• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Can we keep DLC talk for other threads?

That DLC pack is so horrible, I would prefer to discuss stuff actually in the game. I mean, it's a datamine thread.
It's mainly DLC talk with regards to what we learned from the datamining (MH's unique grouping, no post-launch Splatoon 2 tracks, etc.).

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
If we're talking about FS transformations becoming bosses, let me be the first to say I hope we get to put Giga Mac out of his misery.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Re: the Splatoon 2 thing, I don't think "no music added after launch = DLC character" tracks. They just didn't think any of the post-launch music was iconic enough to be added in Smash. Or they just plum forgot.

There would be no point in making an Octoling playable character anyway. They'd be functionally identical to the Inklings.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping that the Minecraft thing is just a miscommunication or some kind of fake intended to catch a leaker. The possibility of Steve being in the pass is keeping me from buying it. I'm just glad at this point that the Xenoblade 2 music seems to be in the base game, I can live without the Rex mii outfit.
I don't think this "character" will be in, but I will certainly not buy any pass I don't know the characters. No way I'm ever risking paying for that.

I mean it didnt stop them from putting in Red
But Red's design is iconic. Also, Sakurai always says the bar for Nintendo characters is completely different from guests.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, they 100% have no personality. The player character in World was a dead-eyed mannequin.
Sad to hear that. The ones in previous generations emote a lot, particularly when doing menial stuff like finding supplies and healing. They are actually very wacky whenever they are not killing monsters --there's a reason why the BBQ spit is a mainstay in the series.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I see. I haven't seen too much of the Unova League stage, would Zekrom or Reshiram also work in that way?

But yeah, I think Mega Mewtwo Y (in that Mewtwo is sorta the "antagonistic" Pokemon) or recycling Mega Charizard X make more sense. Mega Lucario is also there but... Lucario comes off too heroic lol.

What if we get Shadow Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo X? Highly unlikely imo, but it's a thing still.
Yeah, Zekrom/Reshiram could theoretically work too, that stage works the same way as Spear Pillar, with the legend in the bg attacking the stage. I think the Megas are more likely, though, if there is one. Just less work to implement.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Re: the Splatoon 2 thing, I don't think "no music added after launch = DLC character" tracks. They just didn't think any of the post-launch music was iconic enough to be added in Smash. Or they just plum forgot.

There would be no point in making an Octoling playable character anyway. They'd be functionally identical to the Inklings.
Some of the post-launch Splatoon 2 tracks are amazing, especially Off the Hook's tracks for the Octo Expansion.

Also, there are enough weapons missing from the Inklings to set the Octolings apart.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Sad to hear that. The ones in previous generations emote a lot, particularly when doing menial stuff like finding supplies and healing. They are actually very wacky whenever they are not killing monsters --there's a reason why the BBQ spit is a mainstay in the series.
Doing exaggerated motions in place of emoting =/= personality.

Jan 9, 2018

Sick! I'm happy if it does return, probably my favourite boss back when I played Subspace as a kid. It blew my mind seeing Rayquaza there.

Anyways, nothing there about a Mega or Dragon Ascent so not exactly what I wanted, but what I can tell is it's listed around the words "Kalos," "Dragon Pulse," "Axew," and "Garchomp," which is not much at all to really speculate with lol. But that "Jaw," "Bust," "Hip," and "Tail," were listed definitely makes me feel like that could be hurt boxes for Rayquaza but...I also don't know anything about programming and stuff, so I don't know what's going on there anyways lol.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, I wonder if any of the Smash Run enemies could be reused for boss fights

Bulborb boss fight, anyone?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You could say the same for Isabelle, yet here we are. Octolings have a lot more they could do, you have brellas and dualies which aren't in the default inkling's kit, plus Inkjet for up B, maybe Baller/Bubbles/tentamissiles/booyahbomb, or autobombs/torpedoes. Lots of stuff that would make for a real good semiclone, which isn't that out of the realm of possibility.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also, there are enough weapons missing from the Inklings to set the Octolings apart.

But you know damn well that if they made an Octoling character, it would be a clone like Isabelle and Lucas. They're not unique enough to justify a fully unique moveset. And they can't get away with charging for a clone.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Disagree. If that were the case, then we have to conclue that Link has no personality. Body language is as important as dialogue in conveying someone's personality.
Link has personality because those actions are Link's and no one else's.

Every player Hunter in Monster Hunter shares animations because they're just the same template copied and pasted over and over.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You could say the same for Isabelle, yet here we are. Octolings have a lot more they could do, you have brellas and dualies which aren't in the default inkling's kit, plus Inkjet for up B, maybe Baller/Bubbles/tentamissiles/booyahbomb, or autobombs/torpedoes. Lots of stuff that would make for a real good semiclone, which isn't that out of the realm of possibility.
The Inklings are also missing the Splat Charger & the Heavy Splatling. Also, I'm not sure if they'd have any super weapons as regular special moves (Ex: Inkjet, Baller).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Vergeben has been saying there would be Minecraft content in Smash since June, long before Nintendo and Sakurai made the DLC roster plans. If that piece of information was legitimate I probably would have heard about it over the summer. It sounds to me like Vergeben is pivoting to the Minecraft content being DLC to save face for bad intel.

(I'm not saying Minecraft DLC is an impossibility -- I just don't think Vergeben actually knows anything about the DLC.)

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octolings would have dual pistols and Splatoon 2 stuff. Also, Lucas has so many different moves from Ness it's weird to call him a clone. Octolings would probably be similar to him.

Vergeben has been saying there would be Minecraft content in Smash since June, long before Nintendo and Sakurai made the DLC roster plans. If that piece of information was legitimate I probably would have heard about it over the summer. It sounds to me like Vergeben is pivoting to the possibility of Minecraft DLC to save face for bad intel.

(I'm not saying Minecraft DLC is an impossibility -- I just don't think Vergeben actually knows anything about the DLC.)
Agreed. No other insider ever hinted at this. It's better to just ignore and assume we know nothing, leaks don't happen at an executive level like this.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from Bulborb and Polar Bear, you could probably make decent bosses out of Darknut and Reaper.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But you know damn well that if they made an Octoling character, it would be a clone like Isabelle and Lucas. They're not unique enough to justify a fully unique moveset. And they can't get away with charging for a clone.

Octoling could be a Daisy level echo and I'd still buy it only for the music.

Thankfully Splatoon 2 introduced plenty of weapons and abilities to make them stand out.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The steve hate seems really overblown here. Would it really be that bad to have a character that represents the new young gaming audience?

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Sick! I'm happy if it does return, probably my favourite boss back when I played Subspace as a kid. It blew my mind seeing Rayquaza there.

Anyways, nothing there about a Mega or Dragon Ascent so not exactly what I wanted, but what I can tell is it's listed around the words "Kalos," "Dragon Pulse," "Axew," and "Garchomp," which is not much at all to really speculate with lol. But that "Jaw," "Bust," "Hip," and "Tail," were listed definitely makes me feel like that could be hurt boxes for Rayquaza but...I also don't know anything about programming and stuff, so I don't know what's going on there anyways lol.
Oh, Rayquaza is in the Kalos League stage for the Dragon room.

That's probably what that is, probably not a boss then.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let me ask you this.

What kind of music would he even bring to the table?

He is such a poor fit.

Personally I like minecraft's music. It has a lot of it and its slow and happy and reminds me of animal crossing music a little. I'm sure the remixes could be fun ;p

They've proven to be very talented at smash remixes :P