• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sony what is going on?

Granted there is SNES compatibility issues with PS1 but a SNES classic can be tweaked. It's amazing how a system that is less powerful is able to give smoother performance than an official device by Sony.

This video is inaccurate. I've done the numbers on the PSC. It does not run *THAT* poorly. It's bad but there's something wrong with this guy's captures. Those initial flybys don't run that poorly.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Something looks wrong about that PS1 Classic footage. RR Type 4 definitely doesn't run well, but that video seems to show something worse than what I've seen out of retail units.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say that the PS1 Classic has the potential to emulate anything better than the SNES Classic due to its specs, but then again it might never do so because its hardware is not as well supported by most widely used emulation software.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good god what an embarrassing effort from Sony

shame too because a properly priced PS1 Classic with actual good emulation and an actual good library of games would have been really neat

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Sony could've capitalized on my nostalgia so hard, like legit even at 150+ dollars. I still have and laugh at a picture of fat kid me in a NJ Devils Starter jersey triumphantly holding a PSX on Christmas and I wouldn't even touch this thing with 30 dollars attached to a pole. That's how tragic the classic is.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This video is inaccurate. I've done the numbers on the PSC. It does not run *THAT* poorly. It's bad but there's something wrong with this guy's captures. Those initial flybys don't run that poorly.
Shocking, another misleading PS Classic thread.

Not that it's perfect by any means, but the internet loves to pile on.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shocking, another misleading PS Classic thread.

Not that it's perfect by any means, but the internet loves to pile on.

The stock PS Classic runs games substantially worse than they did on the original PS1.

Do you think DR Retro's video was misleading?

The Playstation Classic isn't an internet-connected device, is it?

How are they going to "fix" this?

Well hopefully the hacking community ports libretro and/or optimizes one of the other ReARMed ports for this platform.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The stock PS Classic runs games substantially worse than they did on the original PS1.

I don't think he's saying that. It does run worse but the video this guy (from the OP) made comparing to the SNES Classic is making it look a lot worse than it is which I think is kinda unfair.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think he's saying that. It does run worse but the video this guy (from the OP) made comparing to the SNES Classic is making it look a lot worse than it is which I think is kinda unfair.
Yes, what Dark1x said. I'm agreeing with him that this video is misleading. I respect Dark's work a lot, not so much this video though. Or the tweet from last week that the Classic included 36 unadvertised games on it. People just post whatever uninformed crap they want and people believe it because "lol, PSC sucks."

Again, I know the system has issues, but we don't need to make new ones up.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Agreed that doctored video is unfair.

Your own NeGcon ranking was a little harsh too ;)

Your analysis was spot on though.

Here's to hoping that all the performance issues get addressed with community emulator revision.