• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SAN DIEGO — Smuggling gangs in Mexico have repeatedly sawed through new sections of President Trump's border wall in recent months by using commercially available power tools, opening gaps large enough for people and drug loads to pass through, according to U.S. agents and officials with knowledge of the damage.
The breaches have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100. When fitted with specialized blades, the saws can slice through one of the barrier's steel-and-concrete bollards in a matter of minutes, according to the agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the barrier-defeating techniques.
After cutting through the base of a single bollard, smugglers can push the steel out of the way, allowing an adult to fit through the gap. Because the bollards are so tall — and are attached only to a panel at the very top — their length makes them easier to push aside once they have been cut and are left dangling, according to engineers consulted by The Washington Post.
The taxpayer-funded barrier — so far coming with a $10 billion price tag — was a central theme of Trump's 2016 campaign, and he has made the project a physical symbol of his presidency, touting its construction progress in speeches, ads and tweets. Trump has increasingly boasted to crowds in recent weeks about the superlative properties of the barrier, calling it "virtually impenetrable" and likening the structure to a "Rolls-Royce" that border-crossers cannot get over, under or through.
The smuggling crews have been using other techniques, such as building makeshift ladders to scale and overtop the barriers, especially in the popular smuggling areas in and around San Diego, according to nearly a dozen U.S. agents and current and former administration officials.

*Killmonger voice* Is this your Wall?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
"This is why we need 30 billion for the wall. The Democrats paid the smugglers to do this!" Etc etc...

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Naive question, sorry.. but isn't like 70% (I could have made that number up, I'm sure it's a high % though) of the USA / Mexico border unguarded and with no infrastructure in place, like a wall.... Why don't smugglers just go to a different part? Does the geography just not make that fesiable? Or do they just want to troll Trump?

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Naive question, sorry.. but isn't like 70% (I could have made that number up, I'm sure it's a high % though) of the USA / Mexico border unguarded and with no infrastructure in place, like a wall.... Why don't smugglers just go to a different part? Does the geography just not make that fesiable? Or do they just want to troll Trump?

This may have been done to prove a point that Trump is dumber that the steel slats on his precious fence.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This just means you bed lasers. A moat.

And fill that moat with sharks. With lasers. Sharks with lasers.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Penn and Teller did a pretty good segment on how walls don't work like 15 years ago that in a few minutes shows why these things will never work. Should be required viewing for any Trump voter.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thats hilarious. And also perfectly shows off the incompetence that they didn't even put up fucking cameras to protect their completely useless expensive "asset".

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
So proud that Our President has used millions of taxpayer dollars to secure our border against immigrants who would try to pierce our great wall with the usual tools: twigs, sporks, cactus, fingernails, etc. There's no accounting for the absolute madlads who would bring power tools. How could anyone predict such ingenuity?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Geography, most likely. And not necessarily stuff like deserts and mountains, although those are a factor. Also things like distance to a manned border crossing, distance to roads and towns, etc. Presumably they build fence at the best places to cross, and it's easier to get through the wall at the best place than go all the way around.

Because the fence isn't difficult to get through.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks to topography, Some sections of the border are easier to traverse than others. Likewise, some areas are easier for law enforcement to survey.

Previously, walls have been strategically placed, which allows authorities to focus attention to key areas. The logical places to put walls was likely already determined and acted upon long before Trump came into power.

The idea of Putting walls everywhere never made any sense, because its impossible to monitor and maintain its structural integrity, and it isn't much of a deterrent to the determined.

Smugglers want to use routes that are most efficient - where they can reliably get their product through without being caught. If a new wall doesn't dramatically reduce the efficiency of a preferred route, then smugglers aren't going to assume the costs/risks of finding/developing a new one. They'll just reopen the route with a sawzall. I doubt they have any real interest in trolling Trump.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
"But it's beautiful. Somebody told me the other day 'Sir, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Thank you, Sir'."

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Whoda thought this would happen? I mean besides everyone not named Donald Trump...

I'd bet even his staffers knew this was inevitable but they're such bootlickers they didn't want to upset Cheetolini.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Well there's only one option. The Wall 2! You have to vote Trump or the dems will just leave us all vulnerable to the hordes of rapists and murderers pouring through The Wall!

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
"There is nothing to do now but find hope in our children"

Children were told to 'build the wall' at White House Halloween party

The party, which took place inside the office building used by White House staff, included the families of executive-branch employees and VIP guests inside and outside government. Even though many of the attendees were members of President Trump's administration, not everyone thought the Halloween game was a treat.

"Horrified. We were horrified," said a person who was there and requested anonymity to avoid professional retaliation.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
A good saw zall with a fresh blade can cut through brass and copper easy, I'm not surprised at all

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I can't wait until years from now when we'll have novelty "Hole in the Wall" bars and restaurants carved out of this fucking thing.

Zenner

Nov 20, 2017
I bet you could just pop in a car-jack sideways, and push those super-tall bollards apart with a few hefty twists.