• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Elma,

You could argue that she's the biggest minority of them all, she's a literal one of a kind in the game.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kid Jammer looks seriously cool and reminds me of my suggestion of Skates from Streets of Rage in Smash Bros when we had this discussion in the Black culture community thread awhile back.

In 2018 there is no good excuses for the severe lack of representation for dark skin people. Nintendo sales games all over the world, not just Japan so being Japanese is no good excuse; there are like 50 different blondes in the game and the Japanese aren't naturally blonde.

The characters don't have to be main characters either because most of the smash roster were never main characters in their own game franchises.

And people should stop using Ganon as some example of representation; he's an evil pig dude. Ganon a good example of poor representation, if anything.
On the idea for PoC representation from existing franchises, sure, they don't necessarily have to be main characters. For example, we already have Link & Bayonetta, so branching out to Urbosa & Rodin (if he wasn't already an AT) makes sense. Where the argument becomes questionable is when you have a side character from a franchise whose main character isn't even playable, even if said side character does have popularity (see Twintelle).

This is where the point of Smash's lack of representation being more of a symptom of the real problem comes in. Nintendo has slowly improved, sure, but we need more new IPs with people of color as major characters (or better yet, as the main character). That's how you get real change regarding PoC representation in Smash.

Video games are gonna need their Black Panther moment before the effects can be felt industry-wide.
While I generally agree, that Black Panther moment would need to be coming out of Japan to increase the chances of Nintendo being impacted. Granted, such a step forward from a western company could still motivate Nintendo to follow suit, but it coming from Nintendo's home turf would increase those chances.

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MOD EDIT: Making jokes and comments about non-human characters being examples of black characters due to stereotypical features is both racist and dismissive of the issue of media representation. Any posts that cross this line will continue to be moderated appropriately.

Smash Ultimates full roster has been revealed (outside of DLC characters). And there is not one brown or black character in the base roster.

I realize that Nintendo doesn't exactly have a wide variety of diverse characters to choose from, especially compared to some of the other publishers. But I also think that this point is not as strong as it was say when Brawl had come out, or even Smash Wii U/3DS, a more recent title. There has been a marked uptick in diversity with recent Nintendo titles that is largely absent in Ultimate, ranging from titles like Botw, Fire Emblem (which has always had characters to pull from, even in older games), ARMS and more.

The inclusion of third-party characters also makes this a bigger issue. Because the game is no longer just pulling characters from Nintendo's history, but also series like Final Fantasy and Bayonetta.

I'm hoping the DLC characters rectify this a bit, but given the newcomers introduced in Ultimate, I'm not expecting much.

Including ONLY anthropomorphic cartoon characters with visible skin (this disqualifies a huge chunk of the roster), and discounting the fact that cartoons are not any race at all because they don't exist in the real world:

Non-White Characters:
  • Mario, Dr Mario and Luigi are explicitly Italian-American.
  • Little Mac is also, explicitly, Italian-American.
  • Ganondorf is Gerudo. While Gerudo are a fantasy race and not 1:1 with any real race, they are obviously non-White.
  • Ice Climbers are too "cartooned" to determine a race, but with their names, attire, and setting of their game, you can argue they are indigenous Americans
  • Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena are all divine characters based around the Mediterranean (i.e., Greek) and are not White.
  • Wario, though a native of the Mushroom Kingdom, is based on Mario and Mario is not White, therefore, Wario isn't White either.
  • Pokemon Trainer is from any region that is likely analogous to Japan. It's highly likely that this Pokemon Trainer is Japanese.
  • Ryu is straight up Japanese.
  • The inklings are alien squids.
Racially Ambiguous Characters:
  • Wii Fit Trainer is of ambiguous race because they are a mannequin. Given that Wii Fit was developed in Japan, you may assume Wii Fit Trainer is Japanese.
  • Although Zelda is a "White" Hyilian, Sheik is a transsex, transracial disguise. His inclusion as a separate character complicates matters. Draw your own conclusion there.
  • Daisy is from Sarasaland. Although she is White-passing, she is not from the hegemonic Mushroom Kingdom and could be considered a PoC. Consider: are Argentinians White? Are Uyghurs? No.
  • Olimar is a cartoon man from the fictional planet Hocotate and is 0.75 inches tall. No one but other Hocotaters know what race he is. He passes as White, I suppose, but Pikmin is a Japanese game so who knows.
  • Mii Fighter, Brawler, and Gunner are of ambiguous, player-decided race.

That leaves Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Young Link, Peach, Rosalina, Zero Suit Samus, the Fire Emblem cast (including these particular iterations of Corrin and Robin), Ness, Lucas, Snake, Villager, Mega-Man, Shulk, Ken, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, and Richter. I agree that's a lot of White, but 13 "definitely not white" and 7 "ambiguous race" characters is a categorical denial of "not one brown or black character in the base roster."

Bowling Pin

One Winged Slayer
Dec 9, 2017
Non-White Characters:
  • Ganondorf is Gerudo. While Gerudo are a fantasy race and not 1:1 with any real race, they are obviously non-White.
  • Ice Climbers are too "cartooned" to determine a race, but with their names, attire, and setting of their game, you can argue they are indigenous Americans
  • Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena are all divine characters based around the Mediterranean (i.e., Greek) and are not White.
  • Wario, though a native of the Mushroom Kingdom, is based on Mario and Mario is not White, therefore, Wario isn't White either.
  • Pokemon Trainer is from any region that is likely analogous to Japan. It's highly likely that this Pokemon Trainer is Japanese.
  • Wii Fit Trainer is of ambiguous race because they are a mannequin. Given that Wii Fit was developed in Japan, you may assume Wii Fit Trainer is Japanese.
  • Although Zelda is a "White" Hyilian, Sheik is a transsex, transracial disguise. His inclusion as a separate character complicates matters. Draw your own conclusion there.
  • Daisy is from Sarasaland. Although she is White-passing, she is not from the hegemonic Mushroom Kingdom and could be considered a PoC. Consider: are Argentinians White? Are Uyghurs? No.
  • Olimar is a cartoon man from the fictional planet Hocotate and is 0.75 inches tall. No one but other Hocotaters know what race he is. He passes as White, I suppose, but Pikmin is a Japanese game so who knows.

The thread thesis isn't "there are no non-Anglo Saxon characters in Smash." Its "there are no black or brown characters in Smash."

The argument can be made that Italians and Mediterranean peoples are white-passing but even if you're allowed that, no one is explicitly analogous to African/Middle Eastern/Latin derived peoples.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Including ONLY anthropomorphic cartoon characters with visible skin (this disqualifies a huge chunk of the roster), and discounting the fact that cartoons are not any race at all because they don't exist in the real world:

Non-White Characters:

That leaves Link, Zelda, Toon Link, Young Link, Peach, Rosalina, Zero Suit Samus, the Fire Emblem cast (including these particular iterations of Corrin and Robin), Ness, Lucas, Snake, Villager, Mega-Man, Shulk, Ken, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, and Richter. I agree that's a lot of White, but 13 "definitely not white" and 7 "ambiguous race" characters is a categorical denial of "not one brown or black character in the base roster."

Italians and Greeks are white, and that Daisy bit is really ridiculous, she looks white af. White =\=blonde.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that a lot of Nintendo properties and the 3rd parties they are pulling from aren't brown. And it speaks to a lack of diversity in video game representation

Oct 25, 2017
Snake ain't fucking asian lol
https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Clark's_assistant

Raven hints at it in MGS1,

originally Big Boss was part Japanese that was later retcon'd out

Final explanation is the eggs used were of the Japanese assistant of Paramedic .

Its Metal Gear,
this character is also half White, half Japanese
latest

Last edited:

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The thread thesis isn't "there are no non-Anglo Saxon characters in Smash." Its "there are no black or brown characters in Smash."

The argument can be made that Italians and Mediterranean peoples are white-passing but even if you're allowed that, no one is explicitly analogous to African/Middle Eastern/Latin derived peoples.

Ganondorf is Gerudo, which is clearly Middle East-inspired. Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, and Little Mac are explicitly Latin Americans. Also very weird to dismiss Japanese, Italian, and Greek poc characters because they're not "black or brown" enough for you or the OP. There are clearly "brown" characters in Smash.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
And you think Nintendo designed Mario, Link, and Samus to be Japanese?
I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life

But I have had, and will probably will have a variant form of this argument in the future. But the people who believe that link the european inspired elf boy who looks white , isn't supposed to be and shouldn't look different ever and has a totally defined personality. Will not budge because Nintendo wont call them out on it. They are not gonna budge.

Just warning you.

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Italians and Greeks are white, and that Daisy bit is really ridiculous, she looks white af. White =\=blonde.

Italians and Greeks are not White. It is for-realsies bigoted of you to think otherwise. Daisy has dark hair, dark eyes, and is from a country that is not part of the Mushroom Kingdom. She's whatever race Miyamoto wants her to be but she's clearly not the same race as Peach.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Italians and Greeks are not White. It is for-realsies bigoted of you to think otherwise. Daisy has dark hair, dark eyes, and is from a country that is not part of the Mushroom Kingdom. She's whatever race Miyamoto wants her to be but she's clearly not the same race as Peach.
Mediterranean people tend to be co-opted into a generic white umbrella depending on the context, particularly in regards to Muslim immigration into Europe. Part of why the white moniker is somewhat misguided in a more global setting.

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mediterranean people tend to be co-opted into a generic white umbrella depending on the context, particularly in regards to Muslim immigration into Europe. Part of why the white moniker is somewhat useless in a more global setting.

It's particularly useless in a fantasy cartoon setting where the Greeks in question are two cherubs and a goddess who don't exist outside of the context of beating up flying eyeballs.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's for realsies bigoted of you to count Greeks and Italians as representatives of PoC in this game. Daisy's hair is light brown and her eyes are blue, might want to check your eyes. She's obviously based on the white race. It doesn't really matter whether she's from the Mushroom Kingdom or not, that's completely irrelevant.

At this point I just think you're trolling tho.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's particularly useless in a fantasy cartoon setting where the Greeks in question are two cherubs and a goddess who don't exist outside of the context of beating up flying eyeballs.
I do think there's an argument to be made that Nintendo games seldom star characters with darker skin tones, regardless of whether Palutena and Pit being Greek or not is a valid discussion.

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's for realsies bigoted of you to count Greeks and Italians as representatives of PoC in this game. Daisy's hair is light brown and her eyes are blue, might want to check your eyes. She's obviously based on the white race. It doesn't really matter whether she's from the Mushroom Kingdom or not, that's completely irrelevant.

At this point I just think you're trolling tho.

Not sure how it is obvious that Daisy is based on the white race. If you're basing it entirely on her pigment and eyes, well...

And it is bigoted of you to want to erase PoC identities in order to win an argument on the internet.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
B. It points out that, hey, Twintelle is also a woman who gets to be both athletic AND feminine, which is rare.
i really hate this myth. how many non-feminine female characters are there in video games? like, zarya, and that's about it? let's stop this "~capable female characters can be feminine too uwu~" crap. we know. they almost always are.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
When are they gonna represent me as a Brazilian with a game and watch soccer player damnit

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You think all European countries are white?
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/person_of_color

I'm pretty sure the context it's stating that in should be apparent.

Europe is a big place, bud. Not everyone who lives there is white or even close, culturally or ethnically. You may as well say Shantae (who is definitely in as DLC) is white.
Which is why the first part is relevant.

It's already pointless when we're devolving into inane semantics. How about "white passing," as was suggested earlier? This is the usual tangent people like to go on in threads like these to totally sway away from the point of the subject.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
You know what to do Nintendo. Bring over Elma and Twintelle.

This is the single up-shot to Spring-Man being an AT. If Sakurai never comes around on upgrading AT's to playable during a DLC cycle, Twintelle's chances skyrocketed.

I would love to See Travis Touchdown in Smash, and they could easily have Shinobu join him, as she is also a protagonist from NMH.
1368096-consizz.jpg

Needless to say, I agree that PoC are seriously underrepresented in Smash. And as a Native Canadian, and as discussed in another topic today, this is the only (and very offensive) representation my people have in Smash Ultimate:
f9WxEsF.png

I love Travis, but screw it. Shinobu was supposedly meant to be the face of the series after NMH2, so let's just cut straight to what's important & add Shinobu.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
All but two of which are in this thread. Don't entertain this nonsense.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how European immigrants are interchangeably white or minorities, wonder which they will be considered when they try to get into the country clubs hmm

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I've learned on this page is that people can't agree on what falls under "white".

Not sure why that matters when that has nothing to do with the OP though.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I know I'm right

All those Italian immigrants who faced historical persecution and discrimination while living here, who knew they were actually white!

It's 2018 and implying the Italian American and a whole host of other Europeans who in the past were considered racially separate in the US are not considered white currently is literally disingenuous bullshit.

The OP is really damn clear about what he/she meant and this shit you're doing is not cute, it's transparent as fuck.

rumyhy

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I fully understand wanting more diversity and representation in video games, but Smash Bros is one of the most blatant corporate products ever and I feel like this kind of energy is more productive going towards creating new art from people who are really passionate about having more diversity in games instead of being really concerned with activism about your corporate products being woke enough

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
What significant major Nintendo franchise has a character of colour to choose from?

There are none in Nintendo across the board, period, certainly cannot think of an example that has missed out.

Nintendo does an awful lot of ambiguous white/asian characters, intentionally, which is connected to its background as a Japanese studio and the mores of JP and the commercial importance of cross appeal to JP and Caucasian players. If you think about how black people are seen in Japanese society it probably explains a lot.

Otherwise it does not engage in proactively representing minorities, ever. Just not its corporate policy plus underlying Japanese treatment of black people.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a legitimate criticism to have about the game.

I don't agree with putting in side characters over main characters just for diversity and representation.

I do agree that Nintendo needs to make more series staring minorities so we can get more diversity and representation in Smash (and Nintendo and gaming as a whole) that way.

Pirarucu

Oct 27, 2017
To all the people saying this is just a gaffe, an unintentional omission, remember that Shantae, M. Bison, Twintelle, and many more PoC characters were consciously passed over, in favor of two washed up, white or white-coded has-beens from Castlevania that literally wield whips. You can't make this stuff up. Nintendo, where is the representation?

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2018 and implying the Italian American and a whole host of other Europeans who in the past were considered racially separate in the US are not considered white currently is literally disingenuous bullshit.

I guess if by Italian Americans you mean people named Tony with Brooklyn accents and by the whole host of other Europeans you mean the UK, France, and Germany, then yes europeans are considered white

Pacouranga

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know I'm right

The OP is really damn clear about what he/she meant and this shit you're doing is not cute, it's transparent as fuck.

Accusing the game of having "no black or brown characters" and categorizing all light-skinned characters as White (like actually Anglo or Northern European) while none of the PoC or even literally just brown characters are black or brown enough for you, is transparently weird and the mental gymnastics you'd have to go through to make it work out are mind-boggling.

rumyhy

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
To all the people saying this is just a gaffe, an unintentional omission, remember that Shantae, M. Bison, Twintelle, and many more PoC characters were consciously passed over, in favor of two washed up, white or white-coded has-beens from Castlevania that literally wield whips. You can't make this stuff up. Nintendo, where is the representation?

you do not seem to be the audience for this game