• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I was getting up to speed with the latest hacking stuff, having heard of the many improvements on latest HAKCHI CE and about MAME compatibility, and installed the new version. Flashed the SNES I was using, with a folder system and many games, since I thought I read this wouldn't affect save games and save states.

After the successful update, it only showed the original games in the unit, so I press Synchronize since I hoped it would display the stuff I already had in memory, and now I have a perfectly working unit without the games I was playing and their respective saves.

Any way to recover that stuff?

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see there's now a ton of per-game patches that can be applied but I've been too lazy to do it. Would be nice to have no need for Snes9x anymore though.

arkiokin

Jul 15, 2018
I was getting up to speed with the latest hacking stuff, having heard of the many improvements on latest HAKCHI CE and about MAME compatibility, and installed the new version. Flashed the SNES I was using, with a folder system and many games, since I thought I read this wouldn't affect save games and save states.

After the successful update, it only showed the original games in the unit, so I press Synchronize since I hoped it would display the stuff I already had in memory, and now I have a perfectly working unit without the games I was playing and their respective saves.

Any way to recover that stuff?

This topic on reddit should answer your problem : seems to be a common issue on the last CE version : https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmo..._updating_hakchi_all_my_added_games_are_gone/

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Thanks. Maybe it's better to mention this here: should your added roms not show when updating your HAKCHI, flag "separate games storage" in options.

Having so many problems with this update, yeeessh. Took so many tries to get this working vs running at 1st try with version 2. Flash would get stuck, not recognize drivers and unit, whatever.

VERY sad to have lost save and states for games I was playing. No way at all to recover those after flashing the new kernel and synching back the old games, right?

Last edited:

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Don't ask me how, but after flashing, resynching, reorganizing folders and adding some test MAME roms the save states for ALL games I was playing are back. So happy for Front Mission!

ren-shin

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to correct these borders?

http://imgur.com/P2HO6gg

Edit: from what I saw, the original game has this border, not just the translation. I remember to read sometime ago that Dragon Quest games on the snes where made a smaller resolution than the other games.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I hacked my snes last year but lost the laptop that I used to hack it.

Should I start from scratch or are the hakchi updates not worth it?

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had this amazing dream for a while about how I want my boot screens. Currently They're just a splash of the original logos for my NES and SNES. Ultimately what I want is this scene: Fade in Nintendo logo with Mario coin sound of the era > Fade in SNES/NES logo.

Some time has passed since I thought of it. Can I make this happen now?

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Finally I got GBA and NES working! It was after I changed from gbSP to mGBA and installed the Cores once again.

SNES: When I add Illusion of Gaia, SFA2 and Terranigma I get the message "there's a patch..." but immediatelly another notice pops up "this seems to not work, do you want to download a 3rd party emulator?"
I changed back to Canoe from the automatically assigned Snes9x on all of those roms and all starts with a Retroarch "loading..." briefly poping up and Gaia worked, Terranigma did not, SFA2 freezed at the "Loading..."
I changed back to Snes9x on those two and added --retroarch in command line and all seems to work fine except SFA2 stops for some seconds on "Fight!" in "3,2,1 Fight!"

I can get FFV and Ganpuru work without any translation patches but with those FFV doesn't start and Ganpuru just stops after the first splash screen.
I have FFV on GBA now but the sound sounds better on SNES I guess.

I notice that all games are compressed to 7z by default but could it be better to run some games uncompressed?

Do you really have to add the "--retroarch" in command line?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with Retroarch, sorry. But the reason Hakchi prompts a "patch" is because there's a patch file included in the directory.

Generally, you should say NO to this prompt, and patch it yourself. But this is for the built-in emulator "Canoe" -- retroarch should support games right out the gate.

Why people prefer Canoe over Retroarch is a list all its own but it comes down to preference.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Finally I got GBA and NES working! It was after I changed from gbSP to mGBA and installed the Cores once again.

SNES: When I add Illusion of Gaia, SFA2 and Terranigma I get the message "there's a patch..." but immediatelly another notice pops up "this seems to not work, do you want to download a 3rd party emulator?"
I changed back to Canoe from the automatically assigned Snes9x on all of those roms and all starts with a Retroarch "loading..." briefly poping up and Gaia worked, Terranigma did not, SFA2 freezed at the "Loading..."
I changed back to Snes9x on those two and added --retroarch in command line and all seems to work fine except SFA2 stops for some seconds on "Fight!" in "3,2,1 Fight!"

I can get FFV and Ganpuru work without any translation patches but with those FFV doesn't start and Ganpuru just stops after the first splash screen.
I have FFV on GBA now but the sound sounds better on SNES I guess.

I notice that all games are compressed to 7z by default but could it be better to run some games uncompressed?

Do you really have to add the "--retroarch" in command line?
Re: Translation patches, those can be very difficult and confusing to get working, but they DO work. Usually this is what I had to do (all manually, even with the latest updates):

1. Add ROM header
2. Apply translation patch
3. Remove ROM header
4. Add to Hakchi
5. Change parameters and apply patches in Hakchi per individual instructions for your game
6. Pray and test it

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Re: Translation patches,
those can be very difficult and confusing to get working, but they DO work. Usually this is
what I had to do (all manually, even with the latest updates):

1. Add ROM header
2. Apply translation patch
3. Remove ROM header
4. Add to Hakchi
6. Pray and test it

This solved Ganpuru and I got FFV to start for some seconds with the major translation patch
+ typo patch applied directly after one another but then the screen got black with music still playing.
It seems to work well with just the major translation patch.

edit: SOLUTION!:
Ok, after carefully reading the README file of the typo patch I found this "Also, make sure you use an unheadered rom."
so by following this method I got FFV to work:

1. Add ROM header (started Tush, browsed up Japanese FFV sfc file which automatically unheadered the file,
then clicked "Add header" - maybe this step is unnecessary)
2. Apply translation patch (RPGe-patch to Japanese FFV sfc file)
3. Remove ROM header
4. Apply typo patch (Legend of the Crystals to Japanese FFV sfc file)
5. Remove ROM header
6. Add to Hakchi

I also tested making folder structures by clicking "Structure" >> "Custom" and creating Game Boy, GBA, NES and SNES RPG-folders.
I tried drag and drop each ROM inside each folder and I had to enlarge the window since it wouldn't scroll down
so I guess one would have problems on a smaller screen :D (Guess you could right click and "cut" and "paste" though)

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I was looking for this post forever ago. Is something similar available on SNES? I did it on my NES and love it.

There was definitely a command you could apply for SNES to just have scanlines on every game (no crt filter). I did it on mind. Pretty sure it was just the same command line argument that I entered on the NES classic. However, I did this almost a year ago, so not sure if anything has changed with newer version of Hackchi...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I tried a bunch of ways to get translation patches to work on the SNES Fire Emblem games but always to failure. Maybe this method will work? Anyone have luck with any of those?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what Fire Emblem game. They all should work besides the Project Naga translation.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Couple questions here regarding arcade emulation:

1) noticed in retroarch menu that they implemented an achievement system. Think it's super cool, but I'm dubious it could work on SNES Mini, right?

2) what's the most up to date list or working MAME rom around? Found one on reddit but it's pretty barebones.

Last edited:

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did it, and I'm pretty happy about it! A clean, official-looking boot video:

I made one for my SNES as well, except I used the Super Mario World coin sound and SNES logo at the end.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Robin64 So after all this time does chrono trigger echoes work?
Or is that still "impossible" to get it running on a snes classic?

Sluffy did make a patch, crimson1.bps, which I thought got it working. But I can't find it hosted any more. demi you got it?

But also Bosco posted this on romhacking.net:
For Crimson Echoes you need to use Sfrom Tool, go to the edit menu and advanced options and use preset 123F, SuperFX should be set to 00, and rom map needs to be set to LoRom, it the only way it works correctly in Canoe

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I dont have it, but I feel like my boi Bosco82 has it in his archives

I also thought the game still didnt work even with the patch, it just loaded past the intro bit that kept crashing. If it actually works, I'll add it to the sheet

Bosco82

Apr 3, 2018
SfromTool doesn't seem to be required, but if you use sfromtool to make sfrom's then you need to follow the steps I gave since the rom name in the header still says Chrono Trigger, sfromtool sets the rom mapping to hirom even though the rom header says ExLoRom

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a specific version that is required? With this romhack theres probably different "versions" out there but idk

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks boss. I found a patch file on Robin's sheet I copied over. I'll test it personally tonight (the non-SFROM way)

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If you want to add extra patches, such as the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation, then use SFROM Tool's IPS patch function. That is, always add the original ROM first before any hacks, then press F1 to bring up the Advanced Window and choose your IPS patch from there. Try not to load an already patched ROM into SFROM Tool, the checksums will be entirely different and it may not be recognised.

Totally missed this point, though I must say it's not F1 on my computer but Ctrl+Alt+E to bring up the SFROM Tool's Advanced Window
and then click on the "Add an IPS:" in the right lower corner.

When trying this method I got Clock Tower, FF4,5,6 etc. to not work neither in canoe nor retroarch so had to disable the sfrom tool. Need to read up more about this, oboy, oboy.
Could play Clock Tower unmodded in Japanese in Canoe though.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
SFROM Tool is completely optional. There's been zero proof that I'm aware of that it improves a game versus adding it directly via Hakchi. It may as well be Placebo. But it is an option for those inclined.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, after parting with my SNES classic last year, I've missed it over the NES Classic that I have now so I bought one this weekend.

Now, I had Hakchi ce and I got a prompt to update to ce 3.5.1 so I did. I attempt to flash it and everything and I notice I got a prompt that my system was taking too long to reboot. So I hit okay and I guess I didn't realize that it never really finished flashing or something because Hakchi read the SNES when it was plugged in. I attempted the USB hosting and when some arcade ROMs weren't working, I realized I hadn't put in Bios files and all that, plus I just shoved a bunch of them on there and there were too many duplicates and such.

Anyways, my problem is now that I tried to just restore my SNES classic but I don't know where I made a mistake or if it just stopped working but when ever I try to flash/repair/sync it gives me the too long to reboot message. I plugged in the HDMI and saw that the knock knock splash screen shows but it just hangs there. So I know it's turning on and it starts to get written to, but it can never finish. Even resetting/Factory attempts stop right at the end for this message. What can I do to fix this? If I unplug everything, then back in, I do boot up normally without the splash page.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
So I decided to update my SNES classic to latest Hackchi. What's the difference between using the SFrom tool in Hackchi and the one from Dark Akuma?

Hi,

I dont use SFROM but from my understanding both are exactly the same. Latest Hakchi "integrates" the tool if you choose to do so, it is a toggle afaik.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Has anyone checked the temps on the chips? Wouldn't hurt attaching a heatsink or two on the larger chips? (Let's say my heaviest loads could be Retroarch SNES, GENESIS)

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, this is a really dumb question and has been asked many times before I'm sure --

I've changed computers since the last time I hacked the crap out of my SNES. I did it back in December of last year. I really love my SNES, but wouldn't mind adding borders now or other games (some other rare RPGs yada yada). Is there a way to continue modifying my SNES as is with a new version of Hackchi, or do I need all of my original files and programs? (I don't want to lose all of my cool stuff!)

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
If I'm patching games, and the patch is in the category of 'fix' or 'addendum' would this be the only patch I need to make, or do I need to patch it with an old patch, and then patch it with the addendum patch?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm sure this has been asked before but is there a simple or easy guide or method to import saves?

The way I play games like DKC or Yoshis Island is that I'll go and play some levels I want to but I can't be bothered finishing it myself.

Lazy I know but I was wondering if it were possible.