• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes, 2 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alirezay75

Apr 24, 2018
OTG works very well. I have mine setup so I dont touch the internal games and put every other games I want on a usb key. If I want to have my vanilla snesc I just remove the otg, simple. Also I configured it to have all my savestates on the usb key so unlimited space. You can even go wild and put genesis, turbografx and so on. All on the usb key without touching your internal memory. It's wonderful.
I know but its more of a peraonal thing that i just dont want to do. Thats the reason i havent modded my psc yet as it requires a flash drive or an otg cable which i dont really like connected to the thing. I may consider it tho if i wanted to add more games than i already have.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
You really don't think BoF 2 has

- Terrible Translation
- High Encounter Rate
- Grind out the ass
- Confusing Progression ("Where do I go?")

It is no better than BoF 1, it just looks better

And there is zero relation between the two games beyond the main character being Ryu
Oh it absolutely has a terrible translation, but no one's telling him to play it unpatched.

High encounter rate I've already covered as it's the same problem BoF1 has, but again, there are items that reduce it to manageable levels. There's even a little dancing monster icon that tells you if the area you're in will have a high encounter rate or not (yes, it fluctuates).

Very little grinding is actually required in BoF2. At first monsters don't drop nearly enough zenny to be able to afford all the good equipment in towns but fishing and selling your catches can make up the shortfall really quickly, much quicker than if you just grinded random battles all the time. Better equipment makes more of a difference for survival than gaining levels.

BoF2 is no more confusing than any other mid-tier jRPG of the era. Once the world map starts to open up it can be difficult to figure out where to travel first but your party members back at the base usually let you know what your next goal should be when talked to.

It not only looks better, but sounds better too.
Better party members, no one's useless like a certain fishman.
Better fusion system, but only just barely. It's better balanced and less OP but you aren't forced to sacrifice your own team members to fuel it.

And if you really believe Ryu's name is the only link between both games then it stands to reason you weren't really paying attention during your last playthrough. Yes, the world is vastly different with maybe only one kingdom and a few towns from BoF1 still thriving (Winlan/Wyndia, Gant/Guntz, Tunlan) but there's supposed to be a timeskip of several hundred years between games so that's a given. And at one point, a party member from the previous game spiritually appears to meet their BoFII counterpart and bestow a new power.

ReyVGM

Oct 26, 2017
- Super Mario RPG
- FF3 (6)
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Tales of Phantasia
- Terranigma
- Lufia 2
- Earthbound
- Mystic Quest (ew)
- Star Ocean (Dropped it at some point. Didn't like it much)
- Currently playing FF5. (Not bad so far, but far from the greatness of FF3. Kinda grindy and hard, and the events/dialogue are poor)
- Shadowrun
Whatcha mean "ew" to FF Mystic Quest? That game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

FF5's story is kind of poor yes, the game was more of a vehicle to have tons of classes and the plot density was more in tandem with the Famicom FF3. ou should play FF4 too.

So play Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest 3, 5 & 6, Dragon View, Rudra's Treasure, Live a Live, Ys 4, Ys 5.

Nov 19, 2017
I know but its more of a peraonal thing that i just dont want to do. Thats the reason i havent modded my psc yet as it requires a flash drive or an otg cable which i dont really like connected to the thing. I may consider it tho if i wanted to add more games than i already have.
You could also limit the games that you put on the system, or like the Wii “fridge” method.
For RPGs, I don’t keep them on the system after I’ve played them to free up space for the next one I’ll play.

Alirezay75

Apr 24, 2018
You could also limit the games that you put on the system, or like the Wii “fridge” method.
For RPGs, I don’t keep them on the system after I’ve played them to free up space for the next one I’ll play.
There are afew things i can optimize actually.
Boxarts can get alittle bit smaller.
I have nes classic kernel on my classic which i can replace with just the roms.
My console is in japanese so i may get rid of some of the games that are just unplayable for me.

Nov 19, 2017
There are afew things i can optimize actually.
Boxarts can get alittle bit smaller.
I have nes classic kernel on my classic which i can replace with just the roms.
My console is in japanese so i may get rid of some of the games that are just unplayable for me.
Box art I make/use is around 50~100kb per pic (sized usually at 228x204).
For NES, I'd just use RA instead - it works nicely.
For the JP ROMs, you can make it so they won't show up but it's not possible to remove them from the system to get more space available unfortunately.
But it's all about how you personalize your system and for what you want from it. ;)

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whatcha mean "ew" to FF Mystic Quest? That game has one of the best soundtracks ever.

FF5's story is kind of poor yes, the game was more of a vehicle to have tons of classes and the plot density was more in tandem with the Famicom FF3. ou should play FF4 too.

So play Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Dragon Quest 3, 5 & 6, Dragon View, Rudra's Treasure, Live a Live, Ys 4, Ys 5.
Mystic Quest was too simplistic. Didn't like the linear structure instead of an open world. It did have nice music!

In those that you listed, they're all better than Breath of Fire (1 & 2)? I read about Rudra's Treasure but most everywhere I read says it's B-tier at best.

Alirezay75

Apr 24, 2018
Box art I make/use is around 50~100kb per pic (sized usually at 228x204).
For NES, I'd just use RA instead - it works nicely.
For the JP ROMs, you can make it so they won't show up but it's not possible to remove them from the system to get more space available unfortunately.
But it's all about how you personalize your system and for what you want from it. ;)
well damn. i hoped i could remove some of them like starfox and ffvi.
but i guess i can still save a bunch of space from removing the nes classic files. i think i should get back around 10 mbs off of that.
and im hoping to get around 10 mbs off of the box arts.( i used very high quality ones now that you mention it seem like 2 3 times more othan the pics you used.)
if all goes according the plan im gonna get around 36mbs which in worst case scenario can give me around 80 save states, even if all the games use s ram im gonna have around 50ish save states available which tbh, is more than enough for me.

Alirezay75

Apr 24, 2018
a small update: so i replaced the nes classic editions kernel with the roms and holy hell. that cleaned up around 35ish mbs! i dont know why it was reserving that much space but it was a nice surprise.
unfortunately box art compression only cleaned up like a mb or so so it really wasnt worth it even tho it took like 10 mins to do.
now i basically have my dream 2d emulation device lol. (well except for neo geo stuff but to be fair im only interested in wind jammers and metal slug on that system)
modding this thing was super fun so i might mod my ps classic aswell, as much as i hate cables or dongles being connected to the thing.

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
Use something like PNGGauntlet or PNGyu to compress box art. You should be able to get more room that way.

ReyVGM

Oct 26, 2017
Mystic Quest was too simplistic. Didn't like the linear structure instead of an open world. It did have nice music!

In those that you listed, they're all better than Breath of Fire (1 & 2)? I read about Rudra's Treasure but most everywhere I read says it's B-tier at best.
But B-tier is... good? If you're looking for another Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6, then no, there aren't any other games like that.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Possibly not interesting to y'all, but I have been following DarkAkuma's hard work porting over some of the SFROM shenanigans to the SNES Online service for the Switch. The compatibility is looking pretty good, though there are some missing classics like Terranigma to fix.

Anyway. Using Robin64's title screens and a pack of cover art I found elsewhere, I converted the lot to the format needed (.xtx.z) for the Switch SNES Online CaVE Database Manager created by DarkAkuma. You can find the covers here and the title screens here, and here are the batch files I used to compile them. It looks kind of like this:

It would be nice if someday the SFROM Mega Pack for the Classic had a Switch Online equivalent ;)

Last edited: