• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can we talk about how Battle Arenas basically break with more than 4 people?

Cuz that really puts a damper on wanting to play, when I have to wait in line and be completely unable to change my character or stage.

Nintendo should really fix this. It's ridiculous.

How am I supposed to play this game reliably with my brother unless I can find 2 other players who will stick with the same battle arena?

Not to mention you also can't even reliably select your teams unless the other players know what your intentions are.

Battle Arenas aren't a bad idea, they're just executed terribly and with some of the worst quality of life options I've ever seen.

I found out after the fact I had to move to the end of the line in this one arena I spent a few mins waiting in cuz I had the audacity of CHANGING MY CHARACTER'S FUCKING COLOR!!!!!

That is seriously sooooooo not cool.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
They make up one of the largest populations of the smash community. Should have worded it better.

And no that's not true because if theres even 10 or so people in closer proximity and solid connections who want free for all that's what im getting. This argument is fallicious because you're speculating on how this system is searching for matches and how many people in my area are looking for different matches to suggest it isnt a popular choice. And even if that's the case, again, no one should be forced to play any mode they do not want to play. Even if it was only a 10% chance, or a 1% chance. You should get your mode 100% of the time when you select it.

Which is so fucking weird. You would think that it's the competitive people being dicks or elitist but so often it's always the casual players who are trying to dictate how the other group plays. It very easily can cater to both audiences. Like almost every mp game does. There should not be this level of animosity between these groups.

The reason it feels that way to you is because your definition of Smash is way narrower than most people's. It's 1V1 no items, final destination, and everything else is a "waste of time". Nobody is dictating how you should play. I just find that a system that allows us to play the way we want at all, is better than a system that allows one segment of the population (that is not the majority), to play the way they want to at all times.

I agree these should not be mutually exclusive. For Glory can and should return as a compliment to these other game modes.

As you assert, more options is better, not worse. Which is why this system is superior, even if it currently comes at the expense of you getting what you want all the time.

In the meantime, I highly suggest using the Battle Arenas. It's very easy to create the exact conditions you want and find players interested in playing that way. It just means sometimes waiting your turn to play, which is exactly what you're arguing for. Letting everyone play the exact mode they want, even if it means long matchmaking times.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Smash Bros evolves to that level, fine. But it's not there. Competitive is niche. It's cool and all, but it's not what the game is made for. A dedicated mode for 1v1 every time online? That's a fine request. But to be like, "Gosh how hard is it to have a 1v1 on only final destination and battlefield stages and also a handful of other stages the competitive community has deemed acceptable with a variation of the stage hazards turned on?????" That seems silly.
That's a perfectly normal request that isnt outlandish at all. The leg work has already been done to filter it for Nintendo anyway so what's the issue here? How does having this detract from a casual experience?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The Street Fighter II Collection netcode on Switch was also absolutely ATROCIOUS, so this doesn't surprise me. The single "fighting game" that I was able to get excellent online gameplay on Switch was Ultra Street Fighter II. And yes, it was atrocious even after getting directly connected via an USB ethernet adapter.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Can we talk about how Battle Arenas basically break with more than 4 people?

Cuz that really puts a damper on wanting to play, when I have to wait in line and be completely unable to change my character or stage.

Nintendo should really fix this. It's ridiculous.

How am I supposed to play this game reliably with my brother unless I can find 2 other players who will stick with the same battle arena?

Not to mention you also can't even reliably select your teams unless the other players know what your intentions are.

Battle Arenas aren't a bad idea, they're just executed terribly and with some of the worst quality of life options I've ever seen.

I found out after the fact I had to move to the end of the line in this one arena I spent a few mins waiting in cuz I had the audacity of CHANGING MY CHARACTER'S FUCKING COLOR!!!!!

That is seriously sooooooo not cool.

Then create a battle arena yourself, set it to max 4 people and have your brother join you. I've been playing everyday with my cousin since release and randoms cycle in and out and we keep playing and never have to sit out.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
That's a perfectly normal request that isnt outlandish at all. The leg work has already been done to filter it for Nintendo anyway so what's the issue here? How does having this detract from a casual experience?
I never said it did. But getting upset that a casually focused game doesn't have specific features for a competitive crowd is silly. It's not what the game is, as convenient as it would be. It is what it is.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly am debating making a thread about this because i cant for the life of me think of another franchise this big where theres such a disconnect between a director and large subsection of the player population as smash has.
You can't be serious with this. Smash Bros. Ultimate's online failings have very little to do with Sakurai as a director. Smash is made to appeal to as many people as possible, and no matter how popular competitive Smash might be, that doesn't mean he's going to pigeon-hole himself into the demands of what still isn't exactly a majority of the audience. Ultimate has already made a bunch of advancements for the benefit of competitive 1v1s, and to continue singling out Sakurai as the problem of the series is an axe that's very much not worthy the grind.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never said it did. But getting upset that a casually focused game doesn't have specific features for a competitive crowd is silly. It's not what the game is, as convenient as it would be. It is what it is.

The game should do a better job at catering to all crowds. If I search for FFA and get thrown into a 1v1, I'm still gonna be pissed. Ultimate doesn't even guarantee that casual players will find a preferred ruleset. I would love to see different playlists that support all spectrums of the community, as numerous online games have done before.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I tried to connect a few minutes ago.
First the game says to me that I left the session last time and that I should be aware that disconnections like this one can be penalized.

Me : "Wtf ?!?!"

Then I try to find a fight.
Connection Error.

Yeah, great, but now I pay for this shit.
Ya they wouldn't let me on for a while. I'm sorry Nintendo I had to quite because the 5 minute match was literally taking me 30 minutes to get through, of course I'm gonna disconnect.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The anti-competitive player arguments do not work in this case. This problem goes both ways. Casual players who just want to have fun in a crazy stage with items in an FFA are being matched up with players way out of their league like Zero, looking for a 1v1, who absolutely don't care about the match and might just decide to disconnect. Players looking to do an FFA with items can end up being brought to an omega stage in a 2v2.

This "solution" sucks for all players, not just people looking to 1v1.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The reason it feels that way to you is because your definition of Smash is way narrower than most people's. It's 1V1 no items, final destination, and everything else is a "waste of time". Nobody is dictating how you should play. I just find that a system that allows us to play the way we want at all, is better than a system that allows one segment of the population (that is not the majority), to play the way they want to at all times.

I agree these should not be mutually exclusive. For Glory can and should return as a compliment to these other game modes.

As you assert, more options is better, not worse. Which is why this system is superior, even if it currently comes at the expense of you getting what you want all the time.

In the meantime, I highly suggest using the Battle Arenas. It's very easy to create the exact conditions you want and find players interested in playing that way. It just means sometimes waiting your turn to play, which is exactly what you're arguing for. Letting everyone play the exact mode they want, even if it means long matchmaking times.
You really need to stop trying to insinuate that by picking a preferred mode of play that this means I have a narrow understanding for what smash is. Those two things are not AT ALL related and I can't tell if youre intentionally being obtuse to defend this system or if you really dont understand that. It has nothing to do with a narrow view, or how I think smash should play, or how I think others should play. I am saying if I pick a mode to play online, I should get that mode 100% of the time, just like every other online MP game does, not because I think this is how it SHOULD be played, but because I dont want to play the other modes like FFA or whatever else people are using to win cheeky matches and gain gsp. I have stated repeatedly that you should get your own search list under what Nintendo has given us. Notice I am not excluding anyone who wants to play smash a different way. I am saying no one should be forced to playing a mode they do not want to. It cant be this hard to understand and has nothing to do with what I think smash should be. We fundamentally disagree on what system is better thats fine. But if they wanted to give everyone the entire parameters for searching for games they should have done so while still ensuring that they get exactly those games. This isn't how it has to be so theres no reason to defend it. It can offer everyone the full range of options while not tying everyone down to two modes and if it does that then I would hope we both agree thats a better system than either this one or the Wii U one. Which is what Im pushing for here.

We agree here but I think as I stated previously if they manage to just ensure you get the mode with your exact parameters we shouldnt have much of a need for a for glory mode, I would imagine.

Yeah thats the current alternative. Do you get gsp from battle arenas? I dont think necessarily think waiting for arena is what Im advocating here for, as for glory was able to get us into matches rather quickly and without having to wait for people to leave lobbies/depend on the host etc. Its a better alternative if it gives gsp and you can search in the background while waiting for your turn, I agree. Ive just read a lot of conflicting info on them to make the jump.

The anti-competitive player arguments do not work in this case. This problem goes both ways. Casual players who just want to have fun in a crazy stage with items in an FFA are being matched up with players way out of their league like Zero, looking for a 1v1, who absolutely don't care about the match and might just decide to disconnect. Players looking to do an FFA with items can end up being brought to an omega stage in a 2v2.

Bingo. Watching zero get matched up with casual FFA players this weekend, must have been a blast for those people. But then again Ive found the complaints from the casual community over the years to be completely unfounded because Ive never seen any competitive player ask that smash dictates the game completely to competitive or take away casual playstyles. Its really fucking weird.

To an extent I agree with you but the problem is, this current system is SO close to being able to cater to everyone had it not been for a handful of disastrous shortcomings. It could easily work that way above with little effort while also allowing the majority of people to play casually.
You can't be serious with this. Smash Bros. Ultimate's online failings have very little to do with Sakurai as a director. Smash is made to appeal to as many people as possible, and no matter how popular competitive Smash might be, that doesn't mean he's going to pigeon-hole himself into the demands of what still isn't exactly a majority of the audience. Ultimate has already made a bunch of advancements for the benefit of competitive 1v1s, and to continue singling out Sakurai as the problem of the series is an axe that's very much not worthy the grind.
Where have I ever said it shouldnt appeal to casual players? Where has any competitive player said that? Ive also never seen demands being made for elements that would ruin the casual environment. Its mostly casual players thinking that high end gameplay should be dialed back for no real reason because competitive players enjoy something they will never experience. Weve already gotten a game that appeases both audiences and for no reason this fabricated narrative fomented from Sakuri during the wii version that he couldn't appeal to competitive players and it wasnt meant to be a competitive game despite the fact the previous iteration catered perfectly to both. Its not a request for one at the expense of the other. And very much it is sakuri making this false dichotomy. Hes done since the wii and his stated version of smash is completely different from what a large subset want (and mind you, want without jeopardizing the way casual smash plays).

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, that works? How fast do people join?

Thank you!

We played for about 2 hours today and maybe 3 of our matches had less than 4 people. its a pretty good mix of newcomers and people who stick around.

A couple things to keep in mind. If one person rage quits the entire match ends and you all go back to the lobby to play again. It's definitely annoying.

Also, for some stupid reason, when you create a public arena, your brother will not find you by searching for a friend arena. Tell him to search for similar parameters you put up (all skill level, 4 player smash) and you'll show up on the public list.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Exactly. If Smash was a typical online game, it would have a list of playlists as follows:

-FFA Time
-FFA Stock
-1v1 Competitive (rules and stage list continually updated based on community monitoring of tournament rulesets)
-2v2 Casual
-2v2 Competitive (continually updated as with 1v1)

Each playlist would have its own GSP ranking and would only utilize that specific ruleset. Both casual and competitive players would be guaranteed what they want.

Now, obviously these playlists don't cover the full spectrum of Smash's customizable rules. It's unfortunate, but too many playlists would fragment the population significantly. But battle arenas still exist for players who prefer wackier rules or less popular methods of play. Discrete playlists are still a fantastic way of enabling the most popular modes of play, and playlists can be added and removed as the game goes along based on population counts and player feedback.

Also, all of these things were achieved in Halo 2 back in 2004 :p

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
can you play 2v2 with a friend against randoms?

like me on my switch, him on his switch, we group up, then we are matched against 2 random people in the world?

followup:
alternatively, can 2 people play group up on the same switch locally to do the same thing, go online to match against 2 other randoms?

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Also I suppose
Exactly. If Smash was a typical online game, it would have a list of playlists as follows:

-FFA Time
-FFA Stock
-1v1 Competitive (rules and stage list continually updated based on community monitoring of tournament rulesets)
-2v2 Casual

Each playlist would have its own GSP ranking and would only utilize that specific ruleset. Both casual and competitive players would be guaranteed what they want.

Now, obviously these playlists don't cover the full spectrum of Smash's customizable rules. It's unfortunate, but too many playlists would fragment the population significantly. But battle arenas still exist for players who prefer wackier rules or less popular methods of play. Discrete playlists are still a fantastic way of enabling the most popular modes of play, and playlists can be added and removed as the game goes along based on population counts and player feedback.

Also it should support 8 players..

I understand NOW why it doesn't but in general it should.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

-FFA Time
-FFA Stock
-2v2 Casual

It blows my mind how much they nailed it 14 years ago, and yet here we are still wishing for games to even get on par with that, let alone improve upon it lol.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It blows my mind how much they nailed it 14 years ago, and yet here we are still wishing for games to even get on par with that, let alone improve upon it lol.

Because, and to not mince words, the online functionality of Nintendo-published game's nearly always sucks shit. I can't matchmake with friends in Mario Kart 8 without first stalking them into a partially filled, already in progress lobby from the friends list. I can't party up with friends to matchmake together in Splatoon 2, a goddamn team based shooter. I couldn't matchmake with online friends for Mario Tennis Aces doubles until just recently. ARMS perhaps makes out the best of them, but IIRC it still has no dedicated 2v2 matchmaking with online friends and that it works probably speaks more to the limited ruleset than actual impressive functionality consciously built in by the devs.

There's always a catch with the online functionality of Nintendo's games that simply isn't there with other games. I can load up Fortnite on Switch, select a playlist, invite some friends, and suddenly we're all on the same team playing our preferred mode. Like, why why why why is this so difficult.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because, and to not mince words, the online functionality of Nintendo-published game's nearly always sucks shit. I can't matchmake with friends in Mario Kart 8 without first stalking them into a partially filled, already in progress lobby from the friends list. I can't party up with friends to matchmake together in Splatoon 2, a goddamn team based shooter. I couldn't matchmake with online friends for Mario Tennis Aces doubles until just recently. ARMS perhaps makes out the best of them, but IIRC it still has no dedicated 2v2 matchmaking with online friends and that it works probably speaks more to the limited ruleset than actual impressive functionality consciously built in by the devs.

There's always a catch with the online functionality of Nintendo's games that simply isn't there with other games. I can load up Fortnite on Switch, select a playlist, invite some friends, and suddenly we're all on the same team playing our preferred mode. Like, why why why why is this so difficult.
Because they dont understand the impact or desire of online gaming in 2018. And people will still use "its nintendo" to defend them from it instead of holding their feet to the fire to get with the program.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The one good thing about the horrible lag is watching my favorite streamers rage. MoonMoon has been going nuts on smash and Nintendo since release

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We played for about 2 hours today and maybe 3 of our matches had less than 4 people. its a pretty good mix of newcomers and people who stick around.

A couple things to keep in mind. If one person rage quits the entire match ends and you all go back to the lobby to play again. It's definitely annoying.

Also, for some stupid reason, when you create a public arena, your brother will not find you by searching for a friend arena. Tell him to search for similar parameters you put up (all skill level, 4 player smash) and you'll show up on the public list.
This needs some testing.

When I made a lobby for my friend it showed up in friend arena. Idk what settings I had different but it shows up without giving him the ID.

When he made one I couldn't find it and needed the ID.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Have we heard from nintendo, or anybody on whether they are working on a fix or not? I dont have a lot of confidence in Nintendo on post launch fixes, but surely its not going to stay like this right? Im strictly talking about the lag.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have we heard from nintendo, or anybody on whether they are working on a fix or not? I dont have a lot of confidence in Nintendo on post launch fixes, but surely its not going to stay like this right? Im strictly talking about the lag.
The lag is absolutely staying. Most people dont use a wired connection. As for mm systems i feel theyll also stay.

Oct 25, 2017
The lag is absolutely staying. Most people dont use a wired connection. As for mm systems i feel theyll also stay.

I doubt FFA and 1:1 get matched together forever. All they need to do is change the coefficient in the penalty algrothim to something obscene.

Betting that the MM equation stays exactly the same forever is a bold bet that I don't think you'd seriously make, because it is pretty outlandish.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You dont need a wired connection to play on a stable connection. I just bought an adapter and ethernet cable on amazon today but I had like 2/25 games be laggy. And thats against randoms. Against friends its 0.

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
I think the biggest problem of the online is how Nintendo continues to make it difficult to play with friends (especially with console sharing).
How can you not bring a friend on the same console to the battle arena lobbies? Quickplay only is ridiculous.

The difficulty in playing with friends (both online and locally) has been an issue for ARMS, Splatoon 2, and now Smash. I just don't get why Nintendo doesn't make it easy as possible to play with people however you want.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Usually (from my Wii U experience) because it's connecting you with 3 other players who are likely using wifi and have bad interenet meaning everyone gets dragged down to their laggy level.

Pretty sure this is the culprit more than anything to be honest. First couple of games I played online (via co-op) were pretty great for me, but the next couple of matches afterward were pretty abysmal. I can almost guarantee that it was because they were playing via Wifi. To Nintendo's credit they did advise to use an Ethernet adapter (even though folks would not listen or care). One thing that I think would be a great idea in order to mitigate these issues specifically would be to have some sort of requirement that checks your switch if you're on an Ethernet line connection and if not, restricting you to an environment with other wireless players or making a dedicated wifi matchmaking que. May need some refinement, but i think there's some potential there to ensure a more enjoyable experience for folks that are hardwired in, but hard to say at this point. internet connection is such a tough thing to mitigate. Possibly a connectivity meter before you join a match like Tekken/ street figther would help. Something that lets us know for sure that ok their connection is really poor or something.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt FFA and 1:1 get matched together forever. All they need to do is change the coefficient in the penalty algrothim to something obscene.

Betting that the MM equation stays exactly the same forever is a bold bet that I don't think you'd seriously make, because it is pretty outlandish.
The only outlandish thing being said is expecting a studio and company that has a history of never drastically overhauling the online features of their flagship title nor the performance of their online modes is somehow all of a sudden going to change course and drastically fix the online mode offerings and work on stability in a meaningful way. I'll be happy to be wrong about this if they do.

You dont need a wired connection to play on a stable connection. I just bought an adapter and ethernet cable on amazon today but I had like 2/25 games be laggy. And thats against randoms. Against friends its 0.
Anecdotal evidence. I have friends who say the exact opposite. And for me personally I have games where the game entirely freezes and has to load and I have great internet.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
Hey look, another great Nintendo game being held back by their incompetence. Hopefully, everybody voicing their complaints will get back to Nintendo because it so annoying watching them do this to themselves.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only outlandish thing being said is expecting a studio and company that has a history of never drastically overhauling the online features of their flagship title nor the performance of their online modes is somehow all of a sudden going to change course and drastically fix the online mode offerings and work on stability in a meaningful way. I'll be happy to be wrong about this if they do.

Anecdotal evidence. I have friends who say the exact opposite. And for me personally I have games where the game entirely freezes and has to load and I have great internet.
I mean yeah, I honestly dont know why its so varied. I believe people have laggy matches because I have them but it seems some people have them more than others which is just so strange to me. Plenty of people here are having laggy matches and then plenty of people are fine lagless matches. That being said, I have never experienced the game having to freeze and then load. I probably played online for like 20 hours this weekend.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is i know the obvious QoL fixes (let me switch characters between matches, change my charcter/stage while queuing, spectate while waiting) will never come based on Nintendo's track record.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean yeah, I honestly dont know why its so varied. I believe people have laggy matches because I have them but it seems some people have them more than others which is just so strange to me. Plenty of people here are having laggy matches and then plenty of people are fine lagless matches. That being said, I have never experienced the game having to freeze and then load. I probably played online for like 20 hours this weekend.
It only happens a lot for me in FFA (of course the one time my gf is watching) and occasionally with 1v1 which is obviously a lot more problematic. I hope they can figure it out, I just dont have much confidence that they will do much to it because Wii U remained pretty much the same for me from launch until a few months ago when I played online for a bit.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This needs some testing.

When I made a lobby for my friend it showed up in friend arena. Idk what settings I had different but it shows up without giving him the ID.

When he made one I couldn't find it and needed the ID.

When you made it, was it public or for friends?

Oct 25, 2017

You can actually do this in League battles and Splatfests (salmon run counts too i guess), but not on normal turf wars, Why? Obviously because the devs want it that way.

Stuff like this is why it feels weird to talk about some vague Nintendo ineptitude, each game is different, and all the mistakes feel like really conscious decisions from very stubborn developers. A lot of the complains people have about Ultimate were things that not present in Smash 4, hell, the modes available in Smash 4 are pretty close at what you described as your typical online game, there was competitive 1v1, 2v2 and FFA (although 2v2 and FFA were timed battles) and casual 2v2 and FFA.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It only happens a lot for me in FFA (of course the one time my gf is watching) and occasionally with 1v1 which is obviously a lot more problematic. I hope they can figure it out, I just dont have much confidence that they will do much to it because Wii U remained pretty much the same for me from launch until a few months ago when I played online for a bit.
It honestly doesn't bother me because I experience the same amount of lag in any fighting game. Just want them to add a for glory/battlefield mode. I love arenas though I been wanting an endless lobby in smash with spectating for awhile

When you made it, was it public or for friends?
I'll have to look again but I'm thinkin public. Just made it 2 players though and he searched friends and found it

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched a video of a 1v1 with items and 3 minute timer, and someone won because theres an item that gives you an extra life? So as time ran out they got an extra life with 15 seconds left. I cant even.

Oct 25, 2017
The game got fucked over by not having an online beta. Pushing a new MM system to live without any widespread testing is asking for a trip, and that's pretty much what they got.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I have problems with the online, but not really what the OP outlined (although I can see people are already addressing these).

My main issue is that getting into a game with a friend is frustrating and the solution (battle arenas) have their own set of issues.

How can I not just hit my friend's name on my friends list and play with them? Or at least have an invite system. It's also ridiculous if we just want to play some 2 v 2 we have to make a battle arena, hope people join, hope they accept the teams we want, and hope they don't immediately start the next game if someone wants to change characters, etc.

It's even worse now that I'm paying for it, get your shit together.

That being said, just clicking quickplay when I want to play solo has been fine aside from lag sometimes (although a Fun/Glory option would be nice for when I don't want to take it seriously).

Apr 21, 2018
Of course not. They've never fixed the online and lag. Why would they start now? They still clearly dont understand how important online gaming is.

I wonder if there is just a way it can try to match people with similar connection speeds.

My experience online so far has been pretty excellent. It's not as fleshed out as Xbox Live, and the Nintendo app is garbage-tier, but I've been able to get into online matches quickly and without any lag. Maybe it's because I live in an area (Ontario, Canada) with relatively good internet connections amongst people.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The friend lobby thing is really weird to me. Because, it looks like a modern fighting game lobby. Multiple people can join in, there's an area for spectators. But it's almost like they only looked at a picture of a modern fighting game lobby, because they don't actually have any of the features, it's just there for show. So, so fucking stupid that you can't spectate or have multiple matches going.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. They've never fixed the online and lag. Why would they start now? They still clearly dont understand how important online gaming is.

I didnt play Brawl online so I cant speak for it, but the one on 3DS and WiiU was not nearly this bad online. This isnt just bad connection, its horrendous. Surely they cant just leave it as is.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I played quite a bit of this game online last night thru this morning. Had a blast, most the matches were very smooth and the topic of getting FFA's with items just came to my mind because...

I guess maybe 10 were FFA's. I played at least 5-8 hours. I noticed with my lower ranked characters it happened more often. Once I hit 700k GSP it never happened. I just played probably near 30 matches in a row with my highest GSP characters, unlocked Elite mode with Toon Link when I hit 900k.

Get the feeling the lower rank you are the more likely you are to enter a FFA, but maybe it's just my luck or area (San Diego, CA)

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
My experience has actually been pretty good. Ever since I got my Ganondorf to Elite Smash, I haven't even had a bad match since.

So.... yeah.
I played quite a bit of this game online last night thru this morning. Had a blast, most the matches were very smooth and the topic of getting FFA's with items just came to my mind because...

I guess maybe 10 were FFA's. I played at least 5-8 hours. I noticed with my lower ranked characters it happened more often. Once I hit 700k GSP it never happened. I just played probably near 30 matches in a row with my highest GSP characters, unlocked Elite mode with Toon Link when I hit 900k.

Get the feeling the lower rank you are the more likely you are to enter a FFA, but maybe it's just my luck or area (San Diego, CA)
This describes my experience well, and I like in Chicago Suburbs.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Heres a clip from last night when we tried coop queue last night and these guys took the cake for lag (this is all in real time). He had no chance of winning so decided to try and run away so it really took 20 minutes because we didn't want to cop a ban for leaving.