• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Snes classic. Do we really have the actual ability to play more games like killer instinct, chrono trigger, nba jam etc on this thing? If so, any legal ways going about this?
If you own a rom dump cartridge you can dump your own roms.

Or if you own the game on the virtual console you can use that, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm sure other people will chime in regarding that.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So weird question I tried upgrading to the latest version and lost all of my original games...I reflashed the kernel and then 2.2 again and everything is fine...do I have to upgrade? Nearly had a hear attack the first time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to get Zelda:LttP randomizer working on this? I thought I saw some images of people with it on their consoles, but maybe it was BS Zelda or something?

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
I just got the Snes classic. Do we really have the actual ability to play more games like killer instinct, chrono trigger, nba jam etc on this thing? If so, any legal ways going about this?

Legal will mean you own the carts for Killer Instinct, Chrono Trigger, NBA Jam, and ETC and made some personal rom dumps of them.

EDIT: Ah, covered already I see...

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you own a rom dump cartridge you can dump your own roms.

Or if you own the game on the virtual console you can use that, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm sure other people will chime in regarding that.

Thank you for this.

So I take it that you have to own the games. If you don't, you are SOL (legally speaking)?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a change log for versions C through F? I see they keep updating it, but the improvements on the site only reflects from B to C.

MrMan2k7

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
Is there a compilation somewhere of the square cover art that was posted in the previous thread? I'm also looking specifically for square cover art for Batman Returns and the Super Star Wars games.
I assume by square cover art, you are referring to the "Switch style" icons?

I've been trying to put together all of the "Switch style" icons people have created in one place, plus I've been creating some of my own. Batman Returns and all the Super Star Wars games are accounted for in this folder. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4xpbJ0f0oEKcGljWFBQZXhNM1E

I had posted this link back on the other site, and Robin64 was kind enough to add it the OP which got transferred to ResetEra. If anyone finds any more that I'm missing, feel free to send me a message.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I have one question, sorry if it has been asked before.
I have yet to hack de SNES Mini, I suppose i'll do in a few weeks. I was waiting basically until Terranigma, Illusion og Gaia and Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension were made playable in the native emulator the console has.
I think the first 2 already are using some patches, but I don't know if the Hyper Dimension game is already playable or if someone is working on it. Any answer about that? Thanks a lot :-)
I've been playing a translated Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel without any real issues

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I assume by square cover art, you are referring to the "Switch style" icons?

I've been trying to put together all of the "Switch style" icons people have created in one place, plus I've been creating some of my own. Batman Returns and all the Super Star Wars games are accounted for in this folder. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4xpbJ0f0oEKcGljWFBQZXhNM1E

I had posted this link back on the other site, and Robin64 was kind enough to add it the OP which got transferred to ResetEra. If anyone finds any more that I'm missing, feel free to send me a message.

This is just what I was looking for, thanks for providing me with the link. I didn't see it in the OP but I must have overlooked it.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
For Soul Blazer, the issue from the compiled compatible game database reads,

"In the Volcano area (Durean), the area is supposed to be dark, except the light following your character. Instead, the whole area is lit up. Probably a transparency layer problem. Other areas with a similar situation do not have this issue, only the volcano area."

If I don't care about this issue, anyone know if the game is still fully playable?

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
THIS is a link to my newly made Imgur so you can peruse my BoxArts if you prefer Art+Logo over actual SNES boxes or logoless

I'll be adding more periodically and reorganising them alphabetically. All organized and already PNG gauntlet optimized <3
The Balloon Fight one makes me sad af

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Newer hakchi tells you when a game is not playable and asks if you want to use a 3rd party emulator to play the game. If you hit yes, then it will load automatically with RA even if the '--retroarch' is not in the command line.

Games that play natively say "clover" at the beginning of the command line argument.

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
^ Natively it won't work, Canoe doesn't support the game's real time clock chip. And Retroarch would require some updating to support it I think since it's an expanded ROM. Also even some of the high-end emulators on PC have trouble running it correctly from what I've read.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding replacing the menu music, a few questions:

1. How easy/hard is it?

2. Can you have multiple songs that shuffle at random? If so, can you set when they shuffle (I'd prefer it shuffles every time you turn it on, instead of every time you hit reset)?

3. How do you make songs loop?

I'd rather not get rid of the catchy default song, but I would love it if it did a random shuffle instead.

Ditto a random shuffling of the scrolling background, if it's possible.

1. super easy, flash the music mod and place your new music.wav in \hakchi2\user_mods\music_hack.hmod

2. dont think so

3. its automatic, pick a song with a good natural fade out or loop

oh and I used this to quick convert my music to pcm .wave

https://www.online-convert.com/

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It's been fine for a while. I might sound like a casual but I find the build in google does a decent job. Add game, click box art, click search, apply art...all in hakchi, takes 10 seconds.

Mines beautiful now, music, CRT mode with no filter, almost perfect selection of games. Loads of patched ones like restored castlevania with the cross and blood, new stuff like Hyper Metroid. Love this system, so much im finally selling off a load of real snes stuff.

CRT mode with no filter?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain what the hack slowdown issue is / was? I hacked my SNES mini a few days ago, copied a few more games onto it, and everything seems to be working perfectly. I haven't seen any obvious slowdown.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
I believe it was a sound slowdown issue caused by earlier builds of hakchi but some games have an input delay in retroarch. I haven't really noticed anything significant either TBH

Kamenjojo

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so my friend wants me to put games on his SNES classic. I've already done it for me. Do I have to do anything differently to do with his SNES classic on my computer?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Hey so my friend wants me to put games on his SNES classic. I've already done it for me. Do I have to do anything differently to do with his SNES classic on my computer?
Just use a new instance/install of Hakchi instead of the one you used for your unit. Download the .zip and extract to its own folder. You should be fine.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Someone posted this on the reddit about this and it made me chuckle.
At64nm5.gif

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Just use a new instance/install of Hakchi instead of the one you used for your unit. Download the .zip and extract to its own folder. You should be fine.

The official Hakchi2 FAQ also suggests that you can use the same instance of Hakchi2 for different devices:

Q: I want to upload games to my brother's/sister's/mother's/father's NES Mini on the same computer as the one I used to flash my NES. How can I do this?

A: 99% safe way: just flash the custom kernel and sync games in the same application. This shouldn't break anything, but I can't 100% guarantee it.

This was written in the context of flashing the NES Mini, but presumably the it applies to the SNES Mini?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you're going to flash the exact same games I suppose it's fine to do it like that.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So some dude on reddit was working on making it so you did not have to copy the original games (duplicate). Unfortunately, he has not done anything in a couple days with it. has anyon tried to do/use what he did?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Robin64 Are you contributing directly to Hakchi2? If so, do you think it would be possible to add a "Notes" field associated to each game? Somewhere to leave a record of which patches have been applied to the ROM?

MrMan2k7

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
So some dude on reddit was working on making it so you did not have to copy the original games (duplicate). Unfortunately, he has not done anything in a couple days with it. has anyon tried to do/use what he did?
This has been implemented in Hakchi2 since v2.21b.

If you want to patch any of the original games, though, you would still need to add them as a new game.