• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Original Release Info:

Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: October 4, 1991 (JP), November 28, 1991 (US), December 10, 1992 (EU)

0124syw.png

039xsmy.png

02nxswe.jpg

Fun Facts:
Sardius, the final boss, was named Samael in The Japanese version. In Hebrew, Samael means "venom of God" or "poison of God". In Jewish lore, Samael is the archangel of death. The name change was likely a result of Nintendo's anti-religious reference policy at the time.

Schedule:
For the next two weeks from December 1st to December 15th, we'll be logging our progress on Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. Please share your comments regarding your favorite aspects about the game.

For those that did not finish their Super Ghouls n' Ghost challenges by December 15th may still continue to attempt them as there is no strict deadline, however the focus of discussion will move on to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

As for the previous game challenges? F-Zero still continues. You can still report your challenges in it's own thread here -https://www.resetera.com/threads/snes-classic-club-era-edition-f-zero.6346

Your challenges for this game are:
  1. Beat Stage 4, the halfway point of the game.

2. Get to the end of Loop 1.

3. Unlock the True Final Stage on Loop 2 and beat the game.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good excuse for me to try to beat loop 2 in this again, it has been many years since I last did. Hopefully can find some time between finishing up the F-Zero challenges and Xenoblade 2 for Super Ghouls n' Ghosts!

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Due to the extreme difficulty of this game. I think it's fair to point out that any runs using suspend points / save states is acceptable. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of the most challenging games made. Just beating the first loop is a challenge in of itself. Getting to the 2nd loop which is even more harder than the first one and getting the appropriate weapon necessary to unlock the final stage more than enough that no special challenge above and beyond is necessary. Just getting the true end is good enough in of itself.

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
I'm glad I hacked my mini so I can use a controller button combo to get to the Suspend menu, not sure if the reset button would survive all the Suspend Point abuse ;)

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Love this game so much. I can't count how many times I've beaten it back in the day.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Heh, I really need to give a go at all of this while I'm home for break. Already beat smw. Say is there a main thread for this?

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Started this morning, and hoo boy is this game ever tough. Spent the better part of a half hour just dying over and over during the first level. Nevertheless I will persist!

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Managed to get about halfway through Stage 3 w/o Suspend Points. That's where the first Red Gargoyle shows up...what a nuisance.

My friend had this game and a) he was much better at it than I was and b) I remember never getting very far. Playing it now though it seems like credits are pretty much unlimited? At least on Beginner + 9 lives you can earn a new credit with the lives the previous credit gave you quite easily.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My first owned SNES game post Christmas '91.

One of the games I got on Christmas, F-Zero, was a game I played into the ground at a friend's house, so my dad took me to whatever department store electronics section he bought it at and I got to trade it out for another game.

I chose Super Ghouls & Ghosts for two reasons: #1. It looked incredible. Being a new SNES owner I was in pure 'graphics whore' mode, so I was thirsty for this (never played the Genesis version). #2. Ghosts & Goblins was the first game my siblings and I ever had on the NES, so I figured "FOR TRADITION!".

Game lived up to its NES predecessor. Fucker was hard. Don't think I ever passed the third stage without the aid of a Game Genie years later.
Admittedly I had a bit of buyers remorse, but that feeling washed away in Feb when my mom bought me Final Fantasy II due to good grades. :D

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, I plan to give it a go neit Friday! But I'm definitely using save states

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Up to stage 6 but I definitely have to use save states and I'm definitely using it for loop 2 to get the weapon. A restriction I set for myself is that I have to get through a given segment without dying - I'm using save states to retain lives and armor and temporary save states to practice tricky jumps.

It's damn hard but it's definitely way more up my alley than F-Zero, I'm loving it. It's kinda hilarious how short it is if you sum up only the segments where you succeed, an exemplary retro game that's tough as nails to make up for relatively short length.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It's kinda hilarious how short it is if you sum up only the segments where you succeed, an exemplary retro game that's tough as nails to make up for relatively short length.

It was one of those holdovers of the Arcade era in which developers make games excessively difficult for the case of drawing more quarters into the machine. Considering that Ghouls and Ghosts and it's predecessor Ghost and Goblins were initially Coin-Op Arcade machine games, the means of excessive difficulty for the sake making players put more money into the machine to continue and resume with that loop makes sense.

It's just some early console releases retained this style of difficulty even though the loop of needing to feed quarters into the machine to continue playing to overcome the harsh difficulty no longer applied.

But Daimakaimura as a whole is just a difficult series in general. Even years after the arcade scene dwindled the style of super punishing difficulty remains still in even the PSP release Ultimate Ghost and Goblins.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got to stage 2! Thank you, save scumming.

EDIT: Stage 3!

Last edited:

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Made the first goal w/o Suspend Points! (full disclosure: I used an SP to resume from where I left off yesterday, but that's it) Actually up to Stage 6 now. And even though I died a lot I'm still at the max credits of 9 since you keep earning them fast enough. Unfortunately in Stage 6 there are two Red Gargoyles and I've hit a bit of a wall. Since they are right at the start I can't really earn points so I might finally start dipping into my credit reserves, I'll see how far I can go. Happy with Goal #1 no SP at least.

SGnG Goal #1 proof

Edit:
Managed to finish loop 1 / goal 2 as well. I ran out of time the first time I got to the final boss lol. Used the strat in this video to get past those gargoyles in Stage 6.

SGnG Goal #2 proof

Overall the game is harsh but fair (except for the Red Gargoyles, look at this asshole just hanging around out of bounds, spawning projectiles and looking all smug...). At least there are checkpoints! Also I find it funny how the boss fights are really easy compared to the actual stage :)

LFo2NYL.png

Want a shelf? Contact OmegaDL50 or me to get access to the generator and customize your own!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm considering doing Loop 2 but I really like my current weapon. Can I keep my weapon and pick up the
Goddess Bracelet
on the last level before the boss?

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm considering doing Loop 2 but I really like my current weapon. Can I keep my weapon and pick up the
Goddess Bracelet
on the last level before the boss?

I'll answer my own question, the answer is yes! How do I know this? I beat Loop 2!

Loop 1 Proof :
l9l6Yqul.jpg

Loop 2 Proof :
j9MARlZl.jpg

I didn't think I'd do it but I stuck to it and did it! My favorite weapon was the knife with gold armor. The dragon attack leaves you invincible just long enough to get out of some really sticky situations. Fun game, enjoyed my time with this one.

SNES Game Shelf :
abU5Gnj.png

P.S.: Why is there a code under the Princess's name?
0UxpF00l.jpg

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat loop 1!

Thought I was doing pretty well and would only beat the first goal today but then I just steamrolled the rest of Loop 1.

The back half of this game is very interesting in how short it is - as opposed to how long those first few grueling stages are. They also seemed much easier. The enemies were usually less mobile (besides those damn red gargoyles), and I felt like the jumps actually got easier too. The stages were still interesting, but just more compact. It almost feels backwards somehow, in giving you easier stages last. Or at least that was my experience.

I really like the mechanics of this game too: the magic suit, the different weapons, the rigid classic Castlevania-style jumping. There's a lot going on here. I just wish it wasn't so incredibly punishing.

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Nice work guys!

My favorite weapon was the knife with gold armor. The dragon attack leaves you invincible just long enough to get out of some really sticky situations. Fun game, enjoyed my time with this one.
Yes the dagger is my favorite as well. Sometimes I pick up a different weapon by accident and that is a few lives lost right there (you keep your shit weapon on death) until I get the dagger back. Especially the Tri-Blade, what were they thinking?

The dragon attack is also excellent for killing Red Gargoyles, just have them positioned at the edge of the screen and let loose.

The back half of this game is very interesting in how short it is - as opposed to how long those first few grueling stages are. They also seemed much easier. The enemies were usually less mobile (besides those damn red gargoyles), and I felt like the jumps actually got easier too. The stages were still interesting, but just more compact. It almost feels backwards somehow, in giving you easier stages last. Or at least that was my experience. .
Agreed, Stage 6 feels like its 3 screens long or something :) I'd say when you beat stage 4 aka Goal #1 you are good to go for the rest of the goals if you hang in there.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work guys!

Yes the dagger is my favorite as well. Sometimes I pick up a different weapon by accident and that is a few lives lost right there (you keep your shit weapon on death) until I get the dagger back. Especially the Tri-Blade, what were they thinking?

The dragon attack is also excellent for killing Red Gargoyles, just have them positioned at the edge of the screen and let loose.

Agreed, Stage 6 feels like its 3 screens long or something :) I'd say when you beat stage 4 aka Goal #1 you are good to go for the rest of the goals if you hang in there.

Yeah, that was about where the turning point was. I think it was stage 4 with the crazy turning floors that was the final really grueling one. Everything else was a cakewalk in comparison to that first half. I really wonder what the thought process was on making the first stage so incredibly difficult and long and then just easing up later on. Even if you think about it in terms of quarters in an arcade machine, it still seems backwards. The coffins rising out of the graves and the fire serpent things look cool, but they make that first stage really complicated. Maybe it's just Rule of Cool in effect?

And hell yeah to the dragon attack. Killed a few bosses that way, including #7. You can just camp out in the lower portion of the room and he can't even really hit you. Then just launch dragons at the poor guy.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was fun

I certainly agree that the second half of the game is much easier. Honestly, stage 1 and stage 3 are certainly the hardest in the game, with stage 2-1 requiring some very precise movement between ghosts spawns, especially in second loop. Ice Forest is surprisingly easy, stage 6 is very short and stage 7's hardest challenge is the timer since the boss is such a huge damage sink. OK, I did use save points to help me during my playthrough, but the difference between the first half and the second is massive. Honestly, I didn't even find Goddess Bracelet that much of a hindrance until the stage 6 and 7 bosses, where the range was a nuisance. Also, the final boss is possibly the second easiest in the game when you nail down the safe zone between the lasers, beaten only by the bizarrely easy stage 3 boss.

FuYAXwd.jpg

Anyone ever figure out what the closing credits code means next to Princess Prin Prin? (B88 etc)

P.S.: Why is there a code under the Princess's name?
0UxpF00l.jpg

I believe these are meant to be her dimensions.... yeah.....

I really like the mechanics of this game too: the magic suit, the different weapons, the rigid classic Castlevania-style jumping. There's a lot going on here. I just wish it wasn't so incredibly punishing.

I certainly agree with this one, the rigid jumping has this retro feel to it and it's very limiting and punishing, but at the same time very fair since the game is designed around it. Makes for some annoying moments where you screw up the jump due to no way to correct it after the fact, but it never feels like it's the game's fault.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That ended up being a very interesting game.

ad3FJcf.jpg

The only difference I could see on the second run was that in Stage 4 there were a shit ton more of those floating axe goblin things. Which made that stage by far the hardest of the second run. The relative easiness of that back half of the game was definitely more obvious this time around, as I did the entire second run in one sitting, save for the very first stage. Stage 6 in particular is hilariously easy, especially for the magic dagger dragon. The Bracelet that's required definitely doesn't match up to that thing, for the invincibility frames alone. Made the Stage 7 boss harder too.

That final boss is really bizarre. Once you figure out the laser pattern its incredibly easy to avoid damage. If you stand under him slightly off center, he has no hope of damaging you at all unless you jump into his line of fire. I think the "real" final boss is that Stage 7 one with the Bracelet, and the final boss is just a celebratory bout more than anything else. Viewing it in that context, it's a cool way to celebrate how far you've come - here's the big bad evil you had to slog through the game twice to meet, and you know your shit so well that he doesn't stand a chance.

I thought I was going to hate that game, but I actually found it interesting and enjoyable. Yeah I was playing it on Easy and save scumming, and I probably won't ever play it again, but I'm glad I played it in a way that cut down on its arcade trappings that I otherwise avoid. Looking forward to a game I know much better - ALttP!

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
And done! I really enjoyed replaying SGnG and have newfound appreciation for it. Great visuals, music, tight controls and fun gameplay mechanics, I even enjoyed the challenge and thought it was just about right difficulty wise. Managed all the way up to Loop 2 final boss Stage 7 w/o Suspend Points, but finally caved and made an SP just before the boss.

Whereas all the other bosses are pushovers even in underwear, I really needed the Gold Armor here for the extra range with the Bracelet and getting the Gold and keeping it throughout Stage 7 is quite a nuisance, especially when you swap out your bracelet a couple of times by falling onto weapon drops...sigh ;) The time limit being a factor when fighting the boss also caused me to be more reckless than otherwise and I quickly lost my Gold Armor multiple times when I got to the boss. I might revisit it later on and try to clear the stage properly.

Anyway, happy to have that beautiful gold armor Arthur figurine! In-game I had the gold armor for maybe 2% of my run (both times for the final boss Stage 7) so now I can finally enjoy it ;) I have an uncanny ability to lose my armor within about three steps every. damn. time. and then end up beating the stage in my underwear...

SGnG Goal3 Proof

XOpVTBu.png

Want a shelf? Contact OmegaDL50 or me to get access to the generator and customize your own!

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Gave Loop 2 Stage 7 another go today. Learned some stuff along the way, like that you don't need to open a chest for the next chest to have the correct item. This way I could spawn the weapon chest at the start and not risk picking it up by accident but still be assured of the Bronze + Gold Armor spawns later. After obtaining Gold Armor consistently I noticed that Gold + Bracelet can destroy the fireballs from the bird heads so that part became much safer.

But the biggest help was realizing that you can just double-jump up to the next platform in the mimic + ghost section. Before that I was waiting to kill the mimics and would get surrounded by ghosts, lost many gold armors there. Much easier, safer and faster.

Anyway, beat the boss properly this time. First phase gave me a poor pattern where I couldn't do much damage so was really expecting to run out of time. But luckily I managed to kill it with 0:20 to spare. Even kept my gold armor and defeated the final boss with it.

Total time with all deaths/continues about 5.5 hours.

gameburke

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing we can use save points for these challenges. I went in thinking I wouldn't use save points unless it got really bad, and things ended up going really bad. I used a ton of save points. But I'm glad I could see the whole game.
https://i.imgur.com/aIklMQP.jpg

I didn't like it very much. The platforming is pretty bad and unforgiving. Some jumps you have to make don't fit your natural jump length, so you have to start earlier than you'd think, or make the first jump go really low or something weird and correct with the second jump. That red gargoyle? He's the worst. I guess if you grinded this game a million times when you were younger you'd learn all the patterns and learn step for step what you need to do. But since the levels are so unforgiving, you get hit twice or fall and its over, and the checkpoints are almost non-existent, it would take a lot of lives and game overs to learn it all without save states. Going through the second time though I could feel I learned pieces of it.

Zelda will be a breath of fresh air after this.
kJ8fFBEl.png

Ronik

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I've cleared all three challenges,albeit with a copious amount of savestates. I played through the first loop using the crossbow, so I've decided to change things up for the second one and only use the bracelet, which turned out to be a pretty bad weapon and made several parts of the game a few magnitudes harder, especially the goddamn red devils.

Pretty good game overall. I do agree I would probably like it more if it was a bit easier, but the difficulty didn't really feel unfair most of the time. I also agree the second half of the game was much easier than the first three levels. The first level was probably the hardest for me (even on the second loop), followed by the second one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, got past the first boss, still have long way to go, what's the recommended weapon to keep?

Blargg

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Lava Stream
Ok, got past the first boss, still have long way to go, what's the recommended weapon to keep?

I'll quote these wise gentlemen:
My favorite weapon was the knife with gold armor. The dragon attack leaves you invincible just long enough to get out of some really sticky situations.

Yes the dagger is my favorite as well. [..]

;)

Get the dagger / knife and use until Loop 2 Stage 7 where you swap it for the bracelet.