• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i think the best three things about this is
1. its not setting a precedent for fp2 to be all third party characters
2. there's a good chance we're getting a female character
3. arms has amazing designs

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's that yellow announcer guy at the top left, there has to be a reason they added his smug little face in there with the other fighters.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
i think the best three things about this is
1. its not setting a precedent for fp2 to be all third party characters
2. there's a good chance we're getting a female character
3. arms has amazing designs
They really do, I even did a whole thread on them (it took me a week to make this).
www.resetera.com

My Thoughts on All 15 Characters from ARMS

Following in the footsteps of my SFV character threads, I've decided to tackle my thoughts on the entire cast of ARMS. Something to keep in mind is that I pretty much covered Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, & Twintelle in my previous Spring Man vs. Other Fighting Game Poster Boys thread, so I'm gonna...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's that yellow announcer guy at the top left, there has to be a reason they added his smug little face in there with the other fighters.
He's the announcer/mascot, he's usually always in ARMS related screenshot that have presence of dialogue.

It would make for a huge swerve admittedly, though Sakurai would be tasked with the hurdle of designing a character from the ground up.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why some people are thinking it'll be one character with alts for most of the cast. Have you even played ARMS? All characters (except like Spring Man and Springtron) are fully unique. Sure if it was any other game I could've entertained the possibility, but Smash with Sakurai? Representing characters properly is big for him. If Ribbon Girl makes it but can't jump several times it doesn't represent her. At the same time you can't let any other ARMS character jump more than once because it's unique to her. That's just one example but all characters in ARMS have similair niches. Twintelle with her Bayo movement, Ninjara who can teleport, Mechanica that can fly... You just aren't making a single character with multiple alts without either making them 1) super generic or 2) not representing the character.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Damn so if it's ribbon girl or spring man it'd go a long way too revive hopes for a lot of disconfirmed but they also seem like the most boring of the bunch to me and would be triply represented if it's Spring Man with a costume /AT and character.
I don't see it being spring man. I personally would love DNA Man or Dr. Coyle.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for one of the more daring picks, but I'm expecting it to be Spring Man / Ribbon Girl with the assist trophy being replaced with Springtron.

WeroZero

Nov 22, 2017
How basic can someone be to prefer spring man over twintelle/minmin? /S

Jokes aside i really hope its Twintelle (or minmin)!!!

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
The fact that they distinctly pointed out that the mystery character has "extendable arms" and Twintelle's stand out feature being the only one in roster that doesn't is just more proof that they're trying to keep black characters out of Smash.

WeroZero

Nov 22, 2017
All the characters have extendable ARMS, the presenter was not referring to the bodypart, hes talking about their fighting ARMS, at least thats how i interpreted it, if you also add the peculiar way they announced the character, i think all of them have a chance.

I just really hope its not spring man 😅

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The fact that they distinctly pointed out that the mystery character has "extendable arms" and Twintelle's stand out feature being the only one in roster that doesn't is just more proof that they're trying to keep black characters out of Smash.
They refer to her hair as arms in-game, so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why some people are thinking it'll be one character with alts for most of the cast. Have you even played ARMS? All characters (except like Spring Man and Springtron) are fully unique. Sure if it was any other game I could've entertained the possibility, but Smash with Sakurai? Representing characters properly is big for him. If Ribbon Girl makes it but can't jump several times it doesn't represent her. At the same time you can't let any other ARMS character jump more than once because it's unique to her. That's just one example but all characters in ARMS have similair niches. Twintelle with her Bayo movement, Ninjara who can teleport, Mechanica that can fly... You just aren't making a single character with multiple alts without either making them 1) super generic or 2) not representing the character.
Sakurai comes up with moves on the spot, makes shit up and takes moves from other characters from the same series into one character moveset, and generalizes powerups into the move sets as well. Don't makeup rules.

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Sakurai comes up with moves on the spot, makes shit up and takes moves from other characters from the same series into one character moveset, and generalizes powerups into the movie sets as well. Don't makeup rules.
The ARMS themselves are interchangeable between every character, too. It's something.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Was I alone in immediately assuming it's going to be an 8 in 1 kind of deal? You know, Bowser Jr. style? The fact they chose not to actually tell us who it's going to be seemed to imply that, no?

Edit: I see now that I was not alone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The annoying thing is that since they didn't say who the character was, the next direct will spend all of its smash time on this character, meaning we'll need to wait even longer for more smash news.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I think Twintelle has probably the best design of the ARMS crew but honestly she doesn't really embody the essence of the game enough. It's ARMS, not HAIR.

Min Min has by far the worst design.

I'm fine with anyone in between those two.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
My heart hopes the character is Mechanica, but my mind knows that Twintelle, Min Min and Springman are all more likely.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Love that Nintendo is giving ARMS another push. It deserves it.

And it's still trending!

sO4XfKp.png

The power of Twintelle.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Smash DLC just gets more and more underwhelming for me. I'm happy for those who are stoked for this though. Here's hoping the second fighter's pass has some interesting characters, as the first was mostly a bust for me.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Joker takes like nothing from Persona 5, including his main gameplay gimmick in that game.

Hero uses spells some of his skins never get access to. Same with the Mother characters.

Byleth uses 4 weapons, despite never getting access to all 4 at the same time in the game. He also doesn't use Divine Pulse, his main in-game gimmick.

Sakurai would have no problem ignoring the individual gimmicks of ARMS characters if he wants to make a more generically representative moveset

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
From experience I've learned that announcements with Nintendo are very straightforward in the way they announce it. The announcement was referring to the character's arms literally, not metaphorically. Twintelle is out.

You're reading into it far too much.

Her hair is her arms. It's the same thing.

Remember, they chose Byleth.

You'll get Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt

Most likely. Though if that's the case, I wish they just said it now rather than letting fans speculate before announcing the most obvious/boring choice in three months.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
From experience I've learned that announcements with Nintendo are very straightforward in the way they announce it. The announcement was referring to the character's arms literally, not metaphorically. Twintelle is out.
And my point is that even in-game, they refer to Twintelle's hair as arms. Saying "hair" would be a dead giveaway on who the ARMS rep is.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
99.99 percent chance it's Spring Man
.01 percent chance it's Ribbon Girl
0 percent chance it's Min Min but that's who I want in there.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
99.99 percent chance it's Spring Man
.01 percent chance it's Ribbon Girl
0 percent chance it's Min Min but that's who I want in there.
On one hand, Spring Man's an Assist Trophy, & they would have just said Spring Man if it was him since he's the obvious pick. But then again, you could swap the AT for Springtron.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Since ARMS is a first party game, and an EPD one at that, there should no problem with other characters being represented as ALTs, right?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I want Twintelle SO badly, but the tagline said the fighter's "arms" can extend... Please be talking about her hair arms :(
It's gonna be Spring Man but its kind of funny that the most popular character from a game called ARMS is the only one that doesn't use their arms

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Just read a theory on twitter that it's actually the protag of ARMS 2 that they will announce in June.

That'd be funny.

edit:
Since ARMS is a first party game, and an EPD one at that, there should no problem with other characters being represented as ALTs, right?
It's not a rights question but a workload question.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
On one hand you are right. On the other hand Ganondorf/Captain Falcon

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't be Spring Man...

I like all their designs except him.