• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After some digging, we managed to find out that Hi-Rez Studios, the developer behind Smite and Paladins, registered "Tribes Royale" and is working on an "unannounced project.

It seems to be a Tribes IP revival centered on battle royale. Not sure if anyone cares enough about Tribes, but the last one (from what I remember) was in 2012.

Complete report with filing links and job posting links: http://mp1st.com/news/new-tribes-ga...battle-royale-theme-based-on-trademark-filing

If this is legit, most likely will be announced during the Hi-Rez Expo in January.

Mods, message me if there's something wrong with the thread, title (if it needs a rumor, etc.) or anything else. :)

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think how Tribes and Battle Royale fit well together, but I can't think of anything.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
H-Rez are shazbots and I'll never forgive those dirty sandrakers for what they did to Tribes Ascend

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off Hi Rez. Kill Tribes and potentially turning it into a Battle Royale mode?

Disgusting.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I love Tribes and I loved Tribes Ascend during the brief period when it was alive, but I don't know if the IP is a good fit for the Battle Royale template. The whole point of Tribes is scale, speed, and blue plate specials. That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Hi-Rez of all people is making a BR style game to capitalize on a popular genre.

hi i'm ark

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Based on the prior treatment of the Tribes IP by Hi-Rez, this sounds weak. Shoehorning it into an attempt to try and catch the PUBG lightning in a bottle leaves me with even less faith.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of fucking course Hi Rez would immediately go for a Battle Royale game lol.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off Hi Rez. Kill Tribes and potentially turning it into a Battle Royale mode?

Disgusting.

Tribes Ascend wasn't profitable for them, they didn't have much of a choice other than to stop development. And they actually made a big patch that fixed a lot of stuff that people didn't like after Smite became successful. They made it for the few remaining players of the game, and they didn't plan to make any money on it, so I think it was a nice gesture.

They've also been supporting both Smite and Paladins like crazy, because those games are actually profitable. And they have the Tribes IP, BR is huge right now, so I don't blame them for trying this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, why not?

It would be nice change of pace - with high-speed movement etc. Round would last about 5 minutes :P But I think actually they can try and do Smite Battle Royale. Just with hero characters, like this one game coming to Xbox One and PC that looks bit like Gigantic...

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
After some digging, we managed to find out that Hi-Rez Studios, the developer behind Smite and Paladins, registered "Tribes Royale" and is working on an "unannounced project.

It seems to be a Tribes IP revival centered on battle royale. Not sure if anyone cares enough about Tribes, but the last one (from what I remember) was in 2012.

Complete report with filing links and job posting links: http://mp1st.com/news/new-tribes-ga...battle-royale-theme-based-on-trademark-filing

If this is legit, most likely will be announced during the Hi-Rez Expo in January.

Mods, message me if there's something wrong with the thread, title (if it needs a rumor, etc.) or anything else. :)

giphy.gif

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Tribes with a Battle Royal mode? Could be good if they take the PUBG concept and expand it to like 10 tribes of 10 people each, all with their own bases.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
this could either be pretty good or fucking horrible. Didn't they leave Tribes Ascend to die?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Putting aside it has the Tribes name for a moment, this is classic Hi-Rez genre chasing. Fair play to them though, it usually seems to work out for them.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
FUCK.

YOU.

HIREZ.

After all the shit you put the Tribes Community for YEARS without throwing us a bone.

After all of the gross ass monetization skewed across your mediocre ass products? Fuck outta here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Hi Rez strategy is chasing the next big trend while also being succesfull with it

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
hmm.. you ruined tribes and continue to do so by following a trend.. you will never reach tribes 2 legacy again.

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
That could be really fun. I'll give it a shot. I'm sure it'll be free to play since it's Hirez.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played much of Paladins but it was fun while I did. Not something I stuck with for long, but as a free to play game it was one of the better ones. I'm curious to see how they do their own take on the battle royale formula with tribes. I haven't played PUBG yet, I may jump in when it comes to Xbox this year.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I would totally play a Tribes Battle Royale game! I think all the jumping, hill skiing, and vehicles from the universe would be a great fit, and make it super fast paced which would give it a different feel.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone describe Tribes gameplay and how it differs from other shooters. I've never played it.

Think I remember hearing something about skiing? Or maybe I'm mixing it up with another game.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sure, I'll just be foraging for supplies at 120MPH when suddenly I eat a spinfusor courtesy of some random Pathfinder who'd been traveling at light speed for the past few minutes.

No thanks.

OP
OP
excaliburps

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Will people give this a go if it's f2p? I mean, chances are high that it will be given Hi-Rez's background, right?

I've heard good things about Smite and Paladins, but it's clear that some people felt burned by the developer, which would explain the trepidation with this project.