• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soymilk

Nov 21, 2017
Does anyone knows if it's possible to increase the resolution on ppsspp for snes classic without causing artefacts?
I tried to push up the resolution from the native psp resolution since it looks bad on my TV. However it causes artefacts on 2d images making it unplayable.
Tried to Google but couldn't find any solution.
Sorry not at home so can't show photos.

Also is there a way to synchronize games on the thumbdrive? When I try to add a new game on the USB thumbdrive it'll only add the checked games. Seem I need to install all the games even tho those that are already on the thumbdrive. Maybe I missed a step?

Thanks!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You have to keep your games in the hakchi folder or else they will be removed next time you sync. If you uncheck them, they will also be removed.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So I seem to be in a bit of a pickle with my NES classic (I know this is the SNES thread but they're hacked the same way).

So my NES Classic doesn't seem to power on anymore. I'd be surprised if it was because of the hacking, especially since my SNES Classic is just fine and has been hacked the same way. By "not power on", I mean "the LED won't even turn on."

Note that this wasn't after I added anything either. I shut it off and moved it to a different room, and now it seems to be busted. Am I screwed because I voided the warrenty by hacking it, or this a problem with a reasonable solution?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I screwed because I voided the warrenty by hacking it, or this a problem with a reasonable solution?
Did you try different cables, different power adaptor? Does hakchi maybe still recognize it when you hold reset while turning it? Then you could still factory reset the device and send it in.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try different cables, different power adaptor? Does hakchi maybe still recognize it when you hold reset while turning it? Then you could still factory reset the device and send it in.

Nope. I tried the cable with the SNES mini too and it seemed to work fine, and also tried the SNES mini's cables.

I got it new yesterday at gamestop too, so I'm starting to think I just got a lemon and am screwed now since I put homebrew stuff on it =/. Does gamestop accept returns when stuff won't power on?

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know anything about Gamestop's return policies, but if it doesn't work one day afte you bought it, they should take it back? I guess if it doesn't turn on no one's gonna find out you hacked it. ;)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The readme that comes with it says to use RetroArch on NES Mini, but I'll give it a go anyway to see exactly what happens with the stock emulator.

Edit: It uses mapper #21, which isn't supported. The original uses mapper #23, which is also not supported.

And sadly, neither of those are newly supported on the Shonen Jump build either.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I had mine replaced by Nintendo within the first month. It was hacked, but it wouldn't switch on (crappy usb cable caused a short circuit).

Nothing was said, though I did have to wait a month for a replacement due to demand being crazy in those early days.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
so I have both the nes classic and the snes classic and I was thinking about hacking them this weekend and had a couple of questions....

• for the nes classic I was going to probably add some more nes games, some gb/gbc games. with the snes I was going to add a few more games as well along w/ gba games. I know each system has a limit on how much you can add before it becomes an issue. how many games can I add to each?
  • is there any problems w/ using haxkchi for both systems? do I need to uninstall/reinstall to do each system?
thank you!

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With NES you can add the entire NA NES library plus a decent amount of GB/GBC games before you run out of space
SNES I think you can add 100 SNES games before you run into space issues. Not sure what that becomes when you start adding GBA games

I'd reccomend using USB storage for SNES if you're planning on adding SNES and GBA games

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
With NES you can add the entire NA NES library plus a decent amount of GB/GBC games before you run out of space
SNES I think you can add 100 SNES games before you run into space issues. Not sure what that becomes when you start adding GBA games

I'd reccomend using USB storage for SNES if you're planning on adding SNES and GBA games
is there a file size limit or anything that I should be aware of? I'm not planning on adding a ton of stuff, I just don't want to mess this up as ill probably set it up and never mess w/ it again.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You are overthinking it. Just add the games, install Retroarch (for your GBA and whatnot) and enjoy

The thing is literally a raspberry Pi in a shell

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
You are overthinking it. Just add the games, install Retroarch (for your GBA and whatnot) and enjoy

The thing is literally a raspberry Pi in a shell
mkay. guess this threads around incase anything goes wrong. will there be any issues w/ the kernel backups or w/e if I hack both the nes and the snes using the same pc?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I was able to get an exchange and have a working NES classic now! I guess I just got a rare lemon.

This thing is a nice emulation box, been using it for really retro consoles. I assume there's no way to get Colecovision and Atari 5200 games working though? I saw no cores for the Atari 5200, and Bluemsx, which claims to play both MSX and Colecvision games, hasn't actually booted any Colecovision games for me lol

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thankfully I was able to get an exchange and have a working NES classic now! I guess I just got a rare lemon.

This thing is a nice emulation box, been using it for really retro consoles. I assume there's no way to get Colecovision and Atari 5200 games working though? I saw no cores for the Atari 5200, and Bluemsx, which claims to play both MSX and Colecvision games, hasn't actually booted any Colecovision games for me lol

With Regards to Colecovision on NES classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdKJYltHzM

Apparently for NES classic you have to use a GBA Colecovision Emulator and convert Coleco Roms to .gba

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/5wb3o0/cologne_gba_colecovision_emulator_its_like/

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So I tried to get new games on my SNES Mini via Hakchi but it already failed at installing the SNES driver, so the PC can't even detect the console. Tried on the two very very outdated PCs/netbook in my household. So yeah, I think that was it then.

Will this work on a MacBook?

kaleii

Nov 21, 2017
So, guys, I have both a NES Classic and a SNES Classic, and I was wondering which one I should install Hakchi on?

Are there any hardware differences or is there anything else I need to take into consideration? I prefer the NES aesthetics, but will of course go for the SNES if it's more powerful or easier. I've been searching for info on this without finding a good answer, so now I'm turning to ERA :)

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
So, guys, I have both a NES Classic and a SNES Classic, and I was wondering which one I should install Hakchi on?

Are there any hardware differences or is there anything else I need to take into consideration? I prefer the NES aesthetics, but will of course go for the SNES if it's more powerful or easier. I've been searching for info on this without finding a good answer, so now I'm turning to ERA :)
If you don't want to use a usb stick (like myself) you should use the NES Classic. Just because there is more space for games on it.

But i don't know if there are some differences in the hardware.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Robin64 Going back to do the SNES classic after my SFC mini now.
So I'm using hakchi v3.4.1 with SFROM tool v1.1.1.0 and the latest patches... Despite seeing different Preset IDs online, this software combo should give me the correct one, right?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Both are correct, just presented differently
Thx!
BTW, do you get a very brief "loading" message when launching a game?
I hakchi'd my SFCmini with v2.21f and I never recall seeing that screen. But I thought that for my SNESc I'd try 3.4.1. Could this really be happening from a version difference or what else could it be?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, all that stuff is from CE. CE has a lot of bloat and useless additions to me. 2.21f is very stable and works for what I want.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Before you do that, ask yourself what you want to do on your SNES. A lot of newer Retroarch cores and mods are made with CE in mind.

My goals for SNES Classic were:

- Play SNES Games
- No Retroarch
- No frankenstein USB Methods

And I am satisfied with 2.21f.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Before you do that, ask yourself what you want to do on your SNES. A lot of newer Retroarch cores and mods are made with CE in mind.

- Play SNES Games
- No Retroarch

95% SNES, and probably RA for the few other system games that I regularly play. I was considering USB just to have the option for adding PS1 games if they ran well in RA but, it's not really a priority at all.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018

- Play SNES Games
- No Retroarch

Exact same for me (even if in fact I use RA for one and only one SFC game)! with also another goal : - perfect and accurate SNES/SFC covers for each game

More than that, for those who have the same goals, I'd rather say to not use CE versions, because of some pretty bad points that denature the original SNESC object. Not to mention, much longer loading times between folders switching (so annoying), less stable (games that don't appear anymore after a re-sync if you do a simple change of cover art or other informations) : CE is totally unusable for what I do most of time, especially when I need a lot of sync to see the results of my covers work, a real pain to do the same with CE....
Assuming, you are comfortable with patching games manually or use mods to change original covers manually (for example), 2.21f is a better choice Imho if you are a pure lover of SNES games (and I tested each CE version to say that)

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Funny how I loaded 700 odd games onto my SNES mini (NES,MD,SNES etc) and I'm just playing the ones it came with.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Funny how I loaded 700 odd games onto my SNES mini (NES,MD,SNES etc) and I'm just playing the ones it came with.

Well that's because they're the best the system has to offer! (Well save for Chrono Trigger and DKC2).

I spent an insane amount of time playing Star Fox 2. I hadn't played much of the leaked beta since it was fairly crash-prone, so getting a brand new 16-bit 3D game in 2018 made me feel like a kid at Christmas again.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't messed around with this stuff since the system launched. Did some research today and it looks like I have a new project. Going to grab one of those USB adapter OTG things and have some fun.

DeadOfKnight

Nov 8, 2017
OP is looking a bit outdated. Old hakchi version and no mention of USB-Host, among other things that have changed the way these things are done. Hakchi link is the same so I guess that doesn't matter, but there are now a few other good links to resources that would be useful for newcomers.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP is looking a bit outdated. Old hakchi version and no mention of USB-Host, among other things that have changed the way these things are done. Hakchi link is the same so I guess that doesn't matter, but there are now a few other good links to resources that would be useful for newcomers.

USB host just screams piracy.

Also, after sluffy stopped making patches, everyone just kinda of drifted away.

If you want to know more about how to screw the SNESC, then there's the snesmods reddit which deals more with what most people actually want: to not play the SNESC.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USB host just screams piracy.

Also, after sluffy stopped making patches, everyone just kinda of drifted away.

If you want to know more about how to screw the SNESC, then there's the snesmods reddit which deals more with what most people actually want: to not play the SNESC.
Are you kidding? Hacking the SNES Mini screams piracy.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I decided to put Hakchi 2 CE directly on my USB and have been adding games via the client.

From what I understand I just need to select the link option when I go to export games and it will create .desktop files in another folder on my USB drive that the SNES classic will recognize?

Is that correct?

TeenTin

Mar 14, 2018
I am about to hack my SFC mini. But I have heard of many "long reboot" issue while the installation of Hakchi. Would any of you please suggest what preparation is needed to get rid of this ? Thanks.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I have a Analog Super NT thingy, so that's my go to snes device, so for the SNES mini, I think I want to make it into the best '2 player game system' I can.

Does anyone want to throw their ideas in for a list of the best 2 player games on the platform?
Co-op is good, but I could especially use ideas for the best competitive 2 player games as well.
I hesitate to put in games that are better with 3 or 4, like bomberman, but we'll see.

Contra III
Dr Mario/Tetris
Joe and Mac
Joe and Mac 2
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
NBA Jam
Pocky & Rocky
Sanrio World Smash Ball
Super Smash TV
Sunset Riders
Super Mario Allstars (for the Mario 3 battle mode)
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter 2
Tetris Attack
Turtles in Time
Wild Guns
Zombies Ate My Neighbors