• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Smash is by far the worst in this respect because of the engrained "community-elected bans" mentality.
what exactly are you referring to? the sensible collective agreement to avoid stages with hazards and unbalanced layouts? or that one time when the competitive Brawl community deliberated banning Meta Knight for four years before actually going through with it, because Meta Knight's mechanical dominance literally single-handedly dictated how every single competitive Brawl player had to approach the game?

there is no 'community-elected ban mentality'. the community despises character bans and would rather work out ways to improve play in general to counter characters who are seen as 'god tier' for any length of time. It took four years for TOs to agree that Meta Knight was a negative presence in competitive Brawl and even then, despite Meta Knight dominating over nearly every tournament to the extent that overcoming the MK matchup was a flat-out prerequisite to competitive play, the decision was still insanely contentious.

Last edited:

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
It's really frustrating and I partially blame ZeRo and his hyperbole/humor. His Ultimate videos have been overwhelmingly callings things broken, and while I don't think he's being legitimate, I do think some of his viewers take him seriously.

The only character he's somewhat called broken is Pikachu. Calling specific moves broken doesn't mean a whole lot when the characters with them he doesn't think are too OP.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No, I mean that it has the potential to entirely replace normal matches. People who only want to play as one character can still do so, but they face opponents who have the option to choose different characters for each stock.
Ohhh I see what you mean, yeah that'd be very interesting and would spice things up a good deal.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Smash community asking for day negative 7 nerfs. Never change.
No one is actually asking for this, it's either a joke (Captain Zach) or is just pointing out a very strong strat, which could as the game develops become over used and lead to degenerative play. We don't even know at this point how much that particular strat affects all characters, how much it can be DIed, how it is affected by rage, etc
was it like that with Smash 4? I mean, I remember balance being a very big topic of discussion before Smash 4 came out but like Nintendo advertised that shit with a tournament so that's not very surprising
Smash 4 had people asking for vectoring to be removed before the 3ds version came out and it was fixed and brought in line with the more established and less buggy system of DI before the Wii u version came out. Which was good since some of the stuff you could do with it was really dumb

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I'm hearing that Olimar is back to being good? What buffs were added?

Would love to bring my brawl main back

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm hearing that Olimar is back to being good? What buffs were added?

Would love to bring my brawl main back
He has significantly less recovery on his Smashes and can use them as quickly as some tilts. They also fixed Pikmin priority on his aerials so he can at least attempt to challenge moves.

Otherwise it's mostly engine changes like less lag and better movement which will help and him not getting any nerfs like keeping his throw combos (according to Shokio) and being one of the few characters or maybe the only character in the game with magnet hands or at least on of them.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He has significantly less recovery on his Smashes and can use them as quickly as some tilts. They also fixed Pikmin priority on his aerials so he can at least attempt to challenge moves.

Otherwise it's mostly engine changes like less lag and better movement which will help and him not getting any nerfs like keeping his throw combos (according to Shokio) and being one of the few characters or maybe the only character in the game with magnet hands or at least on of them.
Thank you!

Magnet hands?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you!

Magnet hands?
Essentially if the game thinks you're close to ledge then it will let your character grab it. Smash 4 was insanely forgiving with it and that with the powerful airdodges meant that edgeguarding was not that optimal in Smash 4. Ultimate made ledge grabbing alot more stricter for a majority of the cast except for Olimar which you can see in this video at around 4:58 to see what I mean.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Essentially if the game thinks you're close to ledge then it will let your character grab it. Smash 4 was insanely forgiving with it and that with the powerful airdodges meant that edgeguarding was not that optimal in Smash 4. Ultimate made ledge grabbing alot more stricter for a majority of the cast except for Olimar which you can see in this video at around 4:58 to see what I mean.

Hmm interesting, but a bunch look forgiving to me

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
A skin wouldn't be able to change Sonic's proportions. Smash Sonic although using the modern design and voice always had animation based on the 2d games anyway.
I definitely underestimated in my head just how different the proportions were, even when scaled up to be the same height. Still, I think they could have kind of make a classic looking skin that was only a slightly different model, bt maybe it would look too funny. Oh well, they're pretty similar anyway, at least the didn't include Sonic Boom.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

If that footage was suppose to convince me that the ledges aren't just big ol' magnets in Ultimate, it doesn't. They seem pretty forgiving to me.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if the Koopalings still have the Bowser Jr. emblem on their forks.
I know you asked this awhile ago, but I finally found footage that answered it
5wkKIIY.png

They still have Jr's emblem on their forks

Oct 25, 2017

Holy fuck at the AI. B reversing, doing C4 jumps, teching, 200IQ edgeguarding, Dash Dancing, Perfect Shielding

you want smash to play more like melee? fuck you, here's AI that plays like a Melee NEET, never ask me for anything again

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been away from Ultimate leaks for about 2 days worth of time, and the first thing I see is a new up-air string from Meta Knight. Why am I not surprised? It's always up-airs with this blue puff.

By the way, are we getting actual real matches now? Sign me the fuck in!

Holy fuck at the AI. B reversing, doing C4 jumps, teching, 200IQ edgeguarding, Dash Dancing, Perfect Shielding

you want smash to play more like melee? fuck you, here's AI that plays like a Melee NEET, never ask me for anything again

THIS WAS A CPU MATCH?! I just clicked the link thinking it was a player match without reading your post, and I thought I was watching some sick plays from real players and the comeback of the century! "Oh, this game's gonna be good!" I thought. I read the first comment, and I look back at the video to see grey icons, and I'm like... Holy shit... The AI is actually good at Smash for once. Feels like the AI is teaching me new tech, which I haven't felt since Melee.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Max's Boss Rage will be glorious if this is anything to go by to how hard is the classic at maximum difficult will be

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I wish the AI would do is taunt more. Level 9 CPUs didn't taunt at all in Smash 4.

EDIT: Battle of the Links

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Holy shit! What a match!

I used to practice on Level 9s in Smash 4 to learn characters. I don't know if I'll be able to win those kinds of practice matches in this game!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So in that CPU battle, did Snake somehow blow himself up with a grenade below the stage to give himself a boost?

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So in that CPU battle, did Snake somehow blow himself up with a grenade below the stage to give himself a boost?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the same technique in Brawl. His down special puts down a mine and pressing it again detonates it. People would do this in the air to refresh his recovery.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the same technique in Brawl. His down special puts down a mine and pressing it again detonates it. People would do this in the air to refresh his recovery.
What's crazy is how the CPU is even programmed to do that.

It also did perfect shield -> up-smash and perfect shield -> up-tilt. That's just insane.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re: the level 9 CPU playing more like an actual high-level player instead of a button-reading frame-perfect cheater. i get the feeling in general that smash ultimate is the first time the smash devs have really watched and studied competitive smash play and incorporated it into their game design. like competitive smash existed when brawl and smash 4 came out, obviously, but it feels like the past few years it finally got big enough to get noticed by sakurai and friends. the rise of streaming/twitch/etc., EVO getting huge and including smash, and so on all probably contributed to that. bandai namco actually having fighting game development experience (unlike HAL and the hodgepodge team assembled for brawl) surely helps as well.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

One of the best Smash Ultimate matches I've seen thus far. Can't believe those were CPUs!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited for these countdowns with the 10 day one having an actual animation of the Cappy possessed 10 and Mario jumping into his banner position so I'm kinda sad they didn't keep that going lol