• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So how has doubles been shaping up this gen? Haven't gotten around to trying out competitive yet, but that was always the format I found much more interesting. And is dynamax as much of a mess there as it seems to be in singles, or not so much?

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Not even sure what they were thinking when they made Stealth Rock, it doesn't even make sense conceptually. They refuse to nerf or remove it.
Flying types and levitators are not effected by hazards, so they were created. Stealth Rocks aren't even the reason why fire types aren't seen that much, unless your name is Rotom-Heat or Heatran.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These are the fundamentals? As someone who has never glanced at competitive pokemon, it feels like he goes straight into some pretty complicated stuff and has a level of knowledge about the top (or probably all) pokemon that I'd never be able to achieve lol. Way over my head and kind of scares me away from getting into it, but impressive nonetheless.
Honestly if you're really curious it's easy to rent a team to used in ranked from an experience player in this game, and experience is honestly by far the best way to learn

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how has doubles been shaping up this gen? Haven't gotten around to trying out competitive yet, but that was always the format I found much more interesting. And is dynamax as much of a mess there as it seems to be in singles, or not so much?
Gigantamax is legal in doubles so it could still be an issue. Nobody is really digging into it as much yet, the games are still young.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Where can I go to see all the official stuff? Ban lists, Ubers, all that.

Also when is Pokemon Showdown updating so I can craft some teams?

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Is running Tri-attack on Togekiss a good idea? I know it no longer gets stab due to the type change to Fairy, but the secondary effects of status alignment have been bumped from 20% to 40%?

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I haven't played Showdown in years, yet I've been itching to jump back in.

Dubwool looks really fun to use. I wonder if swords dance,body slam,rest, and sleep talk could work.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're referring to serene grace? Regardless air slash and it's Flinch chance is a much better choice imo
Yeah I was, sorry. I should have clarified on that front.

But then again, who runs Hustle or Super Luck on a Togekiss?
Ah I thought you meant if it was worth using now after a change and not because of Serene Grace yeah
Perhaps you can use both it and Air Slash instead of Dazzling Gleam if your main objective is annoy the enemy

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I thought you meant if it was worth using now after a change and not because of Serene Grace yeah
Perhaps you can use both it and Air Slash instead of Dazzling Gleam if your main objective is annoy the enemy
Even then why not just use thunder wave and have a far more reliable status move? One that will always synergize with air slash flinching which is your main strategy anyways when using togekiss

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know what GF was thinking giving Dracovish Strong Jaw. It makes Dracovish even better then it already was

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To screw with ground types? idk lol, sometimes unpredictability works
I mean you aren't completely wrong on unpredictability but I don't think tri attack is reliable enough to be useful as a move designed to throw off the opponent. Not to mention you could also be using tailwind instead as another option

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Togekiss only needs Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam, and Flamethrower/Fire Blast for attacking moves. You could get away with just Air Slash /Flamethrower or even just Air Slash. No need to rely on unpredictability when you can literally flinch your opponent to death

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
These are the fundamentals? As someone who has never glanced at competitive pokemon, it feels like he goes straight into some pretty complicated stuff and has a level of knowledge about the top (or probably all) pokemon that I'd never be able to achieve lol. Way over my head and kind of scares me away from getting into it, but impressive nonetheless.
Nothing in the video was that complex, he also makes it sound really fun in some aspects, though unfortunately predictable eventually. It's like a card game where you try to guess the other players hand by drawing out their moves, and he makes a good point in the video that the meta is more so about popular Pokemon (usually the easiest to use effectively) and their counters. Thats why every once in a while someone can come in with something abnormal.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I won't be surprised if they suspect test Dracovish in the future. If you don't have Seismitoad/Gastrodon/Jellicent/(insert even more niche water absorb pokemon here) teams can pretty much auto lose to it at team preview depending on what choice item it brings.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be surprised if they suspect test Dracovish in the future. If you don't have Seismitoad/Gastrodon/Jellicent/(insert even more niche water absorb pokemon here) teams can pretty much auto lose to it at team preview depending on what choice item it brings.
When even stuff like toxapex isn't safe you know you're in trouble.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah pretty much every vid I watch is Dracovish curb stomping folks. Really kinda depressing.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

It's going to happen. Prob be the next up to the plate after they ban Dynamax.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
How do people deal with Dracovish?
In doubles trick room (its not a common set up yet) seems to cripple it and most people just flail and stall with moves like protect until trick room ends so you could have a feint user to pressure people who are trying that since it disables the protect for the other team member Pokemon to attack, or you can do trick room and knock off to hopefully force it to switch out next turn.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Not shocking to see these Pokemon on top but it's nice to see Seismitoad get some spotlight (It had a small niche last gen but was still barely used in OU). As a person who plays both Smogon and VGC this is going to be an interesting meta (People need to always have something for Dracovish because that thing is everywhere in both Metas).

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Yep
EKMhxCMXsAEfgvO.png

Dear God what a monster

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In doubles trick room (its not a common set up yet) seems to cripple it and most people just flail and stall with moves like protect until trick room ends so you could have a feint user to pressure people who are trying that since it disables the protect for the other team member Pokemon to attack, or you can do trick room and knock off to hopefully force it to switch out next turn.
In general it's less of a threat in doubles because you can predict it's target and protect and then hit it with your other Pokémon, plus stuff like tailwind and and trick room are way more common in doubles(though most doubles players will pair dracovish with a tailwind user for that reason)
Gastrodon also completely neuters it in doubles and is pretty common in that format

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Too bad for my boy Golurk but seeing some that got in OU this time around is quite interesting.