• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: off-topic derailing
No matter what people try to say, smash 5 (aka ultimate) is awesome!

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
This is kinda disappointing but I think I will get used to it. That said I did lose about 10 matches in a row online yesterday playing Shiek...I feel like she suffers more than most.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew something didn't feel right while trying to jump back up to the stage after being knocked off.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I immediately knew something was off when I played with the GCN controller.

But I flipped to the Pro a few hours later and didn't notice as much. Must have just been getting more used to it.

Sucks.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Most games nowadays won't ever be Melee's input latency lol. It's high here, don't get me wrong but that's an unrealistic expectation.
You're objectively wrong. There are other fighting games out there that drop input lag to low levels.

There is no good reason that I can see that input lag should ever be that high. Period.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's a shame, but I can make deal with it since I mostly main heavies. I don't think it'll cripple the competitive scene, but I wonder why we didn't see any pro players commenting on it beforehand. Was this latency not in the earlier builds?

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Might this be result of essentially using the USB-C port as HDMI out? I could imagine that this introduces more latency which is a shame

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ive noticed a slight difference as someone who has been playing Project M and went to Ultimate, but I've also got the distinct feeling that a lot of people are rationalizing differences in feel resultant from changes made elsewhere as being caused by input latency. Specifically, the changes to how knockback works, the changes to how jumps work, and the presence of a lot of input buffering throughout the game. (not to mention the general unreliability of wireless Joy-Con and how easily the Switch fails to pick up inputs made on Joy-Con on time or at all due to distance or minor obstructions.) If you're playing casually and coming from Brawl or Smash 4, then this increase in input latency, regrettable though it is, definitely shouldn't be so noticible that it defines the experience for you.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I use an adapter to allow me to play with a WiiU pro controller and I definitely noticed something strange with the input. And I don't think it's the adapter because I feel it even with the joycons

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
If it was a real problem, many people would have complained before (competitive fellas included).
What kind of bullshit is this? The game literally just came out and people are saying that it feels sluggish or awkward, competitive players included. So you're saying that because people didn't complain enough in the pre-release, it's invalid?

You really want to avoid discussing the problem.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
It did feel a bit weird when I first started playing, but I've pretty much gotten used to it by now. But I'm no competitive player.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The input buffering is what I'm imagining is the ACTUAL root cause behind the opinion shared by many here that Ult feels noticibly different

yep. The extra 40 or so ms are probably not what most people are noticing, but rather the lengthy input buffer from certain character states like dodging, dashing or being in hitstun

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of bullshit is this? The game literally just came out and people are saying that it feels sluggish or awkward, competitive players included. So you're saying that because people didn't complain enough in the pre-release, it's invalid?

You really want to avoid discussing the problem.

Well, some people already said that it may be a hardware problem not the game's fault. And by any means it's not unplayable.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it was a real problem, many people would have complained before (competitive fellas included).

Not admitting anything because that's your assumption only.
People are complaining and have been. The game has been out for 3 days now so people probably didnt know if it was the new engine or actual input. We now know it's the actual input. Coming in here to dismiss this because you like the game and dont like mean things being said about it isnt at all on topic or related to the discussion.

Well, some people already said that it may be a hardware problem not the game's fault. And by any means it's not unplayable.
Who in here said its unplayable? Are we only allowed to discuss matters like this when a game is unplayable? That's absurd.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it on pro controller but not on handheld. It's the first fighting game that I actually felt off

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

its largely intentional programming. Try dashing one direction and another right after and it will do the backwards dash half a second later. Alternatively try spot dodging and then input anything during the dodge and it will come out.

The input lag, input buffering, and questionable netcode are all compounding and make online play really clumsy.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its largely intentional programming. Try dashing one direction and another right after and it will do the backwards dash half a second later. Alternatively try spot dodging and then input anything during the dodge and it will come out.

The input lag, input buffering, and questionable netcode are all compounding and make online play really clumsy.

I see, so it can patched? Haven't played online yet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't notice it at all. The game feels really good to me and I couldn't even tell when I tried really focusing on it in training mode. Hopefully we see some improvements as the game continues to be patched, but I'm not holding my breath.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the movement in particular that I can feel it the most, it's quite jarring on some of the faster characters, to me.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was some stuff that felt off, especially short hop fast falling in the beginning. I raised my stick sensitivity to high though and it helped a lot. This may explain where that kind of sluggish fee came from, but with that adjustment and just continuing to play I'm pretty used to it now.

It is a little worrisome considering that this is the fastest Smash gameplay since Melee, so it might hamper high execution quick fingered players in the long run.

flare

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely noticed this playing through classic mode. It seems to be particularly noticeable when spot dodging multiple times or side to side, even dashing left and right and attacking. I've definitely felt it more playing on the pro controller.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's pretty bad, but lots of fighters are shipping with high input lag this gen. Hopefully it gets patched.

I'm a Smash newbie. How reactions heavy is the game?

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There have been complaints since the leak dropped.
Leffen was looking into how the game handles buffering which is interesting
Interesting to note that C-stick does a direction+attack like a macro for arials which changes the momentum
Wasn't this a thing with 4 too? I hated that stupid nonsense and there's no reason for this to be a thing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Hmm, It must be somewhat bad because I feeling like I actually notice it, and I almost never notice these things. Especially when using the right stick on my pro, it feels like the input either doesnt register sometimes or theres a notable lag. Really strange.

With the right stick, you have to let it fully return to neutral before you can use it again. That's not input lag, just an odd design choice.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bad, but lots of fighters are shipping with high input lag this gen. Hopefully it gets patched.

I'm a Smash newbie. How reactions heavy is the game?

Extremely, but ledge guarding allows you to go with a somewhat predictable meta strat.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, been playing with the Pro Controller exclusively on a monitor and hadn't really noticed. Game plays great, no issues.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game did feel harder for me than past games used to be, I figured the AI got faster or better.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
As a competitive player its really been hampering my ability to move and react quickly in battles

Its also been really fucking up my jumps and various other inputs. Its going to take some serious adjustments for me to be as effective as I was in previous games

Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly everyone feels weird when they play it now
??
I can't tell if the timing of moves is different or startup animations are longer, but I feel like there's input lag with the joycons. Moves I felt I could easily connect in the air before are ever so off in this
Also, it might just be me, but joycons wireless have very noticeable input lag. Maybe I should send mine in or something, because I love the game modes, but it just doesn't feel responsive with this lag. I guess I never noticed because no other game called for this level of control and the fighting games I've played (DBFZ) had combos so it wasn't as noticeable I guess

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair first night I played it was with the gamecube controller via third party adapter on friend's TV and it did feel off.

Next day played on my monitor with pro controller and it felt much more responsive to me. I guess the TV has delay and I'm experiencing a place on effect. Ah well, good thing I'm not going competitive with this game because I prefer the pro controller.