• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Guys, some questions:

1. If I put Terranigma on my SNES Mini, is there anything I have to watch out for? I read since the game is using the EU version you have to convert it into a US version first and install some other software on top of Hakchi - is this still correct?

2. Does hacking the SNES Mini compromise the system's durability in any way (potential data loss, system not working after a while, freezes etc)? I just want to put Terranigma and Chrono Trigger on it and be done with it forever. I don't want to compromise the system's durability in any way though. I also consider buying a second SNES Mini to hack, to still have one original version; is this necessary?

3. Does Hakchi come with games as well or do you have to search for them separately? How do I make sure I install genuine versions of the games I want to get?

I really just want to make sure I can play these two games on the SNES Mini. I even have them in their original form.

Thanks much for any advise!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
1. Check your PM

2. Not really, you'd have to flash it thousands of times for anything to happen.

3. Hakchi is just a tool for putting games on to the SNES Mini, you need to supply the ROMs yourself.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nibbles27 has made a patch to get the Blizzard Classic version of Rock N' Roll Racing working on the SNES Mini.

Download the game for free here: https://us.battle.net/account/download/?show=classic

Extract the ROCK.BIN file, this is the SNES ROM.

Apply this patch: https://www.sendspace.com/file/mcq4tr and make sure you save as .smc

Tried this, but the game has no music. Sound effects and the commentator are there, but no music (neither in the menu nor during the races).

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Tried this, but the game has no music. Sound effects and the commentator are there, but no music (neither in the menu nor during the races).

Can you test Blizzard's version on the PC? I wonder if the music has been removed for copyright reasons. That'd be another ROM difference, and an interesting one. It changes "Rock 'N Roll Racing" into just "Racing".

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The official version plays the music (had a good laugh when I saw they were using ZSNES for this release). However the ROM used in an external emulator (patched or unpatched) does not.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
How weird! I wonder what the cause there is.

They do mention that the zsnes they've packed with the release has been modified slightly, too.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Does installing Hakchi force a custom Hakchi logo to the startup screen? I've read something about this.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't know why they added that with CE. The first version didn't even let you turn it off, I had to find out how to manually remove it via FTP. A little bit of complaining and they added the option, but kept it default to on.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why they added that with CE. The first version didn't even let you turn it off, I had to find out how to manually remove it via FTP. A little bit of complaining and they added the option, but kept it default to on.

An egocentric sense of self-aggrandisement and self-promotion, no doubt. Not even Nintendo felt like the thing needed an intro with their logo on startup. Whoever thought about adding that splash screen should be fired into the sun.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey has anyone came across/using any nice custom snes box arts for breath of fire 1/2? I was hoping to find something closer to the Japanese art for the game oppose to conan style Ryu, something like the gba covers but came up with nothing.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
zW0XFgV.png
from here

fmkina.png
posted on the old forum, I don't remember by whom

the artwork is the same as the ones used in the GBA ports

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Okay, now I'm home, I've had a look at the Rock N' Roll Racing that Blizzard give away on their website.

So there are a lot of differences, it turns out

- New Blizzard Classic splash screen
- Can only play as Snake
- No car customisation or selection
- Only the first three levels available
- No music

Last edited:

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now I'm home, I've had a look at the Rock N' Roll Racing that Blizzard give away on their website.

- Can only play as Snake
- No music
Yet these are all available if played in their provided ZSNES, right? I suspect it's a type of DRM then, dependent on the emulator for the full content.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yet these are all available if played in their provided ZSNES, right? I suspect it's a type of DRM then, dependent on the emulator for the full content.

No, this is all when played in Blizzard's packaged zsnes too.

The only thing you do get is music, (and not the original tracks), which is supplied by the .exe and plays over the top of the emulation. But it's not synced to menus or gameplay or anything, it just plays three non-SNES non-RnRR tracks.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is all when played in Blizzard's packaged zsnes too.

The only thing you do get is music, (and not the original tracks), which is supplied by the .exe and plays over the top of the emulation. But it's not synced to menus or gameplay or anything, it just plays three non-SNES non-RnRR tracks.
Huh, I thought they put the full games out... but I guess that answers the question of the music. I wonder whether it's higher quality than the SNES could handle... or the same quality but higher than ZSNES would normally put out when played on that?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I thought they put the full games out... but I guess that answers the question of the music. I wonder whether it's higher quality than the SNES could handle... or the same quality but higher than ZSNES would normally put out when played on that?

It would be far less of a hassle to just play any pre-recorded song from the .exe in any quality than having to painstakingly create new SPC700 songs with the SNES' limitations.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- Can only play as Snake
- No music
Ha, oh wow. I've never played Rock 'n Roll Racing, so I didn't really know how it was supposed to be. lol

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
So I just installed Sonic the Hedgehog 1 hack with Amy the hedgehog character swap on the snes mini. I did it because my 4 year old wants more platformers with girls as main characters.

Can I find similar hacks for other great platformers, that also work on the snes mini?

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Hi, I don't post or participate in things here ever, but I made some custom borders and my sweetie suggested that maybe someone else might want them so I uploaded them:

https://talesofinsecurity.com/portfolio/borders/

I put them all in a zip file, also with my various masks and configurations, which is on that page, and individual zip files are there as well. Enjoy!

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
These are great! I love that you've made some new "all purpose" (ie, not game specific) borders. I'll be adding these. :)
Oh good! Art is by Heather Lindsaychen, it should probably say somewhere.

Incidentally, did anyone figure out whether there was activate the hue, luminosity, and/or saturation overrides for individual themes when applied through the command line? Some of these are very different with these options than without, and a quick search and even an investigation into the internal files showed nothing immediately. Surprising, as thoroughly as you all seem to have figured out this little machine. :)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Does it make the initial startup time longer, though, even after turning the logo off?

Feb 15, 2018
So i would like to add retroarch to my SNES mini, mainly so i can play some GBA games on it. But when i tried to research this a few months ago, i got so confused with all the different version of retroarch i simply did not know where to start!

Can anyone provide me with a link (or description) of the most suitable version of retroarch please? And i assume im right in thinking that all my snes games will continue to boot in canoe unless i specify otherwise?

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
So i would like to add retroarch to my SNES mini, mainly so i can play some GBA games on it. But when i tried to research this a few months ago, i got so confused with all the different version of retroarch i simply did not know where to start!

Can anyone provide me with a link (or description) of the most suitable version of retroarch please? And i assume im right in thinking that all my snes games will continue to boot in canoe unless i specify otherwise?
I really like the videos of the youtube channel "Patton Plays":

Feb 15, 2018
I really like the videos of the youtube channel "Patton Plays":

Thanks for the reply. I have watched this already! I was confused as I don't think the version of Hakchi2 CE that I'm using is recent enough to have the mod shop section and I don't know how to perform an update to the latest version. I visited the website but couldn't find any instructions on it there either. This means I would probably have to stick with the 1.2.2 (I think) CE that I am running, and manually add the Retroarch set up I require .... Which is where I am struggling to understand the best version.
If anyone can very simply explain how I can easily perform an update to my Hakchi2 I'm all ears!

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
Thanks for the reply. I have watched this already! I was confused as I don't think the version of Hakchi2 CE that I'm using is recent enough to have the mod shop section and I don't know how to perform an update to the latest version. I visited the website but couldn't find any instructions on it there either. This means I would probably have to stick with the 1.2.2 (I think) CE that I am running, and manually add the Retroarch set up I require .... Which is where I am struggling to understand the best version.
If anyone can very simply explain how I can easily perform an update to my Hakchi2 I'm all ears!
I moved from hakchi2 to hakchi2 CE, which was very easy. So i don't know how it works if you want to update hakchi2 CE from a older version to a newer one.

Are you sure you use "hakchi2 CE" and not just "hakchi2"? This was my problem for a while because i didn't knew that hakchi2 (without a mod shop) is different from hakchi2 CE (with the mod shop).

Did you watched that video?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Possibly marginally, as the thing has to read more files and whatnot, but I haven't really felt it was slow now or anything.
Ok thanks!

What are your (or others) general thoughts of hacking the SNES Mini, after some time has passed? Any things to watch out for, any negative aspects that surprised you? Does it work as intended?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
General Thoughts: Its just yet another boring raspberry pi. Nobody has any interest in Nintendo's official emulator, and I have no interest in yet another platform to emulate every game under the sun - seriously, people ask to play DREAMCAST games on this thing.

Also the way Cluster was vilified and pushed out was really grody.

Feb 15, 2018
I moved from hakchi2 to hakchi2 CE, which was very easy. So i don't know how it works if you want to update hakchi2 CE from a older version to a newer one.

Are you sure you use "hakchi2 CE" and not just "hakchi2"? This was my problem for a while because i didn't knew that hakchi2 (without a mod shop) is different from hakchi2 CE (with the mod shop).

Did you watched that video?

I did indeed watch that video. Twice now!

I have not watched the new one you have embedded though, so will take a look. Maybe I'm not on CE, will have to check when home from work .so have all CE versions had the mod store? I thought it was introduced on an update of CE.
If it's always been there then I must be using something other than CE. In which case I will hopefully learn from the attached video!
Thanks for your patience. Will let you know how I get on!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. I've really fallen behind on the scene and the thread.

I am hoping that some kind soul will help me achieve my goals, in any way possible.

I want to do a clean install of Hakchi, with USB Host. I've failed to get USB working thus far.

I want to get FBA, MAME working. I've failed thus far.

Same for PSX

External Retroarch would be ideal.

I'm not stupid, I don't think. But I've not gotten the results I want using the guides at snesclassicmods

ShottiePippen

Oct 29, 2017
Ok. I've really fallen behind on the scene and the thread.

I am hoping that some kind soul will help me achieve my goals, in any way possible.

I want to do a clean install of Hakchi, with USB Host. I've failed to get USB working thus far.

I want to get FBA, MAME working. I've failed thus far.

Same for PSX

External Retroarch would be ideal.

I'm not stupid, I don't think. But I've not gotten the results I want using the guides at snesclassicmods
What version of Hakchi are you trying to install? I strongly recommend using Hakchi CE. I don't bother trying to set up USB-Host separately anymore.

What you using for USB? An OTG dongle? Hub? Some USB devices fail more than others.

I'd start by downloading the latest Hakchi CE at http://hakchiresources.com, then installing it in its own folder to the USB drive. You could make a folder on your hard drive, of course, but supposedly keeping an install in the same USB drive as the games makes adding games faster.

Run Hakchi CE from that folder and follow instructions to flash custom kernel. Once the custom kernel's flashed you can add games. To add games to USB you'd have to click the "Export" button.

For non-SNES games, download Retroarch and system-relevant Hmod cores from Hakchi's mod store (preferred as it'll dl & install for you) or the Hakchi Resources site (you'd have to dl to Hakchi CE's user_mod folder then choose add custom module).

Apologies if this seems unclear as I'm far away from my SNES mini at the moment. It's been several months since I've read a YouTube-based tutorial so I can't recall any recent ones from memory. Look for "Patton Plays" as he covers latest Hakchi CE updates and SNES mini stuff.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What version of Hakchi are you trying to install? I strongly recommend using Hakchi CE. I don't bother trying to set up USB-Host separately anymore.

What you using for USB? An OTG dongle? Hub? Some USB devices fail more than others.

I'd start by downloading the latest Hakchi CE at http://hakchiresources.com, then installing it in its own folder to the USB drive.

Run Hakchi CE from that folder and follow instructions to flash custom kernel. Once the custom kernel's flashed you can add games. To add games to USB you'd have to click the "Export" button.

For non-SNES games, download Retroarch and system-relevant Hmod cores from Hakchi's mod store (preferred as it'll dl & install for you) or the Hakchi Resources site (you'd have to dl to Hakchi CE's user_mod folder then choose add custom module).

Apologies if this seems unclear as I'm far away from my SNES mini at the moment. It's been several months since I've read a YouTube-based tutorial so I can't recall any recent ones from memory. Look for "Patton Plays" as he covers latest Hakchi CE updates and SNES mini stuff.
OTG splitter and 32gb sandisk pen drive.

I tried to install external retro arch, for example, but files never appeared on the USB drive after the operation.

I've had no problems getting Genesis, NES, Game Boy, TG16 to work on the NAND.

I'm pretty sure I have CE already installed from months ago, but I might have started with hakchi2.

What I think I need to do is reset the Mini to factory condition and do a clean install with the latest and greatest.

Now I'm thinking I want to do the NES dualboot while I'm at it?

Oh, most important of all, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of retroarch cores and which ones are best to use, especially the various Game Boy, MAME and FBA cores.

Last edited:

ShottiePippen

Oct 29, 2017
OTG splitter and 32gb sandisk pen drive.

I tried to install external retro arch, for example, but files never appeared on the USB drive after the operation.

I've had no problems getting Genesis, NES, Game Boy, TG16 to work on the NAND.

I'm pretty sure I have CE already installed from months ago, but I might have started with hakchi2.

What I think I need to do is reset the Mini to factory condition and do a clean install with the latest and greatest.

Now I'm thinking I want to do the NES dualboot while I'm at it?

Oh, most important of all, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of retroarch cores and which ones are best to use, especially the various Game Boy, MAME and FBA cores.
What kind of OTG splitter? The one that has "tentacles?" If so, I've never used them as I read they'll fail a lot. I use an Inateck hub or an L-shaped OTG adapter.

Yes, you'll need to clean install via resetting the mini if you're starting over. I've had to do that a few times before.

Can't say about dual boot, I'm content with FCEUmm core.

I use mGBA for Game Boy and FBA2016. For MAME, either look up compatibility lists or (sigh) trial-and-error. In theory, having a romset compatible to a specific version of MAME should work, but I've few arcade games so I use trial and error between 2003 and 2010. I think 2003 is supposed to work best for Midway games, but I'd have to test again.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of OTG splitter? The one that has "tentacles?" If so, I've never used them as I read they'll fail a lot. I use an Inateck hub or an L-shaped OTG adapter.

Yes, you'll need to clean install via resetting the mini if you're starting over. I've had to do that a few times before.

Can't say about dual boot, I'm content with FCEUmm core.

I use mGBA for Game Boy and FBA2016. For MAME, either look up compatibility lists or (sigh) trial-and-error. In theory, having a romset compatible to a specific version of MAME should work, but I've few arcade games so I use trial and error between 2003 and 2010. I think 2003 is supposed to work best for Midway games, but I'd have to test again.
I got the corded one because the first one I bought was an L-shape and I accidentally got it turning the wrong way so that it covers the HDMI port. Figured better safe than sorry, didn't know it actually mattered.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone got recommendations for mods? I'm using the "extra space" mod.
Anything else y'all think is important?

If I remember it right, the extra space mod moves your save states to a separate 50 MB partition. On top of that, I always used the Save Compression Mod to reduce the size of the saves as well.

Concerning 'importance', that's it more or less for me. The rest is using some retroarch cores. Never started to tweak the UI.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If I remember it right, the extra space mod moves your save states to a separate 50 MB partition. On top of that, I always used the Save Compression Mod to reduce the size of the saves as well.

Concerning 'importance', that's it more or less for me. The rest is using some retroarch cores. Never started to tweak the UI.

Thanks buddy! That's the one I couldn't remember (but someone here I think recommended it for space saving).
For RA, I'm only planning to use one or two cores for very frequently played other system games. :D (and it's good that the latest release seems to have cut down the main size by half, IIRC, 12 to 6MB)

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think I made a mistake, I tried updating my Hakchi but when I booted the Exe after the update it lost all my settings. Is there any way I can retrieve them from the mini snes it self?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I hacked my NES and SNES on my dad's laptop just a few weeks ago. I don't have easy access to it.

So if I take my hacked console and plug it into a different windows laptop can I still update and change things easily? Does this complicate matters?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So I hacked my NES and SNES on my dad's laptop just a few weeks ago. I don't have easy access to it.

So if I take my hacked console and plug it into a different windows laptop can I still update and change things easily? Does this complicate matters?

It's easiest if you have the original folder with you, but it's not impossible without.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England