• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Game works fine without a preset ID, albeit no HiRes text.

Giving it that preset ID causes the game to crash back to the main menu with a C7 error.

EDIT: I tried 1610 and it works, however content that has HiRes text has a super bright gamma.

I suppose this is an acceptable alternative rather than near unreadable menus.

You may be using a different rom then me. But yes, the unreadable text is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure that the preset ID I linked is the one intended at least for the version of Secret of Mana i'm using.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You may be using a different rom then me. But yes, the unreadable text is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure that the preset ID I linked is the one intended at least for the version of Secret of Mana i'm using.

Well the Variable Width Font does modify the games text substantially so bytes are still being shifted around. So if you aren't using that version of Secret of Mana on your system, then the Preset ID B010 may not work in this case.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Well the Variable Width Font does modify the games text substantially so bytes are still being shifted around. So if you aren't using that version of Secret of Mana on your system, then the Preset ID B010 may not work in this case.
The annoying thing about Secret of Mana in particular is there are so many versions of the game. I have been trying to get VWF working in conjunction with 9x items with little luck. To be honest, if I have to settle for one or the other, i'd probably just go with 9x Items. I'm using the standard v1.0 US rom that is included on the SNES mini so it should work with VWF anyways. I dunno. Somethings don't work for random reasons. I'd try and patch the US rom with VWF and see if the preset works with it then if I were you

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The annoying thing about Secret of Mana in particular is there are so many versions of the game. I have been trying to get VWF working in conjunction with 9x items with little luck. To be honest, if I have to settle for one or the other, i'd probably just go with 9x Items. I'm using the standard v1.0 US rom that is included on the SNES mini so it should work with VWF anyways. I dunno. Somethings don't work for random reasons. I'd try and patch the US rom with VWF and see if the preset works with it then if I were you

I think the issue with the 9 Items Limit patch and the VWF patch not working together is a simple one.

See the Variable width font patch requires a headered rom for the patch to work, whereas the 9 Item Limit patch requires a rom without a header.

So in this case you would apply a header to SoM using a tool like NSRT (Or if the rom already has one, just apply the VWF patch), then use NSRT to remove the header of the VWF patched Rom, and then apply the 9 Item Limit patch.

Amnesiac

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
For those of you out there playing Tengai Makyou Zero using Retroarch/Snes9X, Is anyone getting a problem w/ the time and date in this game? After I start the game and go to the menu, the date is 00-00-2000. The time is also way off. I set it to the correct time and date at the very beginning, but once I load my save file, it seems to be having a problem keeping track of in-game time. I know that time is a huge part of this game since certain merchants and whatnot are only going to be available at specific days and times. Has anyone else run into this issue or know how to fix it? Everything else is running great.

Last edited:

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
For those of you out there playing Tengai Makyou Zero using Retroarch/Snes9X, Is anyone getting a problem w/ the time and date in this game? After I start the game and go to the menu, the date is 00-00-2000. The time is also way off. I set it to the correct time and date at the very beginning, but once I load my save file, it seems to be having a problem keeping track of in-game time. I know that time is a huge part of this game since certain merchants and whatnot are only going to be available at specific days and times. Has anyone else run into this issue or know how to fix it? Everything else is running great.
Far East of Eden uses a real time clock. I don't think you'll get much luck with it being fixed sadly

I think the issue with the 9 Items Limit patch and the VWF patch not working together is a simple one.

See the Variable width font patch requires a headered rom for the patch to work, whereas the 9 Item Limit patch requires a rom without a header.

So in this case you would apply a header to SoM using a tool like NSRT (Or if the rom already has one, just apply the VWF patch), then use NSRT to remove the header of the VWF patched Rom, and then apply the 9 Item Limit patch.

I would love confirmation if you get that working. I just tried a different way and it failed on me so I spent hours editing my box arts instead in frustration lol

EDIT
Nope, tried it. Works on PC but not the SNES Mini >_<

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would love confirmation if you get that working. I just tried a different way and it failed on me so I spent hours editing my box arts instead in frustration lol

I can confirm it works. Just it may not work with Preset ID B010, and you may need to use 1610 instead. It makes the HiRes text elements super bright, but it's nothing too bad. In fact I kind of prefer the brighter menus because they make the text a bit more readable.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I can confirm it works. Just it may not work with Preset ID B010, and you may need to use 1610 instead. It makes the HiRes text elements super bright, but it's nothing too bad. In fact I kind of prefer the brighter menus because they make the text a bit more readable.

I tried with a fresh rom dump, added an empty header from the beginning, added VWF and Proper Case, removed the header and added the item limit and it works. Just gotta get Hi Rez working again but I haven't tried yet

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So, I haven't hacked mine yet but I wanted to know if you can change the small image on the 21 original games or do I have to hide them and change it with a new rom?

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Recommended FTP client? Was using FileZilla but didn't see a method to copy files one by one so doing the game folders was a pain as wouldn't copy all the files over as one would typically fail and not knowing what is what assume needed everything every time.

Any suggestions?

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Recommended FTP client? Was using FileZilla but didn't see a method to copy files one by one so doing the game folders was a pain as wouldn't copy all the files over as one would typically fail and not knowing what is what assume needed everything every time.

Any suggestions?
Open the Site Manager in FileZilla and create a new entry with your SNES Mini settings. In the Transfer Settings tab, check the Limit number of simultaneous connections and set the number to 1.

gnadenlos

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Super Nt coming my way next year that I'm much more excited about, but this is a really cool thing to have. It's extremely portable, so even with an FPGA box around I can envision plenty of use cases for it. It's also pretty awesome to have two shiny, pristine, officially manufactured SNES controllers. My originals still work like the day I got 'em, but they're not exactly in mint condition.
I've ordered the Super Nt too. Would be nice to use the controllers of the SNES Mini with it, but unfortunately I couldn't find an adapter to use the controllers on a real SNES or Super Nt.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Okay so yeah.. I don't think I can get Secret of Mana working with Hi Res mod AND those hacks so its pretty much a toss up between Hacks or Hi Res and i'm leaning towards the latter

Oct 25, 2017
So version F fixed the previously existing slowdown problem caused by a repeating command introduced in version C. However users are apparently still experiencing an overheating problem in version F related to that fix.

What are your guys' experiences with F? Maybe I'll wait for revision G.

Robin64

You OP says:

Jurassic Park
Another "technically this works.." case. By default, the HUD won't be transparent, as it should be. To get this working properly, assign the Preset ID 1610.

But the compatibility list says preset 0xA210 fixes all the issues. Can you confirm?

JP is definitely one of the games on my radar so I'm interested in this as well.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Every so often I'm tempted to install this, but I honestly can't think of any SNES titles that I'd want on there that already aren't.

Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 2
Act Raiser
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Axelay
Demon's Crest
Megaman X2 & X3
Lufia 2
Kirby 3
Super Mario All Stars
TMNT4
TETRIS ATTACK!

So version F fixed the previously existing slowdown problem caused by a repeating command introduced in version C. However users are apparently still experiencing an overheating problem in version F related to that fix.

Mine doesn't.

Maybe it's happening to people trying to run stuff like MAME and the sorts?

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Okay. I kept mine simple because I am not a tech wiz.
My only question is if I can get all my games (40ish) to fit on one screen, some of the boxart are off the edge of the screen. Possible to make 2 rows?

I'd appreciate the help!

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I kept mine simple because I am not a tech wiz.
My only question is if I can get all my games (40ish) to fit on one screen, some of the boxart are off the edge of the screen. Possible to make 2 rows?

I'd appreciate the help!
It should be possible. There's two things you can do:

The first being a mod that removes the mini box arts altogether (this is what I did) which is built into hakchi. Go into modules > install extra modules > remove_thumbnails.

The second is to go into each game's folder on your pc and change the orientation of the small box arts making them vertical (rotate each one 90°). I haven't done this, but I know others have. Changing the box arts for the games that came with the classic is trickier and I'm not sure how it's done. People were originally hiding them and adding them a second time to change the boxes as you originally couldn't adjust the standard titles, but I believe there is a workaround now so that you don't have to do that.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

JP is definitely one of the games on my radar so I'm interested in this as well.
I just got my hands on a NA model finally, I installed the hack on the EU one I got at launch, but sounds like I should wait to update? Overheating sounds bad :(

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017

I've only flashed mine with Version F, and had it running Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on loop the past couple hours as background noise. The bottom of the unit is warm from general use there have been no issues so far.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Is the extra space module good to use? I'm just about maxed out in space. Can I open that up for save states?

Oct 28, 2017
Is the extra space module good to use? I'm just about maxed out in space. Can I open that up for save states?
Personally, I'm not using it but as far as I understand the extra space module gives you 50 MB for your save states. But it's not necessarily 'added' space since you have to decide where your save state partition resides. So if you already have e.g. 60 MB of save states the module won't help you because the extra storage is limited to 50 MB. It all depends on the way you're using save states.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Hello! My first post here on resetera... and I shall present a gallery of my current SNES boxarts in actual SNES classic mini size proportions!!! If I make any more in the future, I will link back to this post. Use if desired...

Alternative US SNES fanboy box art for some of the stock SNES Classic Mini games:

KzSTMWC.png
NSl7FuX.png
EgZ8AVO.png
fH1MR0H.png
soZcSQC.png
8vGswOR.png
k81jBBO.png
d0PxuJQ.png
xZRO5Bt.png
nYqpreT.png
Et5U0Dq.png
um1ZFjV.png
2Go8WuI.png
hz8DRsp.png
Uwix5nY.png
nN1R1pG.png

Custom box art for Super Famicom games that had no packaging (limited art asset resources):

h8NpjrF.png
zQa9um4.png
ZZj6sdq.png
x2coTZO.png
MvUly7G.png

For the US SNES box size minded:

4uJ59Rm.png
sekcG3z.png

Custom box art for Super Famicom games that were unreleased (rare, extremely limited art resources):

4gyq9WN.png
vCnFb5f.png

Again, for the US SNES box size minded:

twgMoYk.png

PAL SNES games given a US SNES box art makeover:

IFaXdna.png
tToB2qy.png
AQCeNsx.png
Ta2Gxq4.png
vMSg4bA.png
a1AWWYD.png

Alternative US SNES fanboy box art for games poorly represented or misguided by US 90s marketing teams (using a different regions art, promotional art, instruction manual clip art or truly exceptional fan art):

zW0XFgV.png
fvRFEpL.png
YKdfm1z.png
p9u1Gs1.png
2ZP3VNp.png
xArRtNJ.png
eCXUMim.png
UJjVXz4.png
ggAORmV.png
66ie2aW.png
z7mbDrE.png
2fqoW11.png
AwXiISz.png
2Vh1DjX.png
1deBaEZ.png
LxsaQEd.png
JXGREMi.png
BX1gM2z.png
87c9ldU.png
DjSze0g.png
UgXOPO6.png
n3Ylnc5.png
a5bkUEu.png
UfzvdCn.png
d7gnCnc.png
emg34tT.png
Lw0Wus7.png
cvNEJOC.png
7sdGf0a.png
OPueB7C.png
Dy4OVkf.png
ZKnRlpN.png
HXNGNth.png
iP3Vs5q.png
5sNlP5c.png
qDWe9rz.png
H9lmdbq.png
WwSVv1I.png
l4P6KtJ.png
aEbLtZJ.png
qHZUEZv.png
SHA6itV.png
LXidX9a.png
Ky6rJal.png
ZeFttQI.png
H1P3qPq.png

Original boxarts restored (... well improved, in my opinion, with minor alterations and no ESRB ratings):

qIILL01.png
HT4qmFw.png
xl9SQdw.png
XB0R1B1.png
UHT2EPg.png
HxPzcsw.png
qhE99Tq.png
XYBnaUY.png
pQ9W5l4.png
LCFcvY8.png
oodCpU7.png
LXOr3xn.png
Yf4Bz4Y.png
h3bc8LX.png
koOukFX.png
6FUuHMQ.png
fwvO1vJ.png

Boxart request (Can't promise I will do them but if I have time to spare, with nothing else to do, and feel inspired... I maaaay tackle one):

oiG1I3z.png
4nTcirB.png

... What the?! How did this get here? (Well, it was gonna be a SNES platformer originally when Nintendo got the license and this is a warm-up nod to the possible future... of the N64 Classic Mini ;))

a9yi5DW.png

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a repository or link that has resized and properly compressed box art files? I prefer the official boxart rather than the mockups I'm seeing from people. The Google search on hakchi only seems to fetch wallpaper sized images.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Are the boxarts I add automatically resized? When I look in the backup folder on my PC, I see tiny images. Isn't that what goes in the SNESC?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That 2D Box Art looks perfect. Downloading it now (requires a login, but bugmenot had a working one)

Oct 28, 2017
Are the boxarts I add automatically resized?
Citing from Github:
They are resized and converted to a .PNG files for both the box art and thumbnail. You can look in the specific game's folder within the hakchi2 /games/ folder to see them. You will find that the majority of these files, combined, are less than 100 kB in size. I would not be concerned about their size. If you have 300 games on your system, the total size would only be around 30 MB (10% of the 300 MB soft limit), likely less. Compared to NES, SMS, and TG 16 games, they are quite large (as those games are usually well under 1 MB). However, compared to Genesis, SNES, N64, and arcade games (usually 1 MB+), they are very tiny.​

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a repository or link that has resized and properly compressed box art files? I prefer the official boxart rather than the mockups I'm seeing from people. The Google search on hakchi only seems to fetch wallpaper sized images.

That's going to be hard.

Unfortunately, over 90% of the SNES boxarts out there are custom. Most are made to look like the original box, but contain a number of inconsistencies. Usually it doesn't have the company logo, or if it does, it's the wrong logo or in the wrong place. Most of the time the artwork doesn't have the same dimensions as the original. Sometimes the dots on the right of the box don't go all the way down. Sometimes it's missing the ESRB rating, and other times it has it for games that were released before the ESRB. Other times it's missing extra logos like Multitap/multiplayer logos, and the sort.

If you don't mind that they aren't original as long as they look the part, then go right ahead and google them. But if you want them 100% original, it's going to be hard to build up a collection.

The only places to get authentic boxarts is on mobygames, though the lack a bunch of them. GameFAQs has a ton of those fake/custom boxarts, but so far the Japanese ones seems to be authentic.

Nintendo Age (http://nintendoage.com) is the only place I've found where can find a complete 100% authentic US SNES boxarts collection. I have verified their boxarts for over 100 games and not once I've encountered a fake one. The only problem is you have to crop the front of the box because they scan the entire box.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't have to be 100% accurate. But I'm seeing mockups of people pasting the JP boxart in a US container, or similar custom ones. As a US citizen it is my civil duty to represent the ugly US boxarts we know and love today.

I downloaded the 2D Box Art link a couple posts up, it seemed great at first glance.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The old computer site has a ton of fake/custom boxarts too (most aren't scans btw). The only place with real SNES scans is at Nintendo Age linked above. They also have real NES scans too.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'm not using it but as far as I understand the extra space module gives you 50 MB for your save states. But it's not necessarily 'added' space since you have to decide where your save state partition resides. So if you already have e.g. 60 MB of save states the module won't help you because the extra storage is limited to 50 MB. It all depends on the way you're using save states.
Okay thanks. I actually only have save states for Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I added arcade games to the SNES and some took quite a bit of room. Save states and even backing out then back in messes with the audio.

One more question, what is a good size for the custom box art? I've done all my thumbnails and I don't like some box art not filling the space. Would just a 1:1 ratio be good or is there a dimension that would fill it nicely?

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo Age (http://nintendoage.com) is the only place I've found where can find a complete 100% authentic US SNES boxarts collection. I have verified their boxarts for over 100 games and not once I've encountered a fake one. The only problem is you have to crop the front of the box because they scan the entire box.

Oh thank you! Wow! That is a great resource for legit boxart... looks like I'll have a busy weekend cropping and re-uploading to my SNES classic mini and fixing up some of the select customs I made!

I'm all for legit but as a citizen of gaming, it is my act against US marketing in the 90s to represent the games with the best art that they originally should have deserved (compare the US Prince of Persia to the JPN/EU boxart ... it's a crime :P)
lZ29l9U.png
zmqErU5.png

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One more question, what is a good size for the custom box art? I've done all my thumbnails and I don't like some box art not filling the space. Would just a 1:1 ratio be good or is there a dimension that would fill it nicely?

SNES boxes are 228x160. If the vertical dimension is the max size, and that size is 228, then I would assume the horizontal dimension will also be maxed at 228. So any image at 228x228 would fill the square completely.

Oh thank you! Wow! That is a great resource for legit boxart... looks like I'll have a busy weekend cropping and re-uploading to my SNES classic mini and fixing up some of the select customs I made!

I'm all for legit but as a citizen of gaming, it is my act against US marketing in the 90s to represent the games with the best art that they originally should have deserved (compare the US Prince of Persia to the JPN/EU boxart ... it's a crime :P)

Personally I prefer the original art, even if it's ugly.