• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Slightly off-topic but what's the input lag like on the NES Classic with RetroArch? I'm getting fed up with the audio lag on the original emulator

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I just got an NES Classic. Is the hacking process pretty much the same as with SNES? Is there anything I should know about, like extra steps to ensure optimization/compatibility, such as Robin's SNES extended support patches?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just uninstall hakchi and set it back to stock, then redo the whole process again on a new version...

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Anyone use the EXTRA SPACE MOD for hakchi? Got 50mb more with my snes mini.

Some say it's a dangerous to use though.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Slightly off-topic but what's the input lag like on the NES Classic with RetroArch? I'm getting fed up with the audio lag on the original emulator
You have a bunch of options to decrease latency, also with autdio. Don't if these options are also compatible with retroarch on the nes mini though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping my NES classic fairly vanilla so far but in finding out I had to do some extra bits to make some games work (gradius 2, parodius) I kinda fell down the rabbit hole of trying to run other system's games on it, specifically genesis.

However after following what I found of a FAQ and Hakchi2.31, I'm not finding any of my Genesis games showing on the menu when I boot up the system, in any of the subfolders. This doesn't appear to be a common problem so I figured I'd ask if anyone knew what was up or had seen it before. Closest thing I found suggested I rename my games (which have a .bin extension) to .md but that didn't seem to fix it. Any suggestions?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I've been keeping my NES classic fairly vanilla so far but in finding out I had to do some extra bits to make some games work (gradius 2, parodius) I kinda fell down the rabbit hole of trying to run other system's games on it, specifically genesis.

However after following what I found of a FAQ and Hakchi2.31, I'm not finding any of my Genesis games showing on the menu when I boot up the system, in any of the subfolders. This doesn't appear to be a common problem so I figured I'd ask if anyone knew what was up or had seen it before. Closest thing I found suggested I rename my games (which have a .bin extension) to .md but that didn't seem to fix it. Any suggestions?
isn't it supposed to be .smd?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
isn't it supposed to be .smd?
I removed the original files, changed the extension, and reloaded them and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also went through and added "--retroarch" to each game at the end of the command line and also didn't help. An example:

Code:
/bin/md /usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi/CLV-G-ZWJUJ/Sonic_the_Hedgehog.md.7z —retroarch

Part of the problem is I think the procedure has changed a few times for different versions of hakchi and I'm not sure I'm following the correct directions for the current version. No biggie though, the NES games I wanted to work do now so it wasn't a total loss.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Canoe is better than Retroarch because it's built in and doesnt bloat your Classic with crap : )

#Purity
#CanoeBoys

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Canoe isnt on NES Mini, but feel free to be misinformed bud, no sweat off these cojones

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. So, what version of Chrono Trigger are people using? Is there a decent DS mod for the S/nes minis?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjx66eJvNo

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjx66eJvNo

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.

In the video he plays Super Aleste which has popping sounds (he points this out) -- this is a Canoe issue (of which there is a patch to help with it). Does it occur in Retroarch as well?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
In the video he plays Super Aleste which has popping sounds (he points this out) -- this is a Canoe issue (of which there is a patch to help with it). Does it occur in Retroarch as well?

Not sure, I'm not familiar with the game. I have a NES and SNES classic I modded ages ago, but I do most of my gaming on an Analogue NT mini / Super NT. I only use the classics a little for camping/trips etc.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The Classic 2 Magic is using Canoe by default, and using all the IPS patches that sluffy and others made lol... I dont even know how recent these patches are. I dont see the Super Aleste patch in here either.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Download their software (the FILES zip) its under /c2m/c2mromtool/data/patches

The Database file also has some Preset IDs listed, though missing some (Clock Tower for example)

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, just looking now. That's atrocious. Really not happy about that all, they're making money of community work.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep. As well as the community patches, it also includes hakchi with copyright notices removed (which is against the license), Retroarch cores, artwork from br1an on reddit with no credit, and someone mentioned there might be one or two console BIOS files in there too.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow that's just really scummy to take people's hard work and sell it with zero attribution or consent. Shame as having a decently cheap and available device to dump your carts to your Mini is a good idea

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. As well as the community patches, it also includes hakchi with copyright notices removed (which is against the license), Retroarch cores, artwork from br1an on reddit with no credit, and someone mentioned there might be one or two console BIOS files in there too.
Mmh, just found it. That's really crappy! Any ideas? Maybe giving a hint to Nintendoage and other sites that already gave it some coverage?

I mean, the people behind this thing should at least give some credit to Robin, sluffy and the rest.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Amusingly, it has DarkAkuma's Star Ocean .ips in there, but that's useless without the accompanying graphics. Proof if proof were needed it's all nicked.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Shame about C2M abusing open source software. When there's money to be made some people have no morals.

I guess it's good that people will benefit from the hard work sluffy put in. Hope he's doing OK, wherever he is.

In other news, a fully licensed and legal release of Genesis Plus GX is the emulator on the Genesis Flashback/Mini. Result.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/21398601

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So "swingflip" seems to think he speaks for all of us involved as he is "trying to come to an agreement" with the C2M company, citing the website "Hakchi Resources" as "the community".

What a load of "bs".

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017