• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
However broken anyone is in the base roster, the DLC characters will be more broken than them in order to incentivize us to buy them.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Doomguy just wouldn't work because of guns. You can't even make his guns seem more fantastical outside the bfg. Plus you need the chainsaw.

You can make it work. A chainsaw works just like a sword. Bayonetta uses nearly realistic guns. Doom already has plasma weapons. Doom Eternal has been promoting its new grappling hook a lot.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Doomguy just wouldn't work because of guns. You can't even make his guns seem more fantastical outside the bfg. Plus you need the chainsaw.

He still has a decent arsenal

-Rocket launcher
-Shotgun (close range blast, doesn't necessarily have to appear to be firing a bullet)
-Heavy assault rifle (micro missiles mod)
-Plasma rifle
-Plasma pistol
-Gauss Cannon
-BFG
-Chainsaw
-Crucible sword
-Various rip and tear melee attacks

Would be perfectly fine for Smash imo

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious:

tumblr_piyngqXBFJ1skczru_540.png
001.jpg

I kinda wonder how they'll handle the fights for stuff like the Mario Karts and Whispy Woods, if almost every Spirit has a fight

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If we get an FPS rep, I'd rather get Joanna Dark. Microsoft has said they're willing to play ball. She's closely tied to Nintendo and it would be great to have a Rare rep. Throw in some remote mines or slappers into her moveset to reference Goldeneye, too.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Are there online modes where you can play with Spirits or is it strictly for the single player mode?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If we get an FPS rep, I'd rather get Joanna Dark. Microsoft has said they're willing to play ball. She's closely tied to Nintendo and it would be great to have a Rare rep. Throw in some remote mines or slappers into her moveset to reference Goldeneye, too.

If they get Microsoft on board, Banjo Kazooie has to be first. And if we're specifically going for a Microsoft FPS rep, you might as well go all the way and get Master Chief.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy would be awesome and would work, but that's so far out of Nintendo's main wheelhouse... Snake is violent but he's not hyperviolent.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 on 3, a shared FSM, a way to change your character on the middle of the match and the character changed be healed a little. Would be a good way to create some conditions for a new competitive segment, or the only viable way to incorporate FSM is with the command input?

The mode on its own is good enough for a competitive standpoint. It's essentially King of Fighters at the 3 v 3.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Meta Knight and Pikachu plus characters with warp like Palutena and Zelda then K Rool are characters that I think have the best recoveries.
Oh, right! I had forgotten some of those. Brawl was the last one I played in depth, so I have much to discover.

Thanks for the answer, this week is going to be so long!

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Every track from 64 seems to be back, besides the opening theme. That includes the How to Play song, Menu theme, Character Select theme, Bonus Game theme, Dual Zone, Meta Crystal and Final Destination themes.

Oh shit oh shit, YES. Any idea where it can be played in the game??
And did the Training Mode music from 64 make it in as well?

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody at a video game club I go to had the game, I couldn't help but play through classic mode with some characters... (but I did not touch adventure mode)

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
The Training Mode theme is in too, I missed that one. I don't know where that track would be played in game though. Possibly the menu or training stage (if you can set music for the latter)?

Oh shit oh shit, YES. Any idea where it can be played in the game??
And did the Training Mode music from 64 make it in as well?

Smash 64's themes are only on anything Smash related. So FD/Battlefield/Big BF.

Training Mode is literally just the stage select screen with an additional training stage instead of random, with the addition of the Ultimate training music available on all stages.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Smash 64's themes are only on anything Smash related. So FD/Battlefield/Big BF.

Training Mode is literally just the stage select screen with an additional training stage instead of random, with the addition of the Ultimate training music available on all stages.
I would assume that the Smash 64 menu and character select themes would be options for the menu, right? They wouldn't really fit on any stages.

From what i've seen, the ability to change music on the menu is unlockable in Ultimate. Do you know what unlocks it?

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume that the Smash 64 menu and character select themes would be options for the menu, right? They wouldn't really fit on any stages.

From what i've seen, the ability to change music on the menu is unlockable in Ultimate. Do you know what unlocks it?
Character select I know for sure is on menu. Menu, no, but I'm not sure if it's due to my hacked save or not. I don't know what the unlock requirements are.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy has plenty of fantastical guns. The plasma gun is one of his most famous, but he also has the gauss canon, rocket launcher, etc. The rocket launcher could even be used as a triple jump recovery. Also, chainsaw for smash attacks (no more violent than Corrin's sword).

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
Just do it like Chris Redfield in MvC3 where it's a comic book-style burst resembling a short-range explosion with no visible bullets.
yah i'm sure there's ways to go around that. i honestly think the number of characters who actually couldn't be in the game because of guns/violence is tiny, outside of games where there's like, no cartoonish elements at all to 'counter' the hyper-realistic violence.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy could definitely work, and would be incredibly deserving. Also rather unique - I picture him being able to run and gun like Mega Man while switching seamlessly between a variety of weapons, true to the spirit of his games.

Question is, would he be named Doomguy, Doom Marine or Doom Slayer?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy could definitely work, and would be incredibly deserving. Also rather unique - I picture him being able to run and gun like Mega Man while switching seamlessly between a variety of weapons, true to the spirit of his games.

They're gonna dig in all the adaptations and find something amazing and unfitting, like John.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

"Doomguy" fits the Nintendo spirit better. He would seem slightly less out of place as Doomguy, the 90's over-the-top action hero, than he would as Doom Slayer, the modern violent blood and gore shooter.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Stop saying the word broken to describe any above average move. I'm tired of hearing this in the smash community.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

What I love about this is the multiple meta-humour in this. First you've got Snake in one of Naked Snake's (aka Big Boss, aka Solid Snake's father) camo uniforms in MGS3, hence reference to "father". Second, the telephone/codec is how you save in both Earthbound and MGS respectively.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
3 on 3, a shared FSM, a way to change your character on the middle of the match and the character changed be healed a little. Would be a good way to create some conditions for a new competitive segment, or the only viable way to incorporate FSM is with the command input?
No changing, keep it as it is KoF style and a shared FSM and it's perfect. Damn I didn't know this mode was in Smash. 3v3 would definitely work in a competitive setting.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
This is what im talking about. Talking about characters getting banned BEFORE THE GAME IS EVEN OUT.
hey we've had like a week of play time that's more then enough to tell everything about everyone and that's why tier lists are changing wildly by the day and the person making them

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since the OST leaked, but the tool for .lopus playback & conversion (vgmstream) got updated with a better audio decoder. The improvement in audio quality ranges from subtle to significant.
All Smash Ultimate OST MP3s/FLACs/videos etc. before today are now obsolete, as they were converted using the older decoder.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
"Doomguy" fits the Nintendo spirit better. He would seem slightly less out of place as Doomguy, the 90's over-the-top action hero, than he would as Doom Slayer, the modern violent blood and gore shooter.
Would probably be named Doom Marine and have either both his modern design and classic 90s design or just his old 90s design. For instance both Pac-Man and Megaman are based on their older forms, though I guess Sonic is oddly only modern style, even though we have Sonic Generations and Forces and Mania all with classic chubby pointy shoes Sonic. Cloud has 2 designs in his alts as do Wario and Bayonetta.

I agree old Doomguy would fit better. Would love to see how he'd look in Smash Ultimate's aesthetic!