• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
NHL 96 and 97 are definitely busted. Pressing any button during a game just takes you back to the pre-game selection menu

Did you assign a player to a team? By default it will run as a CPU match.

Robin I noticed your spreadsheet lists Clayfighter TE and Clayfighter 2 as working but there were definitely graphical glitches when I last tried them in Canoe

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and I played a good few matches as multiple characters in both. I thought the stage level looked a bit odd with the blank background but apparently that's normal. But really saw no corruption of graphics at all. Have another load up and if you can point them out I'll see if I have the same issue.

gallery_clay-fighter-05.png

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
any interesting foreign (English person playable though lol) multiplayer games? I just heard of Sugoi Hebereke, a 4 player bomberman like fighting game, looks like a no brainer to put on mine

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Quick beginner question: If I unlock the full SNES mini power now, would I still use the guide in the OP? Is it outdated and a newer, better option available?

Also, I do wonder if there's a way to add the superior Super Probotector instead of Contra 3.
Robots >>> Sly And Arnie

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
The OP is up to date.

If you want to add Super Probotector instead, first use the "LoROM to NTSC" patch from this site to change it to an NTSC game: http://en.evilgames.eu/snes-pal-to-ntsc.html
Whatever you do, do not just upload the Super Probotector ROM, the SNES Mini doesn't properly support PAL format. You'll have a bad time.

Thanks. On both accounts. You really are doing a fantastic job for the community here.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Robin64 I guess you want to keep the notes to one line, but I think it's for everyone's benefit to allow multiple lines if more thorough notes are needed?

I agree, I just also didn't want to it to end up where some games have a novel written about them and take up the majority of a page like the other one. Might use the notes feature to go into more detail.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to just backup, the entire SNES mini, so if I had a disaster I could just put the dump on there and be right back where I left off? or not possible to do? I wouldn't mind just making a total copy anytime I connect it to my computer if such a thing can be done

Oct 28, 2017
Your hakchi folder is basically all the backup you need. If you export your save states/game saves from your SNES Mini you're good to go: re-flash the original kernel, do a factory reset and you have a clean SNES Mini for example.

So should disaster happen: go back to start and then use hakchi to flash the custom kernel, add your existing games, folder structure and save states and that's it. Maybe you have to do some small tasks manually, like adding custom borders via ftp, but that won't take long.

That's the way I did it one or two times in the past.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Pilotwings solution: Before playing Flight Area 8 (760357), clear at least one ring with the Rocket Belt on Flight Area 2 (985206), 4 (520771), or 6 (773224). Passwords and soft resets can be used to speed up the process.

I tested every stage and it's only those three Rocket Belt lessons that corrected the arches on FA8. (Expert mode had nothing to do with it.)

!?

Crazy - Will test.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did you assign a player to a team? By default it will run as a CPU match.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and I played a good few matches as multiple characters in both. I thought the stage level looked a bit odd with the blank background but apparently that's normal. But really saw no corruption of graphics at all. Have another load up and if you can point them out I'll see if I have the same issue.

gallery_clay-fighter-05.png

Ah yup NHL 96 and 97 work fine, I overlooked that. Tried both Clayfighter games again and there's no graphics glitches but they both freeze after the first round of the first match in standard game mode. Didn't seem to matter who I chose. I should note I lost each match Also some graphic glitching on the stage screen in CF 2

This is the info I have for both games I used with hakchi from the sfrom tool

Game: CLAYFIGHTER TE
Region: English-NTSC
Version: v1.0
ROM Map: HiROM/FastROM
ROM Type: ROM
ROM Size: 32Mb
SRAM: -

CRC32: 0xb360f7af
MD5: 0xa6637ccb145e42bbce94fbce3a1bb5e7
SHA1: 0xa7d9a90f792c90d3d51f62db6279e9533dab5ca8

Game: ClayFighter 2
Region: English-NTSC
Version: v1.0
ROM Map: HiROM/FastROM
ROM Type: ROM
ROM Size: 32Mb
SRAM: -

CRC32: 0x20b5c364
MD5: 0xeb7d8986545e2e54f915e621f088ab31
SHA1: 0xb64ad1b7c388439a53549229375d53dfb29731d0

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Have you actually reflashed the custom kernel since upgrading your hakchi? Because yeah, I don't have this issue these days.

I did! What I did is I extracted the latest hakchi (2.21f) over my previous hakchi folder, then selected "Flash Custom Kernel". That's what I was supposed to do right? Like, I wasn't supposed to Uninstall the previous custom kernel and THEN flash the new one, right?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I.. honestly can't remember at this point. That sounds like it should be enough though. Maybe try an Uninstall too? Put the SNES Mini back to factory?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I've been playing PAL SuperFX game Winter Gold (1996) and I'm wondering if there's a patch to make it NTSC?

The reason I ask is that even being perfect runs on down hill skiing our times are WAY behind the computer.

If I run the game at higher SFX boost 1.25/1.5 using canoe then perfect run times are much closer to the computer times.

Any ideas?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Thanks!

I can't remember if hakchi offered to patch the game for me when I added it? I think it did.

In that case it must be already patched otherwise it wouldn't run on NTSC?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ah yes, just looked and hakchi2 includes the exact patch that site offers for download. Which means, yes, hakchi2 converted it to NTSC as long as you said yes.

And PAL games still run even when not converted.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone fix Treasure of the Rudras already, it's the last major Square RPG to get working properly.

That and Chrono Trigger + anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
And for today's work:

Both Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II are working with the English translations patches. Used PID 0110 for Shin Megami Tensei.

Oct 28, 2017
I did! What I did is I extracted the latest hakchi (2.21f) over my previous hakchi folder, then selected "Flash Custom Kernel". That's what I was supposed to do right? Like, I wasn't supposed to Uninstall the previous custom kernel and THEN flash the new one, right?

I would recommend doing a factory reset after flashing your original kernel. It may be a bit of work to set everything up again but by doing so, you have at least the chance to test after every step if your issues are coming back or not.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
So I hope I didn't miss it somewhere but is there a newer version of retroarch (newer than 1.0) that's available? The 1.0 version is missing the cores for nes

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nothing wrong with Chrono Trigger AFAIK.Don't know what Chrono Trigger + is referring to but the CT romhack Crimson Echoes just hangs on a black screen after the intro

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
CT+ is a rom hack that expands the rom beyond what Canoe supports. Same issue with the DQIII fan trans.

Crimson Echoes has always had issues running in certain emulators. No idea if it even works on real hardware.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi-Res text. Game is playable but you know people lul

It really is blurry enough that it's annoying, unless you're playing really close to your TV.

Other games with similar issues have eventually been fixed, this is the only one remaining with the text problem.

CT+ wouldn't work last time I checked. Kept getting stuck in Crono's room.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It really is blurry enough that it's annoying, unless you're playing really close to your TV.

Other games with similar issues have eventually been fixed, this is the only one remaining with the text problem.

CT+ wouldn't work last time I checked. Kept getting stuck in Crono's room.

Oh, so Rudra uses high resolution text. Gotcha. (I missed that - thought it was another issue.)

CT+? Never heard of it. I've only played the original... worth playing?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, so Rudra uses high resolution text. Gotcha. (I missed that - thought it was another issue.)

CT+? Never heard of it. I've only played the original... worth playing?

People here seem to really like it.

But so far the only way to get it working on the Classic is through Retroarch, which I'm avoiding until its input lag gets ironed out (this happen yet?).

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when it was changed to L+R+Start+Select for no inexplicable reason in an update and caused issues w/ games that used that button combo to soft-reset (i.e. pretty much every SNES game)? Good times.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when it was changed to L+R+Start+Select for no inexplicable reason in an update and caused issues w/ games that used that button combo to soft-reset (i.e. pretty much every SNES game)? Good times.

Actually very few games. It was mostly only Square who implemented this soft reset!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Oh. A majority of my library were Square games so that kinda explains that. Thought there were more out there that used the feature. Oddly, the games on the SNES classic can all be soft-reseted which only furthers my confusion.

Oct 28, 2017
So I hope I didn't miss it somewhere but is there a newer version of retroarch (newer than 1.0) that's available? The 1.0 version is missing the cores for nes

At least not officially from Cluster. Although, Github shows 3 commits since the last release. The last one being from last week updating Retroarch to ver. 1.7.0. Guess we just have to wait a bit longer.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I can confirm using the tool to make an sfrom of PilotWings and playing through, not via password, does allow you to complete mission 8 (using save states works as well).

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
How odd. Hakchi must be doing something to the .sfrom that corrupts it. The tool will give it the same Preset ID that we've all been testing.

Edit: Wait, hang on, you said playing through. That's just the same as what we have now. :(

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't used it so don't know exactly but even if it doesn't handle SRAM directly, just making a save state will also contain your SRAM save anyway.

Alrighty thanks for all the help! Turns out I'm getting the same slight sound pops even with the default kernel and a factory reset, so it seems like something else is the culprit...

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely apologize in advance for this probably unbelievably noobish question but when a rom throws the error "Oops, it seems .. is not going to work correctly with the original emulator. Do you want to use a 3rd party emulator?" ... how do I do that exactly? Install a 3rd party emulator that is

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I sincerely apologize in advance for this probably unbelievably noobish question but when a rom throws the error "Oops, it seems .. is not going to work correctly with the original emulator. Do you want to use a 3rd party emulator?" ... how do I do that exactly? Install a 3rd party emulator that is

Firstly, which ROM says that? Because hakchi says it to a lot of games that we now know to work fine in the default emulator.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Blazer should work just fine. Tell Hakchi "No" when it asks

ActRaiser and Gaia need a patch, but they work just fine