• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, maybe because I'm just looking at YT videos, but i'm kinda disappointed at the size of the park. It seems really small for the price and number of experiences you can participate in. It'll be a while before I decide to splurge on such a "adventure."
You kinda have to figure that there's an entire Disney amusement park with 4-5 other themed areas outside of Galaxy's Edge. The price you pay also covers that.

But yeah, I wish they had just made an entire park themed around Star Wars, so they could re-create multiple film locations. It would be so cool to have Hoth, Bespin, Endor, and Tatooine. Baatu just seems like a corny knockoff version of Mos Eisley. If they were going to push the sequel trilogy so hard I wish they had just done a re-creation of Maz's castle.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
LOL I said the same thing, I think the best review I heard for the milks were 1 person in a group of 4-5 say
"it was worth it to get once, its Star Wars "

I saw some website (WDWNT?) mix them togther like a parfait, and they thought that was actually good. Seems to be they bring out the best flavors in each other. They should get more creative with with Blue and Green milks and make different desserts like "ice cream". Even just offer a swirl.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to aee how much Galaxy's Edge will evolve over the next few years. I bet the Milks will get new recipes as I haven't seen a single good review.
What is wrong with the milks?

And more to the point, how could they screw up the milks? It seems like a no-brainer to just put some food coloring in soy or dairy milk.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

I did see that posted earlier, and I think it managed to convince me not to get it.

Getting the two sides screwed in perfectly aligned seems like it would be tricky and honestly his lightsaber was never my favorite from a design standpoint, it was just cool because it was double sided.

Now I just have to narrow down the 5 other legacy lightsabers (and a custom one) that I want. :/

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

And more to the point, how could they screw up the milks? It seems like a no-brainer to just put some food coloring in soy or dairy milk.

They are rice and coconut milk based. They are frozen drinks so people are not digging the texture. And the flavor is nothing special. Blue is fruity and Green is citrusy. They cost 7.99.

I don't even get it because the Blue Milk(shake) I had at DHS a few years back was a tasty blue raspberry flavor.

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
I heard they implemented a text system now so you can go sign up for cantina, then leave and come back. Wish they had done that opening day.
I can confirm the new text system and it was a much better experience to what you went through.

I went on the first and second. Glad I held off going to the cantina as it appears they learned from Friday/Saturday and adjusted accordingly.

As for the text set up it is similar to how restaurants manage a standby list. After the first group of people went in the cantina, the employees managing the line requested only one person of each party stay in line to put their name, phone number and party size down. Based on the experience being a 45 minute time slot, they were able to determine roughly how many more parties could participate until hitting the cap of the four hour reservation block.

The standby was great as then everyone in your party was able to enjoy the rest of GE instead of waiting in line for hours.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It'll be interesting to aee how much Galaxy's Edge will evolve over the next few years. I bet the Milks will get new recipes as I haven't seen a single good review. Wonder how soon they'll announce some expansion, probably the full service restaurant they originally planned.

Rise of the Resistance opens later in the fall, and they built the land with room behind Smuggler's Run for a third ride and they've talked about the possibility of a fourth.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
At 11:24 in the following video there are a couple guys with Anakin/Rey lightsabers that can change color on the fly. Is this a feature of the official lightsabers? Or do they just have some weird custom job made by a third party? I would probably be more likely to buy a Legacy saber if that's actually one of their features.

My guess is that those are fancy fan made lightsabers. I know for a fact that custom jobs can do everything shown in the video. I have most of the parts needed to make my own I'm just lazy and haven't put it together yet. But details about the legacy lightsabers have been strangely hard to come by so I can't totally discount the possibility that those are official ones.

Oct 25, 2017

They found a way I guess
Its plant based and apparently texture is the main issue and a lot saying it tastes "off".
I haven't seen a single good review of them.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At 11:24 in the following video there are a couple guys with Anakin/Rey lightsabers that can change color on the fly. Is this a feature of the official lightsabers? Or do they just have some weird custom job made by a third party? I would probably be more likely to buy a Legacy saber if that's actually one of their features.

The guy talking said that he made them by hand so I think they're CUSTOM custom.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing to point out about the entrance by Hungry Bear. We showed up about an hour early with a ton of other people.The cast members were shouting that there is no line and they will not let anyone in early and to come back at 1:45(our time slot was at 2). So we went and rode winnie the pooh and looked around the shop there. Then we came back at 1:45 and they had been letting people in for the last 20 minutes already. So do not listen to the employees who tell you to leave and come back.

They stop u after that entrance before the entrance to the land and then let u in right when ur time slot starts. It just puts u at the back of the pack if you arent there when they start letting people in the first entrance

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They originally had plans for a full table service restaurant(with entertainment and everything) that got cut,
probably the first expansion item.

starwarsrestaurant.0.jpg

Star-Wars-Dinner-Club-concept-art.jpg

Disney restaurants are typically always packed and on busy days can have long waits. Everyone at GE wants to go to the cantina so it was always doomed to be a mess and will always be that way for years to come. Another restaurant won't change much, many of the popular disney restaurants are pretty much reservation or you are SOL unless you want to wait an hr or more in the sun.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy talking said that he made them by hand so I think they're CUSTOM custom.
I wasn't sure if he was just playing around when he said "Oh he made them with his Jedi skills" or whatever. They ignite exactly like the Legacy ones, with the light slowly traveling up from the base.....so that's what gave me pause.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't sure if he was just playing around when he said "Oh he made them with his Jedi skills" or whatever. They ignite exactly like the Legacy ones, with the light slowly traveling up from the base.....so that's what gave me pause.
I think custom lightsabers (pre Galaxy's Edge) did do the light up thing just like the current Disney ones are doing now.

I had a friend in high school (like 13-15 years ago at this point, Jesus) who got an expensive lightsaber that did that.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to point out about the entrance by Hungry Bear. We showed up about an hour early with a ton of other people.The cast members were shouting that there is no line and they will not let anyone in early and to come back at 1:45(our time slot was at 2). So we went and rode winnie the pooh and looked around the shop there. Then we came back at 1:45 and they had been letting people in for the last 20 minutes already. So do not listen to the employees who tell you to leave and come back.

They stop u after that entrance before the entrance to the land and then let u in right when ur time slot starts. It just puts u at the back of the pack if you arent there when they start letting people in the first entrance
Which entrance is the least crowded?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think custom lightsabers (pre Galaxy's Edge) did do the light up thing just like the current Disney ones are doing now.

I had a friend in high school (like 13-15 years ago at this point, Jesus) who got an expensive lightsaber that did that.

I'm not really familiar with all of the options out there, but I've seen that multi-color option from Saberforge.
It adds $200 to the price, though. Yikes. And you're already looking at $450 for a saber with electronics comparable to the Disney ones.
But they do offer a Luke RotJ saber that looks accurate with the blade on.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
That MF ride looks pretty disappointing. Was hoping you could actually jump in the turrets, instead of what looks like mashing a button?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not digging the droid or lightsaber building deals.

I think my money will be going to ceramic tiki mugs from Oga's cantina and a DJ R3X droid.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
The kyber crystals turned out to be way more complex than I was expecting. I grabbed one of every color that they had: Red, blue, green, yellow, white, purple.

After I left that store I found out that there is a super rare black kyber crystal hidden in the red ones. Its supposed to be random but people are cheating by using their phone flashlights and shining them through the tube. Not sure if true, but read the black ones are 1 out of 100 and they get about 5 a day total.

And then in addition found that each crystal has multiple different character possibilities. For example my red crystal when put into my sith holocron gives me Vader voice lines. There are other cuts of the red crystal that give Dooku or Darth Maul.

If you are just buying a sith holocron I would recommend just getting a red kyber and one other color, its the only one that can be different. Every single other crystal will just give u the same emperor voice lines over and over. Red is the only one that can be different. And the black kyber is a snoke voice line in the sith holocron.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really familiar with all of the options out there, but I've seen that multi-color option from Saberforge.
It adds $200 to the price, though. Yikes. And you're already looking at $450 for a saber with electronics comparable to the Disney ones.
But they do offer a Luke RotJ saber that looks accurate with the blade on.
Those companies build combat-rated sabers, so it's a slightly different deal. The ones from Disney are not going to be able to take much of a beating. I am kinda surprised that there is such a big market for people that actually want to fight with the sabers though.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
The kyber crystals turned out to be way more complex than I was expecting. I grabbed one of every color that they had: Red, blue, green, yellow, white, purple.

After I left that store I found out that there is a super rare black kyber crystal hidden in the red ones. Its supposed to be random but people are cheating by using their phone flashlights and shining them through the tube. Not sure if true, but read the black ones are 1 out of 100 and they get about 5 a day total.

And then in addition found that each crystal has multiple different character possibilities. For example my red crystal when put into my sith holocron gives me Vader voice lines. There are other cuts of the red crystal that give Dooku or Darth Maul.

If you are just buying a sith holocron I would recommend just getting a red kyber and one other color, its the only one that can be different. Every single other crystal will just give u the same emperor voice lines over and over. Red is the only one that can be different. And the black kyber is a snoke voice line in the sith holocron.

How much is each additional crystal?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Those companies build combat-rated sabers, so it's a slightly different deal. The ones from Disney are not going to be able to take much of a beating. I am kinda surprised that there is such a big market for people that actually want to fight with the sabers though.

Even on the low end, for the same price you can get a great lightsaber that is also like 4 times as bright, and stronger blade than the disney park ones. Saberforge is on the high end and full custom options are crazy. But almost all the other lightsaber makers like Ultrasaber, Vaders Vault, etc produce some quality stuff.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
That is pretty clever! I blame Disney if the tubes are able to be gamed this way.

It would definitely work, I tried it on my red one and it shines right through. The black one also has a tiny paper scroll in it telling you about the black kyber and what it is. It would be super easy to spot. I really wish I knew because when I was in there, there was a cast member with a ziplock bag filled with them restocking the shelf lol.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if white is Ahsoka...if anyone e could confirm this for me I'd be grateful

Overall do you feel the saver was worth it?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if white is Ahsoka...if anyone e could confirm this for me I'd be grateful

Overall do you feel the saver was worth it?

I tried my white on my brothers jedi holocron and it was Chirrut from rogue one. The other variant of white is ahsoka though, I saw a video of it on youtube. I honestly wish I got a jedi holocron instead, it has so many more characters and possibilities.

Here is the ahsoka one:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even on the low end, for the same price you can get a great lightsaber that is also like 4 times as bright, and stronger blade than the disney park ones. Saberforge is on the high end and full custom options are crazy. But almost all the other lightsaber makers like Ultrasaber, Vaders Vault, etc produce some quality stuff.
A lot of look-alikes, but none of them seem to make really exact replicas of the film sabers -- maybe it's a copyright issue? I'm not sure if this stuff is actually licensed or not. They seem to be pretty careful about not actually referencing Star Wars.....like the sabers meant to look like Luke's or Anakin's are just called stuff like "Hero" or "Chosen One" or whatever.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I was only looking at them because the official merch can't get my favorite saber right.

Picked up a Legacy Obi-Wan lightsaber as it's the only one I've ever wanted. Felt really good in hand and got the 36" blade. Also, dropped cash for a Jedi robe and tunic.

The Blue Bantha at Oga's Cantina is similar tasting but smoother than the blue milk from the Milk Stand, which is more like a smoothie. The Blue Bantha texture would be like standard milk.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Went on June 1st and it was amazing, besides the cantina. The whole experience with the cantina was terribly done. There was a very small line for it and they would cut it off and tell people to come back when its open. This caused a very large group of people to just stand off to the side waiting for the cast member to flip up the green flag for the line to open again. People pushed and shoved other people to run across the walkway and get in line before they closed it again. It took over an hour and a half for my group to just get inside. Then once in, our waiter seemed confused and dazed at everything happening. He never brought out our food item and took like 25 minutes to bring out our drinks. He also got our whole parties gift cards mixed up in the back and literally came out and told us he didnt know what to do and if we could figure it out.

The whole cantina took over half of our 4 hours. Our party had to split up and leave people waiting in the cantina for the souvenir cups and some of us went to Dok Ondars to pick up holocrons. If we hadnt of split up, we would not have even come close to doing everything we wanted to. With 1 hour left we were finished with both and hadnt even gone on the ride yet. So we lined up for the ride(the next time slot was already in at this point), and the line was over an hour. So we finished the ride and had to leave. The cantina ruined pretty much all plans. I heard they implemented a text system now so you can go sign up for cantina, then leave and come back. Wish they had done that opening day.

Oh wow. This might change our plans significantly then if they don't rework how to get into the Cantina.
So, you all's time ran out while you were in line for the Smuggler/Falcon ride? So as long as you get in line for the ride before your 4 hours runs out, they'll let you ride it and stay in line?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow. This might change our plans significantly then if they don't rework how to get into the Cantina.
So, you all's time ran out while you were in line for the Smuggler/Falcon ride? So as long as you get in line for the ride before your 4 hours runs out, they'll let you ride it and stay in line?

Someone earlier confirmed they switched to the text system. So you go there give them ur number and come back when they text you. Should make it all smoother. For the ride, they mark your wrist band when you go through the line. If you have not been on it once they let you go over your time to be able to ride it in the last hour. If you have a mark, I don't think they let you in line if the line would go over your time allotment.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think the lore of this park has any effect on the films? Like, the lightsaber build shop implies that a bunch of new Jedi are rising every day.

I wouldn't think so, but who knows. Also if the builders aren't Force sensitive, how can they hear Master Yoda?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we think the lore of this park has any effect on the films? Like, the lightsaber build shop implies that a bunch of new Jedi are rising every day.

I wouldn't think so, but who knows. Also if the builders aren't Force sensitive, how can they hear Master Yoda?

We've already seen two normal people use a lightsaber just in the movies.
Also, Luke successfully called to Leia before she was planned to be force sensitive or his sister.

Had no issues today at Oga's Cantina - they just took a bit to get our food & drinks to us. It's recommended to order both drinks (2 drink maximum) and anything else you want as soon as the server arrives due to the 45 minute time limit per party.

As for Smuggler's Run, my friend and I basically walked on as it was a 15 minute wait after we were done with Oga's. The main attractions that had massive lines for today (June 3rd) were: build your own lightsaber (allotment for the 8am-12pm block were long gone by 9am), build your own droid (steady line), Oga's Cantina (the reservation system is actually fair and they do text you when your reservations ready) & Smuggler's Run (everyone basically rushed to that as soon as we were let in but the wait lessened over time).

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Part of my general issue with the park is it just seems to be weirdly bolting-on canon like this. Why is there a group of people selling/building lightsabers? Why is Yoda talking to them? If we're going to bring Yoda into this, wouldn't it have been cooler to see him as a force ghost? I'm not sure if I want Rise of Skywalker to somehow explain or justify this stuff.....or if that would just feel kinda hokey and cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised though if some things in the park are being held back right now because they would be Rise of Skywalker spoilers. I suspect that Rise of the Resistance ties in heavily to the next film, which is why it's not yet open either.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Part of my general issue with the park is it just seems to be weirdly bolting-on canon like this. Why is there a group of people selling/building lightsabers? Why is Yoda talking to them? If we're going to bring Yoda into this, wouldn't it have been cooler to see him as a force ghost? I'm not sure if I want Rise of Skywalker to somehow explain or justify this stuff.....or if that would just feel kinda hokey and cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised though if some things in the park are being held back right now because they would be Rise of Skywalker spoilers. I suspect that Rise of the Resistance ties in heavily to the next film, which is why it's not yet open either.

Yeah, like why are these non-Force Sensitives so adept at building and selling lightsabers to Force Sensitives who should intuitively know how to put together a lightsaber? The lore is screwy and can't be reconciled. And, if they are selling lightsabers, like selling it lore-wise, why the fuck would Yoda speak to some assholes who bought a saber instead of building one themself?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like why are these non-Force Sensitives so adept at building and selling lightsabers to Force Sensitives who should intuitively know how to put together a lightsaber? The lore is screwy and can't be reconciled. And, if they are selling lightsabers, like selling it lore-wise, why the fuck would Yoda speak to some assholes who bought a saber instead of building one themself?
You kinda have to suspend disbelief concerning lore for any amusement park attraction, which is why Lucasfilm's "everything is canon now" attitude just sorta breaks things here.

It really just feels like somebody at Disney just saw the wand ceremony at Wizarding World and demanded that they do something like that with lightsabers. Which is why I'm not really sure if I even want the films to try and explain/justify this......because at that point the creative team on the movies is having to make weird compromises just to help sell amusement park tickets and merchandise.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Someone earlier confirmed they switched to the text system. So you go there give them ur number and come back when they text you. Should make it all smoother. For the ride, they mark your wrist band when you go through the line. If you have not been on it once they let you go over your time to be able to ride it in the last hour. If you have a mark, I don't think they let you in line if the line would go over your time allotment.

Yeah, whew, saw the above posts that they fixed the Cantina line with the text thing. Sorry that you all had such a rough experience with it :(

Hmmm, so basically they have a time estimate on how long they think the ride will take given the line, and give your wrist band a mark if they think you'll make it within or close enough to your 4 hour limit? And they let you ride if you have that mark over your time, if I'm understanding that correctly?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You kinda have to suspend disbelief concerning lore for any amusement park attraction, which is why Lucasfilm's "everything is canon now" attitude just sorta breaks things here.

It really just feels like somebody at Disney just saw the wand ceremony at Wizarding World and demanded that they do something like that with lightsabers. Which is why I'm not really sure if I even want the films to try and explain/justify this......because at that point the creative team on the movies is having to make weird compromises just to help sell amusement park tickets and merchandise.

Exactly, that's my problem. I'd be fine if it was just park-bullshit lore. But, this is official canon according to Disney.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Aren't they having problems getting the ride vehicles to work?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, whew, saw the above posts that they fixed the Cantina line with the text thing. Sorry that you all had such a rough experience with it :(

Hmmm, so basically they have a time estimate on how long they think the ride will take given the line, and give your wrist band a mark if they think you'll make it within or close enough to your 4 hour limit? And they let you ride if you have that mark over your time, if I'm understanding that correctly?

Basically the mark is to let them know you have already ridden it once before. So say I ride it once and get a mark. I then try to go back 10 minutes before my time slot is over and the line is 30 minutes long. They wouldn't let me in.

If I did not have a mark, they would let me in.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't know, maybe because I'm just looking at YT videos, but i'm kinda disappointed at the size of the park. It seems really small for the price and number of experiences you can participate in. It'll be a while before I decide to splurge on such a "adventure."

Disneyland is a small park.

Anyways I hope the cantina issues are worked out by next March

You can see the wait time for Smuggler's Run in the official Disney App but they also offer single rider aside from just standby. They do mark your wristband as soon as you enter the ride but my friend and I were happy to go on just the 1 time today. The mark simply indicates that you've been on the ride.

Because Smuggler's Run is interactive, the ride takes as long as how good your team is. If you're paired up with good people who can understand true pilot controls and have fast reflexes, the ride takes a good 10 minutes at least. It's teams of 6: 2 pilots, 2 gunners & 2 engineers.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Should have just made it a back room arms dealer selling found lightsabers. I get they want to make a show out of it to get people to buy the lightsabers, and they would never sell any replica blasters but I don't know. I'm with you on it feeling forced.