• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
EzoJGTt.png

• Genre: RPG, Dungeon Crawl, Grind for Loot
  • Platform: Nintendo Switch
  • Release Date
    • WW: Feb 14, 2020
    • JP: April 12, 2018
  • Planned, Produced, & Published: Level-5
  • Price: $50 USD
Information
Snack World is the long-awaited (long, long, long, long awaited and teased) latest release from Level-5. You know them from releases such as Professor Layton, Yokai Watch, and Fantasy Life.
This game sees you taking on the role of a hero new to the town of Tutti-Frutti. You will then traverse your way through various randomly-generated dungeons fulfilling quests, defeating bosses and goons, and collecting sweet, sweet loot. Basically, it's a grinding game. Have at it! Bring friends along for the local and online multiplayer!

F.A.Q.
Do the Japanese Jara and Snack toys work in this localized release?
No! It has been confirmed that the physical toys DO NOT WORK. Instead, the witch where you could scan the items each day lets you have a free gift once per day. Just like in the Japanese release, you will be earning crafting materials and I assume will have a chance at Jara and Snack drops. Also just like the Japanese release, most of the weapons in the game can be crafted or won from rare drops.

Does this game have multiplayer?
Yes! Both local and online, which requires a Nintendo Switch Online Membership. Up to four people can band together in a room and take on difficult dungeons together, strategizing the best way to decimate bosses and hopefully earning some righteous loot along the way. I do not predict this game will sell well at ALL due to the complete lack of promotion so if you want to team up with randoms it'd be best top explore that during release week as you can expect random rooms to be mostly nonexistent shortly after launch.

I REALLY loved Fantasy Life. Is this game like that?
Not reaaaaally. It's pretty charming in a parallel vein to what Fantasy Life was serving but the combat style is very different and it's really the only thing you do, unlike in Fantasy Life how you could try your hand at a variety of different tasks if you got bored of one combat style or crafting activity. Here it's just fight and fight and fight. The character customization and amount of quests is about the same, if not more in depth (and grindy!) though!

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
If I enjoy loot, dungeon crawler games, is this game worth it? How deep is the customization for the characters?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any weapon variety so that you feel like you are doing something different than your friends?

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any weapon variety so that you feel like you are doing something different than your friends?
This game is literally all about collecting a variety of weapons and combat items. I don't know exactly how many there are in total (over 200 items?) but it seems like a crazy amount of individual weapons. As for weapon types, there are Swords, Axes, Daggers, Spears, Wands, and Bows? Plus shields and two types of heal or buff potion like items. I don't think there's really a ton of individuality in the combat, but it works in a unique way (your weapons have a number of times they can be used before you need to switch weapons to continue doing damage and recharge the weapons you aren't using), you can easily trade off "roles" with your friends.

On top of all of that, there's a "brand" system, with unbranded (No Brand) weapons and items being incredibly common and more than a dozen other unique brands that have better stats and differing aesthetics but with rarer drop rates. There is an enticing amount of items to collect, even if you only like one or two brands.

There are also over 200 monsters (Snacks) that you can collect that you can choose to join your team while you're flying solo.

Dandy Crocodile did a really excellent write up about the game in another thread here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...arently-being-localized.107678/#post-19257534 - keeping in mind that they have gotten rid of both the toys to life and various charging aspects for the localization, this seems like very much a game that you'll love if you like this type of game and that you'll be lukewarm towards if you don't. I'm solidly in the first camp.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
This one seems like such an odd duck for Level-5 in that there seems to have been so little (or none) promotion for it and the western reviews are very middle-of-the-road. It doesn't look like a bad game. I wonder why it seems to have been just kinda leaked out the back door so to speak...?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm actually really in the mood for a grindy, hacky, slashy, looty game and this seems like it might fit the bill, and I love the look of it.

Kinda tempted to bite.

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted if I can find it cheap enough. Might be a nice time waster until Animal Crossing.
You can get it for roughly 41 dollars on Google Shopping with their promo code FEBSAVE10. A company called DeepDiscount is selling it for 45, but you might have to wait for their shipping seems slow

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up my copy and a copy for a friend. Can't wait to jump in, but my wife said she's stealing the Switch to play it tonight.

She's not much of a gamer, but she LOVED Fantasy Life on 3DS.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Just picked up my copy and a copy for a friend. Can't wait to jump in, but my wife said she's stealing the Switch to play it tonight.

She's not much of a gamer, but she LOVED Fantasy Life on 3DS.
She will be disappointed, I think.
It is not that game, even a little.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This one seems like such an odd duck for Level-5 in that there seems to have been so little (or none) promotion for it and the western reviews are very middle-of-the-road. It doesn't look like a bad game. I wonder why it seems to have been just kinda leaked out the back door so to speak...?
Because Level 5 has no idea how to run a business.

At least the Ni No Kuni games were published here by Bandai Namco, who have at least some idea of how to promote a game.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
For a 3DS port performance in handheld mode is pretty bad. Dunno about docked, I only have a lite.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the last Level-5 game I buy not named Yokai Watch if I don't care for the combat. Their take on action combat in NNK2 and Busters both didn't work for me and this seems like a combination of them both with the energy meters on the weapons and otherwise simple hit hit hit combat of Busters.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the last Level-5 game I buy not named Yokai Watch if I don't care for the combat. Their take on action combat in NNK2 and Busters both didn't work for me and this seems like a combination of them both with the energy meters on the weapons and otherwise simple hit hit hit combat of Busters.
You're gonna hate this then! 😊

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just got this, and I'm having fun! I'll try to find out tips as I play and let you guys know to help out!

-Save those Pick-A-Pull Tickets till' the end of the current pull, if you can! You can try saving and using them, but unfortunately it seems like you can't save-scum, it'll give the same results. It might be that doing a quest resets it, as it seems you aren't the only one participating in it.

As you do quests, other NPC adventurers will "pull" on the Pick-A-Pull and use up all the prizes. There is a mystery gift you might get for pulling, and a Final Pull that you get if you grab the last possible prize. I reccomend saving before using tickets, and if you don't get what you want, reloading and trying again after a quest. Somebody reply to me if this works for you, as this is currently untested!

Once the last prize is pulled, it'll reset. So if you couldn't grab the crystal sword, you'll get another shot later!

Also, don't forget to sell the sellable loot if you feel a little poor, and cash in the special cards at the weapon shop to increase the size of their Jara inventory!

Pangya

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got this, and I'm having fun! I'll try to find out tips as I play and let you guys know to help out!

-Save those Pick-A-Pull Tickets till' the end of the current pull, if you can! You can try saving and using them, but unfortunately it seems like you can't save-scum, it'll give the same results. It might be that doing a quest resets it, as it seems you aren't the only one participating in it.

As you do quests, other NPC adventurers will "pull" on the Pick-A-Pull and use up all the prizes. There is a mystery gift you might get for pulling, and a Final Pull that you get if you grab the last possible prize. I reccomend saving before using tickets, and if you don't get what you want, reloading and trying again after a quest. Somebody reply to me if this works for you, as this is currently untested!

Once the last prize is pulled, it'll reset. So if you couldn't grab the crystal sword, you'll get another shot later!

Also, don't forget to sell the sellable loot if you feel a little poor, and cash in the special cards at the weapon shop to increase the size of their Jara inventory!

You can save before pulling Pick-A-Pull, then reload if you don't get something desirable. Completing a quest does seem to progress the pulls. I wonder why the fortune teller forces you to save, but Pick-A-Pull doesn't work the same way...

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You can save before pulling Pick-A-Pull, then reload if you don't get something desirable. Completing a quest does seem to progress the pulls. I wonder why the fortune teller forces you to save, but Pick-A-Pull doesn't work the same way...

Ahh, that's rad! I'm thinking, I've played very little so far, I'll try to grab the crystal sword in a restart, and I'll give you guys info about the general stats it gives, including the passives and abilities it rolls, it could be a fairly useful starting weapon!

Although, I heard that you don't actually Reset the pulls you make if you save and load, if you got 5th and 6th, that's what you'd get if you savescummed, that's why I suggested trying again after progressing the rolls after a quest. That way, you would get a new set of rolls to make, I assume?

Maybe that's incorrect, and you do get another shot?

Pangya

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, that's rad! I'm thinking, I've played very little so far, I'll try to grab the crystal sword in a restart, and I'll give you guys info about the general stats it gives, including the passives and abilities it rolls, it could be a fairly useful starting weapon!

Although, I heard that you don't actually Reset the pulls you make if you save and load, if you got 5th and 6th, that's what you'd get if you savescummed, that's why I suggested trying again after progressing the rolls after a quest. That way, you would get a new set of rolls to make, I assume?

Maybe that's incorrect, and you do get another shot?

The pulls you get remain the same until you complete a quest I saved like 5 coupons, then used them after each quest to see if I got a crystal sword or like a karma balm. I eventually got a crystal sword like 8 hours in or so, but with how the game works it won't be like a super OP weapon or anything. I wouldn't recommend trying to restart the game just to get it early.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The pulls you get remain the same until you complete a quest I saved like 5 coupons, then used them after each quest to see if I got a crystal sword or like a karma balm. I eventually got a crystal sword like 8 hours in or so, but with how the game works it won't be like a super OP weapon or anything. I wouldn't recommend trying to restart the game just to get it early.

Oh I know, I understand that you have to upgrade a weapon several times for it to become powerful, and that you need to have a variety of Jaras for different enemies, I just wanna try to grab one since I haven't gotten far yet.

At the very least, I can get started on making it into a powerful weapon, since you upgrade weapons with their copies. And if what you say is true, I can potentially keep pulling it to get the abilities and passives I want!

Pangya

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know, I understand that you have to upgrade a weapon several times for it to become powerful, and that you need to have a variety of Jaras for different enemies, I just wanna try to grab one since I haven't gotten far yet.

At the very least, I can get started on making it into a powerful weapon, since you upgrade weapons with their copies. And if what you say is true, I can potentially keep pulling it to get the abilities and passives I want!

I actually didn't reroll to see if passives and abilities change on the Crystal Sword when I got it. Will try it out next time I come across one.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Two questions

If you have the amiibo released only in JP, do they function at all in this version of the game (oh, wait those weren't real amiibo were they? Well they were NFC figures of the same concept)

and

In the past I couldn't get that intersted in games that revolve around exploring randomly generated dungeons. Is there enough other stuff in this game to grab you or is it mostly dungeon crawling

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to get it, but until I'm in a better place employment wise I'll have to hold off. Hopefully they didn't do a small print run.

Wait a second, is the cafe really called, "The Covfefe Cafe"?!?!?

snack6.jpg

636318142525378527-Trump.JPG

Like, it's funny, but like, why?

What a weird localization choice...
I saw a bit of the opening and the King mentions building a wall. Not sure if that was in the Japanese version.

Two questions

If you have the amiibo released only in JP, do they function at all in this version of the game (oh, wait those weren't real amiibo were they? Well they were NFC figures of the same concept)

and

In the past I couldn't get that intersted in games that revolve around exploring randomly generated dungeons. Is there enough other stuff in this game to grab you or is it mostly dungeon crawling

It's already confirmed that the Japanese toys do not work in the localization.

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like this game was localized by a team of gamergate shitheels, huh? It isn't wrecking my enjoyment since I'm sure there weren't any Trumpisms in the Japanese version, but sheesh. They sure do love to put bullshit like this (immigrants carry diseases! build the wall! covfefe cafe!) in and then scream endlessly to ban "politics" in games that feature any member of a frequently discriminated against group in a positive role, right?

Other than that, the game is fun. I won the secret prize on the draw which was a pretty cool axe, but I've only gotten three tickets so far. Don't forget to connect online to get an extra free ticket.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like this game was localized by a team of gamergate shitheels, huh? It isn't wrecking my enjoyment since I'm sure there weren't any Trumpisms in the Japanese version, but sheesh. They sure do love to put bullshit like this (immigrants carry diseases! build the wall! covfefe cafe!) in and then scream endlessly to ban "politics" in games that feature any member of an oppressed group in a positive role, right?

Other than that, the game is fun. I won the secret prize on the draw which was a pretty cool axe, but I've only gotten three tickets so far. Don't forget to connect online to get an extra free ticket.

You don't have to be "gamergate" to make jokes about the wall or "covfefe".
Besides, if they were behind it, they wouldn't have covered up the princess.

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to be "gamergate" to make jokes about the wall or "covfefe".
Besides, if they were behind it, they wouldn't have covered up the princess.
Let me ask you a couple of questions.
What kind of people make jokes about "building the wall" and "covfefe" and "immigrants carry diseases", in your experience?
Do you honestly think that the programming and art teams who chose to alter certain character appearances to avoid tangling with different ratings boards standards in other countries are the same people who translated the game and wrote the script for the localization?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of people make jokes about "building the wall" and "covfefe" and "immigrants carry diseases", in your experience?
Do you honestly think that the programming and art teams who chose to alter certain character appearances to avoid tangling with different ratings boards standards in other countries are the same people who translated the game and wrote the script for the localization?

I think this is a bit of a reach, the king is shown to be kind of a dummy and if anything I got the vibe that the localizers were progressive/liberal.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
"Ciderfella" definitely caused me to pause a bit and think about the localization. I'll see how it is further in, but there's definitely some jokes that aren't great.

Oct 28, 2017
"Ciderfella" definitely caused me to pause a bit and think about the localization. I'll see how it is further in, but there's definitely some jokes that aren't great.
Oh yeah, that made me leery of the localization when I saw it in the gamexplain preview. Let's change a woman character's name to indicate that she's actually a guy when she changes into a fairly standard looking set of fatigues? Seems kinda icky and possibly transphobic...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Uh... honestly? Liberals! Nobody who supports Trump cares about "covfefe", at least. It's the kind of inane shit people love to make fun of (just like "Drumpf") instead of uhhhh actually focusing on the absolutely atrocious things he believes/does. "Building the wall" is obviously closer to that, but is similarly joked about. Tiny hands, steak eating habits, etc. etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong. I saw that screenshot when I was looking at reviews and it sure made me wonder if this localization was actually going to be good, and I expect to end up talking about it on Twitter when I encounter it or anything similar. But that's because it's not an actual joke, not because I think they support Trump/GG. If it does twist that way I'll be angry myself (that possible transphobia sure might turn me right off from playing more!), but right now what annoys me is an attempt at humor with sub-pun levels of creativity.

In any case... I'm about to start it now myself. Probably gonna regret this purchase as I doubt I'll end up playing much of it after whatever I play this weekend regardless of the localization, but I ended up being interested enough to order it a few days ago. So... we'll see.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, the transphobia gets worse when you do a side quest related to that character! That sure is a whole lot of pronoun/title waffling going on for characters that supposedly support Ciderella/Ciderfella...

Sure, side quests are all totally optional, that's why when they're introduced, the game explicitly tells you to do them as much as you can because they give you Jara that the main boss of each chapter is weak against.

Facepalming all the way. I expected some innuendo and other "the adults in the room will get it" wordplay, sure. And the game delivers on those along with the kiddie "poop and farts are hilarious" humor. But whether they meant to support the current alt-right attitudes or just poke fun at them doesn't really matter in the end because going along with it for either reason... that's normalization.

That krapen time song...what the actual fuck
Sounds like I have an extra special... treat... coming soon.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Yeah, not feeling the vibe in reference to the shittiest person in America, hopefully this is something that isn't too rough as time goes on. I totally feel it can go either way, but the fact that it feels like that is a massive issue.

I mean, the princess is named Melonia, for gosh's sake, holy crap.

Regardless, I find that the third rate prize shouldn't be underestimated! It's the only thing that can be used to level up your luck trait, and that leads to improved rare item drops!

Also, try to keep a bunch of cash in hand, if you find the weapon merchant in a dungeon, you can find some expensive, rare equipment for sale! I saw a spear that absolutely destroys gold enemies, but I was too poor to get it! It was roughly 350 Bucks.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah I dunno, I'm giving some major sideye to Level 5 for allowing the localization to have so many references to current America. Like why the hell even include em, let alone allow the final product to ship like that?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Sigh, I was interested in the game, but if this is real I'll have to pass. I FOR SURE don't need more Trump in my life.
It's real. Don't get it if you don't want small references to the White-Nationalist in chief. I don't find these references at all appropriate either, but hopefully something can be done about it Post-release.

By the way, I found that you can't reset the passives and abilities of Jaras you gain from the Pick-A-Prize. Still good to get multiple copies, since that's how you actually improve them.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up being up late playing it, enjoying it as a podcast game if nothing else, which may keep me playing it at least a little longer than I expected. It is definitely pretty messy and the jaras feel way over complicated, but maybe that's partially because you'll replace things so quickly early on that it's hard to feel strategic about them currently.

And... so, the writing. The food puns clearly have a lot of love put into them, but that does just make all the extremely forced Trump references that much more bizarre and tiring.

You have to see this every time you join an online lobby and... why.

Also, they really do double down on the transphobic + homophobic stuff when they really could easily dodge at least the former even if the genies have inherent issues? Drop "Ciderfella" and just make other jokes about her change in character! It'd be easy! It feels like in both cases they were really patting themselves on the back over their handling when it's actually just gross!

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
The writing in this game absolutely sucks. I fast forwarded trough pretty much everything after I saw the cofveve 'joke'.