actual weapons attached to their fists. Those are, obviously, not organic and in the game are freely customizable.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a fighting game officianado, ARMS was one of the most boring ones I've played in recent years. Too Complex for a basic beginner to pick up (Thanks to the charge moves which took forever to explain to unfamiliar people at conventions) but also too simple for those more versed in fighting games. It didn't help most of the roster didn't even have much to differentiate eachother outside of designs. Since anyone could have anyone else's ARMS most characters felt almost identical to each-other, heck, even the Super Moves for all the characters were the identical flurry rush of hits. No unique dialogue to even let the characters stand out either and the unique endings was literally just a still image (Although I hear later updates gave Coyle some stuff and interactions, but I had long moved on from the game and had sold it at that point). So in all honesty? I'm having a hard time debating if this is a more boring choice than Byleth and is probably the least interesting pick yet for me. Also feels like a pretty boring one in general if you want to sell Character Passes.

I guess since we have to have one it'll be cool if it was Min Min, her Dragon Arm and Kicks at least made her stand out a little bit more than the other members of the fairly forgettable cast. Twintelle wouldn't be terrible either. Just don't be Spring Guy, he's one of the lamest main characters I've seen in a long time. If you want a Box Art character go with Ribbon Girl instead. Spring Person would actually be a worse than Byleth pick for me, with the only blessing is if Spring Being did get in, that would finally break the Assist Trophy rule at long last so we can start discussing about more interesting Nintendo picks that everyone said couldn't be in due to them already being an Assist Trophy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that makes me think MinMin over Twintelle?

Sakurai may want to work the ARMS switching mechanic (and thus the various ARMS abilities) into the character. MinMin's personal trait is simple and unobtrusive enough to either ignore entirely or fit into her moveset without overshadowing the ARMS mechanic

Twintelle, however, in addition to a freezing mechanic, a wind mechanic, and a stun mechanic for each of her ARMS, would also require a Bayo-style time slow and a Peach-style float

This is also another reason I'd prefer Twintelle. She'd be a really interesting character

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gonna post more pics because why not? Probably my fav art style this gen since it very reminisces of 90's Capcom.
dhNzzHw.jpg

BB5vJdS.jpg

hYHbwEj.jpg

tIcIvmn.jpg

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
And they couldn't promote the game with a Spring man announcement?
You're just asking for backlash by presenting people with characters it's NOT going to be, though.
Let me ask you this, when was the last time a new series was added to Smash and the first rep wasn't the main character?
They could have added Edelgard who was clearly fan favourite but they didn't. It will be the same here. Again I'm warning people to lower their expectations.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Don't go in expecting Twintelle, everyone.
Spring Man is most likely out since he's an assist, and Twintelle is by far the most popular character of the game.
It's a Morrigan situation. Not the protag of the serie, but became so popular she became the face of the serie.

It'll probably be Ribbon Girl, but given Twintelle popularity (again, it's not even close, she's by far the most popular character and devs are well aware), it's not surprising that we're rooting for her. It's a real possibility. Especially since they decided to not tell us who it's going to be.

I could see them doing a weird move of replacing Spring Man's assist by Springtron in order to let Spring Man be the character, but that would suck, give us a woman lol they're the most liked character of the franchise.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont play arms, but I hope it's twintelle so we can have some people of color on the roster. And her design is bomb af

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me ask you this, when was the last time a new series was added to Smash and the first rep wasn't the main character?
They could have added Edelgard who was clearly fan favourite but they didn't. It will be the same here. Again I'm warning people to lower their expectations.
When was the last time a series got in Smash in the same game it's hero is an assist trophy? I'm not saying it won't be Spring man but we're in uncharted waters here.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well....didn't expect Nintendo to randomly shadow drop a direct (like what the fuck was that? At least give us a little heads up).

Challenger #6 is gonna be from ARMS, huh.
Well, I definitely didn't expect that. I don't really care for Arms as an IP but the character designs are alright and the music is boppin'. Should make an interesting addition to the Smash roster. Btw they should totally do the whole "this FSmash outranges that FSmash" bit for the trailer, starting with Shulk and going all the way up to the ARMS fighter....

...yea, the ARMS fighter. Interesting way to reveal that. Who's it gonna be? Well, them being so coy about it leads me to believe it is not (just) gonna be Spring-Man. Whoever it is gonna be has some interesting implications for Smash speculation:

- if it IS Spring-Man, then an Assist Trophy will have been promoted to full fledged character within the same game. Waluigi's fanbase is gonna go into overdrive if this happens.

- If it's not Spring-Man, then this is the first time the main character isn't prioritized when it comes to representing a new IP. This would give hope to people hoping for some D-listers.

I think it's gonna be a Bowser jr./Hero situation with multiple characters represented, but we're gonna see. Interesting times ahead.

Also, as a side note, Sakurai defo wasn't lying when he said this was gonna take a little longer. Gap between Byleth and Arms gonna be 4-5 months (might even be longer cause of the damn virus). I expected this, though and overall I'm fine with it.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Spring Man is most likely out since he's an assist, and Twintelle is by far the most popular character of the game.
It's a Morrigan situation.
Who told you Twintelle is the most popular? The initial reveal Twitter hype?

We know who is the most popular character already, the official account of the game already told us via an in-game survey.
Expect her to be the one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

We know who is the most popular character already, the official account of the game already told us via an in-game survey.
If you're talking about Party Crashes, they're equal parts popularity & skill. Not unlike Splatfests, popularity can also backfire. I wouldn't immediately dismiss Twintelle, as I feel like it's between her & Min Min.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think it's gonna be a Bowser jr./Hero situation with multiple characters represented, but we're gonna see. Interesting times ahead.
Why do people keep saying this? The vast majority of characters in ARMS play nothing like each other, not to mention having completely different skeletons.

The only ones that would even remotely make sense for a "Hero" situation for Spring-man are Springtron and Ribbon Girl, but that would mean getting rid of their unique abilities. You can't swap in Ninjara, Min Min, or Twintelle because their fighting styles are nothing like Spring-man's.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

I'm pretty sure Twintelle is more popular than Minmin. They're both really popular, but at least in the West, like proved in this very thread, Twintelle stays the most popular.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of impressive that we're 6 characters in and there still isn't one I want to buy. I got most of the Smash 4 DLC characters but I just don't care about any of these so far. Luckily I love the base roster.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
I want Twintelle for the diversity and character design.

But Sakurai is too loyal and devoted to doing the DLC justice and representing them well. She'd have to have the equivalent of Peach Float/Bayonetta Witch Time/Bats Within, and those mechanics don't need to be given to anyone else.

I'm torn.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure Twintelle is more popular than Minmin. They're both really popular, but at least in the West, like proved in this very thread, Twintelle stays the most popular.
I still remember they updated the ARMS test to add her just because of the reactions, she also was designed for Western fans if I remember correctly.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want Twintelle for the diversity and character design.

But Sakurai is too loyal and devoted to doing the DLC justice and representing them well. She'd have to have the equivalent of Peach Float/Bayonetta Witch Time/Bats Within, and those mechanics don't need to be given to anyone else.

I'm torn.
She has a limited version of Witch Time & no Bat Within equivalent, she wouldn't be that bad.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
If it does end up being Spring Man, they'll probably patch his assist trophy into another character.

I could see it being Spring Man with the assist becoming Springtron. If they want to go for broke, they could bundle in a Robbon Girl echo fighter.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like we're getting more than one rep, just due to the fact they didn't come out and say who it was. Maybe we're getting Spring Man With a Ribbon Girl echo. Maybe Spring Man and Twintelle. Maybe Twintelle AND Ribbon Girl With a Spring Man echo?

It just seems weird to not say who it is AND to not do the special intro trailer. Why acknowledge it at all if they don't have to?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'd be obvious to expect one of the poster characters, but they're being a bit coy about who it could be so...

I could see them do Ribbon Girl over Spring Man
or maybe it'll actually be Twintelle, which would be funny as the one fighter not fighting with arms.
I'm hoping it's the clown because we need a clown fighter, lol

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
thinking spring man is rule out Because of his AT shmm...

It just seems weird to not say who it is AND to not do the special intro trailer. Why acknowledge it at all if they don't have to?
no special intro trailer right now might be because of Covid-19 have impact to production team?

Oct 27, 2017

I remember during the public beta for ARMS, Teintelle (along with several other characters) wasn't originally going to be in the beta, but she got added in due to fan demand.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Hmm....

In order of most likely:

Min Min
Twintelle
Ribbon Girl

Really want Springman but I doubt this will free him from his assist trophy jail cell.

In any case this possibly breaks the "main character/poster child" only rule for DLC candidates!

I'm just happy were getting anything ARMS related... ;-;

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna post more pics because why not? Probably my fav art style this gen since it very reminisces of 90's Capcom.
dhNzzHw.jpg

BB5vJdS.jpg

hYHbwEj.jpg

tIcIvmn.jpg
Please feel free to post more, because I love the art of ARMS.

Also, people keep rooting for Twintelle but I wish it'd be Dr. Coyle just because it'd be interesting to have more female villains in the roster.