• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
So are they only going to host Halo tournaments now?

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Oh wow, used this all the time when I hosted Colligate Tournaments for Smash and Dragon Ball. Good for them, I think?

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Forgive me for this but...whats smash.gg, im reading esports but its and "important" brand in this?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Bring back KI.

With how big was XSX & PS5.

Series S is like the perfect console to bring at LAN for versus fighting. even more if it support 120/60FPS on something like SF6.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I believe the OP should have more information put into it. But i guess it's some e-sports thing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
*looks at mixer* Hmmm. But I'm guessing this will help out eSports when Halo Infinite comes out, so it make actually bare fruit.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't follow much of the Esports scene, is this good for Smash.gg? I assume Microsoft wants them to continue what they are doing + support some of their own games in the future.
What is exactly Smash.gg used for? Just for organizing?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow much of the Esports scene, is this good for Smash.gg? I assume Microsoft wants them to continue what they are doing + support some of their own games in the future.
That and official event holdings as well.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I need to follow a little more this Esports stuff I literally knows shit about, nothing. Not even a league.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting acquisition, it was known that they were struggling in the covid world and were looking for support somehow. There's a certain irony about a company born because of and named after a video game being acquired by a direct competitor

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Tournament Brackets and planning

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird acquisition. They were struggling so makes sense they'd look for larger support.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That and official event holdings as well.

Yea I'm reading on their website and it seems the way they make money is by offering Services to help tournaments be better basically. So you can host torunaments for free on the website and then if you want to go "Pro" and need help they are there to help?

What are some good tournaments they have organized?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Forgive me for this but...whats smash.gg, im reading esports but its and "important" brand in this?
A very ubiquitous site that people can use when organizing or attending tournaments.

It used to be just for Smash but got expanded to encompass basically any e-sport title.

smash.gg is more like a tool people use than a proper organization that hosts its own tournaments (although I think they do work as sponsors).

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I owned the relationship on the MS side between the Store and Smash for a little over a year before my program got shut down. Smash is a great team with some super talented and smart people so im happy for them.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm reading on their website and it seems the way they make money is by offering Services to help tournaments be better basically. So you can host torunaments for free on the website and then if you want to go "Pro" and need help they are there to help?

Pretty much every major Smash tournament uses smash.gg along with EVO, all the recent CEO events, and lots of other FGC events. It's the biggest TO platform.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting acquisition. As long as the site remains open for every eSports game it's fine.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
For everyone asking Smash.gg is big for local/online fighting tournaments, provides a roster and sign-up's for the event. Really just helps the smaller tournaments organize as well as some bigger ones.

OP
OP
GTOAkira

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
FGC wise, most events have move on from Challonge to smashgg. Heck capcom continually use smashgg for all of their esports related thing. With that said, I am really curious to see which console does the fgc moves on especially since SF6 is set to release on every platform beside the switch

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Another Beam/Mixer story? Hopefully not..

I mean, before the hiring of the "superstars" Mixer was getting bigger and bigger (just at an awfully slow pace). Microsoft just decided to try to go all in and it didn't work, so they went all out. No point in being in the space if Facebook/Youtube outgrew you that quickly.
But all in all it wasn't a bad investment at all, it just didn't pan out the way they expected.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
FGC wise, most events have move on from Challonge to smashgg. Heck capcom continually use smashgg for all of their esports related thing. With that said, I am really curious to see which console does the fgc moves on especially since SF6 is set to release on every platform beside the switch
I hope this means MS goes deeper into the FGC either through a new studio, acquisition or Global Publishing. They have the better online infrastructure IMO, Game Pass makes games more accessible and they have made it clear reducing lstency is one of their main goals this gen.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My heart wants to believe this is somehow related to a future KI announcement.

OP
OP
GTOAkira

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I hope this means MS goes deeper into the FGC either through a new studio, acquisition or Global Publishing. They have the better online infrastructure IMO, Game Pass makes games more accessible and they have made it clear reducing lstency is one of their main goals this gen.
With SF not being an exclusive anymore and with mostly likely no more playstation experience this is a pretty good time for microsoft to invest into fighting game.

GrandHarrier

Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of the Duel Links Meta admin and we've been using this for Yugioh Tournaments for years now. Sometimes the platform is absolute ass but its still better than anything else for large scale tournaments. We were pretty worried about the talks of them potentially going under a few months ago.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
haha the icon for the smash gg website still has the 2 intersecting lines that look like the smash logo (they started as a smash focused site). I wonder if they need to change that.
Also, congrats to the team