• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Winter 2018, right Atlas? On a more serious note I would expect it mid-2019 if it comes out late 2018 in Japan.
If how they handled SMTIV is anything to go on, maybe we could see it a month or two. I think the wait between the Japanese and US release of SMTIV is the shortest they have had between them (two months).

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep a similar UI for the battle system. Giving each different action a button really made battles really fast. At a point, everything is mapped to your muscle memory and you can do all sorts of shit in no time.

I'm not asking them to drop the Press Turn Based system or anything. But Persona 5 succeeded at crafting a battle system that feels really fast, snappy and cinematic while keeping you in full control of your party members.

Hopefully SMT will get the popularity it deserves after Persona 5 push. It'd be cool if we saw them pushing for a EFIGS localization too.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If how they handled SMTIV is anything to go on, maybe we could see it a month or two. I think the wait between the Japanese and US release of SMTIV is the shortest they have had between them (two months).

That's he outlier though. Look at SMt IV A, P5 (talking about JP -> West localization gap), EOV, SJ remake, etc... I just don't see 1-2 month with current Atlus.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call Apocalypse's boss designs "anime." (not going to talk about characters, though...) Medusa in particular is clearly trying to recreate the synthetic look and palette of many Nocturne-era Kaneko designs (yellow and blank eyes, muted color scheme, geometric patterning, etc.)

I personally think Medusa is a huge difference over Kaneko's design. It doesn't feel anything like him, it's on the same page as Cleopatra for me.

If SMT4's Medusa design is not exactly the best, I think it is much closer to the usual demon design in feeling alone. It was very much in tone with the progressively darker atmosphere of Naraku. Apocalypse's Medusa would have felt off place.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious to see what kind of production values this game has. I personally love the look and feel of SMT4 on 3DS but it's obviously a "handheld game" if you will when compared to something like Persona 5. Will SMT5 be closer to a spruced up SMT4, or will it get the big budget treatment we saw with P5? The trailers would suggest the latter, but we'll see. It's not terribly important either way, just something new to think about with the Switch being a hybrid console.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean relatively speaking, it was on appropriate hardware for the time when it was on consoles. But since the 3DS boomed, its obviously fallen off.
fallen off in sales or graphical performance? I'm assuming the latter, but I think that can be attributed to Atlus in general rather than series performance. they only have 3 HD games since the HD Era began in 2005 after all

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
That's he outlier though. Look at SMt IV A, P5 (talking about JP -> West localization gap), EOV, SJ remake, etc... I just don't see 1-2 month with current Atlus.
SJR's localization got announced about a month after the game was announced in Japan. It came out about a month ago in Japan, and I'm guessing Atlus didn't want to release SJR around the holidays, so it's 2018. Or it's possible the localization actually took longer.

For mainline though, I could see it taking higher priority. Persona 5 also took high priority I imagine, but I'm not sure why that one kept getting delayed.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was actually most likely due to the shitty engine they made for it. The director of SMT V was taking about being able to see the results of your game and edit on the fly immediately was a game changer, something that every Modern multiplat engine can do. Making their own engine was a terrible decision and I bet we'll probably never see it again, even for persona 6.

That's actually false. It was as I said - the fact that the game had to be ported to PS4. Hashino himself said that once that happened, all 2D assets had to literally be redrawn from scratch to be rendered in 1080p. That was one of the major hurdles, and I'm sure the transition away from the PS3's cell processor towards the PS4 wasn't easy either.

I'm also fairly certain that literally every Megaten game since the dawn of time ran on proprietary technology save for SMTV, running UE4 - and that's fine. I'd actually rather see that if it streamlines and eases development. But I think it's extreme to say it was a mistake to use their own engines, since it was never a problem until P5.

A lot of gamers are very new to Atlus and the Megaten series as a whole, and that's awesome. What's frustrating is the bizarre lie that they take forever on games. They used to put out an SMT game on like a yearly basis, and the time between Persona games was only a couple of years tops. This huge delay that happened with P5 was an aberration, not the norm.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
SJR's localization got announced about a month after the game was announced in Japan. It came out about a month ago in Japan, and I'm guessing Atlus didn't want to release SJR around the holidays, so it's 2018. Or it's possible the localization actually took longer.

For mainline though, I could see it taking higher priority. Persona 5 also took high priority I imagine, but I'm not sure why that one kept getting delayed.
I am not certainly how much of a priority P5 localization took since the results were subpar. Anyway, I am going to get the game Day 1 which will be in 2019 pessimistically and 2018 optimistically.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
How similar is this to persona series? I loved p5

Battle gameplay is almost identical. Instead of having other characters with Persona's though you just have demons. It's basically Persona without any of the social elements to put it bluntly. Hopefully it will have the same depth of level design as P5 did.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
How similar is this to persona series? I loved p5
Similar in regards to the fact that the battle system will have a similar mechanic about exploiting weaknesses (although quite different from Persona's most likely). The tone will be completely different than Persona, taking place during the apocalypse, and being more about rebuilding the world with your alignment of choice. There's other plot details mentioned in the Famitsu article: https://gematsu.com/2017/10/shin-megami-tensei-v-will-game-sympathizes-times

There are the same set of demons (that were the shadows/personas in P5), and likely some new ones. I'd suggest going and playing Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne or Shin Megami Tensei IV then Apocalypse.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I am not certainly how much of a priority P5 localization took since the results were subpar. Anyway, I am going to get the game Day 1 which will be in 2019 pessimistically and 2018 optimistically.
I meant priority as in a "they want to get it out there since it's the biggest selling game".

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep a similar UI for the battle system. Giving each different action a button really made battles really fast. At a point, everything is mapped to your muscle memory and you can do all sorts of shit in no time.

I'm not asking them to drop the Press Turn Based system or anything. But Persona 5 succeeded at crafting a battle system that feels really fast, snappy and cinematic while keeping you in full control of your party members.

Hopefully SMT will get the popularity it deserves after Persona 5 push. It'd be cool if we saw them pushing for a EFIGS localization too.
SMT press turn is one of the fastest turn based battle systems in all rpgs and it has menus. Nocturne and IV are some of the fastest games I've ever played battle system wise. If the layout is anything like IV's then button mapping may be possible but it would be a bit more complex. I personally don't think press turn needs it as it is already as fast, if not faster, than Persona 5's.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Souls of Persona™

Excited for the reviews and opinions at release ? Can't wait for the SMT5 edition of this :

a7yudhr88bqg.jpg

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I really struggled to get more than a couple hours into IV, but I'm looking forward to this. I just hope the opening hours are a bit more gentle for lack of a better word.

Calm down, I know SMT is supposed to be hard as balls.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd person perspective in battles is all i want.

A evolution of Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne is all I want. I love the 3rd person view in this series.

Honestly those aren't even the worst examples. Medusa (The IV one, not Apocalypse) and Lilith are the worst.

What's wrong with Medusa? I liked her design.

Cool I'm in, probably will get the switch version

I think this will be exclusive to the Switch and I THINK it was mentioned somewhere. I could be wrong. My memory isn't the best.

i mean yeah, but getting torn apart by a demon? pretty hardcore stuff. hopefully it sets the tone for the rest of the game

mara is inherent to SMT, cant not have him around

Mara is a female cursed by one of the Olympic gods I believe.

I don't think Nintendo plays things up like that any more. 3DS games never boasted about being exclusive.

I don't think Octopath Traveller really says it's exclusive either.

I think in the Direct where the demo was announced Square said it'll be Switch exclusive. Could be wrong.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really struggled to get more than a couple hours into IV, but I'm looking forward to this. I just hope the opening hours are a bit more gentle for lack of a better word.

Calm down, I know SMT is supposed to be hard as balls.

These games do have a difficulty setting these days. IV's Easy Mode was unlocked after dying twice.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
tbh none of my friends that loves persona 5 actually likes shin megami tensei games as well,I tried to have them play nocturne and even apocalypse but literally none of them liked those games and dropped mid way.After a while I had to accept the fact the two series aims for completely different audiences and yeah,I know there are people enjoy both series but not that many people like persona will also like mainline smt

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like I said my memory isn't the best and I may be confusing the lore of two demons up but it was either Medusa or Mara who was raped by Poseidon and beg Athena for some some of vengeance and ended up getting cursed instead while the other I think was all into her beauty and ended up as Medusa or a giant dick.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I think this will be exclusive to the Switch and I THINK it was mentioned somewhere. I could be wrong. My memory isn't the best.

Ah then switch it is, was thinking maybe a PC/ PS4 port but if exclusive that's cool too. Just hope its not quite as long as Persona 5 (well drawn out should I say).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for the reviews and opinions at release ? Can't wait for the SMT5 edition of this :

a7yudhr88bqg.jpg

half of those were taken from the same review and removed from their context of discussing SMT4's intro and how it feels similar to Persona 3, and then shifts into how great the game is when you finally reach Tokyo.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not a huge fan of the MegaTen elitist mentality in this image. People have different opinions.

It feels more like a clash of expectations to me. SMT4 was brazen in that it defied the trend by offering a harder, unforgiving package while denying everything that we've come to expect until 7 or 8 hours in.

SMT4 was ambitious, I'd like to see them offer something equally surprising and eye-popping as
the giant foreplay leading to the delightful discovery of Tokyo

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah then switch it is, was thinking maybe a PC/ PS4 port but if exclusive that's cool too. Just hope its not quite as long as Persona 5 (well drawn out should I say).

Just don't hold me to it if I'm somehow wrong. I'm not trying to actively give you wrong info. I'm just not 100% sure because of my memory.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the MegaTen elitist mentality in this image. People have different opinions.
I get that, but there are people that actually have that mentality of "Why doesn't it have social links?" or have called it "The Dark Souls of Persona" unironically. I can see how the image comes off as elitist for sure though.

It's like that one IGN review of a Football Manager game that gave it a really terrible score because it didn't play like FIFA.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
These games do have a difficulty setting these days. IV's Easy Mode was unlocked after dying twice.

I think it was less the difficulty and more the pacing or lack of a sense of progress. I don't know, it's been a while and I'm definitely not trying to suggest a series that is revered by a hardcore fan base needs to change for filthy casuals.

I am just hoping for a more positive experience on a personal level and maybe V will be the one to do that.

It'll help to not play on the ugly painful 3ds hardware.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
half of those were taken from the same review and removed from their context of discussing SMT4's intro and how it feels similar to Persona 3, and then shifts into how great the game is when you finally reach Tokyo.

This is clearly not true, any quick search in any of those quotes shows snippets from different reviews and/or twitter/gaf opinions. Only the Persona 3 snippets come from the USGamer review (that is one of the few reviews that truly mentions the shift in tone when you get to that part)

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It feels more like a clash of expectations to me. SMT4 was brazen in that it defied the trend by offering a harder, unforgiving package while denying everything that we've come to expect until 7 or 8 hours in.

Yeah I think part of the problem lies in how Atlus USA marketed Persona under the SMT label for a long time. It set up wrong expectations about what SMT was about.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said my memory isn't the best and I may be confusing the lore of two demons up but it was either Medusa or Mara who was raped by Poseidon and beg Athena for some some of vengeance and ended up getting cursed instead while the other I think was all into her beauty and ended up as Medusa or a giant dick.

Mara is from Buddhism. Medusa was the one that was cursed by the Gods.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse's normal mode was easier than SMTIVs I found. It was more welcoming, but the hard mode (war) was a fantastic difficulty setting for me as someone experienced with the series. And there is an even harder difficulty on top of that. Difficulty settings are a good way to appeal to as many people as possible.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely excited. Wasn't a big fan of SMT4, but I liked a lot of the gameplay improvements in Apocalypse even if I didn't enjoy the direction they went in tonally.